Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RBA Starblade posted:

It says "headshot" specifically. Nothing does that currently right?

No. It was the name of an ability in EU/EW for Snipers but got renamed to Precision Shot in XCOM 2.

And locational damage hasn't been a thing in the new series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Locational damage would be a game changer

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

It says "headshot" specifically. Nothing does that currently right?

Probably an ability of the Reaper class: it's been mentioned to be a stealthy marksman kind of deal.

fake edit: also they seem to be doing a fatigue equivalent

quote:

Weary Warriors: Complete a mission with all Tired soldiers and no casualties

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Exposure posted:

Probably an ability of the Reaper class: it's been mentioned to be a stealthy marksman kind of deal.

I think it has to be some kind of new mechanic. All the new classes got an achievement, it would be weird to give one of them 2.

Plus 15 kills in one turn off of one ability seems insane. Perhaps its something that only applies to the Lost?

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
I'm glad the design aesthetic isn't "shiny round laser dork OR tony hawk pro skater reject" anymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

heckyeahpathy posted:

I'm glad the design aesthetic isn't "shiny round laser dork OR tony hawk pro skater reject" anymore.

I want to be able to rescue OG XCOM soldiers to get more of the old aesthetic back without mods.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Zore posted:

I think it has to be some kind of new mechanic. All the new classes got an achievement, it would be weird to give one of them 2.

Plus 15 kills in one turn off of one ability seems insane. Perhaps its something that only applies to the Lost?

Maybe lost units are actually several lost clumped together as a swarm? One health bar for a group of five or more and have some drop as the pack loses health?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neon Knight posted:

Maybe lost units are actually several lost clumped together as a swarm? One health bar for a group of five or more and have some drop as the pack loses health?

They'd have to be for the sharpshooter to not just wipe them all in one action point.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neon Knight posted:

My speculation: The lost are a feral set, so it makes sense that they're probably just 2 HP. Easy to kill a single Lost, but as an infinitely spawning swarm, it could definitely turn the tide of a mission fast. In short, explosives.

EDIT:
Oh, Headshot. Meh, who knows, maybe there are missions with NPC factions that you can give a general orders to

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 12, 2017

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Exposure posted:

I'm pretty sure Firaxis knows not everyone wants Long War style gameplay, so I suspect it will either be a pretty minor thing or a second wave style optional rule.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Locational damage would be a game changer

Apparently anytime you crit it's a headshot

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Well, I'm loving excited.

I just hope they managed to do a few technical improvements to help performance and loading.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Maybe it's a swarm of floating skulls?! Hitting any of them constitutes as a headshot, right? :downs:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I hope they add soldier romance options

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
i'm goin'g to gently caress a spark

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

I hope they add soldier romance options

They're not Bioware

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Bogart posted:

i'm goin'g to gently caress a spark

I'm going to watch the advent defector gently caress a spark

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

Here's the reveal and a little bit of conversation between Day9 and Jake at the PC Gamer reveal in case you missed it earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqTW2tpJqGA

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Zore posted:

One of the new classes has a 'Get over here!' grab like Vipers do with a long metal cable it uses to grab enemies by the neck. There's a cool pic on the Steam page.

I'm glad Rico Rodriguez is still getting work after the alien invasion.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

What the hell is this, the Ethereals have summoned a black metal naavi force? These "chosen" look so freaking generic, holy poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Andre Banzai posted:

What the hell is this, the Ethereals have summoned a black metal naavi force? These "chosen" look so freaking generic, holy poo poo.

Meh, I'm ok with that if they're fun to fight

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
They look like the Advent hybrids but with purple skin. Given they are just advanced human-alien hybrids I'm not sure what you'd expect.

I feel calling them Naavi is unfair given they are ugly as sin.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Agreed that the Chosen look awful, but that could potentially be rewarding in its own way if the experience of brutally murdering them is satisfying enough.

I am cautiously optimistic about all this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
"Man these ADVENT soldiers look terrible, they're just people in black armor" :jerkbag:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
"how about those Sectoids, they just ripped off Greys"

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
Jake has said on twitter that the DLCs will be redesigned to integrate properly if the expansion is installed.

https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/874333843779502081

Jake posted:

DLC has been redesigned to integrate with the Expansion. (Have an "Integrated DLC" option when you launch a new campaign.)
https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/874341097782128640

Jake posted:

Sparks are definitely buffed. Can add weapon mods, and have more health and aim. True tanks now.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

They look like the Advent hybrids but with purple skin. Given they are just advanced human-alien hybrids I'm not sure what you'd expect.

