Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Spotify via Roku, PS4, etc. makes is so valuable if you live at all outside of the Apple ecosystem.

Spotify's family sharing is also great and doesn't require you to share iOS purchases like Apple, so if you don't qualify for a student discount, you can still work something out there with a bit of creativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

maduin posted:

Spotify via Roku, PS4, etc. makes is so valuable if you live at all outside of the Apple ecosystem.

Spotify's family sharing is also great and doesn't require you to share iOS purchases like Apple, so if you don't qualify for a student discount, you can still work something out there with a bit of creativity.

There's so much I like about Spotify but I'm pretty sick of the poo poo iOS app. I've got a 6S and even when it was brand new, it was irritating to use.

I'm thinking about moving family over to Apple Music... trying it out again right now and it's a lot better than the initial app.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sorry to keep adding more bs but you can Spotify from your ps4 and dj via your phone it's rad

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Since I started this whole edu email thing. I get the student discount with using an email I got last decade for one class I took at a nearby community college. Haven't taken a class since. I had to register for that UNI thing but it was just clicking an email link they sent to my edu email address. Then unsubscribing to the most spam I have every received from one source. Holy poo poo the spam.

Maybe this school just keeps everyone in registered status or the verification service sucks. Don't know, don't care. All I care about is I pay $5 a month for AM.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

maduin posted:

Discovering the fact that I could play Spotify on PS4 while playing Destiny and control playback on my phone a few years ago honestly blew my mind. Then I had a laugh about it, as I was regularly doing that same kind of thing with Winamp and PC gaming like nearly 20 years ago.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Just been reading the Macrumors iOS 11 tidbits:
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/05/ios-11-beta-1-tidbits/

quote:

Camera QR code scanning - The Camera app automatically detects QR codes and will respond appropriately, doing things like opening up Safari to a specific website.

This makes me thing of printing tshirt a with a QR code link to goatse on both sides. That'd work right?

quote:

- Smart Invert - In the Accessibility section of the Settings app, under Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Invert Colors, there's a new option for "Smart Invert." Smart Invert reverses the colors of the display except for images, media, and some apps. It's quite similar to the Dark Mode that users have been hoping for, but it doesn't extend to all UI elements.

So, anyone got iOS11 yet? For a dark mode I wouldn't want to invert anything that's already dark themed (Awful app), or I'll have a light mode again. Does this really mean what it says?

maduin posted:

Don't see the problem withSpotify can play via airplay, Bluetooth, Spotify connect, Google cast + on any computer or device which can run the app.

Apple music can play via airplay, Bluetooth, or on iTunes.

So no nice supported way to play on my hi-fi. That makes a big difference alone. Plus I regularly see Spotify playlists shared online. Never seen an apple music one, not sure of that's a thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apple Music will never be as popular without a free tier, which they'll never have.
I love Spotify sharing playlists, it's a great feature.
If you play through your web browser on desktop you don't even get ads with a free account.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Apple Music will never be as popular without a free tier, which they'll never have.
I love Spotify sharing playlists, it's a great feature.
If you play through your web browser on desktop you don't even get ads with a free account.

I can't quite believe that Apple Music doesn't have a free trial at all any more.

When it launched it was free for a bit, but the app and library was pure garbage.

I hear it's better now, but I'm not going to switch from Spotify on a hunch. Spotify has won me back a few times with a free trial, not sure why Apple think that's not worthwhile.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

wooger posted:

I can't quite believe that Apple Music doesn't have a free trial at all any more.

It has the same 3 months free that it's always had.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
And Spotify is in the process of gutting their free tier. Free music is going to be even more limited going forward. Especially when Pandora finally dies.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
So yeah the notice I got yesterday about the 2-Step to 2-Factor change over pushed me to finally switch over. It's an interesting setup - I didn't realize that for some steps Apple asks for the six-digit phone pin. That's different. But I am satisfied with the setup. Implementing it wasn't difficult but there were a few points where my phone got semi-stuck "thinking" or talking to Apple or whatever.

