Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Coydog posted:

The fact that you are getting yourself in situations where you need power to escape means you aren't planning your positioning well enough and aren't aware of your surroundings.
I'm agreed with this although it's an easy to say, attentiveness doesn't save you from everything.

I'd challenge anyone to produce details on a situation that really did require acceleration to escape danger, and on top of that a situation that required more than Rebel 250 acceleration, though. I think it's one of those theoreticals that basically never happens.

You'd have to be in a configuration with some other moving objects (not on your own, which I believe eliminates the majority of bike crashes right there). Some of them are coming at you and you need to move forward to avoid it (and NOT slow down/stop to avoid it) such as crossing an intersection and someone's about to cross through it perpendicular to you. You'd have to recognize the situation quickly enough and do the math of the two moving objects quickly enough, which [I assume, again] would be hard for a self-driving car to do. Then you have to instinctively perform the acceleration action and not any other action and then you win the big prize. What are the chances of all that happening? That sounds like near impossibility to me. A car merging into you on the highway, as I suspect many youtube motovloggers would mention, does not count, because you can hit the brakes and get out of it just fine. As opposed to accelerating and kicking the mirrors off the car IN SELF DEFENSE as any youtube motovlogger would say.

Getting hit from behind at a stop light is possible but not the most common type of accident by a long shot, and all you need to get out of that is 2 mirrors and either a 125cc motor to drive you 4 feet to the side, or two feet to jump off the bike 4 feet to the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'd challenge anyone to produce details on a situation that really did require acceleration to escape danger, and on top of that a situation that required more than Rebel 250 acceleration, though. I think it's one of those theoreticals that basically never happens.

This peregrine falcon dived me man! Thank god I had my H2R or I would've been a goner!

:colbert:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My rant is I really want a cb1300sf or a cbr250rr but they're japan/aus only A BLOO BLOO BLOO :qq:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Pretty much every day I commute a cage tries to murder me, and my only option is to wheelie to safety, which is why I regret giving up my ultra- safe R1 for a lame FZ6, which can barely even wheelie at 60MPH.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm agreed with this although it's an easy to say, attentiveness doesn't save you from everything.

Having someone move over on you into your lane without checking while you're already being tailgated. Absolute niche that shouldn't happen if you're paying attention and dealt with the tailgater, but one of those "what if multiple things go wrong at once" type situations. But yeah, 99% bullshit.

Also:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is a safety issue here, but it's not with either of the bikes.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

M42 posted:

My rant is I really want a cb1300sf or a cbr250rr but they're japan/aus only A BLOO BLOO BLOO :qq:

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1990-cbr250rr-lightly-modifed/ please live your dreams and mine!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

You'd have to be in a configuration with some other moving objects (not on your own, which I believe eliminates the majority of bike crashes right there). Some of them are coming at you and you need to move forward to avoid it (and NOT slow down/stop to avoid it) such as crossing an intersection and someone's about to cross through it perpendicular to you. You'd have to recognize the situation quickly enough and do the math of the two moving objects quickly enough, which [I assume, again] would be hard for a self-driving car to do. Then you have to instinctively perform the acceleration action and not any other action and then you win the big prize. What are the chances of all that happening? That sounds like near impossibility to me. A car merging into you on the highway, as I suspect many youtube motovloggers would mention, does not count, because you can hit the brakes and get out of it just fine. As opposed to accelerating and kicking the mirrors off the car IN SELF DEFENSE as any youtube motovlogger would say.
A bike can stop a lot faster than a cage can. Sure you can brake to avoid in a merging onto freeway situation. can the cage behind you? But the 300 would do fine in that situation, 50-60 its plenty fast enough and you aren't in 6th yet.

More specifically, I'm thinking of a freeway situation where there's a van or something on my left and a cage behind me (doesn't have to be tailgating, again bikes can stop a lot faster than a cage) and a truck or something on the right tries to merge into me. Its not a good situation to be in in the first place, specifically because there aren't a lot of escape routes.

Regardless, I wasn't happy on the 300, I am happy on the 650, and that's enough reason to upgrade in and of itself.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 13, 2017

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Well, you may not be able to accelerate out of the way of all the 150mph deathrace cars behind you, but you'll sure sound like you are.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Are you loving kidding me this is like an hour and a half away from me

tjones
May 13, 2005

ilkhan posted:

A bike can stop a lot faster than a cage can. Sure you can brake to avoid in a merging onto freeway situation. can the cage behind you? But the 300 would do fine in that situation, 50-60 its plenty fast enough and you aren't in 6th yet.

