Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

gently caress, I was literally about to quote that. Trump supporters really are figurative Nazis. It's shocking how awful and low they're willing to go in the name of people who want to harass anyone with skin darker than a paper bag.

Edit: Goddamnit I'm phone posting. Use your imagination and pretend there is a good dog here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Mick Mulvaney is an idiot

https://twitter.com/nick_bunker/status/874363647858024448

Alter Ego posted:

Ironically, this works out better for Trump because it keeps Comey's testimony in the "he said/he said" category.

some are saying that it could be viewed as intimidation of a witness. I don't know anything about how that works so take it with a load of salt.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Just want to point out that Walker here is proud to make his own sandwich this time, rather than having someone else do it for him.

I don't tweet that I'm "doing it myself" whenever I'm doing someone anyone can do.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

What? Did the Secret Service perform this function for Nixon or something? Why would the SS be in charge of recording or transcribing oval office conversations?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

some are saying that it could be made into intimidation of a witness. I don't know anything about how that works so take it with a load of salt.

We can stop trying to come up with little crimes that Trump has committed. There is already enough to impeach him.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Night10194 posted:

Again: That's actually way more 'inappropriate' than I'd expect from the modern GOP.

Behold: the mythical GOP voter who disapproved of trump but voted for him anyway.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Chilichimp posted:

What? Did the Secret Service perform this function for Nixon or something? Why would the SS be in charge of recording or transcribing oval office conversations?

reading the article helps

quote:

The agency’s response to a freedom of information request submitted by The Wall Street Journal doesn’t exclude the possibility that recordings could have been created by another entity.

quote:

The Secret Service handled recording systems within the White House for past presidents, including Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

Which led to massive GOP gains in the House and Senate; if we get a mirror of 2010 in 2018 then maybe things will be ok!

Assuming the GOP doesn't scare off every potential Dem candidate via death threats.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ringo Star Get posted:

I don't tweet that I'm "doing it myself" whenever I'm doing someone anyone can do.

Everyone's had a ride!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
edit: I am a moron

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The Russian do all the recording :ssh:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Chilichimp posted:

Yes. Part of the Secret Service's job is making sure that there are no hidden electronic devices around the president that they don't know about, so it's pretty hard to install listening devices in the White House without their knowledge.

I mean, he could still have had a tape recorder in his pocket; the Trumpiest of moves.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yes. Part of the Secret Service's job is making sure that there are no hidden electronic devices around the president that they don't know about, so it's pretty hard to install listening devices in the White House without their knowledge.

I mean, he could still have had a tape recorder in his pocket; the Trumpiest of moves.

What about an electoral college victory map provided by the russians, or his unsecured cell phone?

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
So the new question is: does Trump have the balls to criticize the Secret Service for following the law? You know he was really enjoying the 'will I or won't I' routine.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

LaserShark posted:

So the new question is: does Trump have the balls to criticize the Secret Service for following the law? You know he was really enjoying the 'will I or won't I' routine.

Not exactly. All this is saying is that the SS doesn't have any tapes. Trump could have tapes of his own, or another party could have tapes.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The article also pointed out that the SS handled recording in the WH for Nixon and Kennedy.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/874272511512506368

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Quorum posted:

Behold: the mythical GOP voter who disapproved of trump but voted for him anyway.

Ah, the McCaininites.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

This is actually a way better result than I would have guessed so whatever.

Mickey Mental
May 18, 2008
Do you remember when Joplin got hit hard by tornados during Obama?

Remember him touring Joplin and giving a heartfelt speech at the memorial.

Now, picture Trump in a similar situation.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Maybe Trump thinks the "P" is for "Plundering"?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Oracle posted:

Assuming the GOP doesn't scare off every potential Dem candidate via death threats.

Yea, we're only going to see a rise of intimidation and threats to try and scare off any opposition to the current administration.

