Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

bowmore posted:

10k added on to an initial purchase isn't unreasonable though, the cheaper energy bills would take pressure off your mortgage repayments

It's only 0.38% added to the cost to buy a 3 bedroom place in Balmain. Of course the other $2.6M is really where the problem is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah .38% of too much for anyone to reasonably afford is still unobtainable.

And I know it'd save me money, but that doesn't make it any more possible. It's one of those cases where you gotta have money to save money, like the ability to buy food in bulk and store it, or afford cars or appliances that don't require maintenance. Or paying your rego yearly.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Bogan King posted:

It's time for some Game Theory™

May leaned left as a deliberate plan to get a minority government with the DUP pushing them across the line to cull the unbelievers in Free Market Austerity. This means she now can rule from a purer conservative position rather than dealing with factional bullshit in her own party. 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Compromised leftist policy: Fox hunting

True conservative policy: Poor hunting

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Anidav posted:

People buying property in Japan

Yeah, I am not sure Japan is the best place to be buying property since they already have a shrinking population.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

In some parts of Japan they'll give you a house and land for free if you promise to live there, not that that's much use if you're not Japanese or at least married to someone who is.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Freudian Slip posted:

Yeah, I am not sure Japan is the best place to be buying property since they already have a shrinking population.

But it was so cheap. Wait a minute ... this place is 3 bedrooms and only $55,000. How has no one bought it yet?????

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Bogan King posted:

Aren't you required to be connected to the grid and pay the connection fee for being connected though? Your power consumption bill may be zero but you still have to pay access fees.

Unlike gas bills (in wa at least) that have a fairly large daily connection-having fee, power bills roll the network fees into the per-kWh charge.
In fact this is what's causing the home solar/storage market distortion in the first place.

If you were paying wholesale + 20% margin + daily network fee you would either need to go off-grid or suck it up.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

norp posted:

Unlike gas bills (in wa at least) that have a fairly large daily connection-having fee, power bills roll the network fees into the per-kWh charge.
This isn't the case in SA, Vic or QLD. You have a connection fee that's charged per day, usually it's about 50c or so.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bogan King posted:

It's only 0.38% added to the cost to buy a 3 bedroom place in Balmain. Of course the other $2.6M is really where the problem is.
but if you buy somewhere affordable it's good

bullshit house prices are another deal

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CrazyTolradi posted:

This isn't the case in SA, Vic or QLD. You have a connection fee that's charged per day, usually it's about 50c or so.

I expect we'll see this change in WA at some point, given the massive uptake of Solar here; otherwise the burden of paying for upkeep on the grid will fall on businesses and institutions for whom solar isn't going to make an appreciable difference (and also renters, but nobody making energy policy gives a blue gently caress about the poor apparently).

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Also Turnbull may have to call an early election, about a year from now :toot:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.farmonline.com.au/story/4724456/leyonhjelm-rspca-committing-cultural-imperialism-on-live-horse-and-donkey-exports/
NSW LIBERAL Democratic Senator David Leyonhjelm has accused RSPCA Australia of “cultural imperialism” in raising public fears and warnings about the potential live export of Australian horses and donkeys for slaughter in overseas markets.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Whatever happened to that QLD LNP MP who is supposedly about to retire due to health concerns and cause a by-election?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/markwillacy/status/874067317784682497

This'll be good.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
He's not retiring yet :shrug:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
They probably ran the over/under on the seat and decided it wasn't worth the risk of a protest vote toppling the govt, and asked him to hang in there.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

I love the last paragraph of that article that's basically saying "we want to be able to increase scrutiny to uncomfortable levels in any organization which opposes our views."

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Guardian posted:

Dreamworld inquest: former CEO Deborah Thomas to get $3,000-a-day fee

The outgoing chief executive of the company that owns Dreamworld will receive a $730,000 payout, and get $3,000 a day to attend an inquest into the deaths of four people in last year’s accident on the Thunder River Rapids ride.

Deborah Thomas left Ardent Leisure earlier than initially scheduled on Friday and has been replaced by Simon Kelly.

Thomas, who was involved in the company’s dealings with bereaved families during the tragedy, will also get a payout of more than $730,000, equivalent to 12 months’ remuneration.

Kate Goodchild, Luke Dorsett, Roozi Araghi and Cindy Low were killed when the ride malfunctioned on 25 October 2016.

A timeframe for the inquest has not been set and it could be a year or more before it begins.

Thomas had been slated to take up a role overseeing the recovery of Dreamworld after stepping down, but will now leave the company.

Ardent Leisure said Thomas would provide consultancy advice and support to the new chief executive, senior management and its board before the inquest.

“Ms Thomas will be paid a consultancy fee of $3,000 per day, for each day reasonably expended in relation to the coronial inquest,” it said.