I'm gonna go with this description here. They're alien-human hybrids, ok. I was kinda thinking they were some kind of generic alien race the Ethereals had summoned and I felt that was kinda lame. Anyway, could be worse I guess. I dunno, feels a bit too "starcrafty" and generic, too "badass vanilla villain".

Iron Crowned posted:

"how about those Sectoids, they just ripped off Greys"

I love Greys btw. I know everyone's used to them as they've become a staple of the alien mythology, but I just think Greys look awesome. Menacing, mysterious, callous, they've got it all. And the Ethereals are pretty awesome too, actually. Like a taller, more horrendous Grey.

The Chosen are just the bland type of generic alien. Black metal naavi. But ok, the expansion seems to have cool features, I'm curious.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
But I wanted underwater

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Andre Banzai posted:

I'm gonna go with this description here. They're alien-human hybrids, ok. I was kinda thinking they were some kind of generic alien race the Ethereals had summoned and I felt that was kinda lame. Anyway, could be worse I guess. I dunno, feels a bit too "starcrafty" and generic, too "badass vanilla villain".

I love Greys btw. I know everyone's used to them as they've become a staple of the alien mythology, but I just think Greys look awesome. Menacing, mysterious, callous, they've got it all. And the Ethereals are pretty awesome too, actually. Like a taller, more horrendous Grey.

The Chosen are just the bland type of generic alien. Black metal naavi. But ok, the expansion seems to have cool features, I'm curious.

My point is, it seems like you guys are already starting to get nit-picky about one cosmetic element in a game that is full of sci-fi tropes already

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

I was skeptical after reading the notes posted earlier, but after watching the trailer I am sold. Count me in for battling the chosen.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am eagerly anticipating XCOM 3, but this sounds like it has several things that will make me happy.

Actually, a question I've been meaning to ask those of you who try Long War: How easy is it to go back and forth between a long war game and a vanilla one? Is it just unchecking the box in the launcher? I've been wondering about trying Long War like the Spectrum Green people mentioned recently, and was wondering how easily you can bounce between them or if they end up conflicting just by existing since they supposedly impact the base gameplay so much.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

I am eagerly anticipating XCOM 3, but this sounds like it has several things that will make me happy.

Actually, a question I've been meaning to ask those of you who try Long War: How easy is it to go back and forth between a long war game and a vanilla one? Is it just unchecking the box in the launcher? I've been wondering about trying Long War like the Spectrum Green people mentioned recently, and was wondering how easily you can bounce between them or if they end up conflicting just by existing since they supposedly impact the base gameplay so much.

You have to wipe out your config files any time you want to turn Long War off then redownload it to turn it back on.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

The main problem with long war is that you'll probably want like 50 other mods to go with it so it'll be a hassle to disable and re-enable stuff.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hey Phoenix Point has a new Waifu for you but you might get crabs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Spark buffs means I dont even care about anything else.

Love my sparks

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
For me the chosen just look a bit.... poo poo compared to the other aliens. They look like something from a fantasy game or something. Eh, it's minor compared to the rest of the cool sounding stuff, even the chosen as a concept sound cool.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

For me the chosen just look a bit.... poo poo compared to the other aliens. They look like something from a fantasy game or something. Eh, it's minor compared to the rest of the cool sounding stuff, even the chosen as a concept sound cool.

Just wait a few weeks after release and mods will change them into anime girls.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm pretty pumped. Only thing I've gotta figure out now is if I should even bother finishing the latest campaign I started since this is coming out so soon, I don't want to burn out on XCOM2 already.

There's a good chance some of the mods I'm using now probably won't work for a while after it comes out too. I really like Grimy's loot mod, I would definitely miss it if I had to start an expansion game without it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Zore posted:

Spark buffs means I dont even care about anything else.

Love my sparks

I hope this doesn't break my Sparking pugilist mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Going to pretend the Chosen are Drules and make a Voltron squad now