Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hbomb you should do a measured response/game is great and here's why about the Wolfenstein series just because of how many nazi sympathizers got triggered by The New Colossus's trailer

They're not the only ones who are upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Oh my god it's the NAZIS! The literal Third Reich!

We DID defeat them with machine guns!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I mean I'd say his problem is less being a white dude and more being a completely insufferable loser but hey whatever gets him ran out of the party

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They economy of Middle-Earth just doesn't make sense, when you think about it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Leal posted:

Looks like that one video by that one guy whose video I would post cause it triggers goons but can't be assed to find it was a good thing for spoony, his patreon shot up 400 bucks.

Unless this leads to Spoony returning to criticism, I don't think anyone here gives a poo poo.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Oh my god it's the NAZIS! The literal Third Reich!

We DID defeat them with machine guns!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Max Wilco posted:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Does Jonathan McIntosh actually like video games, like, at all?

I mean, the criticism is sort of basically valid, but also intensely pointless.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

God willing no.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bakeneko posted:

That's the baffling thing. He said "extreme feminists" want them so they can keep working or smoking while pregnant, because apparently if a woman wants to keep her job and have a child at the same time she's an extremist.
I mean even with artificial wombs at least one parents needs to be with the fetus 24/7 during late development so all this means is that it's possible for the not pregnant partner to take that job. So if he's somehow terrified that people wouldn't care for their kids in favor of work that's also invalid, unless for osme reason you thinks it NEEDS to be the pregnant woman who is the primary caretaker.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean even with artificial wombs at least one parents needs to be with the fetus 24/7 during late development so all this means is that it's possible for the not pregnant partner to take that job. So if he's somehow terrified that people wouldn't care for their kids in favor of work that's also invalid, unless for osme reason you thinks it NEEDS to be the pregnant woman who is the primary caretaker.

a fantastic element of a lot of cyberpunk is the complete dehumanization in child raising, where AIs/Corporate schools/etc basically handle raising a kid until they're old enough to join the company themselves and become another drone. Shadowrun especially does neat things with this kinda weird corpo-nationalism that forms as a part of youth culture that maybe even means more than parents do at times. Adding in artificial birth programs to a concept like that could make a genuinely chilling part of the game to explore.

Or we can holler about womz wanting to work and smoke their drat Virginia Slims, yea cool.

I am so genuinely annoyed that this thing I've been hoping for, a cool cyberpunk survival game, is covered in the juices of a smoothbrained 'muh gamer rights' babyman.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He was saying that women are bad for wanting to gestate children outside of their bodies, a technological advancement that would literally liberate humanity to an extent unseen since, like, penicillin or indoor plumbing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also it's pointless to get angry about technology that doesn't exist and that is not even being developed.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's too bad that McIntosh keeps deleting tweets. He had one claiming that you couldn't end segregation in schools with violence, apparently forgetting that US troops were deployed to enforce desegregation. He deleted the tweet shortly after someone pointed this out.

Edit: Really McIntosh is a useful idiot for fascists cause he keeps telling the left to not bash the fash.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

business hammocks posted:

He was saying that women are bad for wanting to gestate children outside of their bodies, a technological advancement that would literally liberate humanity to an extent unseen since, like, penicillin or indoor plumbing.

"Revolutionary technology that would improve the world in ways that we can only begin to fathom is actually bad because it makes the author, and old man, slightly uncomfortable" is one of Science Fiction's classic stories, he's pulling from a long and proud tradition.

The pettiest version of this is probably Surrogates, where a revolutionary technology that would grant full mobility to the physically disabled and prevent people all over the world from destroying their bodies in backbreaking or dangerous jobs must be abolished because Bruce Willis is in a loveless marriage.

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 12, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The pettiest version of this is Star Trek where being post scarcity turns everyone into religious predestination fanatics. Though that appears to be unintentional on the part of the writers.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wait, was this the game Projeck CD Red was working on?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Deport The Irish posted:

"Revolutionary technology that would improve the world in ways that we can only begin to fathom is actually bad because it makes the author, and old man, slightly uncomfortable" is one of Science Fiction's classic stories, he's pulling from a long and proud tradition.

The pettiest version of this is probably Surrogates, where a revolutionary technology that would grant full mobility to the physically disabled and prevent people all over the world from destroying their bodies in backbreaking or dangerous jobs must be abolished because Bruce Willis is in a loveless marriage.

And the existence of anti-vaxxers proves that this isn’t limited to fictional technologies, or even recent ones.

BigRed0427 posted:

Nope, thankfully. I don't think anyone working for them was ever involved with gg.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Thankfully no. This is an indie cyberpunk game, The Last Night that was shown briefly at Microsoft's blitz of game announcements that was their E3 conference. It looked neat and then people realized who was behind it.

The CD Projeck Red game is I think literally called Cyberpunk [insert year here because I can't remember].

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Last Night is probably going to be insanely short and overly simplistic with the kind of art it has. Owlboy wasn't very long and it took like 7+ years to produce all of the gorgeous pixel art in it.

