Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Glambags posted:

There are apparently "rumors" that the rangers "could" buy out Girardi but good luck finding any reputable corroboration

Thanks Glen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I think the Blues should win the Cup every year.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

DJExile posted:

Vegas/Carolina Stanley Cup Final 2018, book it

Nah, it'll be Edmonton vs. Tampa SCF in 2018 and Edmonton will win in 7 on home ice and everyone will rejoice.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think the parity talk is a little overrated. Like someone said this isn't different from most periods in NHL history, and if you look at the cup runners-up, you see a pretty big list of teams that could have won a cup if the Finals (not entirely a crapshoot, but a 7-game series can still swing by chance) had turned out differently- Nashville, San Jose, Philly, Rangers, Vancouver.

e) it's also funny that the "NHL has no parity" evidence is like, "only four teams won over an 8 year period!!!" like, what do you want, two different teams in the Finals every year?
I like seeing different teams win, and it's been a while since that happened.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I like seeing different teams win, and it's been a while since that happened.

Like I said four teams have won in the last 8 years. One of them had never won the Cup previously. Chicago hadn't won for like 50 years, Boston for like 40.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 12, 2017

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Like I said four teams have won in the last 8 years. One of them had never won the Cup previously.
4 in 9, and directly it means 2012 was the last champion that hadnt won with basically the same group of players.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

noted nontraditional, small-market team chicago

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I disagree with everyone here who wants to see a different team win every year. This isn't little league where everyone gets a trophy and an orange slice and a special visit to Coach's Van if they're "lucky". This is the National loving League of Hockey Mens and having seen the same team win twice in a row, I'm very happy with both the physical and emotional reaction it instilled in me.

So in summary, my very scientific reasoning has led me to the conclusion that you are all either 1) Liberal Snowflakes in Need of a Safe Space or B) Not Penguins fans. Either way, you're wrong. Fix yourselves. I'll wait.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

hifi posted:

noted nontraditional, small-market team chicago

Anybody who says they were a Blackhawks fan prior to like 2005 is a liar. The club actively hated their own fan base for decades.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'm more pissed about television parity than competitive parity

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Anybody who says they were a Blackhawks fan prior to like 2005 is a liar. The club actively hated their own fan base for decades.

so your point is they've had a decade of being the yankees?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I also apologize if this is a really boring debate, but for some reason parity debates are interesting to me. The NBA is huge right now and has absolutely no parity despite a salary cap- in fact, the most successful periods in NBA history have had no parity at all and it's arguable that "superteams" end up boosting business overall.

The standards of parity between leagues are also interesting to me- like, yeah, four teams have won in nine years but it's not like, say, european soccer where the CL final is almost always between some combination of Juventus, Bayern, Barcelona, and Real Madrid.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
adidas posted 25ish teasers for their new jerseys that are being unveiled next tuesday

https://twitter.com/adidashockey

https://twitter.com/Avalanche/status/874321695506665472

https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/874294467192279040

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/874284013451567104

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
confirmation that Calgary are sticking with the awful black C

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

These are really bad. Look closely, there are no more crests. There are literally holes in the logo where the base color matches.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this was a really bad final basically from dumb luck and not because of some warriors kevin durant superteam parity problem. the goal differential for the winning team was +18 in the final 5 games of the series, and the preds did win 2 of them. i think i watched maybe 2 games spread across the series because i'd turn on the tv and the score would be 3-0 or there was some bullshit goal or non goal or review going on. hockey is great but this wasn't a good example of it. also there was no overtime

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

These are really bad. Look closely, there are no more crests. There are literally holes in the logo where the base color matches.

holy poo poo you aren't kidding :stare:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hifi posted:

this was a really bad final basically from dumb luck and not because of some warriors kevin durant superteam parity problem. the goal differential for the winning team was +18 in the final 5 games of the series, and the preds did win 2 of them. i think i watched maybe 2 games spread across the series because i'd turn on the tv and the score would be 3-0 or there was some bullshit goal or non goal or review going on. hockey is great but this wasn't a good example of it. also there was no overtime

I agree that the bad final had nothing to do with parity, you just had very few good games. It's not like it would automatically be a good final if it was Coyotes/Panthers or something.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

whatis posted:

adidas posted 25ish teasers for their new jerseys that are being unveiled next tuesday

https://twitter.com/adidashockey

what's going on with the canucks one? is that a new logo?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hifi posted:

Their crest is white on their blue sweaters, I'm guessing it's just that.

e) the best news is that it looks like the rumors of the Oilers going back to the desaturated colors were wrong. Darkening your colors or making them dark metallic colors (see: NFL Rams) was the worst uniform trend of the 90s, other than introducing black into uniforms.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Their crest is white on their blue sweaters, I'm guessing it's just that.

