Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Keetron posted:

If you are still around on Thursday, there is a meetup.com hands-on test tooling workshop at bol.com where I will be a TA on the FitNesse automation framework.

And speaking of bol.com, I work there and we're always looking for talented people and can assist with your move to The Netherlands. For a fairly large company we have managed to avoid most agilefall traps (most...) and it's a friendly work atmosphere. PM for details :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Maluco Marinero posted:

Dear lord that guy sounds like he's a terminal case. Better implement that rest API in node because.... people know JavaScript? What a well thought out position :rolleyes:

You joke but being able to hire devs who know X is worth taking into consideration when selecting a language/platform. At my new place this is (unfortunately) leading our stack away from Scala toward JS and Go (of all things). For a rest API :negative:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Sagacity posted:

And speaking of bol.com, I work there and we're always looking for talented people and can assist with your move to The Netherlands. For a fairly large company we have managed to avoid most agilefall traps (most...) and it's a friendly work atmosphere. PM for details :)

My wife works there and loves it. Pm this guy!
Also @Sagacity: are you joining Thursday?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
No, but there will be plenty of colleagues there.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

You joke but being able to hire devs who know X is worth taking into consideration when selecting a language/platform. At my new place this is (unfortunately) leading our stack away from Scala toward JS and Go (of all things). For a rest API :negative:

This can also go in a good direction! We have several old-rear end web services written in PHP (5.3 :gonk:). For a variety of reasons, including "ability to hire engineers who know their rear end from their elbow" and "ability to hire people excited instead of reluctant to work on the codebase", all new development is being done in Java. And existing features are being ported over as time allows.

Sagacity posted:

Out of curiosity, is this for EU candidates, or does bol help with relocation worldwide? Realistically I have major family ties to the US and am not going anywhere, but I've visited and loved both Belgium and Amsterdam. I occasionally fantasize about moving overseas while our kids are still very young, and an employment opportunity like that would certainly make it more realistic. I'd be applying to the operations/sysadmin side of the house, for what it's worth, which Google Translate leads me to believe you have openings for.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

e: and that this post hasn't completely destroyed my computer-touching-subforum reputation.

This is a good post. Thanks.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Clanpot Shake posted:

Oh, for sure, adoption % does form part of the equation, but for a task as common as a Rest API, there are a number of other concerns and node.js just makes all the concerns of versioning, consistency, interaction with server tech harder because of the immaturity of node libraries, or the looseness of Javascript as a language. Adoption because people know the language feels like a bit of a cop out for the industry given there's a lot of roles where you're essentially expected to pick up more than one language to be functional (see what I did there :p ).

With languages I feel like it's less learning the syntax as advertised, and more learning the ecosystem and the bullshit that isn't advertised.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Out of curiosity, is this for EU candidates, or does bol help with relocation worldwide?
I think it's worldwide. I have colleagues from China, Ukraine, South Africa, the US. Basically every lunch brings new chances to accidentally offend someone in a different way :allears:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Doc Hawkins posted:

I would not. I'm not ashamed of it, though it might not reflect well on me. Maybe it belongs in this thread anyway.

I think I have an appropriate amount of impostor syndrome for someone with an extra-liberal arts degree who learned as they went through 4-5 years of web dev & ops experience. At the very beginning of that time, I was sometimes passed over for work due to (I strongly suspect) not having the right degree from the right university, or being unfamiliar with what gets covered in such programs: algorithms, O(n), data structures, C, FHS stuff, etc. But - maybe due to the webbiness or shabbiness of my work - I've never noticed a time when I or anyone I was working with could have benefited from having those things easily to mind.

In my experience, people don't need to have heard the word "subexponential" to notice a hosed-up nested loop and to see a way to fix it, and it's no more practical to find a system's current bottleneck by reading through code-paths than to find a factory's by looking at the blueprints of every station. And none of it will matter if deploys happen only on Mondays, or everything's getting impulsively re-architected around an ESB, or the company is making the wrong product entirely, or has all but divided into warring tribes, all of which are the sorts of things I found myself working on more and more.

When I started participating in hiring decisions a few years back, it was not at a place that put any weight on algorithms questions. But one failure mode I saw again and again was an excellent candidate getting rejected because they didn't know things which they "should know;" the interviewer and candidate will inevitably have had differing experiences with the same language or framework, but interviewers seemed to be biased towards thinking whatever only they knew was significant, and whatever only the candidate knew was, at best, interesting. The effect seemed to be stronger the more experience the candidate actually had; the longer they've worked, the more they 'should know." A friend once put it that developers are punished for everything they happen to not know, while managers are rewarded for everything they happen to know. I came to associate algorithm questions with this bias.

