Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

When was it declared that DeAngelo is not a PG?

Iirc from Rick's posting it's mostly idiot Lakers fans trying to paint him that way and the team hasn't actually given up on him as PG yet. I could be totally wrong but I also like DLo so I hope I'm not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
JJ seems like a bad fit for Philly, but there is a ton of star potential there so I can definitely see them rating him in a higher tier than Ball. If the Lakers take JJ then Ball would give them a potential big-time scorer and his weaknessed are covered by Simmons (in theory).

It would have been really nice to have even 15-20 games of Simmons in the NBA to judge what they should do in this draft though.

MourningView posted:

Magic said they were still looking for a point guard or something to that effect, I think, and they played him off ball a lot at the end of the year (though they were also tanking at the end of the year so). But really I think it'll just depend on who they think the BPA is. If it's a PG they'll move Russell off ball. If they decide they'd rather have Jackson he'll probably stay at PG

I think most teams now try to have two playmakers/ball handlers anyway. If you have that in the backcourt which one is SG and which one is PG is pretty irrelevant.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Lockback posted:

JJ seems like a bad fit for Philly, but there is a ton of star potential there so I can definitely see them rating him in a higher tier than Ball. If the Lakers take JJ then Ball would give them a potential big-time scorer and his weaknessed are covered by Simmons (in theory).

It would have been really nice to have even 15-20 games of Simmons in the NBA to judge what they should do in this draft though.

I think most teams now try to have two playmakers/ball handlers anyway. If you have that in the backcourt which one is SG and which one is PG is pretty irrelevant.

This is why I'm leaning - and I ultimately think Colangelo is leaning - towards Dennis Smith Jr

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

WhyteRyce posted:

When Byron Scott started doing a media tour

Cool Buff Man posted:

Iirc from Rick's posting it's mostly idiot Lakers fans trying to paint him that way and the team hasn't actually given up on him as PG yet. I could be totally wrong but I also like DLo so I hope I'm not

The team plays way better when he is at PG, even though he tends to take less dumbass three when playing offball

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

How do you possibly show up in bad shape. This is the most important month of your life.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

Magic said they were still looking for a point guard or something to that effect, I think, and they played him off ball a lot at the end of the year (though they were also tanking at the end of the year so). But really I think it'll just depend on who they think the BPA is. If it's a PG they'll move Russell off ball. If they decide they'd rather have Jackson he'll probably stay at PG

Is Jackson a good fit for the Lakers?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I mean we've entered the MIND GAMES portion of draft prep so it could just be them trying to goose up the value of the pick. We might take the player you want and not Ball, give us a yacht full of draft picks

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Wait am I supposed to believe the 48 inch vert (not standing vert) is something other than a mismeasure? Are there pictures of him getting eye-level with the rim?

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

kiimo posted:

How do you possibly show up in bad shape. This is the most important month of your life.

be 19

morestuff posted:

I mean we've entered the MIND GAMES portion of draft prep so it could just be them trying to goose up the value of the pick. We might take the player you want and not Ball, give us a yacht full of draft picks

Yeah, we're 10 days away, so now's the time to start engaging in all the smoke and mirrors moves to stimulate trade talks, gently caress with other front offices, et cetera et cetera. With the amount of teams enamored with Fox, there's no reason NOT to leak "hey actually we're gonna take him at 2" just to see what happens. If nothing happens, the Lakers take the best player available @ 2 and move on. If Sacramento or whoever makes an insane offer, then cool.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

EvanTH posted:

Wait am I supposed to believe the 48 inch vert (not standing vert) is something other than a mismeasure? Are there pictures of him getting eye-level with the rim?

For whatever reason, workouts with the Lakers always yield great verts; e.g. I think Luke Kennard notched a 38 inch veet in his workout.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

kiimo posted:

He is a 19 year old and his father is probably guaranteeing him that the Lakers are going to take him so he probably does not care.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Redgrendel2001 posted:

For whatever reason, workouts with the Lakers always yield great verts; e.g. I think Luke Kennard notched a 38 inch veet in his workout.

From an article on it last year, the Lakers give players a much longer running start for their jumps, but have measurements going back to the 80s using their system. Apparently, they feel that it provides a more realistic idea of what a player can do on a fast break or something

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/gambo987/status/874326085713842176

:shrug:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

if Jackson can develop any short of shot, he will be the best fit on any team that doesn't have an All-NBA wing. If he can't shoot, he will be out of the league in 4 years.

How many wings that can't shoot are all-star level? Uh, MKG?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

if Jackson can develop any short of shot, he will be the best fit on any team that doesn't have an All-NBA wing. If he can't shoot, he will be out of the league in 4 years.

Depends on your definition of "can't" but Giannis is gonna make an All-NBA team shooting under 30% from three

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shoot threes? Absolutely. Shoot free throws? I got nothin.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

You have a soft spot in your heart for really smart pass first pgs who are not athletic in the way I have a soft spot for undersized defensive minded wings with long arms and tons of athleticism.

