Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Giants drafted Luis Gonzalez's kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Is the SEC a competitive division for college baseball? Cause drat.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Paracaidas posted:

Royce was almost certainly underslot, ignore Heyman. This is the new cba though, so it probably doesn't matter.

Curious about who will fall to the twins at 35/37 to put that money to. Had been hoping Kendall and/or Carlson, but looks like half of the dream is dead.

#35 - Brent Rooker (1B - Mississippi State)
#37 - Landon Leach (RHP - Pickering HS, Ajax, ON)

Rooker was #91 on Law's list and can't play anywhere but 1B. Yeah, he put up stupid good numbers last season, but he's also 23. Leach was ranked #101 by MLB.com and is committed to playing at Texas.

Either Falvey's a genius or a loving moron.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 13, 2017

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The Reds drafted a high schooler named Jeter with their first supplemental pick. Get this, he plays shortstop AND his parents named him after Derek Jeter!

Can't wait to hear that one ten billion times.

Even as I Reds fan, I hope he doesn't make it so I don't have to.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Oh no, we suck again!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

Is the SEC a competitive division for college baseball? Cause drat.

I have no idea, but warm places in the south are generally where baseball players come from so I'd imagine it's a good conference?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

SEC put like 10 teams in regionals I think, they're usually one of the most competitive of the major conferences.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

Oh no, we suck again!

This is the most I've ever seen the Astros deal with injuries, and it's come at a pretty poor time.

At this point I'd take .500 baseball through the All Star break in a heartbeat.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Intruder posted:

Oh no, we suck again!

It begins :getin:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

SEC put like 10 teams in regionals I think, they're usually one of the most competitive of the major conferences.

I think someone once equivocated SEC ball to good AA teams

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

#35 - Brent Rooker (1B - Mississippi State)
#37 - Landon Leach (RHP - Pickering HS, Ajax, ON)

Rooker was #91 on Law's list and can't play anywhere but 1B. Yeah, he put up stupid good numbers last season, but he's also 23. Leach was ranked #101 by MLB.com and is committed to playing at Texas.

Either Falvey's a genius or a loving moron.

I thought for sure we were taking the Burnsville kid

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Mariners score 14 on the road. What a roller coaster team.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Aaron Judge is the second coming.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

kensei posted:

Yeah they're really feast or famine this year. With Haniger back and some of the rotation set to return soon things are looking good though! I hope felix isn't completely dead; he looked great in his last rehab start even if he was poo poo in his first one.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inspector_666 posted:

Aaron Judge is the second coming.

I gotta say if I could have any 1 good rookie position player on the Jays this would be my pick for sure.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

zapplez posted:

I gotta say if I could have any 1 good rookie position player on the Jays this would be my pick for sure.

forget the rookie and position qualifiers. he's amazing

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

kensei posted:

If I've ever seen the M's win by 11 in person before I sure as hell don't remember it. That was great.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm still lolling at the Braves winning an 11-10 game

this is not a joke or irony: Tyler flowers legit deserves to be in the top 2 or 3 of NL catcher all-star votes

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

This is the most I've ever seen the Astros deal with injuries, and it's come at a pretty poor time.

At this point I'd take .500 baseball through the All Star break in a heartbeat.

Having a double digit division lead when all your pitchers get injured is actually a pretty good time

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

Having a double digit division lead when all your pitchers get injured is actually a pretty good time

Imagine dealing with this poo poo on October 1st.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

In terms of going against your primary division rivals, and likely losing most if not all against them.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Allow me to tempt fate: What division rivals?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Angels and Rangers? The past few seasons they've been right up there with the Astros.

Granted, the Angels have lost Trout...but they're still treading water enough for me to be a tad concerned.

It's still 12 games, which is a wonderful cushion to have. But we cannot ignore just how badly the starting rotation's injuries have devastated our entire pitching staff right now. Every pitcher in the bullpen is gassed, the starters are barely making it past 4 innings in the majority of games lately...

It sucks.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

this is not a joke or irony: Tyler flowers legit deserves to be in the top 2 or 3 of NL catcher all-star votes

Frank Wren would have thrown so much money at him...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

Angels and Rangers? The past few seasons they've been right up there with the Astros.

