Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Jastiger posted:

It is the parallel of nerd blackface though. Its obviously not on the level of blackface, but its genuinely the same concept.

The main difference is that it is okay to mock nerds though? Their culture needs to be marginalized and eventually destroyed, forcing them to be normal members of the over-culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Aramek posted:

The main difference is that it is okay to mock nerds though? Their culture needs to be marginalized and eventually destroyed, forcing them to be normal members of the over-culture.

Also "nerd culture" doesn't exist. A culture runs deeper than classifying yourself by the poo poo you buy and the movies you watch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chris Hardwick made a fortune selling his "Nerdist" Youtube channel. So I think it exists.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chris Hardwick seems like a nice enough dude but his pandering is absolutely shameless.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Coffee And Pie posted:

Unfriended was one of the best horror movies of the decade.

:agreed:

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Das Boo posted:

It's my PHUO is that it's perfectly acceptable to hate a piece of media you've had no direct contact with if everything you've encountered that's radiated from it is insufferable. And boy, do I hate BBT.

I also hate the defense that you can't say you hate something until you experience all of it. Not one episode. Not one season. No, it's gotta be the whole drat thing. I ended up hatewatching two series for the sake of being very specific in my criticisms because I would encounter that argument so often. After which the same people would ask me why I watched them if I hated them so much. :v:

See also: Dr. Who and Sherlock

Sometimes you just have to experience the fans to know you hate something.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My PHUO is that I don't mind BBT. It's not great (or even good), but it's fine for white noise in the background while I'm doing dishes or something.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Speaking of which, I like laughtracks, and more shows should have them.

I even liked the the classic era of Scooby Doo that had them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also "nerd culture" doesn't exist. A culture runs deeper than classifying yourself by the poo poo you buy and the movies you watch.
Well the elephant in the room is that "nerd culture" has long been a synonym for the autistic and socially crippled using media to fill the vacuous holes in their lives, so making jokes at the expense of the more pathetic aspects of their hobbies comes across as mean-spirited, even moreso when the long-form message is "but these are the good ones; see they can change and get girlfriends and stuff."

veni veni veni posted:

My favorite fantasy is Dark Souls because it's basically all of the cool poo poo and none of the lame poo poo.
100% :agreed:. The story goes that the creator just made stuff based on imagery and concepts he saw in Western fantasy but couldn't understand because he didn't speak English, so it's this beautiful realization of every wide-eyed imaginative flurry you'd get as a kid browsing the paperback covers of your local library, bookstore, or other public book area. And I say that as someone who can dig traditional fantasy.

Aramek posted:

Speaking of which, I like laughtracks, and more shows should have them.

I even liked the the classic era of Scooby Doo that had them.
I'm not going to knock this crazy opinion, I just want to know why

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't mind the laughtracks (whether it's actual canned laughter or a live studio audience, please don't get pedantic about this people that I'm sure are going to point out that BBT doesn't have a laugh track) as long as the laughs coincide with actual funny things. In Big Bang Theory, people only seem to laugh like a third of the time at an actual punchline. All the other laughs just seem to come when the actors pause and stay silent for a second and I can only imagine the audience is probably getting blasted with "please laugh" signs.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Peaches, pears, pineapple, blueberries and coconuts are gross.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Also because he churns out books at a rate that makes Chuck Tingle jealous

Let me introduce you to my friend James Patterson

veni veni veni posted:

Conceptually I like some stuff about fantasy but the genre gets up it's own rear end in its lore most of the time. Game of thrones is pretty awesome though.

My favorite fantasy is Dark Souls because it's basically all of the cool poo poo and none of the lame poo poo.

That's probably it for me, like I keep far the gently caress away from EUs and stuff that makes it way less mysterious and interesting

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Big Bang Theory is mostly the characters being really mean to each other for reasons other than their "nerd" identities.

It's traditional sitcom fare (dumb husband/boyfriend & shrew wife) with a superficial coat of nerd paint, and a breakout autistic manchild character (who only says Bazinga in 4 or 5 episodes of the ~500 they've probably made by now).

The only reason it's hated so strongly and specifically is because people who don't watch it think it's insulting them because they like games and comic books. And sometimes it does, because a lot of behaviours fanatics engage in are inherently laughable. But it's no more "nerd blackface" than Married With Children was shoe salesman blackface. The nerd stuff is just what the characters do while being terrible people.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not going to knock this crazy opinion, I just want to know why

I don't know... :negative:

I just know I do, and I know it's extremely unpopular that I love it. I'm not even talking live studio audience, which is also good, I mean 100% edited in laugh track. It's awesome.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Back in the 90's, there was a short-lived show called Get A Life! on FOX. The network heads demanded it have a laughtrack as per common for all sitcoms of the day. The creators responded by inserting the laughtrack into weird and uncomfortable places, such as a Clockwork Orange homage and the main character drowning in his cereal and staying there long enough to turn blue. One episode ended with the audience laughing uproariously as the main character staggered, choked and dropped dead from a botched tonsillectomy.