e) the best news is that it looks like the rumors of the Oilers going back to the desaturated colors were wrong.

yeah i just realized it's just their current home colors. the cropping threw me off

Kale
May 14, 2010

Am I the only one that thinks Guentzel deserved the Conn Smythe more than Crosby much like I figured Matt Murray kind of earned it last year? Might as well rename it the Sidney Crosby Trophy at this rate.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://twitter.com/mnwild/status/874280905384185857

This is interesting. Looks like the Wild might be going with a broad center stripe, like Montreal or Florida. I hope they get rid of the faux-vintage crest, their plain crest is cool enough without the script on the outside.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DJExile posted:

holy poo poo you aren't kidding :stare:

Hey but jerseys will be 3% lighter now so yay!

I'm glad there's no ads yet like basketball but these are poo poo and I have little hope that the Fanatics brand replicas will be worth a drat either.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Super teams are good for playoffs because they either battle each other which is really fun or they get upset, which is cool. You can't have David without Goliath or whatever.

They're also lovely because it makes the regular season mostly pointless when you can reasonably tell which 4 or 5 teams are likely going to make the finals before a game has even been played.

Overall I probably prefer parity just because every team has a chance, it's exciting for more fans that way. It's just also not as marketable to new fans as a dynasty team that Just Wins.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The 80s-90s NBA was mega popular because they were gifted with a cohort of incredibly talented charismatic and good looking (note: not Larry Bird) young athletes who also happened to be among the best ever at their sport.

Sports drafts are idiotic but if you're going to (illegally) use them you might as well get the benefit of having a constant rollover of teams from bad to good. That's a pretty effective way of building a nationwide fanbase.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Super teams are good for playoffs because they either battle each other which is really fun or they get upset, which is cool. You can't have David without Goliath or whatever.

They're also lovely because it makes the regular season mostly pointless when you can reasonably tell which 4 or 5 teams are likely going to make the finals before a game has even been played.

Overall I probably prefer parity just because every team has a chance, it's exciting for more fans that way. It's just also not as marketable to new fans as a dynasty team that Just Wins.

I think most American sports have acceptable levels of parity. I'd never want a situation like Europe where certain leagues have had like, 4 champions ever.

(example: in 83 seasons of Portuguese soccer, the same three teams have won eighty-one times)

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Kale posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Guentzel deserved the Conn Smythe more than Crosby much like I figured Matt Murray kind of earned it last year? Might as well rename it the Sidney Crosby Trophy at this rate.
Guentzel would've been a moronic choice. What's the argument for him over Crosby or Malkin?

I don't see Murray's case either. Kessel, maybe. Crosby would've been my pick both times though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

hifi posted:

No, every team posted one. From everything the team has said, the jersey and logo for next year will be unchanged aside from the league wide update to Adidas.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think most American sports have acceptable levels of parity. I'd never want a situation like Europe where certain leagues have had like, 4 champions ever.

(example: in 83 seasons of Portuguese soccer, the same three teams have won eighty-one times)

European soccer is really a very different thing than north American sports for a lot of reasons and comparing "parity" between the two based on number of champions of a given league is a poor way to go about things.

In other words, there are few things in sports better than a last game between two teams fighting to avoid being relegated.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

losing the alternate jerseys is a war crime

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Promotion/Relegation is never happening in north american sports, no matter how much anyone wishes it

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I wish the league would make the white jerseys the home jersey again.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

Promotion/Relegation is never happening in north american sports, no matter how much anyone wishes it

Because it's terrible and makes no sense with the way North American sports are structured.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Because it's terrible and makes no sense with the way North American sports are structured.

exactly

shyduck posted:

I wish the league would make the white jerseys the home jersey again.

:yeah:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Calgary goes back to the lame black accented uniforms.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Calgary should bring back the 90s sweaters with the sick diagonal stripe.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DJExile posted:

The only way I see it ever happening is if MLS over-expands (which they are well on the way to doing) and decides to have an A-league and a B-league. An actual pyramid will never happen due to the nature of franchised clubs.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they should say gently caress it re:home whites/colors and let the home team pick and then the away team can wear their whites if the home team isn't or their colors if they work with colorblind people. ucla and usc had a football game a while back where they both wore their home unis and it was iconic because of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

e) the best news is that it looks like the rumors of the Oilers going back to the desaturated colors were wrong. Darkening your colors or making them dark metallic colors (see: NFL Rams) was the worst uniform trend of the 90s, other than introducing black into uniforms.

I'm not so sure. The blue looks awful dark, although it might be from the lighting. But the Isles one is right above it in their twitter feed, and it's a much brighter blue.

• Locked thread