Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

My point is, it seems like you guys are already starting to get nit-picky about one cosmetic element in a game that is full of sci-fi tropes already

I have nothing against a good trope. But these guys look completely generic. They are like the naavi version of Ronan the Accuser from Guardians of the Galaxy. And Ronan was, I believe, a parody of black metal aesthetics. Or maybe they're black metal Draenei instead. Only, The Chosen look super awkwardly try-hard at being badass villains.

But I'm ok with the alien-human hybrids description, I'll bite. I'm very interested in this: "Soldiers, scientists, and engineers can now be deployed for Covert Actions that award supplies and boost faction favor if successfully completed." Here's to hoping those are even greater than the covert missions from XCOM:EW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I'm confused. Is the expansion occurring alongside the vanilla campaign or does it start after Waterworld mission?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Heffer posted:

I'm confused. Is the expansion occurring alongside the vanilla campaign or does it start after Waterworld mission?

You'd think it'd be after, I guess ADVENT is still around just without the main leadership?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Heffer posted:

I think it's like most Firaxis expansions where it just bolts new mechanics and gameplay concepts into the game (like the Civ expansions that add religion or whatever) and you're expected to just start a new campaign to experience the stuff. That said I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bunch of changes to the final mission or a new mission after it to act as a surprise for people who've played a whole bunch.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Heffer posted:

I get the impression it enhances the vanilla campaign, like Enemy Within did.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So which of the three factions do you reckon is the heirs of Exalt? Templars?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Bremen posted:

I get the impression it enhances the vanilla campaign, like Enemy Within did.
I haven't played in a long time. Is it still possible to game the Avatar clock by letting it get to a final countdown and then resetting it over and over? It seems like there's going to be tons to do post-expansion, and I'd like to experience it all in a single campaign, instead of getting railroaded through a storyline I've already completed.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Everyone wants to be XCOM these days. Even Mario.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

marshmallow creep posted:

So which of the three factions do you reckon is the heirs of Exalt? Templars?

Exalt never existed, remember. They were just an aspect of the aliens' simulations, seeing how X-COM would handle a more covert threat.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Ubisoft made a Mario and rabbit xcom if you need more xcom lmfao.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Seriously why is the first game to copy Xcom this Rabidds trash

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Elerium zombies, stupid looking anime aliens to curb stomp, soldiers that think they're Scorpion from Mortal Kombat, and SPARK buffs.

Yeah, I'm hyped :getin:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Ubisoft game copying Xcom has the exact same release date as Xcom 2's expansion pack.

:psyduck:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I just finished having a conversation about this expansion with a coworker of mine who is also a (casual) XCOM fan. During the conversation it came up that he found the second game much, much harder than the first.

I also discovered in this conversation that he mostly disdains using grenadiers in favor of more assaults and snipers.

I suspect these two perspectives might have some relation.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Backhand posted:

I just finished having a conversation about this expansion with a coworker of mine who is also a (casual) XCOM fan. During the conversation it came up that he found the second game much, much harder than the first.

I also discovered in this conversation that he mostly disdains using grenadiers in favor of more assaults and snipers.

I suspect these two perspectives might have some relation.

I feel xcom2 is harder than eu/ew, I made liberal use of explosives and all that jazz.

Addendum to that though: Victory is (generally) assured much earlier in xcom2, whereas, in EU/EW, I feel it took a little extra time, not much mind you, but still a little more time needed to pass. Though it has been a while since I played EW.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Xcom 2 is absolutely harder than EW. Every balance issue present in Xcom 2 was in EW too. Rocketers are just as good as grenadiers.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bogart posted:

i'm goin'g to gently caress a spark

not if I beat you to it!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I found EW a bit too easy on classic but too hard on impossible, so I mostly played ironman classic. I had to drop the difficulty to easy to beat XCOM 2 for the first time. It's hard. Yes, I used grenadiers. My A-team had 2 of them.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Rewatching the trailer, If this is going to be a Friaxis standard expansion then the final fight with the chosen looks like it'll take place during Operation Leviathan as a murderous showdown with all three of them.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I found X-Com 2 to be the easier game, especially once you got a higher-level psionic dude. Mind Control was basically an "I win!" button.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

lmao if you aren't down with new aliens looking dumb as gently caress, Avatars looking stupid is what makes it so incredibly satisfying to shotgun them

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ornamented Death posted:

I found X-Com 2 to be the easier game, especially once you got a higher-level psionic dude. Mind Control was basically an "I win!" button.

By the time you can get a psi unit in XCom2 you'd be at the part in Xcom1 where nothing is threatening and your squad is stomping everything in to paste.

