Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Big Willy Style posted:

Labor and Emperors Children ARE poo poo SORRY MATE

I'll fuckin' get you *cries imperfectly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
It's like triple J's unearthed only poo poo:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4596400/Australia-s-dole-bludger-suburbs-revealed.html

quote:

Revealed: Australia's top 10 dole bludger suburbs where welfare recipients are slacking off the most By Jacob Polychronis For Daily Mail Australia PUBLISHED: 01:49 +10:00, 13 June 2017 | UPDATED: 10:10 +10:00, 13 June 2017

New figures have revealed Australia's top 10 dole bludging suburbs Blacktown has the highest figure in New South Wales and second nationwide. On top was Caboolture, north of Brisbane, while Victoria had five in the top ten. A total of 28,150 people in NSW in the past were found to be dole bludgers

Australia's top 10 dole bludger hotspots have been revealed, with Caboolture in Queensland coming first and Blacktown in Sydney's west second in the national list. New figures show the amount of welfare recipients who have consistently failed to turn up to jobseeker interviews or work-for-the-dole appointments in the past year. Residents in Blacktown are the second least likely to meet the requirements of their welfare conditions, with 333 people failing to turn up to five or more appointments, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Top of the nationwide list was Caboolture, north of Brisbane, with 387 dole bludgers while Victoria took up five places in the top 10. Mildura, in north-west Victoria, had the third-highest figure of dole bludgers with 329 failing to turn up to five or more appointments, followed by Frankston - in Melbourne's south-east - and Deception Bay, north of Brisbane.

AUSTRALIA'S TOP TEN BLUDGER HOTSPOTS

1. Caboolture, Queensland

2. Blacktown, New South Wales

3. Mildura, Victoria

4. Frankston, Victoria

5. Deception Bay, Queensland

6. Werribee, Victoria

7. St Albans, Victoria

8. Dubbo, New South Wales

9. Auburn, New South Wales

10. Dandenong, Victoria

A total of 2,241 people in the top 10 and more than 28,150 in NSW failed to turn up to five or more Centrelink appointments or job interviews in the past year, the newspaper reported. Human Services Minister Alan Tudge denied the government was 'embarrassing' suburbs by publishing the list. 'This is not embarrassing the suburbs. This is simply pointing out where the numbers lie. Unfortunately, there are hotspots in this country,' he told the Nine Network on Tuesday. Mr Tudge said the results show why the government's proposal for a demerit point system is needed. Those who rack up four demerit points will then enter the 'three strikes' territory and face climbing penalties, including losing half their fortnightly payment for their first strike without a reasonable excuse. 'There are clearly suburbs in Australia where there is a concentration of people consistently missing appointments and job interviews and have no excuse for doing so,' he told The Daily Telegraph. 'The majority are men under 30 who should be doing everything they can to get work.'

Nationals MP Andrew Broad, whose Victorian electorate includes Mildura - which has the state's highest rate of welfare non-compliance - says there are job opportunities in his region. 'If you are receiving an unemployment benefit in Mildura we expect you to have a mutual obligation to be giving back and to go from being an unemployed person to being a job seeker,' Mr Broad told reporters in Canberra. 'We do have a job for you.' Australians expect those receiving benefits to be compliant with the rules, he said.
Let's unpick that a bit:

http://caboolture.localstats.com.au/demographics/qld/brisbane/outer-northern-suburbs/caboolture

quote:

n the 2011 census the population of Caboolture was 21,929

quote:

Caboolture has an unemployment rate of 10.3%.

= 2260 unemployed. So this 'hot spot is a tiny proportion of the unemployed AND given the level of screwing up that the JSPs do especially regarding 'appointments' a high proportion are likely to be spurious in any case. :jerkbag:

-/-

In amazing schadenfreude news (from Britain) :-

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-09/may-eyes-deal-with-irish-party-in-bid-to-cling-to-power/8605222

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-10/uk-election-democratic-unionist-party-dup-brexit-explained/8606954

quote:

What does this mean for Brexit?

The party is now led by former-lawyer and unionist Arlene Foster.

Ms Foster has previously said "no-one wants to see a hard Brexit" and has spoken about the need to avoid a hard border with the Republic of Ireland.

