Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Sinteres posted:

23 million people aren't going to die because of it, ,jfc. I hate the Republican healthcare plan too, but this is obvious hyperbole.

. . . You don't really "get" healthcare, so you?

Edit:

Sinteres posted:

You realize not everyone who loses health insurance dies as a result, certainly? Call it whatever you want, but the idea that you're being coolly rational rather than provocative when you call it genocide is absurd.

Lol, nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thaddius the Large posted:

. . . You don't really "get" healthcare, so you?

:ironicat:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Sinteres posted:

You realize not everyone who loses health insurance dies as a result, certainly? Call it whatever you want, but the idea that you're being coolly rational rather than provocative when you call it genocide is absurd.

Good to know slightly less people might die as a direct result.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

glowing-fish posted:

That is not clear from the text of the amendment itself:

"unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office" are the only words used, and it doesn't specify that this has to be due to obvious medical reasons.
I mean, the intent is probably a medical emergency, but it doesn't say that he has to be unconscious, just unable to do his job.

The political objection, that it isn't likely that a majority of the cabinet and a supermajority of both houses of the legislature are going to go along with this, is a better objection than it is legally impossible to use the 25th for incompetence.

Right. Legally speaking, for either impeachment or the 25th, the Rs need to be on the opposite side most are now. And really, Trump's slowly doing it to himself -- he's been doing it since his campaign.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sinteres posted:

Poor and old isn't a race, and some people will die in the long run as an indirect result of a policy isn't genocide.

"Genocide" does not refer to racial or ethnic extermination exclusively. It simply means the death of a large number of people.

So yes, the AHCA is genocidal. Fight that if you want, but be aware you're carrying water for people who don't care about the distinction you're trying to promote.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

buglord posted:

What's the expectation for tomorrow's testimony from sessions? We had a pretty good idea with Comey since that document came out the day before he spoke. But his testimony in person was a bit more damning, which was nice. Sessions appears way more buddy-buddy with trump so he'll probably lie through the whole thing? Can he get in trouble for lying?

I am calling it as "I have recused myself from the investigation, I can not comment" and "I can not comment on that, as it regards executive privilege/national security measures"

He can't comment on any meetings between him and agents of Russia because that involves national security discussions.

As to why he previously testified during his confirmation that he never met with the Russians, it just slipped his mind because it was so minor.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Sinteres posted:

The government has to only kill like 100 people to be more lethal than the sum of all recent terror attacks (which Americans poo poo their pants about constantly).

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Republican plan is cruel and will hurt people, and yes kill some of them, but you guys are firmly in alternative facts territory here.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nope, sorry. 23 million people is the short term estimate of health insurance losses. Long term death toll is actually likely to be much higher.

I know you want to be cool and disbelieve how bad the bill is because it's hard to wrap your brain around how anything could be that bad, but it really is that bad.

10,000 a year extra deaths is what I heard bandied about before the AHCA failed the first time.

There's a reason absolutely no-one with anything to do with healthcare supports this insanity.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay you don't like the 23M number. Will you accept one million? Because that's still genocide and you're still going to bat for murderers.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

You have to also account for which 23 million people will lose health insurance. It won't be the healthy, wealthy demographic that can get by to some degree without it, it will be the old, the poor, and the already ill who will absolutely die without it.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The 25th is perfectly applicable here and its use would absolutely be appropriate. The problem is that it was drafted assuming an unconscious president not one whose competency is a subject of potential argument. It would turn into a giant clusterfuck as Trump contested it and the political fallout among Trump's base would be immense.

Firmly disagree

Section 4 clearly imagines the case where the President contests the claim of disability and grants Congress the ability to decide on the ability of the President to discharge their powers and duties. Notably the bar here is set higher than impeachment since it requires 2/3rds of both the House and Senate.

Ignoring the political likelihood, the 25th amendment is clearly not designed solely for an unconscious president.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
Seriously, yo, search "genocide definition" on Google. Semantics derails are the worst.

quote:

Search Results
gen·o·cide
ˈjenəˌsīd/
noun
noun: genocide; plural noun: genocides

the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.

