Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Guy Goodbody posted:

Alien 3 loving sucks, dude

every version of Alien 3 is poo poo

These are incorrect assessments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Guy Goodbody posted:

Alien 3 loving sucks, dude

No.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
watch out, we're getting some CineD in here

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You can always tell a Milford man.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

All that's important is that we all acknowledge that Alien: Resurrection is terrible.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Resurrection made a whole lot more sense when I found out it was made by the guy who did Delicatessen.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

knowing that it was written by Jos Whedon explains everything

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

starkebn posted:

knowing that it was written by Jos Whedon explains everything

Supposedly it got rewritten a lot.

Whedon is a fine writer, everyone just hates him because he spawned a wave of imitators who can't pull off his trick as well.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Whedon is a fine writer, everyone just hates him because he spawned a wave of imitators who can't pull off his trick as well.

I liked Firefly, but his style doesn't fit everywhere

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Cabin in the Woods is basically the most Joss Whedon film possible and also the only film that actually really suits his writing/directing style.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

starkebn posted:

I liked Firefly, but his style doesn't fit everywhere

I agree, I think Whedon himself is good at knowing where his style works, but the trend he created doesn't have such knowledge.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

WampaLord posted:

he spawned a wave of imitators who can't pull off his trick as well.

like who?

serious question

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

WampaLord posted:

It wasn't an imitator who wrote Alien Resurrection and Avengers.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Literally the only good thing Joss Whedon ever made, writing or directing, was Cabin in the Woods.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alien: woman goes through violent sexual trauma, escapes, defeats her attacker, and even saves the cat

Aliens: The woman discovers that even though she survived, she's still traumatized, and literally goes back to face her fear, and literally destroys the literal source of her trauma. In doing so she builds a new family for herself

Alien 3: lol gently caress all that, she's literally ruined for the rest of her short life, her family died, she's pregnant with a rape baby, and the only way out is abortion via suicide.

Alien 3 is a massive tonal misstep that completely fucks over Ripley's entire character arc, shits on the previous movies, and turns what was an extremely progressive message about rape survivors into an incredibly regressive message about rape victims.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Literally the only good thing Joss Whedon ever made, writing or directing, was Cabin in the Woods.

He wrote 4 episodes of Roseanne. Someone please get their DVDs out and confirm if they are good and weird episodes of Roseanne.

naem
May 29, 2011

Buddy the vampire slayer is a work of art

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Giga Gaia posted:

He wrote 4 episodes of Roseanne. Someone please get their DVDs out and confirm if they are good and weird episodes of Roseanne.

Just pulled up imdb.

They were more than likely terrible episodes late in the show.

Also I had no idea he was a writer on Toy Story.

So CitW and Toy Story are the only times he made something good.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

WampaLord posted:

All that's important is that we all acknowledge that Alien: Resurrection is terrible.

I have a weird soft spot for one or two parts of it.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Joss sat there getting berated by John Lasseter. He will receive no credit for Toy Story in my hate filled mind.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

naem posted:

Buddy the vampire slayer is a work of art

:yeah:

Cubone posted:

like who?

serious question

Every "quippy" Marvel movie that wasn't written by him. Like whatever hack wrote Doctor Strange, for example, where the concept of Beyonce is a punchline. Say what you will about Whedon, his jokes are at least jokes.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It wasn't an imitator who wrote Alien Resurrection and Avengers.

Avengers is good :colbert:

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 13, 2017

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

someone rename the thread "Be a Jay, Not a Josh", thanks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He didn't direct Cabin either.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Alien: woman goes through violent sexual trauma, escapes, defeats her attacker, and even saves the cat

Aliens: The woman discovers that even though she survived, she's still traumatized, and literally goes back to face her fear, and literally destroys the literal source of her trauma. In doing so she builds a new family for herself

Alien 3: lol gently caress all that, she's literally ruined for the rest of her short life, her family died, she's pregnant with a rape baby, and the only way out is abortion via suicide.

Alien 3 is a massive tonal misstep that completely fucks over Ripley's entire character arc, shits on the previous movies, and turns what was an extremely progressive message about rape survivors into an incredibly regressive message about rape victims.

So... You are unhappy the horror franchise didn't stick to the optimistic bits?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yikes.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
They really should rename face huggers to mouth rapers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

reignofevil posted:

So... You are unhappy the horror franchise didn't stick to the optimistic bits?

You mean the resolution of the first and second movies? The first movie tells a story. The second movie tells a similar story, and they fit together as a good story together. The third movie veers off wildly

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
Now that I think about it, face hugger is an adorable name for a horror monster.

Look out, the tummy tickler is in the ventilation shaft!

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
If a face hugger attached to a person's vagina, would the alien life cycle still be viable?

I want a vag burster scene. Make it happen James Cameron.

Space Taxi fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 13, 2017

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Space Taxi posted:

Now that I think about it, face hugger is an adorable name for a horror monster.

Look out, the tummy tickler is in the ventilation shaft!

scream, scream for your lives

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Space Taxi posted:

I want a vag burster scene. Make it happen James Cameron.

he's busy making 17 Avatar sequels

although maybe he's making a James Cameron Cinematic Universe, who knows

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Just pulled up imdb.

They were more than likely terrible episodes late in the show.

IIRC was a writer on a bad early draft of Toy Story where they were all unlikable shitbags, especially Woody.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Veshpo posted:

IIRC was a writer on a bad early draft of Toy Story where they were all unlikable shitbags, especially Woody.

That sounds about right.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

You mean the resolution of the first and second movies? The first movie tells a story. The second movie tells a similar story, and they fit together as a good story together. The third movie veers off wildly

Yes the resolution to the first and second.

You would have preferred the third was more of the same? And also was inspiring? For the horror franchise?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien 3 is that life will always end in pain and misery and you should just accept it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I would have preferred no more of the same after Aliens and just let the franchise end there

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

reignofevil posted:

Yes the resolution to the first and second.

You would have preferred the third was more of the same? And also was inspiring? For the horror franchise?

Why do you keep saying horror franchise? Why does that matter? The first two movies were about a woman surviving and overcoming rape, essentially. The third movie throws that all into the garbage and just has her kill herself because she can never escape her traumatic past. That's not a fact of horror franchises. I'm pretty sure Scream 3 didn't end with the main chick doing an abortion via suicide. That's not an inescapable staple of the genre.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's a staple of the Alien franchise, actually

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Why do you keep saying horror franchise? Why does that matter? The first two movies were about a woman surviving and overcoming rape, essentially. The third movie throws that all into the garbage and just has her kill herself because she can never escape her traumatic past. That's not a fact of horror franchises. I'm pretty sure Scream 3 didn't end with the main chick doing an abortion via suicide. That's not an inescapable staple of the genre.

Sometimes in horror movies unpleasant things and themes happen tho right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
RAPE guys, it was about RAPE. She went from being RAPED to being ULTRA RAPED.

RAAAAAAAAPE!!

• Locked thread