Given what I've shared of my professional history, the reason I find this attitude personally frightening should be obvious, but I'm also convinced it harms the organizations which allow it. Companies which plan to be around in five years should also plan to continuously educate all of their employees on everything they "should know." In my view, unless you're a fly-by-night operation just looking for a fast buildout followed by an inflated exit, you should hire and promote based on integrity, motivation, capability, understanding, knowledge, and experience, in that exact order, because it's also the order of hardest to easiest to teach.

(I stole the that list from Dee Hock, because I am an impostor.)

I hope all that helps explain why nothing I've ever heard about Google's hiring process has told me they're looking for dev-sec-sys-org-ops ivory tower pinheads like me (though I've enjoyed keeping up with the re:Work stuff). Which, if true, is fine: they know what they need better than I do, and I know that my knowledge isn't really What's Really Important, because I've seen that exact bias at work. My mental health obliges me to think my skills are valuable, but not that everyone has to value them. Maybe to any company above a certain size and organizational competence, I couldn't be anything but a middling individual contributor.

Last and least, I'm not convinced of Google's mission, either on paper or in practice, and I suspect I wouldn't be as proud of working there as some people seem to be.

Thank you for asking, I hope none of my answer felt like an attack.

e: and that this post hasn't completely destroyed my computer-touching-subforum reputation.

Good post, thanks. It's worth mentioning that a degree in basket weaving from the community college of St. Who Knows Where Valley isn't as big of an issue once you have industry experience.

I'll save my "Computer Science vs Software Engineering" rant for another time, but suffice to say as long as you know Big O of 1, logn, n, nlogn, and n^whatever and that 2n collapses to n, that's really fine for an interview's sake. Similarly, as long as you're passingly familiar with all the data structures on the Wikipedia Page, you're generally fine. Anyone that wants you to write a red-black tree implementation from memory in an interview is a huge red flag that you don't want to work there anyway.

It sounds like you might enjoy SRE than SWE, have you ever looked into that?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
As a devopsy/SRE-ish engineer, I'd rather do coding puzzles for interviews for weeks than be on-call for someone's code that they'll never get adequate feedback for and notified to fix like at most places. Why most places? Almost all ops-ish jobs are horrible as an extension of even half of software development jobs are bad because any deficiencies in software design and processes are magnified an order of magnitude in production environments. For every coding horror in the thread, there are 5 more that have been deployed to production and are waiting to wake someone up at 2 am.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If you're woken up at 2am because your developers are too dumb and lazy to do things right, and there isn't a reason to believe that they'll do better in the future, you should bail immediately.

Good SREs should effectively never get paged unless something truly unforseen has happened. SRE shouldn't mean "we're too cheap for a NOC"

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The worst ops I've seen are in places with incredible amounts of spending on it - they spend it on NOCs that function as extremely expensive and unreliable PagerDuty (because only the bottom of the barrel will stay in that job much and training is just plain bad as a rule), developers usually never get told that their app dies in prod every night and ops just simply reboots it constantly on a cron job, etc. The problems have nothing to do with whether developers are lazy or even smart but whether there's a feedback loop that works or even exists. 90s style ops / dev is very, very popular in the F500 and with the cultural deficiencies of these places it's really not going away despite whatever BS they're going to spend on re-orging and doing "agile" and "devops."

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mniot posted:

I would say that Amazon and Uber are two well-known companies that have gotten a lot of negative press in the last few years about their work environment. Google and Microsoft are also two well-known companies that have not gotten similar negative press.

[... a bunch of rambling antagonistically constructive bullshit ...]
Gee, one of those has Literally 20x The Bodies of the other, so I'm thinking my point about scale was wholly lost on you. Working in the same building as a first-time known-awful CEO isn't exactly the same as working 3 time zones away in a recently-acquired subsidiary.

No, I don't think that Amazon has a comically anti-federal-labor-regulation policy baked so thoroughly through the company that they'd be so stupid as to put it on an official letterhead or enforce "MUST WORK ON VACATION" company-wide. How useful is that rando data point for, say, Lab 126 positions? Would hardware development have the same on-call requirements and culture as their central SRE? Or does the general public's relative ignorance of Lab 126 grant them better working conditions through this "well-known" metric you're keen on applying?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

For more anecdotal fuel for this fire, goon Agrikk works in AWS and seems to quite enjoy it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had an Amazon interview a few months ago and asked about jackasses with nerf guns, working hours, and other office problems. My interviewer said he works precisely 40 hours in a quiet office, but it varies by team and location. He also said that he gets hounded about annoying poo poo like whether his commit added a millisecond to a page load.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

JawnV6 posted:

Gee, one of those has Literally 20x The Bodies of the other, so I'm thinking my point about scale was wholly lost on you. Working in the same building as a first-time known-awful CEO isn't exactly the same as working 3 time zones away in a recently-acquired subsidiary.

