Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dont even fink about it posted:

I was pretty done with Havok when they became a Megadeth tribute band.

speaking of if you listen to the last megadeth album and pretend all the songs are about trump instead of obama it becomes eerily prophetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

this is a great start to a Wednesday.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

speaking of if you listen to the last megadeth album and pretend all the songs are about trump instead of obama it becomes eerily prophetic

I'm wondering if Mustaine is going to hold on to the political themes of Dystopia, or just drop them because he has no guts now that there is a republican in the White House. I don't imagine he likes Trump, only because he didn't get his real choice, Santorum (welcome home).

On the other hand, I wonder if I should still care about the big four of thrash in 2017.

I did like For All Kings, don't @ me

Also yeah, the lyrics for the new Havok were definitely a thing, especially F.P.C. Funny how they went in on trying to be the next Megadeth, only to get kicked off the tour by Dave's son. Maybe we all need to just remember to disregard the lyrics in metal and listen to some brutal slam metal where the singer sounds like they're trying to drink the last bit of a milkshake.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dave wrote political things with a Bush White House too. Thrash metal politics pretty much all circle back to "the government is bad" no matter the writer's actual views.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Udo from Accept coming to town in March 2018, gently caress YES.

I only just got into Accept but I love his loving voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-7FUkmZcoc

LISTEN TO THAT SCREAM

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Vintersorg posted:

Udo from Accept coming to town in March 2018, gently caress YES.

I only just got into Accept but I love his loving voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-7FUkmZcoc

LISTEN TO THAT SCREAM

This was my first intro to Accept from way back when (1983!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3TlrZLpQ0

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
y'all old.

I saw Accept as a last-minute replacement for Motórhead (Lemmy out with dehydration!) in 2005, and I gotta say, Udo <3

Dude was already between 80 and declared dead, but he killed it on stage.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I saw Iron Maiden and Ghost last night, got in line only a couple hours before doors opened for gen admission and got like 15ft from the stage again just like I saw Maiden last time 5 years ago... they're still the best show on earth. Ghost was cool too, I am a fan and I thought they were good despite the vocals being a bit low. Finally got to see a live keytar, so that was something.

Maiden played a bunch of stuff off their newest album which I had only listened to maybe twice so I wasn't very familiar, but they were cool to watch. They did a pretty good job mixing in classics for a good flow of energy from the newer more proggy instrumental stuff to making the place go crazy.. (setlist spoiler:) old stuff they played - Wrathchild, Children of the Damned, Blood Brothers, The Trooper, Fear of the Dark, Powerslave, Iron Maiden, The Number of the Beast, Wasted Years.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Nordick posted:

So, in addition to Havukruunu, I've also lately been really digging Mgla's Exercises in Futility. And I was wondering if some kind metal goons could point me towards some more black metal in a similar vein. Meaning relatively straightforward no-nonsense stuff with a bit of atmosphere, possibly some tasty riffs, and decent production instead of some lovely UG kvlt sound.

fake edit: After a bit of digging into Youtube's related videos list, Uada also seems like a pretty good example of what I'm after.

Deus Mortem is pretty great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B51gAmBFTpY

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Here's a cool thing I found on the internet.

If you ever wondered what 80s US style power metal sounds like when filtered through Siberia in 2010 this it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNY-GXkM8eQ

That cover though and that drum sound.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Guess I shouldn't have jumped on the Nokturnal Mortum box for Verity. It's been 5 weeks since release and no box in sight, no response from the label or their Bandcamp. I've read reports of people receiving the box accidentally when they didn't even order it (but had ordered other things from them in the past), and the label trying to get them mail to other people who DID order it because they sold out.

I don't know how you can gently caress up something as simple as this so badly, but they've got another week before my 4-6 weeks of shipping eta is up and I demand a refund.

Am I the only one the ordered it in here? Did anyone else receive it?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pallbearer on their way here in August - unsure of others dates - could be a one off as they are on a bigger tour. But loving excited.

Here being Winnipeg.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Pallbearer on their way here in August - unsure of others dates - could be a one off as they are on a bigger tour. But loving excited.