I think that phasing out four-digit for six-digit keys is probably a good step - a few pages back there was a comment about someone who had a security lockout and needed their recovery key, I think that happens if Apple detects a brute-force attack against someone with 2FA OR maybe someone actually did get the password and tried to brute-force the 4-digit pin.

I think the chances of someone getting lucky with ten tries or so of a 4-digit pin is pretty low, but going up to six digits is definitely better.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

wooger posted:

Don't see the problem withSpotify can play via airplay, Bluetooth, Spotify connect, Google cast + on any computer or device which can run the app.

Apple music can play via airplay, Bluetooth, or on iTunes.

So no nice supported way to play on my hi-fi. That makes a big difference alone. Plus I regularly see Spotify playlists shared online. Never seen an apple music one, not sure of that's a thing.

I mean it's Spotify and Apple Music - if HiFi is your concern then you should probably be using Tidal HiFi or Deezer Elite.

That said, AirPlay is a little nuanced in how it does compression. If you stream a source like Tidal - it should be at 16/44.1KHz which is what AirPlay supports. However you're not getting the raw FLAC data to your endpoint, you're getting the decoded audio re-encoded in the airplay format plus encryption. This also means if your source is 24/96KHz then you're getting down sampled.

All of that was a long way to say if you care about HiFi on your iPhone, you were probably living the dongle lifestyle before it was cool with a DragonFly DAC and using Tidal.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I wonder if AirPlay2 lets you stream the now native FLAC support on iOS11.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

I hope so... I got a bunch of albums ripped in FLAC that most of my gear consumes via UPnP off of my NAS. I want to stream it more easily to my phone though.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

CaptainCaveman posted:

It has the same 3 months free that it's always had.

How, where? I don't get any such offer when I look at the app?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

I mean it's Spotify and Apple Music - if HiFi is your concern then you should probably be using Tidal HiFi or Deezer Elite.

That said, AirPlay is a little nuanced in how it does compression. If you stream a source like Tidal - it should be at 16/44.1KHz which is what AirPlay supports. However you're not getting the raw FLAC data to your endpoint, you're getting the decoded audio re-encoded in the airplay format plus encryption. This also means if your source is 24/96KHz then you're getting down sampled.

All of that was a long way to say if you care about HiFi on your iPhone, you were probably living the dongle lifestyle before it was cool with a DragonFly DAC and using Tidal.
By "hi-fi" he means "stereo"

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

wooger posted:

How, where? I don't get any such offer when I look at the app?

Have you ever signed up for the free offer before? If so, that's why. You only get it once ever per appleid.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

By "hi-fi" he means "stereo"

Oh. Huh. I wasn't aware that was a generic term for a stereo. Thanks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

So yeah the notice I got yesterday about the 2-Step to 2-Factor change over pushed me to finally switch over. It's an interesting setup - I didn't realize that for some steps Apple asks for the six-digit phone pin. That's different. But I am satisfied with the setup. Implementing it wasn't difficult but there were a few points where my phone got semi-stuck "thinking" or talking to Apple or whatever.

I think that phasing out four-digit for six-digit keys is probably a good step - a few pages back there was a comment about someone who had a security lockout and needed their recovery key, I think that happens if Apple detects a brute-force attack against someone with 2FA OR maybe someone actually did get the password and tried to brute-force the 4-digit pin.

I think the chances of someone getting lucky with ten tries or so of a 4-digit pin is pretty low, but going up to six digits is definitely better.

You can switch back to a 4 digit pin if you want after completing the setup.

Yes, it's less secure, but unless I'm dead or in police custody, I could remotely wipe my phone before anyone figured out my pin anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

Oh. Huh. I wasn't aware that was a generic term for a stereo. Thanks.

It's not very common in the US in 2017, but it used to be up to maybe the 80s. I believe Europeans still use the term commonly.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Endless Mike posted:

It's not very common in the US in 2017, but it used to be up to maybe the 80s. I believe Europeans still use the term commonly.

That's a me, glad we cleared that up.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Matt Zerella posted:

whoa, had no idea this was going to be a thing. I'm a nerd who rips everything into ALAC but I'd happily switch to FLAC in a second if it starts working on my iStuff.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Apparently iOS 11 lets you remap what the tap gestures do on AirPods. Sign me the gently caress up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Pity the Google Play Music app is such a stuttery mess on iOS - I really don't like Apple Music and aren't about to pay for Spotify as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

wooger posted:

That's a me, glad we cleared that up.