I was trying to think of the next-biggest company with as bad a reputation for culture and came up empty.

I'm not claiming that literally every Amazoner cries at their desk 24/7, just that a bad reputation doesn't come out of nowhere and Amazon is unique in being a big name for software engineering without a reputation for respecting engineers.

Maybe Microsoft and stack-ranking? Or Apple and speaking to Steve Jobs? (Both dead) There were plenty of jobs at those places where the widely-criticized negatives didn't matter, but if you were thinking about a job I don't see why "isn't stack-ranking awful?" or "won't Jobs push me down the stairs and laugh?" wouldn't be sensible questions to wonder about.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
The only thing that's constant is change.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mniot posted:

I was trying to think of the next-biggest company with as bad a reputation for culture and came up empty.

I'm not claiming that literally every Amazoner cries at their desk 24/7, just that a bad reputation doesn't come out of nowhere and Amazon is unique in being a big name for software engineering without a reputation for respecting engineers.

Maybe Microsoft and stack-ranking? Or Apple and speaking to Steve Jobs? (Both dead) There were plenty of jobs at those places where the widely-criticized negatives didn't matter, but if you were thinking about a job I don't see why "isn't stack-ranking awful?" or "won't Jobs push me down the stairs and laugh?" wouldn't be sensible questions to wonder about.

I'm really not sure WHAT you're claiming at this point. I never said every engineer is a happy lifer, which appears to be the straw man you'd rather be arguing. Back to my original question: does "my buddy's friend's dog's sister's walker heard about an Amazon guy that died on call" affect your impression more or less than Actual Journalism on the topic? How useful are potshot anecdotes devoid of any context to even avoid that group?

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
You wrote

JawnV6 posted:

How representative of 300k+ person companies have y'all generally found half-remembered anecdotes from acquaintances?

in response to a bunch of people making vague "I heard Amazon sucks" posts.

I'm saying that while an individual anecdote is inconsequential, when it rises to the level that everyone "met some guy at a party once who said that Amazon killed his cat so he'd work harder" then that means something. Because that's not an isolated anecdote, that's part of a trend.

There were other posts saying "well that particular Amazon group that I'm at is great", which seems reasonable.

I assume you're familiar with the NY Times article about Amazon, so I'm not sure what your comment about "Actual Journalism" means? I guess if there was a legitimate-looking article about how Amazon was a fine place to work and actually a victim of a smear campaign by Ali Baba, then I'd be more skeptical when I hear anecdotes.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Half way through my initial phone screen with Amazon I realized I really, really didn't want to work there. Only twice has a recruiter call set off alarm bells in my head and that was one of them.

necrobobsledder posted:

The worst ops I've seen are in places with incredible amounts of spending on it - they spend it on NOCs that function as extremely expensive and unreliable PagerDuty (because only the bottom of the barrel will stay in that job much and training is just plain bad as a rule), developers usually never get told that their app dies in prod every night and ops just simply reboots it constantly on a cron job, etc. The problems have nothing to do with whether developers are lazy or even smart but whether there's a feedback loop that works or even exists. 90s style ops / dev is very, very popular in the F500 and with the cultural deficiencies of these places it's really not going away despite whatever BS they're going to spend on re-orging and doing "agile" and "devops."

This perfectly describes the job I just left. Ops was it's own silo who did things there way, kept those ways a secret from us devs, and threw a fit every time we did something that violated one of their secret rules. By the time I left the needs of the business were finally catching up to them (hey, we actually need to automate some of this), but as a department they were totally intractable. Refused to do anything new, learn anything, or give up any control at all.

I'm pretty sure they're all about to get laid off with recent business changes, which is a nice bit of schadenfreude.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Clanpot Shake posted:

Half way through my initial phone screen with Amazon I realized I really, really didn't want to work there. Only twice has a recruiter call set off alarm bells in my head and that was one of them.

What made you feel that way?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mniot posted:

I'm saying that while an individual anecdote is inconsequential, when it rises to the level that everyone "met some guy at a party once who said that Amazon killed his cat so he'd work harder" then that means something. Because that's not an isolated anecdote, that's part of a trend.

There were other posts saying "well that particular Amazon group that I'm at is great", which seems reasonable.