Here being Winnipeg.

It's part of the whole North American tour

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I must have looked at some old poster a week or two back -- could have been another band -- but I remember not seeing us but MN. All good though. Looks like I am in the Kayo Dot leg... which means one of the guys from maudlin of the Well whom I absolutely adore. Everything.

gently caress, im gonna die.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Varg posted:

I saw Iron Maiden and Ghost last night, got in line only a couple hours before doors opened for gen admission and got like 15ft from the stage again just like I saw Maiden last time 5 years ago... they're still the best show on earth. Ghost was cool too, I am a fan and I thought they were good despite the vocals being a bit low. Finally got to see a live keytar, so that was something.

Maiden played a bunch of stuff off their newest album which I had only listened to maybe twice so I wasn't very familiar, but they were cool to watch. They did a pretty good job mixing in classics for a good flow of energy from the newer more proggy instrumental stuff to making the place go crazy.. (setlist spoiler:) old stuff they played - Wrathchild, Children of the Damned, Blood Brothers, The Trooper, Fear of the Dark, Powerslave, Iron Maiden, The Number of the Beast, Wasted Years.

I'm seeing Maiden for the first time this Sunday, been listening to them for 30 years (Somewhere In Time was my first Iron Maiden album back in '86). Do I really need to get to the venue at 4pm if I wanna get somewhat close to the stage? I was planning on getting there around 5:45 (doors open at 6:30). I don't want to be 15 ft away from the stage, but at least close enough to have a chance at catching a wrist band from Nicko. Needless to say I am super stoked and can't wait.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

New Undergang song posted and it's awesome (of course): http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2017/6/9/track-premiere-undergang-skret-i-smstykker

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Objurium posted:

Hey goons! My band just premiered our debut release via Noisey today. We're a sort of atmo-black / doom thing, I guess? Some of you might dig it maybe.

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/black-metal-doom-and-death-collide-on-skyeaters-debut-the-maw-of-time

I just got around to listening to this and it owns dude

flirty dental hygienist posted:

I'm seeing Maiden for the first time this Sunday, been listening to them for 30 years (Somewhere In Time was my first Iron Maiden album back in '86). Do I really need to get to the venue at 4pm if I wanna get somewhat close to the stage? I was planning on getting there around 5:45 (doors open at 6:30). I don't want to be 15 ft away from the stage, but at least close enough to have a chance at catching a wrist band from Nicko. Needless to say I am super stoked and can't wait.

yea I'd get there a couple hours early at least if you want to make sure you can get in close. I got in line like 3 hours early last time I saw them and was surprised I was so close this time being an hour later. Just bring a sandwich and drink and hang out haha, it's a lot of waiting around but it's worth it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

I must have looked at some old poster a week or two back -- could have been another band -- but I remember not seeing us but MN. All good though. Looks like I am in the Kayo Dot leg... which means one of the guys from maudlin of the Well whom I absolutely adore. Everything.

gently caress, im gonna die.

They're also selling motW merch still. I was stoked to get my hands on a shirt.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yo this is super good, god bless

https://youtu.be/WL7euP0IBTE

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Good soup! posted:

Speaking of CKY, I was surprised they had put out a new song this month and have a new album coming too. I thought this part of an interview with Ginsburg to be weird though:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the gently caress out of IDR, but An Answer Can Be Found and Carver City have got some great tracks on them IMO (particularly the latter). I hope they don't simply ape the IDR sound too much simply because they can.

And I'm not sure how I feel about the new vocals. Everything else sounds like CKY (which isnt bad) but ehhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Hc-9w2vqE

late to the party on this, but when I first heard this song I didn't like it. but now it's grown on me and the song is actually baller as gently caress. what is NOT baller is the fade out in the middle of the dueling solos at the end....who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

in any case, Jess Margera is a phenomenal drummer and really evokes that classic KISS feel in this tune. there's something about that constant ride cymbal action that hits me right in the chest. also, CIG is definitely no deron when it comes to vocals, but I actually like the texture of his voice and it fits the music well

