Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I believe you'll find that only good Michigan is the UP, and good luck finding a job up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

I believe you'll find that only good Michigan is the UP, and good luck finding a job up here.

Sure, if you like Mosquitos that are so brutal they go against the Geneva Convention, and winters so cold you long for frostbite so that way you can no longer feel the cold.

Great for 4 months out of the year though.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

hell yeah to all those things

cull the weak

ski powder

buy a house for a dece five figgies

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

San Francisco is expected to join a growing number of municipalities that prohibit employers from asking applicants their job salary history in an effort to close the wage gap between men and women.

Women in San Francisco are paid 16 cents less on the dollar than men in San Francisco, according to U.S. Census figures, and the disparity worsens for women of color, with black women paid 60 cents on the dollar and Latina women 55 cents.

To close the current wage gap, which is estimated to shrink a mere half-cent annually, it would take women hundreds of years.

That’s why Supervisor Mark Farrell introduced legislation that would prohibit private employers in San Francisco from asking for and considering past salary information when deciding what salary to offer applicants. The proposal also applies to city government and its contractors.

“If women are always held back and down by their salary history, they are prevented from ever catching up with men,” Farrell said. “We have to stop it.”

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Asking for salary history is a lot of bullshit. The only thing that should be asked is salary expectations and then the company should be competent enough to go from there.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
why do they always use that awkward phrase "cents on the dollar"? is percent too bougie?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

redleader posted:

why do they always use that awkward phrase "cents on the dollar"? is percent too bougie?

dumb people don't understand percentages

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
football fields

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

redleader posted:

it makes it feel more real to some folks. "she makes only 50 cents for every dollar you make" puts a tangible value to it, whereas "she makes 50% of what you do" let's people go "well, 50% is still pretty big, it's not minimum wage, etc".

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

someone recommended it a while ago and it slipped my mind but i did the triplebyte 30 minute quiz thing just now. not giving me my score makes me real worried that whenever i do the interview they are going to say "well you failed it, what do you have to say for yourself"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

hifi posted:

someone recommended it a while ago and it slipped my mind but i did the triplebyte 30 minute quiz thing just now. not giving me my score makes me real worried that whenever i do the interview they are going to say "well you failed it, what do you have to say for yourself"

if they have that data and didnt tell you, what does that mean

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they're telling me to book a technical interview

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

but im interpreting it as i am maybe adequate

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

redleader posted:

isn't referring to 0.01 of any quantity as one cent technically correct, but antiquated? you see it more with thousandths (permil, mil)

and then for money theres basis point for 1/10,000

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
last full day in the office of my old job today :toot: gonna be fun to listen to horror stories after I'm gone

time to move and all the awful poo poo

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

West Michigan or East? Because if it was West then I can understand why he would want to stay. (West Michigan best Michigan)

nobody remembers mid-michigan :sigh:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
all of Michigan is trash

that's why it like other rust belt states are experiencing unprecedented brain drain problems

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

amazon ghosted me after having me file paperwork to "move the process along". meh. the search for more figgies continues.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
unemployment day one: shelled out $200 for doctor visit because it's cheaper than paying for COBRA or ACA coverage for a week

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

unemployment day one: shelled out $200 for doctor visit because it's cheaper than paying for COBRA or ACA coverage for a week

wow, that's kinda clownshoe on apple's part. my coverage will continue until the end of the month in which I leave.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

c offer s:
https://m.imgur.com/t/gif/7drHiqr

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

congrats!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I got a final stage interview next week for a kernel touching role that's gonna pay a decent amount of Canadian figgies

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I know the rule for figgie negotiation is to never be the first to name a number, but how hard should I push negotiation when I don't really have a ton of experience? From what I understand there aren't a lot of unemployed engineers in my area but I don't know if that's enough of a bargaining chip.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've never been able to avoid mentioning a number first, and how much you can push negotiation depends entirely on the company and how badly they want you in particular. Just play around with glassdoor and mention a figure above what you expect to get, but not high enough that they don't even bother to negotiate. If you feel they are offering you too little, ask for 10% more and be prepared to walk away. If you feel the offer is so low that you need to ask for more than 10% then you should walk away immediately without any negotiation.

qhat fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 12, 2017

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I negotiate financial settlements for a living and would question the 'never mention a number first' wisdom. first because thats not likely to be possible with how most companies hire and second because its just a starting point. i think this

qhat posted:

I've never been able to avoid mentioning a number first, and how much you can push negotiation depends entirely on the company and how badly they want you in particular. Just play around with glassdoor and mention a figure above what you expect to get, but not high enough that they don't even bother to negotiate. If you feel they are offering you too little, ask for 10% more and be prepared to walk away. If you feel the offer is so low that you need to ask for more than 10% then you should walk away immediately without any negotiation.

is much better advice

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

when i was interviewing for federal jobs most people would start off with "Hey, are you still interested in this position which pays $xx,xxx? ok cool we will schedule the interview" and that certainly made it easy for negotiations (there weren't any)

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shaman Linavi posted:

when i was interviewing for federal jobs most people would start off with "Hey, are you still interested in this position which pays $xx,xxx? ok cool we will schedule the interview" and that certainly made it easy for negotiations (there weren't any)

yeah its really rare to be able to negotiate on a federal job in my experience, you are pretty much locked in to the grade on the application at step 1. I do know of people who were able to get extra steps (but not grades) added by presenting a current offer letter from another employer, and giong from one agency to another they may work with you on salary matching/pay retention

its extremely rigid. I know people who qualify for say a grade 9 or 11 but they applied for the 7 and gov refused to bump them up. you really have to understand the system and pay attention to what you are doing or it will cost you $$, and 10K per year is a huge deal when a lot of jobs start off at like 40-50K

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

When I worked for the UK government everyone at a certain grade got paid the same, so increasing the pay for a software engineer would also require increasing the pay of some senior doophus in HR or whatever. So ya pretty much no wiggle room there.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

2 calls, 5 emails, 5 interview requests and 1 code challenge request today after weeks of almost no action and sinking depression of possibly sticking around this poo poo farm

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Iverron posted:

2 calls, 5 emails, 5 interview requests and 1 code challenge request today after weeks of almost no action and sinking depression of possibly sticking around this poo poo farm

just remember, interviewing and job hunting is garbage

its a loving grind, but you just keep at it, and you will get the figgies and probably cure your depression at least until next time

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

are there any positives to having a federal job? other than the alternative being poverty and despair.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

is this still impossible to get fired or is that a relic of a bygone era

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
you get to be called a parasite by contractors who do half your job for 4 times as much

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

power botton posted:

is this still impossible to get fired or is that a relic of a bygone era

I've known at least one person to have been fired

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

depends on the department. with luck it's stable and can be hard to get fired from. benefits, normal working hours. not having to deal with startup or tech culture

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
ive taken no less than a dozen recruiter calls for the job i just quit. its not every day you get the job description you wrote read back to you by hopeful 3rd parties

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

PierreTheMime posted:

ive taken no less than a dozen recruiter calls for the job i just quit. its not every day you get the job description you wrote read back to you by hopeful 3rd parties

lol thats amazing

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Shaman Linavi posted:

Hey, are you still interested in this position which pays $xx,xxx?

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

A month? Maybe.

• Locked thread