Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

coyo7e posted:

I'm down with legal, codified fat shaming, but then we need to be consistent with applying it to every junk food and fat food company's products. Which would probably destroy a good chunk of the economy and also not work.

Yeah, I think it's pretty lovely to make fun of people for being poor or not otherwise meeting your standards for sexual attractiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

xrunner posted:

Is it because of the milk? I know that's why a lot of the prepackaged Starbucks drinks don't get sales taxed while other prepackaged sweetened drinks do.
Probably. I can't imagine those things have less sugar than a lot of sodas,. but doesn't bubble tea have milk, too?

Maybe it's targeted more at HFCS specifically or something? I don't drink a lot of store-bought sweetened beverages though so I don't even know if starbucks bottled coffees use corn syrup or some other, more politically correct, version of sugar such as beet or cane sugar etc.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 6, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Starbucks doesn't use HFCS in any of their products.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DevNull posted:

I think at this point we have to move forward and push as hard as we can for a good income tax in the city.

I have heard the Transit Riders Union is pushing for a 1% tax on everything over $200,000 or $250,000. Which is pretty good.

Tim Burgess heard about the pretty good idea and of course is working to push his idea, which is a 1% flat tax. Seriously, I can't wait for that fucker to be gone.

Yes. I argued with people in this thread a few months ago about this and some guy had a breakdown about how an income tax only affecting income over like 50k would bankrupt him or something.
It is time to make the upper middle class and rich pay their fair share.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Maybe if those people in the $200k+ bracket ought to stop wasting their money on iPhones and wine and steak, and just live reasonably

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Eat the rich, and fund everything.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Maybe if those people in the $200k+ bracket ought to stop wasting their money on iPhones and wine and steak, and just live reasonably

But you don't understand, my million dollar mortgage and 3 car loans means I'm actually worse off than someone making 20k/year!

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I'd still like to see an income tax linked to a revocation or reduction of the sales tax, but mostly I just want a more progressive tax structure of any kind so gently caress yeah let's do this.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ElCondemn posted:

But you don't understand, my million dollar mortgage and 3 car loans means I'm actually worse off than someone making 20k/year!
Eh, just go sell plasma then, like poor people do. I hear you can make over a grand a month selling it in places like Florida.

The only difference would be that the plasma would come from wealthy (white) people and go to extend the lives of (wealthy) white people - so isn't that like, civic service for a white nationalist?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

So Lisa Herbold endorsed Jon Grant today. She was on the board that hired him for his housing work before. She knows him and trusts his work.

More interesting I think, is that Mike O'Brien make a $250 contribution to Nikkita Oliver's campaign. Not an official endorsement, but still important.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Next up, PNW goons posting about their HOA fines ITT as relevant politics about people someone has heard of and cares about

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

Portland police are looking for a man who stole the backpack and possibly wedding ring belonging to one of last week's nazi murder victims

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wShy3nbLKBQ&hd=1

It's the guy in the black t-shirt who steps off the train around 0:06
Capitalism makes vultures of us all https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/873903211555557377

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah, if anything, it isn't that surprising when you actually see how desperate things are for people on the bottom in Portland (this includes both homeless people and people living in very marginal conditions), addiction (especially opioid addiction) is rampant in part because social services are so minimal in the first place. When you "fall" in Portland there honestly isn't really a bottom.

It is the endless irony that for all the activism in Portland (much of it well meaning), the reality is it has become even more of a twisted libertarian nightmare for thousands of people (tens of thousands?) on the bottom.

It does that long when you walk around the Eastside (outside the bubble) it is very very easy see what the result of Afgani imports and small government has been.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 12, 2017

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

So I know at least one other person from this thread made it out to the Muslim Solidarity event on Saturday. It went pretty well considering how aggressive the proud boys where being. The General Defense Committee, which is part of IWW, organized security for the protest against the fascists. They did a pretty job. There was once incident in front of city hall when a few proud boys rushed through and started throwing punches. The GDC broke them up, and then the cops showed up. The cops of course let the proud boys go, which let them cause more trouble later.

On the march back to Occidental Square, the fascist march tried to intercept us but where blocked by black bloc and then the cops. We got back to the square, and there were a few groups of fascists that were probing the perimeter to find a place where they could get in. After about a half an hour, they made their way though on Main, headed east. GDC tried to deescalate, but the proud boys started throwing punches. The cops broke it up and dumped a bunch of pepper spray on black bloc and GDC coordinators. The cops arrested 3 GDC organizers, and the the proud boys go.

Alex Garland followed them after the march, and posted this: https://www.facebook.com/JAlexanderGarland/videos/vb.23905336/10105968170545420/?type=2&theater

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
business as usual

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/dirquez/status/875038706570321922

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Welp wrap it up boys the post its have spoken

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I agree, Portland is not racist but if you try to not be racist then it makes you racist

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

coyo7e posted:

I agree, Portland is not racist but if you try to not be racist then it makes you racist
Would you say that you are the "Portland 4 Trump!!!!" sticky notes, or the "Yes, but not me!" sticky note

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
My favorite is the guy who signed his racist note.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anthonypants posted:

Would you say that you are the "Portland 4 Trump!!!!" sticky notes, or the "Yes, but not me!" sticky note
I'm the note that I just copied out ITT and that you quoted. Verbatim.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

it isn't that surprising when you actually see how desperate things are for people on the bottom in Portland (this includes both homeless people and people living in very marginal conditions), addiction (especially opioid addiction) is rampant in part because social services are so minimal in the first place. When you "fall" in Portland there honestly isn't really a bottom.

this is true for almost everywhere in the US

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

"Seattle Times posted:

The man who filed a lawsuit accusing Seattle Mayor Ed Murray of sexually abusing him three decades ago when he was an underage crack-addict withdrew the case Tuesday, saying he plans to refile early next year.

