Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Medullah posted:

Ah. I actually liked that movie, though the only thing that I can still remember is, of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g0bmCPFsi8

I'm pretty partial to the many variants of, "God DAMMIT! Frank!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Casting for the American version of Misfits. It's not anyone you've ever heard of.

I was meh about this but turns out that Diane Ruggiero-Wright is the showrunner so I'm tentatively interested.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just hope it's the same quality British to USA remake that Inbetweeners was.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

I just hope it's the same quality British to USA remake that Inbetweeners was.

Misfits had great characters and actors, but it also had a lot of problems.

Also Jennifer Connoly has been cast as the lead in TNT's Snowpiercer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

This has me interested.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

Misfits had great characters and actors, but it also had a lot of problems.

I just can't see the crude, dark humor really crossing over.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

Well, VM and iZombie are two shows that integrate comedy and drama extreeeemly well so it has a better than average chance of pulling it off. It may not hit all the same notes as the British original but when you bring shows across the pond either way, it's better if the transplant show tries to be its own thing rather than being a perfect copy of the original.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Medullah posted:

Yeah I don't think rape powers is going to fly on Freeform.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah I don't think rape powers is going to fly on Freeform.

She fights for family, and lives for love.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I can see copying the premise, but a full on remake with the same characters...ehhhhh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm trying to think what the US analog is to the ASBO community service thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just actual community service sentences? That was already the case for the time travel guy anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never been in serious trouble so I don't know how CS actually goes down, I imagine it varies state to state. Do people in community service typically serve with the same group over a long period of time? I guess that wouldn't be too much of a narrative stretch to make up if not.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

I've never been in serious trouble so I don't know how CS actually goes down, I imagine it varies state to state. Do people in community service typically serve with the same group over a long period of time? I guess that wouldn't be too much of a narrative stretch to make up if not.

You're right it depends on the state and how their appropriate departments handle case management. Years ago my cousin had to serve 2 months of CS in Michigan and she told me it was mostly the same group the whole time with the only changes being when someone's service was completed a new face took that person's place.

They picked garbage off the side of roads.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Judges can do all kinds of stuff. Make someone hold an Idiot sign above their head on a street corner for 2 days, force a slumlord to live in his own lovely apartments, etc.

Assigning teenagers to help a specific community center sounds like something they probably do all the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I sentence you five.....MISFITS to living in the same house together for 2 to 7 seasons and you had better not get super powers!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Judges can do all kinds of stuff. Make someone hold an Idiot sign above their head on a street corner for 2 days, force a slumlord to live in his own lovely apartments, etc.

Assigning teenagers to help a specific community center sounds like something they probably do all the time.

They can also just say "complete x amount of community service" and require you to find a service to volunteer for and then provide paperwork proving your service.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Wynonna Earp is back tonight. It's a comic adaptation, the second (third?) coming of Buffy, and had a pretty great first season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ville Valo posted:

Wynonna Earp is back tonight. It's a comic adaptation, the second (third?) coming of Buffy, and had a pretty great first season.

Created by my buddy Beau Smith! Everyone should watch because Beau is awesome and deserves this success.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I just finished watching Legion and I thought it was some grade A TV. Really well made and interestingly done stuff with great characters and story and style.

I was just curious about outside of David and the main villain were there any other characters lifted from the comic books? When it comes to any media based on comics my brain tries to find easter eggs and references and such, but for Legion it couldn't really do that. I kind of like the idea of original characters for shows, especially seeing that you can make new characters with unique mutant powers.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Madkal posted:

I just finished watching Legion and I thought it was some grade A TV. Really well made and interestingly done stuff with great characters and story and style.

I was just curious about outside of David and the main villain were there any other characters lifted from the comic books? When it comes to any media based on comics my brain tries to find easter eggs and references and such, but for Legion it couldn't really do that. I kind of like the idea of original characters for shows, especially seeing that you can make new characters with unique mutant powers.

The Eye was in Simon Spurrier's run of Legion.

David's Father and Shadow King most def.