That was good use of a laughtrack.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Das Boo posted:

Back in the 90's, there was a short-lived show called Get A Life! on FOX. The network heads demanded it have a laughtrack as per common for all sitcoms of the day. The creators responded by inserting the laughtrack into weird and uncomfortable places, such as a Clockwork Orange homage and the main character drowning in his cereal and staying there long enough to turn blue. One episode ended with the audience laughing uproariously as the main character staggered, choked and dropped dead from a botched tonsillectomy.

That sounds like a really lame creepypasta like all those "hidden" episodes of spongebob or whatever, but considering it was a fox show maybe it's true.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That sounds like a really lame creepypasta like all those "hidden" episodes of spongebob or whatever, but considering it was a fox show maybe it's true.

(Holy poo poo, when did Imgur update their app to be entirely unusable? I had to jump on my desktop to do this.)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mind the walrus posted:

This used to be me. At some point the whole psuedo-medieval thing just "clicked" and I got the appeal. Not sure how to translate it into words though.

Shakespeare wrote works for aural consumption. It was never really meant to be scrutinized as a text alone. You watch a strong adaptation of the material, then pore over the text--ideally in pause/play conjunction with said adaptation--in order to "get it." Every English class that plops down A Midsummer Night's Dream in front of 8th graders does his work a massive disservice.

I agree, but despite the snobbery around it there is something to be said for reading literary fiction for things you won't get out of specific genre work as much as there is vice versa.

I agree with this!

Really, you don't need any kind of companion piece or reader or even much of a background if you're seeing a competent production of Shakespeare on the stage. It's a thousand times easier than trying to read it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Das Boo posted:

(Holy poo poo, when did Imgur update their app to be entirely unusable? I had to jump on my desktop to do this.)
The imgur app has always been garbage and I hate how they're constantly reducing functionality and increasing nag screens in the mobile site to push you to the app.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Collateral Damage posted:

The imgur app has always been garbage and I hate how they're constantly reducing functionality and increasing nag screens in the mobile site to push you to the app.

I know it's gotten less functional with every update, but gently caress. I downloaded the dumb app while trying to upload that picture, but it has no option for link uploads. So I downloaded the gif, and it only provided sharing options for contacts and other social media sites. No share links. I held my tongue when they hid the share links, removed easy multiple uploads and withheld features behind account walls but I mean jesus, how do they think people use that thing?

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

fruit on the bottom posted:

I agree with this!

Really, you don't need any kind of companion piece or reader or even much of a background if you're seeing a competent production of Shakespeare on the stage. It's a thousand times easier than trying to read it.

This is true, I saw a matinee of Macbeth at the Stratford Festival last fall and 2/3 of the theatre was teens and tweens on field trips who ended up being exceptionally stoked on Shakespeare. And my mom's friends with the director and I asked about it later and apparently that was the normal reaction for high school groups. They all thought it was fancy Game of Thrones and the coolest thing ever.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I want to show Titus Andronicus to a bunch of sheltered middle schoolers.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

sassassin posted:

The Big Bang Theory is mostly the characters being really mean to each other for reasons other than their "nerd" identities.

It's traditional sitcom fare (dumb husband/boyfriend & shrew wife) with a superficial coat of nerd paint, and a breakout autistic manchild character (who only says Bazinga in 4 or 5 episodes of the ~500 they've probably made by now).

The only reason it's hated so strongly and specifically is because people who don't watch it think it's insulting them because they like games and comic books. And sometimes it does, because a lot of behaviours fanatics engage in are inherently laughable. But it's no more "nerd blackface" than Married With Children was shoe salesman blackface. The nerd stuff is just what the characters do while being terrible people.

How strongly a nerd feels about Big Bang Theory is a good barometer for if they are worth talking to or not.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

fruit on the bottom posted:

I want to show Titus Andronicus to a bunch of sheltered middle schoolers.

That or the fifth act of Hamlet. Fistfight in a graveyard, a swordfight, a poisoning, two dudes get slashed with a poisoned sword, a stabbing, a dude threatens to poison himself, then a guy who hasn't even been mentioned since act 2 rolls in and becomes prince instead because everyone else is dead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

We Know Catheters posted:

Peaches, pears, pineapple, blueberries and coconuts are gross.
Oh hey 8 year-old me. Well, ok Pears and Coconut are still gross but they have their place.

Decrepus posted:

How strongly a nerd feels about Big Bang Theory is a good barometer for if they are worth talking to or not.
Generally true.