Yeah I thought by HiFi he meant "high quality sounds" (like how we say "HD" for video) which made sense since he suggested Tidal etc.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Y'all are making me feel old. I'm only 28 but it never occurred to me that people don't know a home audio setup is called a 'hifi'.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i'm 28 and have never heard someone refer to a home audio setup as hifi until now.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

baram. posted:

i'm 28 and have never heard someone refer to a home audio setup as hifi until now.

It's been a thing for like 50 years.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

did you know that some people in some places call a stereo setup a hifi

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

According to Wiki it goes back to the 40s and 50s. People had lovely AM radios and integrated speakers on TV sets, whereas reel-to-reel and later vinyl records allowed 'high fidelity' audio reproduction in the home. Now of course we take CD quality audio for granted, but it's a perfectly valid input source. Just because you can run high sample-rate and bit-depth FLACs to the system doesn't mean you must, though, and a traditional power amplifier + speaker combo like in a home theatre system is technically a 'hifi'. Just most people don't have systems specifically for the reproduction of sound these days, they do home theatre so it's part of the TV experience too. But, again, I'm only 28 and I grew up having a traditional Sony 'stack' at home, with a 10 CD changer and all the good stuff, and it wasn't hooked up to the TV.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You kids should google "heathkit".

*mind blown*

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The term "hifi" went out of favor when what was once just the amplifier turned into a big connecting system for all your components. People started calling them receivers in the 90s instead of hifis and that kind of stuck.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Trying to convince a relative who just bought an iPhone 7 that using Wi-Fi calling will help her save money.

She has a well-meaning but I-dunno-if-she's-a-real-techie friend who says Wi-Fi is charged against her data even though she just moved up to unlimited calling, and even though it says in Verizon's own FAQ that domestic calls over Wi-Fi are FREE.

I tell her she should use WiFi calling at least at home because she has bad reception in her area. Her friend thinks it's a bad idea and will result in her being overcharged for data as she was a few months back.

Who the gently caress is right? Is she a moron for not at least wanting to take advantage of better reception, and is her friend right? Or am I a moron for trying to get her into the 21st century by taking advantage of her WiFi router?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Binary Badger posted:

Trying to convince a relative who just bought an iPhone 7 that using Wi-Fi calling will help her save money.

She has a well-meaning but I-dunno-if-she's-a-real-techie friend who says Wi-Fi is charged against her data even though she just moved up to unlimited calling, and even though it says in Verizon's own FAQ that domestic calls over Wi-Fi are FREE.

I tell her she should use WiFi calling at least at home because she has bad reception in her area. Her friend thinks it's a bad idea and will result in her being overcharged for data as she was a few months back.

Who the gently caress is right? Is she a moron for not at least wanting to take advantage of better reception, and is her friend right? Or am I a moron for trying to get her into the 21st century by taking advantage of her WiFi router?

Her friend is the moron.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Her friend is the moron.

Not Empty quoting.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question:

Couple times in the last few months my iPhone has let me know that I have to change my Apple ID password due to excessive failed attempts or some such before I do anything. One time it just alerted me that some strange computer logged onto my account. I've been running a password that's twice as long since then, but I still feel like my username got on somebody's list.

Is there anything you can even do about that?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Is there anything you can even do about that?
You should probably enable two-factor authentication, at a minimum.

Also are you sure those are legit emails and not phishing attempts?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My wife got a fake email from Apple saying she bought AirPods and they were being shipped to Hong Kong.

I knew it was fake because AirPods? Seriously? You might as well say my order of live dodo birds is ready for pickup.

AirPods in stock for shipment. Ha.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

You might as well say my order of live dodo birds is ready for pickup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrImN09K3wE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Binary Badger posted:

Depends on the carrier, but if Verizon says they're free then I don't know what the point of arguing against them is.

IIRC TMobile says wifi calls count against your cell phone minutes, but they've been aggressive about getting people off those plans anyway.