Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Another thing that makes Sparks good is that their upgraded weapons and armor doesn't require additional research beyond the tier. The Spark upgrades are also cheaper compared to the equivalent for soldiers. So upon reaching a new tier of weapons you can outfit all your Sparks with them right away.

Vib Rib posted:

I think a big part of that is how massively boosted critical damage is. It's nearly doubled for any given shot, and there's lots of perks that can hike it even higher. In most of my campaigns, crit chance has been a ranger/shotgun thing, and I've mostly only used laser sights for that. Here, it feels much more pivotal.

This sounds like it would be really annoying when it isn't in your favor. Especially if they didn't change how you can be crit through cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

This sounds like it would be really annoying when it isn't in your favor. Especially if they didn't change how you can be crit through cover.

Spectrum Green has EU Aim Rolls as a requirement, so Crit's separate from Aim.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
It's so simple. Just re-introduce meld the same as it was in the last game. Now instead of Sparks you get humans melded with robot bits and instead of the leader armor you get humans melded with alien leader bits. Also meld with Anarchy's Children so you can get humans with spikes made out of flesh.

Hell, bring back EXALT and seekers while you're at it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm not far into Spectrum Green, not even up to anything past ballistic weapons yet (though I have salvaged a few enemy weapons and am using those, which is a real cool feature). So far I'm having a lot of fun, but my two biggest complaints are:
1. The skills don't all synergize well, or at least not in adaptable ways. Many are specifically limited to a given secondary (drones, swords, pistols, etc) so there's no reason you'd ever want to branch out. Others just seem super limiting. I find the first two tiers especially there's just not a lot of good perks to pick from, which blows my mind because you get stuff like LW2 which makes a real tough call with much fewer choices. I get that not everything can synergize and they wanted to keep class building open but it feels like there's way too many "+2 sword damage" or "bonus to assault rifles" VS stuff that can work for everyone, like classic Aggression. And a lot of things that could synergize well end up being on the same tier, so you can't work that way. Skill tree could definitely use some rebalancing, and some skills (especially compared to others) are just crap. I usually end up taking Deathwatch or Gunslinger for almost everyone's first tier.
2. Supplies don't seem properly balanced as it stands. Again I'm still way early game so maybe it picks up, but you get a lot of really cool modular options for small items, but then you have to buy them individually, and when a single arc blade costs 60 supplies and some alloys, and you've still got to parcel out for relays, new facilities, and new recruits, I find that in practice I just don't use the small items at all. Just throwing more supplies at us would make facilities etc too easy, so maybe the small items/single weapons need to be a little less pricey? Hard to say just yet. Maybe I'm just being a miser with my supplies and should be investing more freely.

Other than that though it's pretty cool, and more than anything I really like all the new items and research, and it's a neat little touch how they're color-coded.

And for those asking, pods seem to work mostly on the same system as vanilla, so an 'all pods activated' mod might work just fine but you will have miniboss enemies to contend with, so bear that in mind.
There is by default a skill most officers have that seems to call distant pods running to their location, too.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Quick question. Do we have a thread for Xenonauts, and if not, where can I ask some questions about replaying the game with mods?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dante80 posted:

Quick question. Do we have a thread for Xenonauts, and if not, where can I ask some questions about replaying the game with mods?

It long since died due to lack of traffic, and here, friend, here!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Very well. I played that game a couple of years ago, and had a lot of fun doing it.

I want to give this another try, and it seems like the X-pansion pack might be a good option.

Currently downloading the game on steam (using the last community beta).

I will try to follow the instructions laid out here, so as to install the pack.
http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14406-xce-0342-xenonauts-x-pansion-pack/&page=1

After that, are there any other mods I should consider?

Also, instead of going for this path, would choosing the X-division mod be better?
http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13414-165xce-v0342-x-division-099-beta/&page=1

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 11, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'd heard that X-division blew rear end, so avoid that.

X-pansion I actually didn't even know existed, but it looks like it's basically just a compilation of some mods I would have recommended anyway, so it's probably alright. Curious about the balance changes though.