"What we want to see is a workable plan to leave the European Union, and that's what the national [referendum] vote was about it — therefore we need to get on with that," she said in an interview with Sky News.

"No-one wants to see a hard border, Sinn Fein [the opposing party in Northern Ireland] talk about it a lot, but nobody wants a hard border."

So following the monumentally stupid Brexit referendum fate has handed May a government that will make leaving the EEU complex at best and more likely impossible. The Torys in the UK are an example to us all (of one sort or another).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Spirited Andrew Bolt puts his attackers to shame

So, I made a mistake. You could even say I was wr… wro… less right than usual.

A couple of weeks ago, amused by the Nazi punching meme, I wrote what I hoped would be an amusing column unpacking that particular clown circus. In the end I came down on the side of not punching anyone, but I had so much fun relaying the arguments in favour of getting punchy that I probably didn't make myself clear. So I'll try again: Physically attacking anybody for any reason other than unavoidable defence against a clear and present danger is a douche move.

What about less violent physical confrontations.

Like glitter bombing reactionary trollumnist Andrew Bolt?

TWITTER WHATSAPP

CommentBlunt InstrumentList subcategories

SAVE

LICENSE ARTICLE

50 READING NOW

SHOW COMMENTS

John Birmingham

12 hrs ago

Play Video

New vision of Bolt attack

A couple of weeks ago, amused by the Nazi punching meme, I wrote what I hoped would be an amusing column unpacking that particular clown circus. In the end I came down on the side of not punching anyone, but I had so much fun relaying the arguments in favour of getting punchy that I probably didn't make myself clear. So I'll try again: Physically attacking anybody for any reason other than unavoidable defence against a clear and present danger is a douche move.

RELATED ARTICLE

Bolt assault: Photographer says he is not connected to any political groups

Still a douche move.

And shooting video of your sad little glitter bomb attack for a little viral release after the fact? A moronic douche move of such life-threatening stupidity that you would probably die of stupidity even in a carefully controlled ecosystem designed to foster hand-raised idiots for release into the wild. An environment, say, not unlike the comment thread of an Andrew Bolt blog.

Yes. That's right.

If you are dumb enough to physically attack Andrew Bolt, even with glitter and shaving cream, you are probably so stupid that natural selection couldn't find a niche for you in an environment of perfect stupidity.

Seriously, what were those guys thinking last week? The ones who not only attacked Bolt from behind but apparently did so on camera?

The first thing they were thinking, like anybody who raises a hand against anyone else, is that they were going to win. They were going to get away with it. 

But that didn't work out so well did it?

I'll give the Bolter this if nothing else, he has a brawler's instincts and a fighter's spirit. He was attacked, without warning, from behind, and his natural reaction was two-fisted. Most people would just freeze. There was nothing polished about his defence. It was a wild melee of a thing, with no footwork and dangerously poor target selection. I think he might have punched a pole at one point. But unlike the arse clowns who ambushed him, he was up for it. The first sign of any push back and those heroes, all three of them, went to water.

They looked like cowards and fools. The only harm they did to Bolt was to ruin his suit, which he's now auctioned off for charity. 

The harm they did to the arguments and standing of everyone who disagrees with his vile and frequently dangerous opinions was immeasurable.

Nice work, fellas. 

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You're absolutely correct FamilyVoice "sex changes" are a myth and do not change a person's sex. Instead the process is called gender reassignment. hth.

*gender confirmation

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

TWITTER WHATSAPP

CommentBlunt InstrumentList subcategories

SAVE

LICENSE ARTICLE

50 READING NOW

SHOW COMMENTS

John Birmingham

12 hrs ago

Play Video

New vision of Bolt attack

RELATED ARTICLE

Bolt assault: Photographer says he is not connected to any political groups

Still a douche move.

And shooting video of your sad little glitter bomb attack for a little viral release after the fact? A moronic douche move of such life-threatening stupidity that you would probably die of stupidity even in a carefully controlled ecosystem designed to foster hand-raised idiots for release into the wild. An environment, say, not unlike the comment thread of an Andrew Bolt blog.