You make a valid point, he is the sort of player coaches love to have around, someone who won't make mistakes and who'll just execute the offense. If some coach takes a shine to him he could haunt the NBA for years as a 3rd pg.

In watching more Edmond Sumner, I think I see his injury-proneness as result of poor movement patterns. He's continued to improve at everything in college. His midrange jumper is nice, he's become a better pure point, with a more solid handle too.

There are a lot of high ceiling/ low floor guys from 10-20. In 3 years everyone is going to say "oh the team/team/team/team were so stupid not to take Anigbogu/Anuboby/Mitchell/whoever"

It is true this is definitely my weakness, I always am pulling for these guys.

I agree on the 10-20 thing too. I don't know which one of these guys is going to break out, just that there is a good chance that one of them does.

WhyteRyce posted:

Byron Scott decided it after Russell was drafted and while it was put to bed by both Russell and the team playing better at PG, Earvin Johnson wasn't watching the basketball team he was put in charge of so we had to pretend like nothing happened the last year and a half and try the dumb experiment over again.

It's not that Russell can't play SG on offense, he's fine off the ball. The problem is that defense at SG is almost entirely based on ability to go through screens and he's legit bottom 3 worst in the league at that. He's an okay on the ball defender though, so he at least has a chance at PG defensively.

This is a sacrifice I feel is worth making for Fultz. Not sure if it should be made for anyone else.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Jackson a good fit for the Lakers?

The only wing under contract right now is Ingram (and even then, while he ultimately was most comfortable on the wings last season, there's still no certainty that's where he stays, Walton was still playing him a little at every position to end the year), so Jackson fits well, position wise. Adding another ISO player to the Lakers offense isn't super ideal, but the David Nwaba experiment makes me think the rest of the team can score enough to benefit from having someone on the floor who is defensive oriented even if their scoring style doesn't fit the platonic ideal of the Walton offense.

Either his or Ingram's shot is gonna have to come along though or Walton needs to find a new offense in a year or two.

EvanTH posted:

It does not look like it, which is a shame usually the Lakers are pretty good at getting pictures of the dude touching the high pole.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I hope you're right too!!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Andre Iguodala

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

Andre Iguodala

If Josh Jackson goes for 55% true shooting for his career like Iggy he'll be a perennial all-star

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm worried about Josh Jackson's jumper for sure, but really only in the context of it being necessary to him getting to the rim in the NBA. He just has to shoot well enough so guys don't Rondo him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

God, I hope so

Give me all of the athletic, long wings

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Lots of guys are all-star wings/PGs who didn't shoot well in college. I dunno about the free throw thing though and that might be more worrying.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Giannis

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Also its not like Josh Jackson can't shoot at all. He shot pretty fine from the College 3.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I hope the Wizards get Frank Mason, they need some good bench guards

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^I hear he has a promise from the Nuggets at 35.

I don't know how it translates to the NBA but he's got that clutch shot thing down. Like, he's one of those guys who have a mediocre percentage but is a straight baller when it comes to clutch shots. I feel like these guys happen from time to time. So competitive they just will the ball in when it matters despite weird mechanics.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Anyone else excited for the first Lonzo vs DeAngelo matchup next season?

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 12, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also its not like Josh Jackson can't shoot at all. He shot pretty fine from the College 3.

Only in the second half of the year, which, along with the awful FT%, is a big red flag

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Has anyone discussed whether or not Phoenix would have any interest in Ball

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does "has been promised " mean a team promised they'd take him if available at their slot ?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

Does "has been promised " mean a team promised they'd take him if available at their slot ?

yes

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Has anyone discussed whether or not Phoenix would have any interest in Ball

Phoenix's GM said he wasn't worried about his dad so I guess that's at least some interest.

I think Ball's best fit probably is Phoenix just because Booker already does everything he can't very well, and their bigs can run. Like I think Simmons and Ball could potentially have some nice chemistry in Philadelphia but it looks like Embiid actually favors something a bit slower.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/gambo987/status/874334952308973575

Top 3 promise? Or doesn't want to create the UK PG Singularity?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel like I heard Ben Golliver say that Phoenix may get the Sacramento treatment from agents this year, too, but in the end Sacramento hasn't had any problems getting workouts this year.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sacramento hired Scott Perry who is basically supposed to be this super well connected guy who has great relationships with everyone, including agents. Basically what Colangelo was originally brought on to do in Philly.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/BrightSideSun/status/874340562303844353

Suns are going to trot out some Chriss/Dragan/Issac super hybrid lineup aren't they

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think it's too early to give up completely on Bender, but also I would not draft with him slotted in to a position in my mind.

There's some chatter that Fultz wants to at least meet with the Lakers. Okay, works for me.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sixers might be better served taking Tatum or Monk at 3 and then trying to trade back into the first if Frank falls

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings brought in Mason twice so they might be eyeing him at #34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Another KU player's career gets torpedoed on the Kings.

• Locked thread