I would recommend the cover indicator mod from the workshop. It's been renamed a few times and I can't currently hunt for it, but basically it changes the coloration on cover to make more sense and give you a better idea of how effective your or the enemies cover is. Considering vanilla has serious issues with how cover is communicated to the player, I call that one necessary.

EDIT: Which it seems X-pansion already does, so nevermind then. Also the new aliens in there look like garbage, but the rest of it seems good. I might actually check that one out later.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 11, 2017

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I want to like Spectrum Green but the perk system is kind of balls. All the classes feel same-ish and not at all satisfying to build, at least after 6 months in game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really dig the free-build idea but the actual perks they went with are not really flexible enough to support it. And having a little more distinction in classes would be nice, at that. As it stands it feels like it's just objectively better to take something with high mobility and aim and make every soldier that.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, it feels like there should be a perk tree every three tiers that's exclusive to the base class. Also, I hate that using Overwatch all will default the units that can pistol Overwatch to that. You have infinite lasers! Use those instead!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is there any way to control which overwatches fire off first? Like does the order you set them in matter?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Regarding an expansion, there's also the fact that there isn't much room left in the Avenger. The bare necessities leave you with what, 2-3 spots for rooms?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is there any way to control which overwatches fire off first? Like does the order you set them in matter?

I'm pretty sure overwatch just goes by whoever is closest to the target. I think there's a mod called ambush or something that lets you set up an order of actions to take when you break concealment if you want that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Regarding an expansion, there's also the fact that there isn't much room left in the Avenger. The bare necessities leave you with what, 2-3 spots for rooms?

If there is new stuff on the Avenger then it'd probably be a new chunk that you get when you have the expansion stuff and is just off to the side on the Avenger.

Guess we'll find out later tonight.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Or is it Sputnik posted:

The turret room is a joke and the lab barely has a place. The former can be re-purposed while keeping its original function (or just roll turrets during Avenger Defense as a baseline), the latter could be expanded upon perhaps by letting it manufacture implants or whatever new stuff is coming.

All rooms could be upgraded further to add new functionality without it being too intrusive. Heck Shen and Tygan's rooms could also get upgrades.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thyrork posted:

The turret room is a joke and the lab barely has a place. The former can be re-purposed while keeping its original function (or just roll turrets during Avenger Defense as a baseline), the latter could be expanded upon perhaps by letting it manufacture implants or whatever new stuff is coming.

All rooms could be upgraded further to add new functionality without it being too intrusive. Heck Shen and Tygan's rooms could also get upgrades.

It'd be clunky but they could also do stuff like "Expansion Room: +X Power, +Y DLC Thing" forcing you to cycle out some rooms but at a short-term cost.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bakalakadaka posted:

I'm pretty sure overwatch just goes by whoever is closest to the target. I think there's a mod called ambush or something that lets you set up an order of actions to take when you break concealment if you want that.

I don't know if it's the same one you were talking about, but I have a mod called LW2 Tactical Suppressors which gives you an ambush options if the soldier has a suppressor weapon mod. You're unlikely to pull off more than a few attacks from stealth, but the real value is forcing the reveal to happen during the enemies turn, reliably.

As for the original question, Reddit says it goes CQC and melee, then shotguns, then normal rifles, cannons, and finally sniper rifles in vanilla. I don't know if I believe that though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Full Training Roulette now!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iron Crowned posted:

Full Training Roulette now!

Training Roulette with the randomized stats for soldiers modifier was my favorite way to play EW, I hope some of those options come back.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Training Roulette with the randomized stats for soldiers modifier was my favorite way to play EW, I hope some of those options come back.

My last game of EW was a marathon commander run with random stats and roulette and it was amazing. Especially my sniper with HEAT rounds and a MEC with almost as much health as a sectopod. The sniper once crit a mechtoid for like 40 damage.

I never actually finished that game because it kept crashing during the final cinematic :v:

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Thyrork posted:

Those 2 rooms are without Defense Matrix and Laboratory, the third is the Psi Lab/Workshop :eng101:

Let me just say that I don't doubt that they will figure it out, but I'm curious how since there's almost guaranteed to be new stuff. There has to be, right? :ohdear:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

:same:

I was very disappointed that I was unable to turn those things on in XCOM 2. I figure it fits the meta of a rag-tag team of rebels perfectly

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

I was very disappointed that I was unable to turn those things on in XCOM 2. I figure it fits the meta of a rag-tag team of rebels perfectly

They did at least include a hidden skill so you have uniqueness built into the game. I think it's because far more of the skills were too linked to the soldier's various equipment to make a good Training Roulette. The Ranger tree would have 1/2 being nearly entirely fixed sword skills, the other 1/2 being LOLrandom.