Yes. That's right.

If you are dumb enough to physically attack Andrew Bolt, even with glitter and shaving cream, you are probably so stupid that natural selection couldn't find a niche for you in an environment of perfect stupidity.

Seriously, what were those guys thinking last week? The ones who not only attacked Bolt from behind but apparently did so on camera?

The first thing they were thinking, like anybody who raises a hand against anyone else, is that they were going to win. They were going to get away with it. 

But that didn't work out so well did it?

I'll give the Bolter this if nothing else, he has a brawler's instincts and a fighter's spirit. He was attacked, without warning, from behind, and his natural reaction was two-fisted. Most people would just freeze. There was nothing polished about his defence. It was a wild melee of a thing, with no footwork and dangerously poor target selection. I think he might have punched a pole at one point. But unlike the arse clowns who ambushed him, he was up for it. The first sign of any push back and those heroes, all three of them, went to water.

They looked like cowards and fools. The only harm they did to Bolt was to ruin his suit, which he's now auctioned off for charity. 

The harm they did to the arguments and standing of everyone who disagrees with his vile and frequently dangerous opinions was immeasurable.

Nice work, fellas. 
Edit your poo poo Brisbane boy.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Edit your poo poo Brisbane boy.

Nah. I'll just leave it on the street

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
At least the church doesn't actually seem to hate the mentally ill, just trans people. They just sat down and thought 'how can we try ensure trans people don't feel welcome in society? I know we can claim we want the ban the mentally ill because it makes us feel ~~**unsafe**~~ and then once we get that exemption say trans people are mentally ill and thus can't come to church'. So they're just playing political football with the mentally ill to be hateful fucks just like God intended.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

They've gone one better than that, they want the Act to stop imposing a value system...if it's not theirs.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm a monster who's on the dole and needs to vent.

I turned down a job as a sales/logistics coordinator because it was paying minimum wage when, based on my research, people on average earn about $25 for that position. I could've accepted less than that, but the employer wouldn't raise the pay and we parted on amicable terms. I contacted my recruitment agency to let them know and they said my Newstart might now be at risk of termination because I didn't accept suitable employment. I pointed out that this forces me to accept employment I don't want, which screws over the employer a few months down the road when I find better work and they've wasted time training me (this was a small business and I would have been running their whole office, so they would have ended up in a very lovely position). I pointed out that being forced into the job makes me less flexible in terms of taking calls/attending interviews for jobs I do want. I didn't point out that any employer who went through the agency and was aware of these terms could force people into contracts offering less pay than the position deserves. I also didn't point out that this could lead to me attending interviews for jobs I don't want and tanking them just so I'm meeting my obligations.

It's absurd. They know I'm actively trying to find work. I got interviewed and offered the job two hours after the agency told me about it. I liked it and would've accepted if the pay was reasonable. And now I might be cut off from assistance. I doubt Centrelink are going to appreciate the nuances of the situation.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Bogan King posted:

At least the church doesn't actually seem to hate the mentally ill, just trans people. They just sat down and thought 'how can we try ensure trans people don't feel welcome in society? I know we can claim we want the ban the mentally ill because it makes us feel ~~**unsafe**~~ and then once we get that exemption say trans people are mentally ill and thus can't come to church'. So they're just playing political football with the mentally ill to be hateful fucks just like God intended.

It'd amuse me being called delusional and mentally ill by a bunch of people who believe some of the things that fundamentalist christians believe - if they didn't actually have political and social influence.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

I'm a monster who's on the dole and needs to vent.

I turned down a job as a sales/logistics coordinator because it was paying minimum wage when, based on my research, people on average earn about $25 for that position. I could've accepted less than that, but the employer wouldn't raise the pay and we parted on amicable terms. I contacted my recruitment agency to let them know and they said my Newstart might now be at risk of termination because I didn't accept suitable employment. I pointed out that this forces me to accept employment I don't want, which screws over the employer a few months down the road when I find better work and they've wasted time training me (this was a small business and I would have been running their whole office, so they would have ended up in a very lovely position). I pointed out that being forced into the job makes me less flexible in terms of taking calls/attending interviews for jobs I do want. I didn't point out that any employer who went through the agency and was aware of these terms could force people into contracts offering less pay than the position deserves. I also didn't point out that this could lead to me attending interviews for jobs I don't want and tanking them just so I'm meeting my obligations.

