Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

orange juche posted:

No joke had a reserve recruiter call me out of the blue last week, it was all I could do not to laugh on the phone at it.

I just had some fuckstick PO1 shipmate me at the scif after seeing me an hour prior buy a soda at the 7-11 and not removing my cover.

Who has time for that poo poo? Like maybe a little comment while there but to bide your time and very publicly bring it up is just loving dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I can wear my hat indoors and no one gives a gently caress now. Just saying.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
You'll understand better when you've been through more PO indoc

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

You'll understand better when you've been through more PO indoc

Oh yeah I got to do that before next week for PO2.

My unit is 60% officers with the rest being P0 and a single chief. Not a single non-P0. Indoc is a total farce in this unit.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am super salty how you got in a few months before me and I'm not even eligable for my 15% advancement to E4 until September. :argh:

But I've already accepted my fate as a terminal airman.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

I am super salty how you got in a few months before me and I'm not even eligable for my 15% advancement to E4 until September. :argh:

But I've already accepted my fate as a terminal airman.

Please dont be. My life will be hell when I finally get activated because I dont know poo poo and will be expected to perform at some level remotely linked to my rank and I will be considered a liability and shunned by all the actual competent people around me.

At least this is what I've been told but sounds about right.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

germskr posted:

Anyone claim disability when they got out? PM me if yes.

I should've gone through the process to claim my 30% for sleep apnia, hearing loss, and similar stack of ailments. Instead I was a tough sailor and that sounded like I'd have to fight people to get it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

LingcodKilla posted:

At least this is what I've been told but sounds about right.

All the competent people were competent enough to get out. Just pretend you're coming off a 3 year 420 bender and nobody will expect more than you're currently performing at.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

loving :lol: they're seriously considering bringing the kittyhawk out of mothball.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

loving :lol: they're seriously considering bringing the kittyhawk out of mothball.

Sweet! Maybe hire some more people at the shipyards!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

I should've gone through the process to claim my 30% for sleep apnia, hearing loss, and similar stack of ailments. Instead I was a tough sailor and that sounded like I'd have to fight people to get it.

Uh...sleep apnea alone is 50%...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Idk why people in GIP are always like "eh I should have applied for disability LOL oh well!"

🤔 it's--free--money you're entitled to

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Uh...sleep apnea alone is 50%...

I thought you got that from just being fat...

Oh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Horseshit. The lovely kitty should have been razorbladed a long time ago. Bringing her out of mothballs to do what exactly? Take up a spot on the pier because her old as gently caress systems broke and they can't find the old as gently caress contractors who still know how to work on her?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange juche posted:

Horseshit. The lovely kitty should have been razorbladed a long time ago. Bringing her out of mothballs to do what exactly? Take up a spot on the pier because her old as gently caress systems broke and they can't find the old as gently caress contractors who still know how to work on her?

Because there are only 10 carriers in service with one coming online soon and the navy needs 12 active right now to complete all it's missions. Of the carriers in mothball status, the kittyhawk is in the best shape and doesn't require any type of reactor work.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They're going to pull her out, spend several billion dollars refitting and patching her up, and they'll maybe buy a couple deployments for it. She wouldn't be ready for several years anyways so idk why they're doing it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Idk why people in GIP are always like "eh I should have applied for disability LOL oh well!"

🤔 it's--free--money you're entitled to

Sure, if your doctors actually wrote stuff down. Apparently my hearing and knees are fine! That perpetual EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE is nothing to worry about.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I found out I didn't have an audiology exam on file while doing my exit physical.

My only saving grace is that I was a top-sider

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I got absolutely everything documented while I was in. The VA contract docs didn't give a poo poo about any of it and did their own exams. I got money for my bad knees (that I went to medical for YEARS about) that the Navy told me were fine, and 0% for my very well documented hearing loss.

VA Disability is a crapshoot, man. But it's worth it for the free parking alone, in my state. DV plates are free, for anything above 30%, and disabled vets don't pay for parking. State Law. Every time I go to a game it saves me $20.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

poopkitty posted:

I got absolutely everything documented while I was in. The VA contract docs didn't give a poo poo about any of it and did their own exams. I got money for my bad knees (that I went to medical for YEARS about) that the Navy told me were fine, and 0% for my very well documented hearing loss.

VA Disability is a crapshoot, man. But it's worth it for the free parking alone, in my state. DV plates are free, for anything above 30%, and disabled vets don't pay for parking. State Law. Every time I go to a game it saves me $20.

Did you submit on your own or have a VSO or representative do it? I'm not paying a lawyer, but apparently doing it through the VA website makes it less likely that you can file poo poo later on down the road, which is something that I will more than likely have problems from my current service-related injuries. Just wondering if it's worth using a VSO from a VFW or similar.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

germskr posted:

Did you submit on your own or have a VSO or representative do it? I'm not paying a lawyer, but apparently doing it through the VA website makes it less likely that you can file poo poo later on down the road, which is something that I will more than likely have problems from my current service-related injuries. Just wondering if it's worth using a VSO from a VFW or similar.