Overseas a business that kills a bunch of people and then gets paid to go sit in the court after getting given a stack of cash to quit. This is so broken it isn't funny.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
If you're building a house don't you also need to either install water tanks or solar panels to pass code these days? Buying a battery on top of that's not too crazy.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If you're building a house don't you also need to either install water tanks or solar panels to pass code these days? Buying a battery on top of that's not too crazy.

The solar panels definitely need to pass code or some sort of regulation. One of my friends is into solar and mentioned that people who put panels on their roofs 10 years ago, but need to pull them off to repoint their tiles or get it painted will find that they can't put them back on because it won't be legal due to today's code.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I had a horrible thought, forgive me if it's already been aired: what if Corbyn proves that ~Change From Within~ was possible after all?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

freebooter posted:

I had a horrible thought, forgive me if it's already been aired: what if Corbyn proves that ~Change From Within~ was possible after all?

Was possible, or is possible?

Corbyn was only allowed to stand as a joke by right wing MPs.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Was possible, or is possible?

Corbyn was only allowed to stand as a joke by right wing MPs.

And got elected by vote of membership and is constantly sabotaged by the leadership. I mean the treatment of Corbyn by Labor is the best possible argument that change from within isn't possible because everyone who's in charge of within doesn't want it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Pretty sure Albanese ran for the leadership under the same circumstances as Corbyn, and won the popular vote, but instead of actually being allowed to lead, the Right faction dropped Shorten in the spot instead.

So yeah probably not possible under the current party structure.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

Pretty sure Albanese ran for the leadership under the same circumstances as Corbyn, and won the popular vote, but instead of actually being allowed to lead, the Right faction dropped Shorten in the spot instead.

So yeah probably not possible under the current party structure.

iirc the vote for leader was weighted 50/50 between MPs and Labor members. The majority of members voted Albo and MPs voted Shorten. Overall, Shorten won by a small percentage. All part of the Anti-chocko Conspiracy.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lol as if they old boys club at Melbourne would be the change within. They'd be spitting their cognac in disgust.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

You Am I posted:

lol as if they old boys club at Melbourne would be the change within. They'd be spitting their cognac in disgust.

I just wanted to post that speccy and this was the easiest way my pre coffee brain could work out how to segue

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Bogan King posted:

I just wanted to post that speccy and this was the easiest way my pre coffee brain could work out how to segue

^ check out Eddie's mate here

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

^ check out Eddie's mate here

A good speccy knows no class nor team, it is a beautiful work of art outside the confines of mortal bullshit.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

A good speccy is who cares AFL is boring.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

iajanus posted:

A good speccy is who cares sport is boring.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Collingwood lost, dickhead.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7u9hP4r1S8

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

ABC posted:

Christian lobby FamilyVoice moves to stop mentally ill from attending church services

A national Christian group is lobbying for the Disability Discrimination Act to be changed so that it can discriminate against people with mental illnesses, on the basis they could upset the "sacred" nature of church services.

FamilyVoice has called for a religious exemption to the Act, arguing it interferes with freedom of religion.

In a submission to a federal parliamentary inquiry on freedom of belief, FamilyVoice said a person with a mental illness had the potential to interfere with a church service.

"For very good reasons a religion may not wish to engage a person who has a mental illness and displays disturbed behaviour," the submission read.

quote:

"Such behaviour would adversely affect a church service, which is sacred in nature.

"A simple provision should be added for an exemption from the act for persons ... whose conscientious beliefs do not allow them to comply."

FamilyVoice says sex change 'delusional'

FamilyVoice, which is an Adelaide-based national Christian organisation, also wants the Sex Discrimination Act changed, stating the laws as they stood directly contradicted the moral values of the Christian faith.

The Sex Discrimination Act bans the discrimination of people on the grounds of sexual orientation, gender identity and relationship status.

FamilyVoice has described these matters as "highly controversial", and in its submission called sex change "delusional".

"The reality is that 'sex change' is a myth. Neither hormone treatment nor surgery can actually change a person's sex," the submission said.

Conflict over the anti-discrimination laws is "almost inevitable", according the submission.

"The effect of the Act is to empower those who have espoused one value system to impose their beliefs on those with contrary beliefs," it said.

"Far from fostering social harmony, the Act is likely to exacerbate social divisions."

The group's social media accounts show FamilyVoice takes a stance against same-sex marriage, transgender people, abortion, euthanasia and unisex bathrooms.

Jesus was well known for hating the outcasts and saying that they should be shunned from society.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Labor and Emperors Children ARE poo poo SORRY MATE

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Wow that is gross

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says he won't apologise for asking migrants to become "Australian patriots", in a bid to strengthen support for citizenship changes.

This comes in the same week as the Federal Government introduces legislation to tighten visa and citizenship requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
You're absolutely correct FamilyVoice "sex changes" are a myth and do not change a person's sex. Instead the process is called gender reassignment. hth.

• Locked thread