It's absurd. They know I'm actively trying to find work. I got interviewed and offered the job two hours after the agency told me about it. I liked it and would've accepted if the pay was reasonable. And now I might be cut off from assistance. I doubt Centrelink are going to appreciate the nuances of the situation.

This is unbelievably lovely and a perfect example of the system failing to provide for a person doing the right thing. Centrelink should be supporting job seekers getting the right job not getting "any loving job". It's totally missing the forest for the trees in terms of economic outcomes and going straight to kicking the poor.

gently caress.

Also you are right logistics co-ordinators are usually not a minimum wage role.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Guess my brother was lucky as gently caress. He just recently quit his agency job after working in a plastic bag factory. They weren't giving him proper safety gear to deal with the fumes from the glue and his agency didn't even ask why, just gave him a new job on the Monday.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Guess my brother was lucky as gently caress. He just recently quit his agency job after working in a plastic bag factory. They weren't giving him proper safety gear to deal with the fumes from the glue and his agency didn't even ask why, just gave him a new job on the Monday.

Holy poo poo please have him report this to a regulator or safety agency or union or loving something.

because uhhhh yeah holy poo poo.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah I don't assume for a second that this Liberal government see the concept of you being forced into minimum wage work for a WEALTH CREATOR* or risk losing your sub-poverty level welfare payments as a bad thing. System working as intended.

*potential party donor

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

hooman posted:

Holy poo poo please have him report this to a regulator or safety agency or union or loving something.

because uhhhh yeah holy poo poo.

Yeah, he said the guy he was working with was completely hosed in the head from the stuff after working there for like 10 years. I should get him to give WorkSafe a call.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

hooman posted:

This is unbelievably lovely and a perfect example of the system failing to provide for a person doing the right thing. Centrelink should be supporting job seekers getting the right job not getting "any loving job". It's totally missing the forest for the trees in terms of economic outcomes and going straight to kicking the poor.

gently caress.

Also you are right logistics co-ordinators are usually not a minimum wage role.
Thanks. I needed to hear someone say it's as lovely as it appears to me.

I have to wait until tomorrow to hear back from the agency. I might be okay on the technicality that I've said I'm looking for full-time work and the position was part-time (for some reason the employer told the agency it's full-time when it was only 20 hours). Also, they were only paying $13 during the training period, which has to be illegal? Hopefully the agency consider this and doesn't forward anything to Centrelink, but who knows.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
You're probably almost certainly going to lose your benefits, snoremac. If you want to keep Newstart, you can't turn down work, particularly if your agency found it. Even if it's poo poo work you're overqualified for.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

Thanks. I needed to hear someone say it's as lovely as it appears to me.

I have to wait until tomorrow to hear back from the agency. I might be okay on the technicality that I've said I'm looking for full-time work and the position was part-time (for some reason the employer told the agency it's full-time when it was only 20 hours). Also, they were only paying $13 during the training period, which has to be illegal? Hopefully the agency consider this and doesn't forward anything to Centrelink, but who knows.

:catstare:

Maybe some of the more workplace law educated can comment on this one (JBP?) but I'm pretty sure they can't do that.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hey I didnt make these posts what's going on

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Murdoch to be given channel 10 at bargain price?.

Driving Channel 10 into administration will "force" President Trumball to break the media rules to allow them to get it, but what's the end game? Channel 10 becomes FoxNews? I thought Sky News had that gig already.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Seems to me like paying $13/h for training would be the same as unpaid trials. That is it's only legal insofar as it's necessary as a demonstration of your skill. If you had more than one shift of doing the same type of work at that rate that's probably illegal, but IANAL.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's only legit if it's part of an actual training program with a corresponding qualification.

I'd make a complaint to Centrelink about your JSA and tell them that they pressured you into accepting illegal work.

quote:

https://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/minimum-wages/apprentice-and-trainee-pay-rates#trainee-pay
An employee can't be paid trainee rates just because they're new to a job or are being trained in a new task. Employees can only be paid trainee pay rates when they have a formal training contract with their employer and are signed up with a Registered Training Organisation (eg. at TAFE).