I submitted mine through the DAV. I was armed with a spreadsheet listing each issue/date of diagnosis/description/frequency/length/current treatment - example:

Left ear/ none/ loud tonal ringing/ daily/constant/none.
Right ear/ruptured eardrum Dec.99/hearing loss/daily/constant/none
ETC

It helped a LOT. The DAV rep also asked a lot of questions, and frankly the C&P doctors are great. They WANT you to get covered and treated. Navy docs loving suck. The only issue I had was the psych part. That was a painful process, proving my assault over and over again to the VA (different offices and people,) despite CO's mast paperwork and police reports, and actually finding a shrink that doesn't suck. Still trying that, actually. But YMMV if you're not a lady goon in TX.

OH also, it was backpaid to the day I MADE my appointment with the DAV. 2 months before I actually filed. I got 7 months backpay. That was great.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
Oh I would love to see the NJP for this. If he was hiding... https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/breaking-news-missing-shiloh-sailor-found-alive-on-ship-1.473645#.WUKKOut95hE

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There won't be NJP because he's brokebrained and hiding was his way of tapping out.

On deployment we had a sadbrains who tried to get out of the deployment but failed. While we were transiting the indian ocean or in the gulf (can't remember exactly) early one morning, a PO2 didn't show up for his watch at 2am. Someone went to his rack to look for him with no dice. They then searched all of his workspaces with once again, nothing to show. After about 30 minutes of looking, this was all reported to the OOD, then the CO, and man overboard was called. The entire ship was woke up and had to muster, and then we sent search parties throughout the skin of the ship and topside. We turned about and started tracing our steps hoping to find him. Finally one of the topside search teams found him asleep next to the rear CIWS mount. We had a suicide watch for him for the rest of his time onboard before he could get heloed off. There was no NJP. Instead he got medboarded out.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Mr. Nice! posted:

There won't be NJP because he's brokebrained and hiding was his way of tapping out.

On deployment we had a sadbrains who tried to get out of the deployment but failed. While we were transiting the indian ocean or in the gulf (can't remember exactly) early one morning, a PO2 didn't show up for his watch at 2am. Someone went to his rack to look for him with no dice. They then searched all of his workspaces with once again, nothing to show. After about 30 minutes of looking, this was all reported to the OOD, then the CO, and man overboard was called. The entire ship was woke up and had to muster, and then we sent search parties throughout the skin of the ship and topside. We turned about and started tracing our steps hoping to find him. Finally one of the topside search teams found him asleep next to the rear CIWS mount. We had a suicide watch for him for the rest of his time onboard before he could get heloed off. There was no NJP. Instead he got medboarded out.

Had a similar story on the Big E. Sailor hid in a head for two days. Days of surface search and no poo poo PSAs 24/7 trying to get said sailor or an acquaintance to come forward with the truth.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
He has a bright future career in hide and seek.

Who was sneaking him food and water?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

He has a bright future career in hide and seek.

Who was sneaking him food and water?

He probably stole a case of PopTarts and snagged a bunch of nalgenes.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Lazy sailors can't find someone hiding properly, they need to learn to field day better. If a person can be undisturbed for days what do you think DUST and OIL are doing?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

M_Gargantua posted:

Lazy sailors can't find someone hiding properly, they need to learn to field day better. If a person can be undisturbed for days what do you think DUST and OIL are doing?

:chiefsay:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

loving christ i am triggered so hard right now, you forgot the SHIPMATE though

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I only say shipmate when I'm being sarcastic

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Hello from somewhere in the Pacific shipmates.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

what's for midrats

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

what's for midrats

Waffles and green beans because they've missed 3 scheduled RAS due to operational tasking.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

orange juche posted:

Waffles and green beans because they've missed 3 scheduled RAS due to operational tasking.

And half the green beans are burnt while the other half so are so mushy you can't pick them up with a fork.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Gotta get them tendies & pb&js

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

vulturesrow posted:

And half the green beans are burnt while the other half so are so mushy you can't pick them up with a fork.

Burnt? My ship just kept putting the asparagus tips out for days on end til they turned black on their own.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
It's not MIDRATS if it's not a single loaf of stale white bread and a jar of jelly, no peanut butter, maybe some leftover french fries or two hot dogs if you are in the filipino mafia.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I pitty the boat that goes underway without a few hundred pound bags of peanut butter and coffee stashed in a puka for emergencies

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Datapoint: We had an dude miss ship's movement because there was a wrestling match he really really wanted to attend. Nothing happened to him. Admittedly, this was 25 years ago, and he was an ensign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

USS Fitzgerald crashed into a merchant ship.