Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I don't understand why they couldn't just jam some generic re-prints in with sets with a picture of the colour related planeswalker casting that spell, just have a picture of Chandra casting lightning bolt or whatever, you can even include the plane behind. There, bam it's now related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't understand why they couldn't just jam some generic re-prints in with sets with a picture of the colour related planeswalker casting that spell, just have a picture of Chandra casting lightning bolt or whatever, you can even include the plane behind. There, bam it's now related.

Creative: actually Chandra uses fire, not lightning, so that's not within flavor guidelines.

Reprint Fireblast.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Look, all these changes are nice and everything, but when are we getting Shakespeare quotes as flavour text again?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You can't print Chandra casting bolt because she's a pyromancer*.

*Part of an argument that has probably already happened over at design.

EDIT: haha beaten.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

You know what starts fires?

Lightning.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I for one believe that Chandra should be able to call upon a goblin army when it is convenient for the competitive environment

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 12, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

odiv posted:

Look, all these changes are nice and everything, but when are we getting Shakespeare quotes as flavour text again?

100% this, and also other classic literature.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

That's exactly the point! One's lightning, the other's fire! They're different!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Clearly they should take the same approach and give us an on-flavor functional reprint of Lightning Bolt.

EDIT: at common, just to make sure Pauper feels the joy too.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Voyager I posted:

Clearly they should take the same approach and give us an on-flavor functional reprint of Lightning Bolt.

How much would Burn be improved by 4 more bolts?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Would another playset of Lightning Bolt actually improve Legacy Burn by that much? It almost certainly would for Modern and Pauper, but Legacy already has too many options to an extent. I mean I guess worst case scenario you replace Lava Spikes with them and do better in some very niche situations.

Clearly we need to make it happen so we can find out. :kheldragar:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Make it like:

3R
Deal 3 damage to target creature or players.
~ This spell costs 3 less to cast if you dealt damage to an opponent this turn

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

Make it like:

3R
Deal 3 damage to target creature or players.
~ This spell costs 3 less to cast if you dealt damage to an opponent this turn

actually don't make that card, thanks

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

odiv posted:

they randomly did one on M14 Pay No Heed after a long drought, and then nothing again since to my knowledge.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Some Numbers posted:

That's exactly the point! One's lightning, the other's fire! They're different!

That was something Maro had said in some article: they wish they had added subtypes to more card types early in the game.

So example: bolt would be instant - lightning and you could have creatures with protection from lightning or enchantments that juice up your lightning spells or w/e. You​ could do the same thing with creatures, ball lightning would be creature - lightning elemental, you could have rules between elements, lightning does damage +1 to water or damage - 1 to earth or something like that.

They tried it with arcane and again with tribal. Neither really worked out all that well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
More instant speed Bolts is only good for Burn.

You could easily replace Lava Spike or Rift Bolt or Chain Lightning with Bolt 5-8

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Some Numbers posted:

You could easily replace Lava Spike or Rift Bolt or Chain Lightning with Bolt 5-8

That's an easy pick. If the card can hit a player or creature, then you replace Lava Spike.

Actually, just replace Lava Spike even if it can only hit a player.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

It definitely is unambiguously better, I'm just not sure by how much because the edge cases where instant speed matters aren't common. Sub-1% winrate increase?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Oh yeah now we can get more outsider-designed cards like in M15 hell yeah

:yeah: It was really cool having a few cards by people with totally different design sensibilities from the core team, and with the extra focus on ~brand outreach~ in recent years it actually seems like something they'd give anohter go.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
If you could build a sealed pool from any packs in standard to run against a league of people doing the same, what packs would you pick and why? I'm tempted to lean towards all amonkhet for the cycling and the hope of getting glorybringers, but I've played very little limited with the other sets in standard, so I'm not sure how it would stack up against other sets in sealed.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Should have used the planeswalkers decks as the place to print generic staples into standard

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

dragon enthusiast posted:

Should have used the planeswalkers decks as the place to print generic staples into standard

Yeah, but having a core set again lets them print Dominiaria poo poo and stuff like Sengir Vampire

Also whatever Duals they want around for the next year

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

100% this, and also other classic literature.

this was some drat cool flavor text

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

They should not, actually because that would be a ridiculously limited supply

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, but having a core set again lets them print Dominiaria poo poo and stuff like Sengir Vampire

Also whatever Duals they want around for the next year

You know, the M10 duals would have been just fine in Shadows over Innistrad to compliment the enemy-colored duals from the first Innistrad set. Sunpetal Grove would not have had the giant flower but maybe a just a bunch of bright flowers instead. Glacial Fortress was probably the only real stretch for a plane-appropriate illustration, but we did get Thing in the Ice.

Instead we got...whatever the gently caress those lands were supposed to be.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TheKingofSprings posted:

They should not, actually because that would be a ridiculously limited supply

That doesn't matter for reprints.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Drafting or playing core set sealed reminds me of playing Magic for the first time, it's just really janky kind of fun Magic at it's base. Where else can I win with Lava Axe for 5?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

this was some drat cool flavor text

They should go back to literary flavor text on cards from core and supplemental sets.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

Previously scarce cards can be reprinted. Of course it matters.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

The best flavor text on a Judge foil.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
When people clamor for quotes from literature on cards, I always wonder if those same people actually read that stuff in their spare time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Star Man posted:

When people clamor for quotes from literature on cards, I always wonder if those same people actually read that stuff in their spare time.

Probably in HS or College....

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Star Man posted:

"having read or seen a Shakespearean play" seems like a pretty common thing, even if Richard III isn't one of the more commonly-assigned/read/performed plays

vvvv same

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's been a while, but I've read more Shakespeare than MTG fiction.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

uPen posted:

Why is that?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

You can use the previous versions if any version is standard-legal.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I assume the point is that cards like duress potentially doesn't need to be in a current standard set because its been reprinted so many times. If it shows up in a supplementary list that makes it standard legal than a card like that would be just fine. It leaves the secondary market providing most of the cards but we are kidding ourselves if it doesn't already. I am sure a lot of cards fit that category.

Its not perfect, but its an option.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

To clarify, they're talking about reprints of heavily-available core set stuff like Naturalize, Llanowar Elves, etc. being reprinted in standard-legal intro decks or whatever so they don't need to be reprinted in sets and take up card slots there.

e:f,b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

To clarify, they're talking about reprints of heavily-available core set stuff like Naturalize, Llanowar Elves, etc. being reprinted in standard-legal intro decks or whatever so they don't need to be reprinted in sets and take up card slots there.

e:f,b

Llanowar Elves is overpowered for standard, silly.