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

open24hours posted:

It's only legit if it's part of an actual training program with a corresponding qualification.

I'd make a complaint to Centrelink about your JSA and tell them that they pressured you into accepting illegal work.

Wow, thanks. The agency wasn't aware of the illegal training rate when I mentioned it, so hopefully when they call me back tomorrow they'll accept my refusal to sign the contract as not breaching my obligations. Surely they won't say something like "You should have informed us of the illegal rate so we could contact the employer and have them amend the contract." Surely I had recourse to reject it on the spot.

Otherwise I'll definitely do what you said. I'll be transferring to a new agency regardless.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 13, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Do recruitment agents get commissions when they successfully find an employee for an employer? I'm just wondering whether they have an actual stake in this that might explain why they suddenly became such assholes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

snoremac posted:

Do recruitment agents get commissions when they successfully find an employee for an employer? I'm just wondering whether they have an actual stake in this that might explain why they suddenly became such assholes.

They don't do it for the love of humanity.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

snoremac posted:

Yes, but I think its only after you have been on the books for a certain amount of time, or its increased after you have been on the books for a while. Not too sure.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

snoremac posted:

As far as I know, they always get a commission, and they get a larger one if you've been unemployed for a certain period of time.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

snoremac posted:

E. Beaten
And they get more money the longer you've been unemployed before you get work so they don't really try too hard for the first six months

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i hate the name dole bludger

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-13/lord-howe-islands-plans-for-wind-turbines-denied/8613506
A controversial plan to build wind turbines on Lord Howe Island off the New South Wales north coast has been rejected by the Federal Government.

Only a few hundred people live on Lord Howe Island, boosted by about 400 tourists at any one time. They all rely on a diesel generator for power.

The plan was to build two wind turbines to replace the generator. As a World Heritage-listed site, it had to be approved by federal Environment Minister Josh Frydenberg.

But he has rejected the proposal, which he said would "have clearly unacceptable impacts".

A spokesman for Mr Fydenberg said the "Government considered the proposed wind turbines would create a considerable, intrusive visual impact".

[...]

Mr Murray says a survey of locals' opinion suggested that 92pc supported the plan

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

bowmore posted:

i hate the name dole bludger

The history of it is weird, and somewhat ironic that people who accuse others of being bludgers are more often than not those who the term would have originally applied to: i.e people who get rich of the work off others through little effort of their own.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

snoremac posted:

Please update on what the JSP says tomorrow. I'm going to have to go back to dealing with one shortly, after being with one JSP for the maximum allowed time and finding a job through them. Coincidentally, my job stopped giving me hours when I was no longer on the JSP's books. Gonna be fun times ahead. :suicide:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Korgan posted:

Please update on what the JSP says tomorrow. I'm going to have to go back to dealing with one shortly, after being with one JSP for the maximum allowed time and finding a job through them. Coincidentally, my job stopped giving me hours when I was no longer on the JSP's books. Gonna be fun times ahead. :suicide:

Sure, will do.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zenithe posted:

The history of it is weird, and somewhat ironic that people who accuse others of being bludgers are more often than not those who the term would have originally applied to: i.e people who get rich of the work off others through little effort of their own.
yeah, they certainly are not getting rich

the term dole bludger is a form of symbolic violence against people that mostly don't have a choice in the way their lives are going

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It's not very subtle "poor shaming". I know quite a few people who have had it sufficiently drilled into them that they'd never go on the dole because they're not that kind of person just because of how demonised it's become.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/oz_f/status/874503734528626689

https://twitter.com/MsLods/status/874502488858046464

Here comes dat boy eh?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Hey The Age, it ain't a controversial plan if 92% of the people want it. It's controversial because the Liberals have an absolute hate hard on for renewables and wind turbines

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

That does it I'm joining Salt

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

loving LOL. Great work idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
If there's one lesson we can take from Corbyn's success in Britain it's that *checks notes* small target strategies and folding in the face of right wing scare tactics works!

• Locked thread