That's about it. There are plenty of other versions of Division 13 in the comics tho.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK I'm doing that thing I said I'd do where I would watch the first seven episodes of the four CW DC show and then watch the crossover all at once. I'm wrapping up the first part of LoT and my opinions about the first seven episodes of all the shows are: they're all pretty good this season. Supergirl has the biggest jump in quality, but that's because CBS only knows how to make shows bad apparently. Arrow's great, Flash is fine and LoT is entertaining if nothing else. Also these shows benefit greatly from binge watching rather than week-to-week so thanks to Netflix and Hulu for forcing this on me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

Also these shows benefit greatly from binge watching rather than week-to-week so thanks to Netflix and Hulu for forcing this on me.

Yup. I think next season I'm bumping them all to binge at the end of season status.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finished season four of Arrow by they way (will probably go back to watching Nikita now) and I thought it was generally fine; it definitely benefits from being able to binge it all in one go. The flashbacks were the weakest bit but I haven't really been into the flashbacks since season two.

Does Darhk's kid show up in season five?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It was shown at WizardWorld Chicago in 2014? They stopped it 10 minutes in and berated two guys for recording it with their phones and then refused to show the rest.

They also played it at NYCC one year close to when it was made. I got to see it. From what I can remember, it was actually pretty good. It just got made a few years too early. If it was made now, I can see it being picked up by an FX or AMC.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 13, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Watched the crossover for the DC shows and I thought it was: alright. The big strengths were the character work and interactions, but they didn't let Supergirl in the mix enough, I thought. Dunno if it's just that Benoist has grown into the role more or they are writing/directing the character different, but she is way better in season 2 than season 1, and I thought she was fine in season 1. Also like how they're allowing Ollie to be involved in the humor more, even if it's just as a straight man. I liked how they worked to make each part of the crossover fit in with the show it was on, rather than just making it a three part story. I was very impressed how they were able to not only do an excellent, maybe top-10 episode of Arrow and still let it fit in organically with the crossover while still honoring the show itself on the occasion of its 100th episode. I was glad they reasonably resolved everyone being mad at Barry, and also how Barry's gently caress up has a lot of weight and consequences this season.

As for what I didn't like, the aliens plot was dull and didn't really make a ton of sense. Reminded me a lot of Independence Day, where beating the aliens involves a lot of convenience and plot contrivances. Also the global threat didn't really work for the show because of the limited budget, I thought the big fight on the rooftop was actually the worst fight of the crossover (especially compared with the Arrow dream-fight and the mind-controlled fight). It takes a lot of work and tech to make CGI vs. IRL fights look good, and they had neither. And then it just kind of wraps up because Barry and Kara put bone-hurting juice on the aliens and they lost a single fight. For their next go round I hope they go with a more grounded and local threat, and make the plot simpler and more organic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Adam West did an episode of Powerless that they didn't get to before it was pulled from the air but NBC has put it up on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUJ8vNugi6c

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So is Wild Dog just shooting and killing people or what

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No they have magic tranq bullets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nice of Dig to share his ammo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/877307627545526273

:thunk:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Remember when everyone said "It'd be better if they made it a show on HBO," one of those people got their hands on a monkey paw.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Remember when everyone said "It'd be better if they made it a show on HBO," one of those people got their hands on a monkey paw.

Hmmm....I wonder if that same person wears a red hat and lives in West Virginia...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I'd agree that it's more likely to be better as an HBO series than a movie, and Lindelof did just knock it out of the park with Leftovers. Will it work, welllllll we'll see.

This probably got bounced around when the movie was forthcoming, but the best premise I think would be to use it as a commentary on screen superhero stories in the way the book is a commentary on comics superhero stories. It would probably entail major departures from the original though, and who knows if fans would tolerate that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Lindelof's last show was really really good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, as I just said in another thread Lindelof just wrapped the most universally acclaimed series HBO has had in forever. For them to want him back on something else immediately makes perfect sense.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I hope this crosses over with the CW shows

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Why didn't anyone tell me Riverdale was so good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

omg chael crash posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me Riverdale was so good

We've been telling you for weeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010