Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Joe Lacob would love a game 6. He gets like 12 million from seat revenue alone per home game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Tae posted:

Joe Lacob would love a game 6. He gets like 12 million from seat revenue alone per home game.

5 beers a head

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Cool Buff Man posted:

5 beers glasses of wine a head

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

pretty sure warriors_fan.jpg was holding some kind of mixed drink

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Cool Buff Man posted:

5 beers slices of avocado toast a head

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tae posted:

game 6 would be played at cleveland though

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if the cavs win the series i was gonna get a cavs jersey with durant's name on it but they won't let me use durant's name :mad:

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Tae posted:

Yes, this makes alot of sense: let's risk losing in the Finals AGAIN in epic fashion, and give up on all the revenue from being remembered as a legendarily great team, just so I can make an extra $12 million dollars, when I'm already a multi-billionaire who spends $12 million each month just on gas for my fleet of Ferrari's. Oh, and we only get half (60% as the home team?) of that revenue anyway.

Perfect sense.

Oh, and as mentioned, Game 6 would be played in Cleveland anyway.

In non-conspiracy land, very very few NBA owners are owners because they need to make money from the team. The Warriors are hugely profitable without trying to extend series artificially. This is a terrible argument.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 12, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

LeBron is under contract for next year, right?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The B_36 posted:

In non-conspiracy land, very very few NBA owners are owners because they need to make money from the team. The Warriors are hugely profitable without trying to extend series artificially. This is a terrible argument.

Rich people never do shady things to make more money.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The B_36 posted:

Yes, this makes alot of sense: let's risk losing in the Finals AGAIN in epic fashion, and give up on all the revenue from being remembered as a legendarily great team, just so I can make an extra $12 million dollars, when I'm already a multi-billionaire who spends $12 million each month just on gas for my fleet of Ferrari's. Oh, and we only get half (60% as the home team?) of that revenue anyway.

Perfect sense.

Oh, and as mentioned, Game 6 would be played in Cleveland anyway.

Not that I agree with the original sentiment, but I think you are drastically underestimating​ the irrational+self destructive greed of modern billionaires.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The B_36 posted:

Perfect sense.

You're not tapping into the mindset of billionaire sports team owners or the league at all. No amount of money will ever be enough.

None of these guys who buy sports teams remotely NEED them. There are billionaires out there who are perfectly content to sit on their money anonymously and increase it conservatively in a variety of boring ways. Then there are guys out there who are billionaires and are lamenting that they're not trillionaires.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

LeBron is under contract for next year, right?

3 year 100mil with the last being a player option I think

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Lockback posted:

Rich people never do shady things to make more money.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Not that I agree with the original sentiment, but I think you are drastically underestimating​ the irrational+self destructive greed of modern billionaires.

Zogo posted:

You're not tapping into the mindset of billionaire sports team owners or the league at all. No amount of money will ever be enough.

None of these guys who buy sports teams remotely NEED them. There are billionaires out there who are perfectly content to sit on their money anonymously and increase it conservatively in a variety of boring ways. Then there are guys out there who are billionaires and are lamenting that they're not trillionaires.

None of this is evidence of anything. As in every other conspiracy, just because it is possible that something shady CAN happen, that doesn't mean you should assume that something shady IS happening. Yes, yes, I know, "open your eyes sheeple!" and all that, but that isn't a good argument either guys.

edit: as for billionaires wanting to become trillionaires, if that's the case, they're all smart enough to know that fixing games for the sports team play thing isn't the most effective way of doing it - they'd do it with something boring that isn't on national TV with tens of millions of people watching and analyzing it, like stock manipulation. The ultra rich often aren't motivated by "money" in the same way that we are. They use money as a measuring stick against they're fellow billionaire friends and rivals. Winning championships with the hottest team in the league is just as good bragging rights as having another $100 million in the bank.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 13, 2017

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...eland-cavaliers

Smh. Eat the rich

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Remember 2 years ago how that first Cavs/Warriors Finals went 7 games because the owners are so greedy this stuff is so easy to see

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I seem to remember a lockout of players with more than half of teams claiming they were losing money each year. They're parasites and they'll take whatever they can get.