So yes, like Russia slowly starving the Ukraine in years past, according to the CBO it'd literally be a genocide by the Republican Party.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
If we assume that only 1/10th of that 23 million die as a result of the bill, that's still 2.5 million. That is more than twice the amount of people who died in the Porajmos.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Please enlighten us of the data you've collected that conflicts with the CBO. You should also send that info to the Heritage Foundation or something since that's got to be worth a few mil.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also let's not forget people like me, who will merely suffer crippling pain and have long-term diseases that will get worse due to being unable to use the expensive treatments that control them.

I won't die, but I'm gonna be pretty loving unhappy.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

mdemone posted:

"Genocide" does not refer to racial or ethnic extermination exclusively. It simply means the death of a large number of people.

So yes, the AHCA is genocidal. Fight that if you want, but be aware you're carrying water for people who don't care about the distinction you're trying to promote.

quote:

The United Nations Genocide Convention, which was established in 1948, defines genocide as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group".

It usually means trying to destroy an identifiable group of people

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Sinteres posted:

The Republican plan is cruel and will hurt people, and yes kill some of them, but you guys are firmly in alternative facts territory here.

What number of people need to die before it matters enough to you?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

It's not like Republicans will be setting up death panels oh wait

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mdemone posted:

The person, Raphael Lemkin, who coined the term genocide disagrees with you:

quote:

By ‘genocide’ we mean the destruction of a nation or of an ethnic group. This new word, coined by the author to denote an old practice in its modern development, is made from the ancient Greek word genos (race, tribe) and the Latin cide (killing)…. Generally speaking, genocide does not necessarily mean the immediate destruction of a nation, except when accomplished by mass killings of all members of a nation. It is intended rather to signify a coordinated plan of different actions aiming at the destruction of essential foundations of the life of national groups, with the aim of annihilating the groups themselves. Genocide is directed against the national group as an entity, and the actions involved are directed against individuals, not in their individual capacity, but as members of the national group” (80)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

mdemone posted:

Genocide requires targeting a class of people for extermination.

I really dislike calling the AHCA genocide. By the standard implied by people here anything that causes a net increase in aggregate mortality is an act of genocide. That nearly nullifies the term.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

gently caress SNEEP posted:

What number of people need to die before it matters enough to you?

I said it matters, it's just not loving genocide. Stupid slapfights demanding people to use incorrect terminology or they're the real Hitlers are unbelievably stupid.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Mattis; acting President

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiZuqsDrcGs

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Lefty circular firing squad caused by semantic bullshit, never saw that before.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
the key word is deliberate and while this isnt an argument I'm going to win here, the deliberate purpose of the ahca isn't to kill poor people (that's just a side effect of making rich people richer. If they could get more money by not killing people, most of them would take that option, because it would be easier to get votes for)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

awesmoe posted:

the key word is deliberate and while this isnt an argument I'm going to win here, the deliberate purpose of the ahca isn't to kill poor people (that's just a side effect of making rich people richer. If they could get more money by not killing people, most of them would take that option, because it would be easier to get votes for)

I'm legitimately no longer convinced this is true about them.

At a certain point it becomes kinda clear that 'killing and causing the suffering of the poor' is a plus for them.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

EwokEntourage posted:

It usually means trying to destroy an identifiable group of people

:argh: United Nations :argh:

Fine whatever. This group of people is identifiable as "poor and old", semantics solved.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
still lmaoing at sinteres thinking likely millions of people dying is just "some people"

Caros
May 14, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

If we assume that only 1/10th of that 23 million die as a result of the bill, that's still 2.5 million. That is more than twice the amount of people who died in the Porajmos.

While he is loving stupid and the acha is garbage, lets not blow this out of proportion and look rediculous.

Two million people are not going to die as a result of the acha. The majority of people slated to lose care didn't have care before the ACA was passed and they lived through that (albeit shittier lives).

