Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Best vegetable steamer? Price doesn't really matter. Want to use it for meal prep for the week with broc, sweet potato and brussel sprouts. Maybe fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Progressive-Stainless-Steamer-Basket/dp/B000FKJNI0

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 12, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

Random gear news:

Breville is now the exclusive distributor for Polyscience. They redesigned the Smoking Gun and it now has the ability to stand up on its own without a stupid flimsy clip on stand. Same price.

I noticed this on Amazon a couple of nights ago. I wonder if they fixed the problem where it breaks constantly. If they have then I might consider buying one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Does that smoker gun work? Could I make smoked salt? Is it good at what it says it does?

[Ed] sounds like you can do salt... also it sounds quality. I see the Pro is unavailable on Amazon. How much more is it, typically? and what makes the Pro different?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 12, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No idea about the pro.

I have the original. It works, but the smoke is acrid if you go heavy with it. If you have time, you can smoke a cheese or salt or BBQ dry rub and let it sit for two days to mellow out and then it's great. If it's something you're serving right away you have to go easy on it to avoid the acrid smell, and if you go easy on it the smoke doesn't penetrate deeply and comes off as being superficial.

It's cool if you just want it for visual effects like serving a glass cake dome filled with smoke and lifting the lid to reveal a roast

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Random gear news:

Breville is now the exclusive distributor for Polyscience. They redesigned the Smoking Gun and it now has the ability to stand up on its own without a stupid flimsy clip on stand. Same price.

gently caress yeh time for some weed-smoked cheeses!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

gently caress yeh time for some weed-smoked cheeses!

Nice name/post combo

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

No idea about the pro.

I have the original. It works, but the smoke is acrid if you go heavy with it. If you have time, you can smoke a cheese or salt or BBQ dry rub and let it sit for two days to mellow out and then it's great. If it's something you're serving right away you have to go easy on it to avoid the acrid smell, and if you go easy on it the smoke doesn't penetrate deeply and comes off as being superficial.

It's cool if you just want it for visual effects like serving a glass cake dome filled with smoke and lifting the lid to reveal a roast

So... (and I'm not trying to be rude or reductive...) the only negative you're really putting forth here is not to overdo it? I can live with that.

That said, without overdoing it and making it acrid... you can still get a "worthwhile" smoke flavor?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well, think of it this way... A) Fast, B) Strong, C) Smooth: you can only have two.

If you want fast and smooth, your smoke is going to be weak. I do this for show-off effects or to get an aroma of smoke without the taste. Weak is actually okay for cocktails too because a strong smoke flavor will overpower everything else in a cocktail.

If you want fast and strong, it's going to be acrid. I generally don't do this.

If you want strong and smooth, you need to let it mellow out two days after heavy smoking. This is good for cheeses, maybe dry rubs, salts... maybe cold-smoking salmon but I haven't tried yet.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 13, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay but how often does it break? The old one had a problem where it was prone to breaking.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I've had one for about four years and it has never broken. How did it break for other people?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the original one a computer vac that someone glued a bowl to? Or am I thinking of what the dude I bought weed from in college did?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wasn't the original one a computer vac that someone glued a bowl to? Or am I thinking of what the dude I bought weed from in college did?

Why can't it be both?

Ok so a lot of the imagery is like, cooked foods getting a smoke bath. So there's no way that's slow and smooth. So is that almost pointlessly weak?

I'm just trying to decide if there's enough application in my household if I'm not trying to emulate Ferran Adria with a chocolate flavored smoke cloud you inhale from a balloon made of whale saliva.

I like the idea of the occasional smoky cocktail, cheese, salt, and ad-hoc smoking meats and seafoods (i.e.: same day prep.)

Just not sure if this will do it or not. But I really want it to. :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Feenix posted:

Ok so a lot of the imagery is like, cooked foods getting a smoke bath. So there's no way that's slow and smooth. So is that almost pointlessly weak?

In general, yeah this was my experience with the old Smoking Gun. You get a whiff of smoke on the outside but then you bite in and there's no smoke on the inside. You smoke it again because you want more smoke flavor, and once it gets up to a thorough level of smokiness, it ends up being bitter and then you gotta wait a couple days for the bitter aromas to volatilize off.

I doubt the redesign is drastic enough to overcome this shortcoming.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

I've had one for about four years and it has never broken. How did it break for other people?

taqueso mentioned it had a problem with breaking when I asked about Smoking Guns last year.

taqueso posted:

My roommate uses the 'Smoking Gun' to add smoke flavor to whiskey, which it seems to work OK for. I doubt it is good for much more than that. I believe he is on his second or third one in a couple years, so apparently they aren't particularly durable.

Don't know how reliable that is, but it's something I've been worried about.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I wonder how many peoples' smoking guns broke because they didn't bother cleaning them regularly

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My roommate was using it at a cocktail bar multiple times a night, it would probably be fine for light use. I'm actually not sure if they still do the smoked liquor thing, I'll ask and see if he has more to say about it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

taqueso posted:

My roommate was using it at a cocktail bar multiple times a night, it would probably be fine for light use.

This... seems like an important detail to leave out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Also I think I read the remodeled one was built for more durability.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This... seems like an important detail to leave out.

Yeah I thought the same when I read that quote of what I posted before. Sorry about that..

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

taqueso posted:

Yeah I thought the same when I read that quote of what I posted before. Sorry about that..

