Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Many games already offer nuanced and challenging social commentary so it feels like we're having this conversation 10 years ago.

I mean you're not going to find it in an Ubisoft game but that's kind of by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It's more about what's feasible than what's possible. Yeah it's probably possible to make a nuanced story so complex that it provides an interesting social commentary and a message that can be easily understood while also saying a lot of poignant stuff. But it's not feasible because the game only has a small amount of time/space to deliver that message to you, not to mention the skill it'd take to implement such a message.

I would play this.

as they say, rome wasn't built in a day. it's not like they'll start making this sort of game tomorrow, but there are clear attempts at attempting to better the medium, and i believe they'll keep working at it.

and not all social commentaries need to be deep af or anything. look at the new wolfenstein games for instance. "nazis should be shot" isn't particularly hard to do but it is nevertheless correct

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I mean you could really ask the same question about a lot of blockbuster movies- why is the writing not better? because it kinda doesn't matter for what they're trying to accomplish with the project I guess. Nobody is gonna give a poo poo if like Transformers 5 or whatever has stellar, thoughtfully written and well-delivered dialogue and a masterfully connected overarching story that makes a genuine emotional connection with its audience.

There are a lot of indie games that kinda fill that niche now yeah? Just the bigger projects seem to kinda not care about it more often than not

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

My face when I suddenly realize that there is inevitably going to be a movie about the Minecraft story :stonklol:

Hopefully not until Masters of Doom is made as a prestigious Oscar-bait biopic.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Tom Hardy as John Romero please

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Guy Mann posted:

Hopefully not until Masters of Doom is made as a prestigious Oscar-bait biopic.

i would love this

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Monkey Fracas posted:

I mean you could really ask the same question about a lot of blockbuster movies- why is the writing not better? because it kinda doesn't matter for what they're trying to accomplish with the project I guess. Nobody is gonna give a poo poo if like Transformers 5 or whatever has stellar, thoughtfully written and well-delivered dialogue and a masterfully connected overarching story that makes a genuine emotional connection with its audience.

There are a lot of indie games that kinda fill that niche now yeah? Just the bigger projects seem to kinda not care about it more often than not

Yeah this basically how I feel. Big studio games don't tell great stories because they don't want to tell great stories. That isn't their aim (usually). For them the writing is just something that facilitates whatever it is they want to do with their game from a play perspective. They don't take risks on the writing, and a result they don't make gems or turds very often.

It's the indies and small studios that takes risks. They produce the gems, but they also produce a lot of trash. If you are looking for great or innovative writing in games the way to find is sifting for the diamonds in the rough from the small productions.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Well in the first game we saw a butterfly come to symbolize Max's branching realities through rewinding time, aka the butterfly effect. This game appears to prominently feature a raven, which are commonly associated with prophecy in many cultures. So maybe the gimmick of this game will be seeing glimpses into the future and trying to figure out how your decisions in the present will affect them. Who knows!

Coming back to this again but the more I think about it it kind of makes sense. Max at the start of Life is Strange is insecure and socially awkward so giving her the ability to literally take back her mistakes fits with her character. Chloe, meanwhile, is impulsive and bitter about the past so her having some kind of means to predict the future would be pretty fitting as well.

Not that it'd help much considering where she is in her life at the start of the main game but it's a neat idea. Besides, it's a game about choices so they don't necessarily have to be locked into following the continuity to the letter, maybe toss in a few alternate endings to mix things up a bit.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish jedi outcast could be consistently fun, instead of following up every fun moment with "and now here's a million enemies you will never want to bother with killing who slowly chip off your health and shoot through your lightsaber"

it makes me appreciate how most of jedi academy was lightsaber duels

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

Dayy #51524526 of continuing to play video games without paying attention to a single word said by the creators of video games: I am still fat, dumb, and happy, and gosh darn it I like it that way

get this motherfucker: the devs words, are already in the game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Clearly the solution is to make your message so overt as to make a dragon of racism for you to vanquish.