The premise is so weird and stupid I'm almost interested to see it now. lol if you pay release price for it though.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 13, 2017

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
But Dan

Don''t you know that this Last Night thing has caused anti-gamers to reach A NEW LOW????? https://mobile.twitter.com/ronankelly19/status/874361863517163522

A new low! A new low!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
clearly this needs a 20 minute video made about it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

somekindofguy posted:

But Dan

Don''t you know that this Last Night thing has caused anti-gamers to reach A NEW LOW????? https://mobile.twitter.com/ronankelly19/status/874361863517163522

A new low! A new low!

Nash must be a really nice guy if that's a new low

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Nope Red is working on Cyberpunk 2077 a game based off the Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop RPG. Which is a not terribly complicated game about getting fancy guns to kill megacorp CEOs.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Augus posted:

Holy poo poo this game is gonna be a legendary trainwreck :allears:
EDIT: I just saw an article where the guy apologized and walked back on that stuff though?

I think it's damage control. I'd believe the guy were sincere if he said something a while ago before his visually impressive game made waves.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Remember when a Projekt CD Red dev posted in SA to tell a goon to gently caress off for being a weird slavery apologist about stuff in the Witcher 3

That was great

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

somekindofguy posted:

But Dan

A new low! A new low!

lol at all this is over a video game.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

The pettiest version of this is Star Trek where being post scarcity turns everyone into religious predestination fanatics. Though that appears to be unintentional on the part of the writers.

Star Trek generally dodges what was talking about, though. It would be more applicable if after the first "transporter/holodeck glitch causes mayhem" plot, they all agree that the Enterprise was a mistake and scuttle the entire Federation fleet. No intelligent species ever ventures into space again.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I get what you're saying but the whole "maybe this species of sapient beings was fated to die, we shouldn't interfere" is a pretty drat problematic message.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

I get what you're saying but the whole "maybe this species of sapient beings was fated to die, we shouldn't interfere" is a pretty drat problematic message.

Yeah, literally nobody is going to disagree with that. That's just a completely different lovely message than what cyberpunk gamergator was going for, and what he's going for just happens to be my single least favorite stock sci fi plot.

If I was a crazy billionaire, I would absolutely fund a version of this as a film set about 100 years go, where our hero is a hard-drinking detective who hates cars because his son died in an auto accident and his wife was too busy driving to the voting station one time to make dinner. It turns out that the hit-and-run-murders he was investigating were orchestrated by Henry Ford himself and the final scene is our hero looking on approvingly from atop his horse while the entire public transportation infrastructure is destroyed. With Ford's body swinging from a lamppost, humanity is free from this technology that is unarguably evil because selfish people can for bad things sometimes. Nobody would ever willingly watch this film.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So how is judging literature only by prose derived from upper-class snobbery, anyway?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

There was that one episode of Enterprise where the doctor created a cure for a plague that was decimating an entire species, then changed his mind and refused to hand it over because he decided that they were supposed to die off to make room for another species on the same planet.

And that was set before the prime directive was invented, so the characters couldn’t even claim to be sticking to regulations, as stupid as that is. They basically just declared that doctors shouldn’t try to come up with new disease treatments because they might interfere with evolution. It’s complete bullshit.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

So how is judging literature only by prose derived from upper-class snobbery, anyway?

*in extremely upper-class snob voice* ur posts prose fuckin sucks rear end my dude

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

It's rather odd that s omebody calling movies, video games, or books bad somehow compromises nostalgia and joy for you.

Whelp I tried to take you seriously and I'm going to try my hardest not to address you in the future.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Puppy Time posted:

LOL at all y'all not having BotL on ignore.

One last time, I promise.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sarcopenia posted:

Whelp I tried to take you seriously and I'm going to try my hardest not to address you in the future.

You are in fact completely free to enjoy bad books out of nostalgia or whatever. Nobody is stopping you. I have no power over you.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

In a way the current Kimble Justice FFVIII series feels a bit different than the FFVII one, on which it's less, less polarizing and isn't as much of an historical artifact. Whereas FFVII still suffered from having this game everyone had in their minds, FVIII's "Let's make everything obscure as poo poo, OOOOH This Major Plot Point Is Shoved in a Random Alley Or On a Tiny Computer That You Won't Give a poo poo About" shtick means that even super through Let's Plays gloss over a lot of points that KJ is currently going thru. Heck, I thought it was outlandish to fly your Garden all the way to Galbadia's crater on VoiceOfDog's stream, but not "Oh yeah the guy who used to run it was unceremoniously thrown out and you can only talk to him if you gently caress off as Irvine to a tiny screen and see him sit on a pier" or "They gave Seifer control of Deling City".

Like, as far as internet criticism goes, KJ easily topples whatever other document there is on a field that the biggest one until then was the Spoony FFVIII review, which was a huge, huge product of its time where just posting yourself droning to the Atari ET game as a Vietnam flashback was considered "good criticism".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Final Fantasy bad, except old and IX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

business hammocks posted:

Also it's pointless to get angry about technology that doesn't exist and that is not even being developed.

Doesn't exist? Isn't being developed?

Scientists create artificial womb for sheep fetus.

• Locked thread