I think Golden State will play too well for the Refs to change the outcome, and this series will end tonight. Give the Cavs 7 more points and they'll still probably lose

Then we get to relax in the peace and quiet of free agent rumors which will tide us over until we get to see real basketball again, at summer league orlando on July first

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Dejan Bimble posted:

Then we get to relax in the peace and quiet of free agent rumors which will tide us over until we get to see real basketball again, at summer league orlando on July first

Actually we get to spend two weeks arguing about Harden and Westbrook.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

I seem to remember a lockout of players with more than half of teams claiming they were losing money each year. They're parasites and they'll take whatever they can get.

I think Golden State will play too well for the Refs to change the outcome, and this series will end tonight. Give the Cavs 7 more points and they'll still probably lose

The lockout is a completely different situation, that was a contract negotiation, we're talking about clearly illegal game fixing. Just because you want more money from your boss at work during performance reviews doesn't mean you'd just as easily rob a convenience store for cash. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure during the lockout that the teams who were then considered contenders had owners who weren't quite as vocal or willing to risk the season over the CBA, regardless of their financial situation, because they want their team to secure them bragging rights by winning. They're definitely greedy, just not necessarily for an extra $10mil

And, is Summer League considered "real" basketball?

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 13, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Whiteside had a negative BPM too. Tony Parker had a negative BPM in 13-14 when he drove the best NBA Finals team I've ever seen in my entire life. A bunch of really good players have put up negative BPM seasons, it's actually not really that good of a stat to use in that context.

Melo is not a top tier player anymore, but he's far from replacement level.

ha ha ha ha ha thank you Lockback for the invitation to talk some more poo poo about Melo, my favorite pastime. First off--total agreement. He's far from replacement level--far far worse. A replacement level player doesn't swallows up cap space that could be used for some players who don't singlehandedly lose games by playing like assholes. A replacement-level player would be benched if he defended as poorly as Melo does. And he's been getting worse every year for a few years now.

I also kinda think BPM is working for those counterexamples? Whiteside has a negative BPM because it (correctly) describes what a black hole he is on the offense, which hasn't quite been outmatched by what he does on defense. Also his BPM was positive the season before last.

And I dunno if I'd give credit to TP for driving that 13-14 squad. Everybody on that team was playing amazing. He's a hot/cold PG who doesn't play much defense, especially for a Spur. And he coasts in the regular season like a bunch of ring-carrying vets tend to do. He was one of the only dudes on that squad who wasn't/isn't a two-way player. He also had some fairly abysmal games during that run where the team won despite him.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

The B_36 posted:

He probably meant Big 3!

Debuts on June 25th, less than two weeks now, in Brooklyn, New York City, a basketball city that once produced legends like Dr J. and Kareem Abdul Jabbar but now produces Sebastian Telfair and Lance Stephenson smdh

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Man, if you don't like Summer League, there's no hope for you, it's the NCAA tournament of the NBA, you are vaguely familiar with 1/4 of the guys and they're playing sloppy as all hell, but they want it bad

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The games can be weird and low-stakes because the players are sort of competing against their own team harder than they are competing against the opposite team and nobody is trying much on defense. It's anti-friendship ball, and it's usually more of a scouting exercise more than a competitive game of basketball (which is fun for me, but not exactly the same as watching a good game of Ball).

Whereas Big3 is going to have 50 year old Mahmoud Abdul Rauf scoring 40 points a game as if the rim were no rim and all net

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXGRNGWNk0I

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The best thing about Summer League is it's really easy to dip in and out of it all day long in a period where almost nothing is happening in the entire world.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Man, if you don't like Summer League, there's no hope for you, it's the NCAA tournament of the NBA, you are vaguely familiar with 1/4 of the guys and they're playing sloppy as all hell, but they want it bad

Well, that part kinda turns me off then.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Another good thing is once in a while someone like Adam Morrison shows up even though he's been in the league six years and just loving destroys future all-NBA pre-rookies.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
what a frustrating existence that must be

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

The games can be weird and low-stakes because the players are sort of competing against their own team harder than they are competing against the opposite team and nobody is trying much on defense. It's anti-friendship ball, and it's usually more of a scouting exercise more than a competitive game of basketball (which is fun for me, but not exactly the same as watching a good game of Ball).