Did he clean it on a regular basis? Because I could definitely see a Smoking Gun being prone to breaking if it's getting heavy use and not being cleaned.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
With nightly use at a bar I could see it breaking even if it was regularly cleaned

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Talked to him this morning. They went through 4 smoking guns in 5 years. He says they were generally cleaned very well since they thought the first died because they didn't clean it enough. The last couple they were able to rebuild a few times with bits from the old ones to keep them going longer. The damage they were seeing was bits of plastic breaking off, like fan blades and screw mounts. They are now using something from Polyscience that he thinks is much better. Much less fiddly to get it apart and clean it. It has a flow control that he likes.

He thought the smoking gun would be fine for home use, though.

e: So I tried to google the polyscience smoker thing, and it is a smoking gun?? is he just talking about the redesign? I asked him and he was like "umm maybe sure, anyway tell them it rocks"

e2: He was talking about the Smoking Gun Pro

taqueso fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 14, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Breaking once a year with daily bar use and regular cleaning actually doesn't sound so bad

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
But for real can I make cheese taste like weed with one of these things?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bongwizzard posted:

But for real can I make cheese taste like weed with one of these things?

I don't know, you're the bong wizard

(real talk, not sure that weed smoke is a great flavor. but get one and report back)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just so everyone is clear: there are 3 Smoking Guns, all by the same company/brand.

There is the original The Smoking Gun. This is no longer made. You can still find it, but... it's plastic or something, black, and comes with a clip stand which is apparently poo poo for keeping it upright.

There is the (new) The Smoking Gun. It is silver and looks more like a kitchen torch with an integrated "foot" for standing up. This one is supposed to be more durable and better. It is 99 dollars.

There is the (new) The Smoking Gun Pro Which is black, but otherwise just like the one directly above in terms of its format... I'm still unable to find out exactly what makes it a pro besides "more durable still, for professional/industry use." It is 149 dollars and out of stock everywhere.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't know, you're the bong wizard

(real talk, not sure that weed smoke is a great flavor. but get one and report back)

Bongs are old fashioned and I am struggling to get caught up with modern weed-tech.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Still the best heavy-hitters.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

VERTiG0 posted:

Still the best heavy-hitters.

No, bongs are like an old artillery piece, only wheeled out to symbolically fire on important anniversaries.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

bongwizzard posted:

Bongs are old fashioned and I am struggling to get caught up with modern weed-tech.
yospos has got you covered http://raspberryhigh.wikia.com/wiki/Raspberryhigh_Wiki

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Uh, well this is going to sound real simple by comparison to a cheese weed smoker cocktail gun, I suppose, however does anyone have a recommendation for a vegetable peeler they prefer?

I grew up using just a paring knife, my wife hates that, and I've gotten used to using the peelers she's always had (the straight handled ones, not the horizontally mounted blade variety).
Always had the cheap ones that break after a few months, sprung for a more expensive one that was dull as hell and I broke that one and went back to a paring knife and now A.) I'm not used to using it for peeling and B.) I'm sick of doing all the peeling myself.

Wondering if there's any you guys have had that have been very nice in terms of both sharpness and durability that stand out in your memory. Obviously I can go back to just using the basically disposable ones, but just seeing what's out there without wasting $10+ on a 'good' one or something. Price really isn't an issue if it's dece.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
One that everyone likes is the Kuhn Rikon $5 cheap feeling plastic Y peeler. They're super cheap so you can buy plenty of them, they're carbon steel so they stay sharp longer and they have an angle that peels very thinly so that not a lot of vegetable matter goes to waste. The only downside is that they are carbon steel so you probably should hand wash them (mine rusted in the machine)

Other good options if you want machine washable are the Oxo or Messermeister peelers.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I really like the OXO Swivel Peeler better than the flimsy "disposable" ones people seem to like. Mine gets light/moderate use but it's been ~8 years and going strong. Get the Y peeler if you like that shape better but IMO spending $10 on something that feels solid is worth it over buying a flimsy $4 peeler every year. However, if you're using it every day I can't really speak for their longevity.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

One that everyone likes is the Kuhn Rikon $5 cheap feeling plastic Y peeler. They're super cheap so you can buy plenty of them, they're carbon steel so they stay sharp longer and they have an angle that peels very thinly so that not a lot of vegetable matter goes to waste. The only downside is that they are carbon steel so you probably should hand wash them (mine rusted in the machine)

Other good options if you want machine washable are the Oxo or Messermeister peelers.

That's what I use. It feels and looks cheap, but it's not like it's flimsy, and it's precise and easy to use. Can't go wrong.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Are these "rock" cookware things any good? (https://imgur.com/97B1j3G). They're 20% off and I've been thinking on replacing some old nonstick pans. Says here they can also go in the oven, wondering how they perform nonstick and temperature wise?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rgocs posted:

Are these "rock" cookware things any good? (https://imgur.com/97B1j3G). They're 20% off and I've been thinking on replacing some old nonstick pans. Says here they can also go in the oven, wondering how they perform nonstick and temperature wise?

What are they actually made of? "Rock" and "induction" don't go together for me.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

What are they actually made of? "Rock" and "induction" don't go together for me.

It's a "rock like" surface. They're metal, aluminium maybe?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rgocs posted:

It's a "rock like" surface. They're metal, aluminium maybe?

Aluminum doesn't work with induction, so not that.

Maybe they're carved from iron ore. Very Dwarf Fortress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Probably a porcelain or similar coating on aluminum with a steel layer in the bottom for induction.