Das Boo posted:

I know it's gotten less functional with every update, but gently caress. I downloaded the dumb app while trying to upload that picture, but it has no option for link uploads. So I downloaded the gif, and it only provided sharing options for contacts and other social media sites. No share links. I held my tongue when they hid the share links, removed easy multiple uploads and withheld features behind account walls but I mean jesus, how do they think people use that thing?
They're the de-factor image uploading site on reddit. I think at this point they're just seeing how far they can scale back functionality and retain userbase.

Aramek posted:

I don't know... :negative:

I just know I do, and I know it's extremely unpopular that I love it. I'm not even talking live studio audience, which is also good, I mean 100% edited in laugh track. It's awesome.
Some shows do make good use of it. For all the poo poo you can give Friends--and you can give a lot--they used the laugh track really well. I just know that in the end I'd take without over with any day.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Das Boo posted:

Chris Elliot is an underappreciated comedy genius.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It was true. I actually watched that show. It didn't last long (surprise surprise) but had some downright brilliant bits of anti-humor thrown in. Other episodes they overdid the laugh track like crazy and just had laughing over every single line.

Mostly though the show was just bad.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the new gorillaz album is subpar, and I feel they should cool off of the collab albums. gotta say though, Strobelite, Saturnz Barz, and Andromeda are good

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spiderjelly posted:

Chris Elliot is an underappreciated comedy genius.
The AV Club did some funny stuff about Elliot shooting himself in the foot right out of the gate his first night on SNL.

quote:

There’s a fascinating moment where new cast member Chris Elliott comes on screen for the first time and is greeted by a short but distinct burst of laughter and applause. At least some audience members clearly recognized this weird-looking goofball from Get A Life and David Letterman’s late-night show. Yet the moment Chris Elliott recreates Clinton in his own image—as a W.C Fields-style surly misanthrope or a Lou Costello slapstick stooge—that laughter and applause gives way to the silence of confusion and non-comprehension. It’s as if the crowd likes the idea of an eccentric, hip goofball like Elliott in theory, but once he starts doing weird stuff, they start pining for the fat guy to fall down again.

spit on my clit posted:

the new gorillaz album is subpar, and I feel they should cool off of the collab albums. gotta say though, Strobelite, Saturnz Barz, and Andromeda are good
I've always felt the Gorillaz were kind of "eh" outside of their singles tbqh. I dug Plastic Beach though.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mind the walrus posted:

I've always felt the Gorillaz were kind of "eh" outside of their singles tbqh. I dug Plastic Beach though.

Personally I feel that Kids With Guns and Dirty Harry are their best songs. And Strobelite

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't Gorillaz like one guy?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't Gorillaz like one guy?

Damon Albarn is the mastermind but there are dozens of collaborators on everything

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You guys remember Herman's Head? Maybe I'll rewatch Herman's Head.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

IMO Gorillaz is 2 dudes

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It was true. I actually watched that show. It didn't last long (surprise surprise) but had some downright brilliant bits of anti-humor thrown in. Other episodes they overdid the laugh track like crazy and just had laughing over every single line.

Mostly though the show was just bad.

Yeah I looked it up after posting that (and saw Das Boo's post), I was just saying it sounds so ridiculous that it reminded me of those fakeposts.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish DnD was a readable forum. I tried reading a thread and I could feel the fedora emerging through my screen like the chick from the ring, and I'm pretty left wing.

Ironically it seems like one of the forums with the fewest honest debates and discussions and a lot of circlejerks and reducing your opponents to caricatures.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wish DnD was a readable forum. I tried reading a thread and I could feel the fedora emerging through my screen like the chick from the ring, and I'm pretty left wing.

Ironically it seems like one of the forums with the fewest honest debates and discussions and a lot of circlejerks and reducing your opponents to caricatures.

Yeah it's gotten pretty bad lately. The main problem is the lack of actual posts with content. It's everyone just going into petty endless derails.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Das Boo posted:

You can copy a direct link to the image.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

We Know Catheters posted:

You can copy a direct link to the image.

I figured out how to use it again today, but only after I remembered my log-in info and accessed my account on my phone. Looks like you can't anon use the mobile site anymore. :v:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lawdy, yes. Even worse is you risk probation for slight dissent or even questioning the tide. Back when GBS had occasional news stories, I thought it was pretty neat you had folks pulling from multiple sources to try and validate info in the thread. That never seems to happen in DnD where if it fits the political narrative, good, don't question it. If it doesn't, you're a bigot making things up lalalalala!

An echo chamber hosed us last election, I'm not sure what good doubling down is meant to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Das Boo posted:

An echo chamber hosed us last election, I'm not sure what good doubling down is meant to do.
I know you know this but I feel like saying it anyway--It's to distract from the fact that huge swaths of the country prefer an Orange wannabe-Caudillo to what they're selling.