an actual plot point from a Tales game

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i wish jedi outcast could be consistently fun, instead of following up every fun moment with "and now here's a million enemies you will never want to bother with killing who slowly chip off your health and shoot through your lightsaber"

Yea, there's some questionable level design in Outcast.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaMh5570q8E

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
http://i.imgur.com/HyX0eKG.gifv

edit: Wrong thread but I'm leaving it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
oh, drat, you can't get much earlier than that!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol Best bit of Rev 2

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

glam rock hamhock posted:

Michael Fassbender as John Carmack
Diego Luna as Adrian Carmack
Shia LaBeouf as Tom Hall
Michael Shannon as Scott Miller
Brie Larson as Brenda Brathwaite

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Colonel posted:

There's some incredibly bad levels in that game and it's why I usually just replay Academy instead.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sakurazuka posted:

lol Best bit of Rev 2

Claire owns

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

Clearly the solution is to make your message so overt as to make a dragon of racism for you to vanquish.

an actual plot point from a Tales game

please petition bamco to release tales of rebirth in english

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Looper posted:

oh, drat, you can't get much earlier than that!

Earliest Xccess

eXclusive to XB1X

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWNjC02MG7Y

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Everybody thought that you win E3 by showing actual games but Devolver shot the moon and won by not showing any new games at all

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Anyways, my plans for the day are to go to my local cinema and see the new Alien movie and then see the Sony Press Conference. Will today be a day of joy, horrible disappointment or and interesting combination of both? Only time will tell!

my plans for today are http://420.moe/

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hell persona 5 was a critique of Japanese culture and politics

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

:yeah:

Yesh Batman, I will make you my bish

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat, I only now caught up with Devolver's E3 conference, it's great.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yeah, that was good. I didn't expect that.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I actually didn't like the devolver press conference. It felt like it was trying too hard. However, I'm glad that other people enjoyed it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Trying too hard is the entire purpose of E3.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

They tried hard but went all the way and were 100% into it and it paid off, it's like a little theatre piece, I really liked it. Also for an expo conference format it's definitely one for the books.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They showed BG&E 2, it's a prequel and everyone swears a lot now

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also still just a CG cutscene

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Trying too hard is the entire purpose of E3.

Well yeah, but when speakers in the other press conferences try too hard to be funny, everyone just kind of cringes, but because devolver put some effort in, it suddenly makes it one of the highlights of the e3?

Maybe I just went in with the wrong expectations, since people were saying it was like something out of Eric Andre. Instead, I tuned in and saw fake amateur wrestling and a segment with what looked like someone related to twitch? It felt like Kung fury, in that it just didn't hit the right notes with me. They do deserve props though for having 12 hours of footage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Here thread, have some anime

Yep, and the girl in the upper left corner is the main character from Code of Princess (if you remember that game)

Edit: Honestly the game looks pretty underwhelming, but it was cool to see those two in a fighting game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU7jOgZFTjM

I like some of the games these characters are from but I don't like this at all.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The overnight stream was cool but this was the best part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqPT9hyPANs

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Instead, I tuned in and saw fake amateur wrestling and a segment with what looked like someone related to twitch?
Wait, what? That's not it, watch the 14 minute segment posted above.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Well yeah, but when speakers in the other press conferences try too hard to be funny, everyone just kind of cringes, but because devolver put some effort in, it suddenly makes it one of the highlights of the e3?

Maybe I just went in with the wrong expectations, since people were saying it was like something out of Eric Andre. Instead, I tuned in and saw fake amateur wrestling and a segment with what looked like someone related to twitch? It felt like Kung fury, in that it just didn't hit the right notes with me. They do deserve props though for having 12 hours of footage.

That was the Twitch show. Devolvers is like 15 minutes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

My face when I suddenly realize that there is inevitably going to be a movie about the Minecraft story :stonklol:

You mean this doesn't count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2nb_zAElJI

I got this free in some humble bundle and I watched maybe 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Yeah the twitch pre pre show was load of hot garbage but the Devolver "conference" was great

• Locked thread