And while that happens I will be screaming into a pillow while "Truth is always in the middle" guys keep acting like death threats aren't real until they change their mind to "Death threats don't mean anything"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Not exactly. All this is saying is that the SS doesn't have any tapes. Trump could have tapes of his own, or another party could have tapes.

quote:

The agency’s response to a freedom of information request submitted by The Wall Street Journal doesn’t exclude the possibility that recordings could have been created by another entity.

:ussr:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mickey Mental posted:

"Live from Mar-A-Lago..."

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

my bony fealty posted:

Which led to massive GOP gains in the House and Senate; if we get a mirror of 2010 in 2018 then maybe things will be ok!

And it'll only cost us... what? Millions of uninsured Americans? Remember that the earliest it is possible for Democrats to act on policy is 2020, because a veto-proof majority is impossible in 2018 (and any Senate majority at all is unlikely). We're a minimum of three and a half years from undoing whatever damage Republicans can do, and that's in literally the best imaginable timeline.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think a major reason we can't think of any catastrophes under Obama was that his administration was really loving good at preventing bad situations from turning into catastrophes.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mickey Mental posted:

He would probably have a rally there and talk about how great it was so many people came to see him.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

He recorded everything with an app on his personal cell phone.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The gulf oil spill was a big catastrophe during the early part of the Obama admin.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Mickey Mental posted:

"Here in Joplin, we have the biggest tornadoes. The biggest! And I promise you, next time, our tornadoes will be even bigger! Let's make America great again!"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

He would probably have a rally there and talk about how great it was so many people came to see him.

He recorded everything with an app on his personal cell phone.

I wouldn't doubt this for a second. I sure do hope this is also his "unsecured" personal phone.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Night10194 posted:

I think a major reason we can't think of any catastrophes under Obama was that his administration was really loving good at preventing bad situations from turning into catastrophes.

It's always the moral imperative for those with authority to practice deescalation, which Obama was fantastic at. Unfortunately there's a large base of Americans out there who viewed him as being weak for that practice. My prediction is that when something major inevitably happens on Trump's watch, he'll react with a hyper-aggression that will only make things more dire.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Chilichimp posted:

The ACA was also widely unpopular at the time of it's passage and for years after the fact.

Republicans can just cite that poo poo whenever this is brought up, so it's not the silver bullet I want it to be.

Well yeah, but the political careers for a lot of Democrats came to an end because of the ACA vote. It can be worth it if you are achieving a substantial policy goal that your party has fought for generations, but the GOP appears to be throwing away their house majority for nothing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Fart City posted:

It's always the moral imperative for those with authority to practice deescalation, which Obama was fantastic at. Unfortunately there's a large base of Americans out there who viewed him as being weak for that practice. My prediction is that when something major inevitably happens on Trump's watch, he'll react with a hyper-aggression that will only make things more dire.

Isn't this happening right now re: Qatar?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Night10194 posted:

Another part being that most of the bad situations or catastrophes WEREN'T CAUSED BY THE PRESIDENT HIMSELF.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Mickey Mental posted:

Wonderful state, Missouri. They voted for me in the last election, you know. The biggest landslide ever, some say.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rigel posted:

Well yeah, but the political careers for a lot of Democrats came to an end because of the ACA vote. It can be worth it if you are achieving a substantial policy goal that your party has fought for generations, but the GOP appears to be throwing away their house majority for nothing.

Nothing? *NOTHING*? This will kill THOUSANDS, possibly MILLIONS of poors! The greatest achievement possible in modern conservativism and you call it nothing?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tarezax posted:

Isn't this happening right now re: Qatar?

I think it's less Trump being aggressive than the Saudis were really nice to him and he's a moron with a gutted State Department so no one told him going after Qatar was a bad idea because they're an ally and have a major USAF base + CENTCOM.

Don't forget the Trump doctrine: he will also do the most stupid and petty thing for the stupidest, pettiest reasons.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rigel posted:

Their House majority is probably gone thanks to Trump anyway.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
When considering actions of the Trump administration, the most likely explanation is stupidity and petty grudges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If, when all this dust clears, we hold the field in 2020, we'd better gerrymander the ever-loving poo poo out of everything.

• Locked thread