Estimates from actual healthcare professionals put the count at closer to 10,000 per year. That should be horrifying enough without having to get into hyperbole that Trump is going to somehow kill 0.5% of the country.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sinteres posted:

I said it matters, it's just not loving genocide. Stupid slapfights demanding people to use incorrect terminology or they're the real Hitlers are unbelievably stupid.

Don't get whip lash.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sinteres posted:

As above --

depending on how you slice the numbers, it's tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of deaths in the short to near term, and yes, millions of deaths in the long term if the law isn't changed.

( See, e.g., https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/14/14921962/ahca-mortality-gun-homicides ; I think that article severely underestimates the numbers of dead because Medicaid patients tend to have shorter lifespans and more severe medical needs, due to poverty and the other factors correllated with poverty).

So let's look at uses of the term "genocide" -- how many deaths does it take?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genocides_by_death_toll

800,000 people died in the Rwandan genocide; 8,000 in the Bosnian genocide.

Does genocide have to have a racial component?

Well,

quote:

Medicaid covers over half of Black children (51%), helping to substantially fill their gap in private coverage. Medicaid plays a much more limited role for Black adults, leaving more than a quarter uninsured (26%). These coverage patterns reflect the fact that states have significantly expanded children’s eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP, while Medicaid eligibility for adults remains very limited in most states.

http://www.kff.org/disparities-policy/fact-sheet/health-coverage-for-the-black-population-today-and-under-the-affordable-care-act/

African-Americans are also disproportionately represented in the Medicaid rolls; they make up 13.2% of the US population, but 19 percent of medicaid enrolees.

The republican health care bill qualifies on death count, it qualifies on racial bias, it's a goddam genocide.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 13, 2017

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

awesmoe posted:

They all know its going to be a side effect, so by doing nothing yes its deliberate.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Look guys I hate Trump too but you're dead wrong on the twenty-fifth amendment. Incompetence is a political question, the twenty-fifth amendment isn't meant to deal with that. Unless you think any president who makes policy you disagree with is "disabled", but that's an insane interpretation that would destroy the Twenty-fifth, an important part of the constitution for continuity of the executive.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
In the long term, it is cheaper to house the homeless than to police them; to provide healthcare than to treat epidemics.
Republican policies are less compatible with naked greed than they are with malice. A person motivated solely by greed would not behave like a Republican. Greed is part of their motivation, certainly, but if you don't think harming people is another one of their goals than you are deluding yourself.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sinteres posted:

Sinteres posted:

I said it matters, it's just not loving genocide. Stupid slapfights demanding people to use correct terminology or they're the real Hitlers are unbelievably stupid.

Are you glad you started this?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lol who cares about a piddly million dead when climate change will kill billions if we don't change our ways.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

In the long term, it is cheaper to house the homeless than to police them; to provide healthcare than to treat epidemics.
Republican policies are less compatible with naked greed than they are with malice. A person motivated solely by greed would not behave like a Republican. Greed is part of their motivation, certainly, but if you don't think harming people is another one of their goals than you are deluding yourself.

That's like Reaganomics 101: short term gains above all else.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

glowing-fish posted:

That is not clear from the text of the amendment itself:

"unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office" are the only words used, and it doesn't specify that this has to be due to obvious medical reasons.
I mean, the intent is probably a medical emergency, but it doesn't say that he has to be unconscious, just unable to do his job.

The political objection, that it isn't likely that a majority of the cabinet and a supermajority of both houses of the legislature are going to go along with this, is a better objection than it is legally impossible to use the 25th for incompetence.

You are correct that "disability" is not defined in the amendment. What constitutes disability is also a political question. You could use the twenty-fifth to get rid of presidents that are merely incompetent. But it would be very unwise. You shouldn't politicize a part of the constitution put in place to deal with things like assassinations and terrorist attacks.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 13, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ELLEmagazine/status/874428342191214592
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/874420764149039105

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mdemone posted:

Are you glad you started this?

Genocide's an important word which has a specific meaning and shouldn't be thrown around lightly. Callous indifference and partial reversion to the healthcare status quo of eight years ago isn't genocide. Is Obamacare genocide because it's not single payer and could save more lives if it were?

• Locked thread