Granted, the Angels have lost Trout...but they're still treading water enough for me to be a tad concerned.

It's still 12 games, which is a wonderful cushion to have. But we cannot ignore just how badly the starting rotation's injuries have devastated our entire pitching staff right now. Every pitcher in the bullpen is gassed, the starters are barely making it past 4 innings in the majority of games lately...

It sucks.

Allow me to clarify

In 2017: what division rivals?

:colbert:

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

The mariners are about to catch fire (in a good way) :colbert:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

132 WRC+ over the past 365 days. He's carrying a .388 BABIP over that time but you can't fault a guy for what he's done. It just sucks for the Braves that they have caught lightning in a bottle in Flowers and it will probably go for naught.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

zapplez posted:

Vlad Jr. 2019 MVP

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Is Royce Lewis a good pick? From what I read he's fast, weak arm, middling fielding, and could possibly develop into a power hitter. Is that accurate?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bradzilla posted:

Is Royce Lewis a good pick? From what I read he's fast, weak arm, middling fielding, and could possibly develop into a power hitter. Is that accurate?

Severely underselling him, from what I saw/read.

He's a high schooler though so who knows. We'll find out in like four years.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

guerrero/gurriel has a lot of potential for a really fun team

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://gfycat.com/LegitimatePresentFlyingsquirrel

Is this an error or a hit?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 13, 2017

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

This type of play will never not be funny to see on a major league level

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

bradzilla posted:

He's not a gold glove SS as a high schooler, but few are.

His BP writeup is free:
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=31363

BP posted:

Lewis boasts a bag full of raw tools (emphasis: raw), and he shows enough flashes of them in-game to project on the side of optimism for eventual translation of tools into premium talent. There’s some golden retriever puppy effect to him, where he hasn’t quite learned how to harness his quick-twitch athleticism or refine it into controlled fluidity, but that day will come. He has the physical tools to play shortstop, though the fielding actions are quite raw along with a combination of arm strength that is more alright than asset and spotty mechanics on the run may ultimately force him to center field.

Looks like he'll play a premium position regardless. "Reasonable" ceiling would be very rangy up-the-middle defense, hitting something like .310, 20 HR, 30+ SB... Jeets with better range and a somewhat worse arm

More realistic outcome is probably above-average D floating around .280, gap power, and 30 SB... Eddie Rosario but better at everything.

Most realistic outcome is total bust because he's a high school draftee-but I don't think there's anyone in the draft that I really love the ceiling/floor combo on.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/21753540/v415093683/chcsf-schwarber-reaches-second-on-giants-miscue

"Schwarber doubled on pop-up to pitcher Peavy"

I do not believe this is the same game in which Peavy yelled at our beautiful beef mummy for being a perfect baby boy.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I still don't get baseball scouting.

On the one hand you've got a really talented 18 year old. On the other hand you've got a 23 year old who tore up a tough college league. I get the 18 year old probably has a higher ceiling but I do not get why you'd prefer that wide variation of possible outcomes over a guy who is probably ML ready right now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

I still don't get baseball scouting.

On the one hand you've got a really talented 18 year old. On the other hand you've got a 23 year old who tore up a tough college league. I get the 18 year old probably has a higher ceiling but I do not get why you'd prefer that wide variation of possible outcomes over a guy who is probably ML ready right now.

The dude in college isn't MLB ready right now

Poque posted:

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/21753540/v415093683/chcsf-schwarber-reaches-second-on-giants-miscue

"Schwarber doubled on pop-up to pitcher Peavy"

I do not believe this is the same game in which Peavy yelled at our beautiful beef mummy for being a perfect baby boy.

Reason #5034 errors are stupid

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
What do people who are more informed than me think of the Jays draft picks? I've never been into prospect stats much

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mariners grabbed Sam Carlson out of the 2nd round, who was considered one of the top prep arms in the country. A lot of people expected him to go in the top 15 but he fell out due to concerns of him committing to Florida. He said he's ready to sign and will report to training camp next week. drat that's a good pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Other concerns I read are quality of competition, since Minnesota isn't exactly a hotbed of high school talent.

I hope he does well though, I've held a soft spot for the Mariners since the Griffey days.

• Locked thread