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Posting from 2112 in Gothenburg where you can get a Hell Awaits burger with a Warpig beer while you listen to Quiet Riot. It's owned by a guy who was in Trivium and Dark Tranquility but I don't know either one :shrug: 10/10 would eat these delicious burgers again

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
2112 is owned by Peter and Bjorn from In Flames. Looks awesome!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Snowy posted:

Posting from 2112 in Gothenburg where you can get a Hell Awaits burger with a Warpig beer while you listen to Quiet Riot. It's owned by a guy who was in Trivium and Dark Tranquility but I don't know either one :shrug: 10/10 would eat these delicious burgers again

How do you not know either of those bands.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
And how would In Flames not be notable part of his resume compared to Trivium and Dark Tranquility?

HelmutVonSchmeller
Nov 23, 2007
Oooh, it's a jellyfish!

Wyzt posted:

Insect Warfare - One of hte other bands I went for, insane show. Rahi is the greatest front man ever, no one tops his between song banter in either this or War Master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkT7TCF8hfQ

This isn't just stage banter, either. This is just how Rahi behaves in general. Dude is a trip.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

hopterque posted:

that bass on the top left even has the jester race logo on the body

HelmutVonSchmeller
Nov 23, 2007
Oooh, it's a jellyfish!

hopterque posted:

Spanish Manlove posted:

And how would In Flames not be notable part of his resume compared to Trivium and Dark Tranquility?

In his defense, these are all terrible, terrible bands.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah my life would be a lot better if I was ignorant of Trivium as well.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

hopterque posted:

I know I've heard them but they never did much for me. I like the old Stockholm sound more I guess.

Spanish Manlove posted:

They should have a better bio on the menu I guess :shrug: but that explains all the In Flames memorabilia.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah my life would be a lot better if I was ignorant of Trivium as well.

boat rudder
strange mountain

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah so when is this out on a format other than vinyl? this is really good.

Same, I'd love to get an digital download of it. Hell, I'd even buy the LP but that article actually pointed me where to get it...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

muike posted:

boat rudder
strange mountain

Stomp
Ukraine

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

MY DUDE

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lmao and just like that I am 15 again

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
This
LIIIIIIME

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Dust Bolt / Power Trip / Obituary / Exodus tour announced, gently caress yeah

Thu/Sep-14 Durham, NC Motorco Music Hall
Fri/Sep-15 Virginia Beach, VA Shaka's Live
Sat/Sep-16 Baltimore, MD Baltimore Soundstage
Sun/Sep-17 Sayreville, NJ Starland Ballroom
Tue/Sep-19 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall of Williamsburg
Wed/Sep-20 Worcester, MA The Palladium
Thu/Sep-21 Burlington, VT Higher Ground
Fri/Sep-22 Quebec City, QC Imperial Bell
Sat/Sep-23 Ottawa, ON Bronson Centre
Sun/Sep-24 London, ON London Music Hall
Tue/Sep-26 Grand Rapids, MI Intersection
Wed/Sep-27 Columbus, OH Park Street Saloon
Thu/Sep-28 Indianapolis, IN Deluxe
Fri/Sep-29 Joliet, IL The Forge
Sat/Sep-30 Minneapolis, MN Skyway Theater
Sun/Oct-01 St. Louis, MO Ready Room
Tue/Oct-03 Lawrence, KS Granada Theatre
Wed/Oct-04 Ft. Collins, CO Aggie Theatre
Sat/Oct-07 Los Angeles, CA Teragram Ballroom
Tue/Oct-10 Tucson, AZ The Rock
Wed/Oct-11 Albuquerque, NM Sunshine Theatre
Thu/Oct-12 El Paso, TX Tricky Falls
Sat/Oct-14 San Antonio, TX Paper Tiger

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ugh, Joliet? Well at least I caught Obituary and Power Trip already this year.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
now that harpos is cleaned up and the new owner isnt a heroin junkie bands need to stop going to grand rapids instead of detroit.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there somewhere I can find lots of salacious Harris stories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
The new Vintersorg sounds like it's going to be loving sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPgqO1oCz1Q

also lol that Swedish language lyric videos are even a thing

Defiant Sally fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 13, 2017