Most bikes can't out brake most cars. There are fringe cases on both sides, but this is where your inexperience begins to show.

ilkhan posted:

More specifically, I'm thinking of a freeway situation where there's a van or something on my left and a cage behind me (doesn't have to be tailgating, again bikes can stop a lot faster than a cage) and a truck or something on the right tries to merge into me. Its not a good situation to be in in the first place, specifically because there aren't a lot of escape routes.

Regardless, I wasn't happy on the 300, I am happy on the 650, and that's enough reason to upgrade in and of itself.

You got the bike because you wanted more power and are trying to shoe horn rationale into agreement with you. Just don't kill yourself, or hit a Porsche while attempting to.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Anybody that calls it a cage is immediately wrong about everything lmao

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ya no one gives a poo poo that you started on a 650 you're just being a child about why. No ones gonna give you validation here.

M42, I have a buddy with a CBR250 or 400, I d k, maybe he wants to sell it. Street legal and CA registered!

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

tjones posted:

Most bikes can't out brake most cars. There are fringe cases on both sides, but this is where your inexperience begins to show.

You got the bike because you wanted more power and are trying to shoe horn rationale into agreement with you. Just don't kill yourself, or hit a Porsche while attempting to.

If yammienoob were riding a leaderbike instead of his LAMEtona, he could've gotten away from that porsche easy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

A Ninja 300 can't outbrake a Toyota Sienna minivan. This is literally true.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Either I'm jealous of his expendable income or he's terrible with money. He bought a brand new 300, tracked it before the break-in, and traded it for a brand new 650.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

M42 posted:

Get it

get it

get it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN2hag8J1rY

love that Formula 1 scream, bouncing off the limiter, and then he comes around the corner at like 40mph

Z3n posted:

M42, I have a buddy with a CBR250 or 400, I d k, maybe he wants to sell it. Street legal and CA registered!

CBR250RR? How is it CA registered? They're not legal here so if you get a cop who knows his bikes it's going to the impound.

ilkhan posted:

A bike can stop a lot faster than a cage can.

In general no, they cannot. A car has four big fat square tires that ride on their full width, for lots of traction, and if the tires lock it just slides. A bike has two skinny little round tires that ride on an even smaller segment of their width, greatly reducing traction, and if the front tire locks you probably crash. On a bike you have less inertia to deal with, which swings the needle back in your direction, but for an average modern bike vs. an average modern car it's a toss-up, and I'd lean towards favoring the car.

The "safety advantage" (in quotes because bikes are not more safe than cars, under any circumstance) you have on a motorcycle is maneuverability. You can flick your bike from one side of the lane to the other in a fraction of a second, and slip into gaps between cars to escape. That's the kind of thing you should be thinking about for when bad situations arise. It's equally applicable on any bike so start practicing.

Also please don't call cars "cages," it's kinda lame

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 13, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

CBR250RR? How is it CA registered? They're not legal here so if you get a cop who knows his bikes it's going to the impound.

I would hope any cop who appreciates bikes that much would be willing to look the other way.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ilkhan posted:

I think this is worth arguing over because a lot of people seem to be scared of this situation or use it as an excuse to do really dumb aggressive poo poo on bikes, so here's an argument:

If this happens to you, you have to brake and move backwards relative to the encroaching vehicle a total of about ten FEET. That is such a small maneuver that it should be almost impossible not to pull off. You don't have to panic brake and do an endo and become roadkill for whoever's behind you. Drop back ten FEET relative to the traffic. You are unlikely to be flattened by anyone behind you because they'd have to be insanely close and paying no attention at all. Admittedly possible but less likely.

Or is it? Has anyone actually measured how close tailgaters tailgate and how often they do it in horrible (urban) areas where people ride? Does anyone know what the likely effects of someone bumping you moderately from behind at high speed on a bike would be? I've never seen evidence of something like that happening, would it catch bumper on tire and do something bad or would it just bump and push you forward? I don't know what that scenario would be but again it wouldn't be like someone hitting you at 60mph while you were stopped.

And also, let's say for some reason you can't brake (or won't because you're a youtube motovlogger) and you get pushed to the side a bit. Bikes don't just fall over at high speed if they take a bump from the side, they're inherently stable, unless it's a massive bump. It's likely that you'll keep going and you'll just end up splitting two lanes or riding in the other lane as a result. There could be dangers such as a semi or lifted brotruck in the other lane whose tires you might rub and that would be very dangerous, but again less likely.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Chichevache posted:

I would hope any cop who appreciates bikes that much would be willing to look the other way.