I assume you're familiar with the NY Times article about Amazon, so I'm not sure what your comment about "Actual Journalism" means? I guess if there was a legitimate-looking article about how Amazon was a fine place to work and actually a victim of a smear campaign by Ali Baba, then I'd be more skeptical when I hear anecdotes.
Maybe you could've opened with that article instead of a vague allusion to it's supposed existence?

I still don't really think anecdotes about individuals half-remembered by acquaintances are all that useful of a data point in isolation but you seem really set on them being the gold standard for considering employers, go nuts! My cousin worked at a fulfillment center, should I post the hearsay from her experience? She said a guy there cursed a lot, or maybe that was a surgeon her sister worked with, in any case I guess every Amazon worker is subjected to lots of swear words.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

a foolish pianist posted:

What made you feel that way?

This was over 4 years ago so I can't really give you anything specific. I remember getting the impression they wanted someone who would put in all the hours they asked with no regard for work-life balance. I've got a pretty good nose for bullshit and got that shady used car dealer feel.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mniot posted:

Amazoner

Amazonian :eng101:

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Badgeholes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Gildiss posted:

Badgeholes.

Also acceptable.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

JawnV6 posted:

Maybe you could've opened with that article instead of a vague allusion to it's supposed existence?

My bad. Sorry. That story got posted in a bunch of places when it came out and I thought you were just being weird. If you missed it upthread, Steve Yegge's post about Google and Amazon is also relevant, I think. (It's personal anecdotes and 6 years old, but it's entertaining and has some interesting stuff about both company and engineering culture.)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Volmarias posted:

Good post, thanks.

Thank you, and everyone else, for the kind words.

quote:

It sounds like you might enjoy SRE than SWE, have you ever looked into that?

I have and I am currently. I'm very glad we have a name for it now: it's saved me time explaining to folks what we should be doing, and I think it's steering my job search well now. Another thing I think I can thank Google for!

(I am one of those curmudgeons who is 👎 on the industry usage of "engineer," but I'll live.)

return0
Apr 11, 2007
I can only speak to my personal experience, but I'm glad I didn't put too much weight into the Amazon horror stories before joining. I've worked in two offices, in both there have been sane working hours, smart and respectful colleagues, and good high-end equipment.

For an organizational of it's size, I've found the autonomy teams get over product decisions, tech choices, and working practices pretty incredible. There is oncall rotation, but I assume there is the same at Google/FB. I've personally had one out of hours page so far this year.

Perhaps it has changed significantly over the last few years? I should mention I haven't worked in Seattle (or indeed the US).

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's quite possible that the country you live in has actual labor laws.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

hailthefish posted:

It's quite possible that the country you live in has actual labor laws.

Also, if you work for a subsidiary they get quite a bit of control over their own destiny, like being able to offer free coffee instead of requiring employees to pay for it.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Also, if you work for a subsidiary they get quite a bit of control over their own destiny, like being able to offer free coffee instead of requiring employees to pay for it.

This is not true, you don't have to pay for coffee or snacks etc. There aren't excesses like masseuses or gourmet lunches, but that's cool with me.

I should stop defending it now, but didn't want misinformation to discourage anyone itt from considering it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

return0 posted:

This is not true, you don't have to pay for coffee or snacks etc. There aren't excesses like masseuses or gourmet lunches, but that's cool with me.

I should stop defending it now, but didn't want misinformation to discourage anyone itt from considering it.

This is new because they definitely used to.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Sagacity posted:

Why does your plaza API always break :argh:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey bol.com guys your talk today at Goto was good and cool.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Cancelbot posted:

Why does your plaza API always break :argh:
I'll have to plead ignorance about that. You're welcome to come and fix it? :)

It's one of the areas in the company that's in heavy flux and there are many conflicting requirements that the team is trying to unironically agilefall to success. Especially in the area of test automation they could use some help, I think.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hey bol.com guys your talk today at Goto was good and cool.
Was that the resilience one? Feedback is welcome!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm fascinated by Amazon's organization structure but I sure am not at all sure I want to be part of it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Sagacity posted:

It's one of the areas in the company that's in heavy flux and there are many conflicting requirements that the team is trying to unironically agilefall to success. Especially in the area of test automation they could use some help, I think.

Tomorrow some time will be spend on that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sagacity posted:

Was that the resilience one? Feedback is welcome!

Yeah it was. I heard quite a few people in the room who were impressed by that demo reporting web page to show how Hystrix works - and when the speaker was asked about this he first thought the question was about the Hystrix monitoring page, and when he found out it wasn't, it was about the demo thing, he was like "oh that's just something I hacked together with javascript". :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Sagacity posted:

Hah, we are a UK dev team with a tiny NL office. I'm sure we'd love to have a go but we have our own agilefall to contend with :(