That being said one of my favorite things was LW Toolbox bringing back random stat starts/growth.

Anyways, who here is looking for the DLC where Shen Jr. does her best to invent time travel to bring her dad some heart pills so your engineering can be run by Shen & Shen...only at the last moment for Bradford to inform her that time travel would allow humanity to win the alien war?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alkydere posted:

They did at least include a hidden skill so you have uniqueness built into the game. I think it's because far more of the skills were too linked to the soldier's various equipment to make a good Training Roulette. The Ranger tree would have 1/2 being nearly entirely fixed sword skills, the other 1/2 being LOLrandom.

Yeah, but that requires the Advanced Warfare Center being operational at the time you hit the level of said hidden skill. It would probably have to be padded with new skills for sure

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Long war has a weird AWC that can either waste your time or make comically op soldiers (lol sniper with shredder and rupture).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Xcom 2 expansion is about fighting psychic abomination ninjas.

New enemies, new classes, new environments, new everything. Twice the size of EW.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I'm confused and aroused

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Xcom 2 expansion is about fighting psychic abomination ninjas.

New enemies, new classes, new environments, new everything. Twice the size of EW.

Neat!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
:siren: ALIEN DEFECTOR RECRUITS :siren:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

:siren: ALIEN DEFECTOR RECRUITS :siren:

And Ghouls, apparently!

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

This looks cool and it comes out sooner than I was expecting.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

August 29th, huh.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wrong thread, sorry

LordNat
May 16, 2009
How does this mesh with the main core game tho?
Is it it's own thing or are they added a crazy space ninjas and zombie hordes into the current campaign.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
- The chosen is the ultimate enemies of xcom, gain procedural strength throughout the game. same enemies throughout the campaign
- example: assassin, duty and honorbound, close encounters "stealth" type. hunter - sniper. warlock - a warlock
- xcom is not the only resistance movement on earth - 3 other factions, Xcom has to win them over
- the reaper - stealth marksmen. skirmishers - defectors half alien/human hybrids. templars - mysterious - psyonic wildlings
- the lost - heavily mutated humans, move in large swarms, move in waves. mindless.
- out august 29th

e: this sounds insane

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 12, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gyshall posted:

- The chosen is the ultimate enemies of xcom, gain procedural strength throughout the game. same enemies throughout the campaign
- example: assassin, duty and honorbound, close encounters "stealth" type. hunter - sniper. warlock - a warlock
- xcom is not the only resistance movement on earth - 3 other factions, Xcom has to win them over
- the reaper - stealth marksmen. skirmishers - defectors half alien/human hybrids. templars - mysterious - psyonic wildlings
- the lost - heavily mutated humans, move in large swarms, move in waves. mindless.
- out august 28th

e: this sounds insane

I was kind of hoping before they said it that "the lost" referred to other XCOM remnants but it sounds like they just want to get super weird with it.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I was kind of hoping before they said it that "the lost" referred to other XCOM remnants but it sounds like they just want to get super weird with it.

Vahlen leads The Lost with some kind of hive mind, calling it now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LordNat posted:

How does this mesh with the main core game tho?
Is it it's own thing or are they added a crazy space ninjas and zombie hordes into the current campaign.

I think its gonna be an enhanced campaign like EW was. Its definitely not set after the game so it kind of has to be.

The Chosen sound a lot like Alien Rulers. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire Alien Hunters DLC was just a prototype for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I think its gonna be an enhanced campaign like EW was. Its definitely not set after the game so it kind of has to be.

The Chosen sound a lot like Alien Rulers. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire Alien Hunters DLC was just a prototype for them.

Looking forward to starting a mission within sight range of a Alien Ruler only to have The Chosen and The Lost horde show up.
We are reaching peek "That's XCom baby!"