Maybe he hates bikes that much.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dutymode posted:

Maybe he hates bikes that much.

Then I hope he gets hit by a drunk driver on his next traffic stop. :unsmigghh:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Chichevache posted:

:stare:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I think what he means is it's scary to ride a 300 at 80mph in traffic because he's stuck around that speed, which means cars are actively trying to avoid him. So it feels like you don't have control over the situation, similar to riding a pedal bike on a rural 2 lane 55 mph highway with no curbs just straight into a ditch.

I haven't ridden a 300 ninja myself, however, I think given my height and girth I would feel the same.

In reality though I don't hear of many accidents occurring because a car tapped a rider at 80mph because he couldn't accelerate out of the way. I do hear of many fatalities from running off the road, vehicles making unexpected left turns, speed, inexperience, inebriation, loss of control and all this followed by "was not wearing a helmet".

rdb fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 13, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

It's cool, I'm currently in the background process to be a pig. And I can say that. It's our word.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Chichevache posted:

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
I hate to say this but no matter what is said to dissuade him. He's not going to listen to any of the wiser heads here ever. If he was my son and first starting off riding. I would recommend a Buell Blast, SV650, or even a Rebel 500. All three have a fairly rider neutral seating. And are more than capable at handling freeway speeds. I had a Buell Blast around 9 years ago and it would do around 100 mph if really pushed. I'm guessing he wants that bigger bike because the 250 / 300's sound really weedy. And he's catching flak from real life friends for riding weak rear end bike. And should get a real mans motorcycle. It's all about image and not thinking of how inexperienced he is really.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
None of my friends ride, and the only flak I'm getting is for riding at all. Not one has said a word about "only a 300".

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Z3n posted:

Satan pls go

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
No one gives a poo poo about the 300 vs. the 650. Only your mindset and reasoning, which is flawed and shows your inexperience. hth

Rev said it better than I can but yeah, the only time the accelerate away argument works is if you're boxed in, and even then, not really. But if you got yourself in a position where you are boxed in, what is you doin??

Braking is almost always a better choice and every bike stops quicker than it accelerates.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
What about a chopper with no front brake, huh???

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ilkhan posted:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You can get the grey market bikes legalized and none of the cops generally really know their bikes. It just looks like another supersport and it has a plate so whatever!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Satan pls go

Hey I'd be super wary of getting a 250RR, they're very, very high-maintenance (like think a military-grade 450 level of maintenance) and ultimately pretty slow. 400's are great though.

And as for the CB1300: yes. Yes they're everything you think they are and they're also somehow set up suspension wise that makes them one of the most rewarding and satisfying bikes I've ridden despite being heavy pigs and not that fast. Kind of like a ZRX but instead of feeling like a two-wheeled muscle car they feel like they reward smoothness and technique despite the bulk.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

ilkhan posted:

None of my friends ride, and the only flak I'm getting is for riding at all. Not one has said a word about "only a 300".

You should get new friends. Friends who ride are cool.

Also, if you said less

ilkhan posted:

and more

ilkhan posted:

People would probably stop loving with you.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
ilkhan, for real though, you should look into desert racing. I think it will scratch your itch.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Today was the first encounter I've ever had with GL1100 carbs and that's why I'm posting here. Ok bye now.

Did a frame up rebuild of a GL1000 a few years back. I know your pain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

Did a frame up rebuild of a GL1000 a few years back. I know your pain.

At least now I know Honda's 'everything on top of everything else' design language isn't a recent thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

Are you loving kidding me this is like an hour and a half away from me

Road trip?
It would be cool as gently caress to go see. They never really had motorcycles when I lived around the corner from them. At the very least RVA has some mighty fine food.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
HEL lost my order between Friday and Monday so now I'm not going to get my SV lines until after I get back from a month of being 2000 miles away for work. I'm considering bringing the bike with me and having them ship the lines to the job.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

I usually drag the brakes and hang back rather than using throttle to get gone.

Using the throttle to get gone makes the mouth breathers in Mustangs do dangerous poo poo.

Unless it's on I-90 in Wyoming. Then the only reasonable response to anything is "all the throttle".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
The only time I used acceleration. Was to avoid a driver on her phone and putting on makeup. Other than that I have hung back from cars.