A lawyer for Delvonn Heckard filed paperwork in King County Superior Court to drop the civil lawsuit — which last month prompted Murray to end his campaign for a second term — under a procedural rule that allows plaintiffs to refile under certain conditions.

The filing by Heckard’s attorney, Lincoln Beauregard, says Heckard wants to complete drug rehabilitation and believes his case would have a better chance at success once Murray is out of office. Murray, 62, plans to serve out his term through the end of the year.

Murray has denied Heckard’s allegations, saying the lawsuit and similar accusations by three others were politically motivated and meant to drive him from office. Murray, who was a strong favorite to win re-election, announced May 9 he was ending his run. The other three men have not sued.

Malaika Eaton, an attorney for Murray, said in an email the timing of the dismissal “raises questions, given that it occurred only one day before Plaintiff was required to provide answers to questions under oath that we believe would have, along with the objective and undisputed medical evidence, shown his accusations against Mayor Murray to be false.”

So what in the gently caress is going on here? The last thing I want to do is point to someone who is accusing someone in power of sexual assault or rape of making it all up, but given this and previous bad behavior of the lawyer in question, the whole thing feels sketchy as gently caress. You just don't see these sorts of shenanigans with other prominent cases, such as the Cosby case going on now.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

DevNull posted:

Sorry dude, but cops have long been horrible fuckers in the Seattle area.
https://epls.org/251/The-Everett-Massacre

Don't forget all the poo poo that went down at the WTO protests. The Seattle police are so bad the federal government put them under consent decree.

In other words, you don't get to act like the cops are innocent.
As someone who actually lived and workedin Seattle and was stuck in the middle of all that, I wasn't crazy about anybody during the WTO protests. gently caress the out of town brick throwers. Go poo poo up your own city.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

So what in the gently caress is going on here? The last thing I want to do is point to someone who is accusing someone in power of sexual assault or rape of making it all up, but given this and previous bad behavior of the lawyer in question, the whole thing feels sketchy as gently caress. You just don't see these sorts of shenanigans with other prominent cases, such as the Cosby case going on now.

I've kept quiet about it because I err on the side of alleged victims but the lawyer (and his law partner) are scum of the earth. Also:

quote:

The prospect of a new judge, Beauregard said, is “a nice benefit of refiling,” but he added, “my public comment on that would be no comment.”

George
Nov 27, 2004

Man I heard a Murray supporter on KUOW when the news broke go on about the difference between pedophilia and ephebophilia and wanted to call in to scream at them.

"Ephebophile" might be my most-hated word of all time. There are reasons to squint hard at these allegations but don't be such a party man that you go on record about how some pedophilia is actually okay.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

George posted:

Man I heard a Murray supporter on KUOW when the news broke go on about the difference between pedophilia and ephebophilia and wanted to call in to scream at them.

"Ephebophile" might be my most-hated word of all time. There are reasons to squint hard at these allegations but don't be such a party man that you go on record about how some pedophilia is actually okay.

loving gross.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Man Evergreen is taking the white supremacist/counter protest rally pretty serious. I guess it makes sense after that threat, but they're limiting bus service and 'closing' the campus at like 2:15

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Man Evergreen is taking the white supremacist/counter protest rally pretty serious. I guess it makes sense after that threat, but they're limiting bus service and 'closing' the campus at like 2:15

Well given we had a fairly recent incident at the UW they should be applauded for actually taking it seriously before someone gets loving shot.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Steve Ballmer is upset about income tax :qq: http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/kshama-sawant-calls-out-steve-ballmer-over-income-tax/533757541

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Doorknob Slobber posted:

this is true for almost everywhere in the US

Portland is certainly of the more grim side of the fence, especially considering its considerable wealth and supposedly "liberal" politics otherwise. I think Oregon overall has some of the most classical libertarian politics in the country.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ballmer is the worst.
At least Bill Gates supported the income tax, Ballmer is a bad CEO and has bad opinions.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

But his sweat glands powered the region for YEARS

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
For anyone who's unfamiliar with Ballmer's business acumen and economics experience, he really turned Nokia around.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I didn't know a dang thing about the guy and this was the first article I found. How does anyone believe in meritocracy in capitalism when such a pathetic person can become so wealthy?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Lobe posted:

I didn't know a dang thing about the guy and this was the first article I found. How does anyone believe in meritocracy in capitalism when such a pathetic person can become so wealthy?
He bought the Clippers after the previous owner, a racist slumlord, was caught being unapologetically racist. Before that he was the CEO of Microsoft after Gates stepped down. His placement as one of the first Microsoft employees and his early ownership of the company are why he is megarich.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Developers, developers, developers, developers.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ardennes posted:

Portland is certainly of the more grim side of the fence, especially considering its considerable wealth and supposedly "liberal" politics otherwise. I think Oregon overall has some of the most classical libertarian politics in the country.
I wonder how much of "libertarian" philosophy comes directly from Oregon originally being the last pure bastion without black people to much things up

George
Nov 27, 2004

I thought B-17 Ballmer moved away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Everything you need to know about Ballmer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtuDS0ntaJY

Also, hot take on the Evergreen State College situation: Weinstein lost all support as a progressive when he decided to go on Tucker Carlson's show and act like he was the victim.