Whereas Big3 is going to have 50 year old Mahmoud Abdul Rauf scoring 40 points a game as if the rim were no rim and all net

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXGRNGWNk0I

I'm afraid The Big 3 is going to be won by the youngest team with the smallest amount of pro minutes so they still have knee and ankle cartilage and will disappoint everyone watching out of nostalgia for the days of old

Rick posted:

Another good thing is once in a while someone like Adam Morrison shows up even though he's been in the league six years and just loving destroys future all-NBA pre-rookies.
That's very good
The best is knowing a guy is at least an end of roster NBA player because he puts up 50 points a game and effortlessly dominates both ends of the floor

Also, JORDAIR JETT IS BACK, Ferrakohn Hall too
https://www.thetournament.com/teams/majerus-slu-crew-saint-louis-alumni?type=fan&f=58ec50fc908bc333508947

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 13, 2017

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Summer league is where our oldest myths are born.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

I also kinda think BPM is working for those counterexamples? Whiteside has a negative BPM because it (correctly) describes what a black hole he is on the offense, which hasn't quite been outmatched by what he does on defense. Also his BPM was positive the season before last.

Carmelo had a positive BPM last season (higher than Whitesides!) and the season before that, etc. If 1 negative BPM should be disregarded for Whiteside so should it be for Carmelo.

Melo's team is crap and he's not good enough by himself to turn it around, most players wouldn't be.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dejan Bimble posted:

Summer league to NBA addicts is similar to resin hits for potheads. Not what they actually want, kind of gets the job done, and ultimately not as good as what they really want.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Summer league to NBA addicts is similar to resin hits for potheads. Not what they actually want, kind of gets the job done, and ultimately not as good as what they really want.

Except that one time all your hitting is the crystal residue and you get so hosed up. Aka Anthony Randolph

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm afraid The Big 3 is going to be won by the youngest team with the smallest amount of pro minutes so they still have knee and ankle cartilage and will disappoint everyone watching out of nostalgia for the days of old

That's very good
The best is knowing a guy is at least an end of roster NBA player because he puts up 50 points a game and effortlessly dominates both ends of the floor

Also, JORDAIR JETT IS BACK, Ferrakohn Hall too
https://www.thetournament.com/teams/majerus-slu-crew-saint-louis-alumni?type=fan&f=58ec50fc908bc333508947

I guess I'm moving to St. Louis.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

TBeats posted:

if the cavs win the series i was gonna get a cavs jersey with durant's name on it but they won't let me use durant's name :mad:

Duraint

Uh oh I've created a rivals pun or unknowingly used one that exists.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
btw totally preemptive but is 3-0 pronounced "three-none" to rhyme with "three-one"?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823496

The belated jimmy falcon gdt is up

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/874417987427590144

Oh

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i like the last name only answer, like he's an oft-quoted author or something

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

The B_36 posted:

The lockout is a completely different situation, that was a contract negotiation, we're talking about clearly illegal game fixing. Just because you want more money from your boss at work during performance reviews doesn't mean you'd just as easily rob a convenience store for cash. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure during the lockout that the teams who were then considered contenders had owners who weren't quite as vocal or willing to risk the season over the CBA, regardless of their financial situation, because they want their team to secure them bragging rights by winning. They're definitely greedy, just not necessarily for an extra $10mil

you don't order a fix, like wells fargo didn' order fraud. you just send a memo saying you noticed x and y, and it happens.

your pride argument contradicts that negotiate to minimize risk thing.

Femur fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

ha ha ha ha ha thank you Lockback for the invitation to talk some more poo poo about Melo, my favorite pastime. First off--total agreement. He's far from replacement level--far far worse. A replacement level player doesn't swallows up cap space that could be used for some players who don't singlehandedly lose games by playing like assholes. A replacement-level player would be benched if he defended as poorly as Melo does. And he's been getting worse every year for a few years now.

He's now solidly in the >20 ppg and <.100 WS/48 club. Andrew Wiggins says hello

• Locked thread