Pharmaskittle posted:

lmao if you aren't down with new aliens looking dumb as gently caress, Avatars looking stupid is what makes it so incredibly satisfying to shotgun them

Its like getting to kill a Super Saiyan with a gun.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Internet Kraken posted:

By the time you can get a psi unit in XCom2 you'd be at the part in Xcom1 where nothing is threatening and your squad is stomping everything in to paste.

You can get psi units pretty quick if you know/stumble into the right tech tree, and after that it's just a matter of a bit of luck to have MC show up as the first option from that tier. In my last campaign I had a MC-capable psi unit well before the halfway point of the game.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Its like getting to kill a Super Saiyan with a gun.

I have unlimited psychic potential! You pathetic humans canno- *Point blank shotgun blast to the face*

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

Well I guess they're gonna be very satisfying to shotgun if you wanna explode Star Trek aliens.

Man, they look really dumb, I'm sorry. I'm rewatching the trailer and they look so loving stupid talking really dumb lame stuff in English to the camera.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Like anyone didn't kill the Uber Ethereal with a blaster bomb followed by a double tap sniper.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I hope we get to put the new aliens in to a Blend-o-matic to juice the elerium out of them.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Andre Banzai posted:

Well I guess they're gonna be very satisfying to shotgun if you wanna explode Star Trek aliens.

Man, they look really dumb, I'm sorry. I'm rewatching the trailer and they look so loving stupid talking really dumb lame stuff in English to the camera.

I like em, mostly warlock, even when they are talking. :shobon:

Pharmaskittle posted:

Caros posted:

I have unlimited psychic potential! You pathetic humans canno- *Point blank shotgun blast to the face*

The correct attitude.

Cythereal posted:

Like anyone didn't kill the Uber Ethereal with a blaster bomb followed by a double tap sniper.

The correctest attitude. :colbert:

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

"At last! A true battle!"

I can pinpoint my disappointment to this exact scene here. The alien in LOTUS POSITION, saying that stupid line in English, looking dumb as hell with the most generic fantasy line ever.

And then, the Draenei-Beast guy comes in and it's also so completely freaking generic, holy crap.

ANYWAY, I have faith in Jake Solomon.

COME ON, JAKE.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I hope they add the ability for the boltcaster to stake enemies to nearby walls

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The only way to kill the Uber-Ethereal was with a punch while shouting WELCOME TO EARF, you loving heathens :colbert:

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Bolow posted:

I hope they add the ability for the boltcaster to stake enemies to nearby walls

Combine the bolt with a big balloon so you have a fulton recovery system and can recover corpses in Long War.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I hope this doesn't break my Sparking pugilist mod.

I'll fix up my punch-SPARKS so long as the guy that made the SPARK class selection thing updates it.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Can someone tell me when Andre's stopped whining? Me personally, I'm looking forwards to stomping the poo poo outta some smug WoW aliens.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Eh, he has a fair point. They come off at first glance as fairly cringe-y standard issue sci-fi dogmatic aliens.

But yes, it's way too early to make any real judgements based off a two-minute cinematic trailer, and corny can still be good if it's done right.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Caros posted:

Basically the Xcom equivalent of this.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Backhand posted:

Eh, he has a fair point. They come off at first glance as fairly cringe-y standard issue sci-fi dogmatic aliens.

But yes, it's way too early to make any real judgements based off a two-minute cinematic trailer, and corny can still be good if it's done right.

Thank you. And I know it's early. I believe in this expansion, actually. But some people seem to feel uncomfortable with criticism (I understand, I love the franchise too). But anyway, it's just, like... my opinion, man.

And I don't get it, are they just improving on the Alien Rulers formula? I mean... *sigh*... But I think it's gonna be fun. A whole lot of details to be unveiled still.

VolticSurge posted:

Can someone tell me when Andre's stopped whining? Me personally, I'm looking forwards to stomping the poo poo outta some smug WoW aliens.

If Draenei had joined the Horde

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Andre Banzai fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 12, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't mind the villains in Xcom spouting corny, generic dialogue because I get to follow it up with a shotgun blast to the face. If these guys were on your side it'd be irritating but they are big assholes you get to blow up. I want to hate their guts.

The Xcom games have never been about ~deep~ stories anyways and just embracing what makes fighting aliens awesome.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Lord knows there will be day 1 mods to all give them Hatsune Miku heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
I'm hoping these new alien leaders are different enough (or effect the Geoscape enough) to cause you to shift research priorities, change tactics in the medium term, etc, depending on who shows up when. If they all three show up midgame and the campaign plays roughly the same every time, that'll be disappointing.

edit: and also yes they look doofy as hell