Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Erd posted:

If you rescue Nick before you get to diamond city, it starts open. Won't fix your Piper problem but will get you inside.

Does anyone use molotovs in horizon? They feel completely useless with no initial damage and slow damage over time. And burning enemies act like any other meaning you can't just wait for them to burn to death without them flanking you, so you end up shooting them anyway.

is there not a panic effect that can be added to stuff? let me have a look in f4edit.
yeah, frenzy. I imagine something making them run around afrit would be better.

staberind fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, it seems it was connected to a different follower mod. After going through everything a piece at a time, it seems it was either the Mechanist companion mod or the Fahrenheit companion mod. Or maybe both together, I dunno. Not sure why but turning them off and nothing else got Piper to talk again.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Erd posted:

Does anyone use molotovs in horizon? They feel completely useless with no initial damage and slow damage over time. And burning enemies act like any other meaning you can't just wait for them to burn to death without them flanking you, so you end up shooting them anyway.
Rad Scorpions, Yao Gui, Molerats, etc. They all take a bunch of damage from fire. It is still slow, but it's pretty reasonable with stuff like Rad Scorpions that have tougher hitzones and will spent time burrowed - the fire will still tick away. Anything else and you can jump on a car or something while they slowly cook. Basically anything organic and melee is a good target for molotovs.

marshmallow creep posted:

So is the Unofficial patch back to "won't gently caress you up" status? I had to do a fresh install and was wondering if I should use the latest or a particular older release.
Yeah, it's fine. The issues with traps and the Far Harbor crashes were hot fixed not too long after they were identified.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Erd posted:

If you rescue Nick before you get to diamond city, it starts open. Won't fix your Piper problem but will get you inside.

My go to gun is a 38 smg with a bleed effect, so that plus fire grenades meant a lot of time moving around during fights while waiting for damage over time attacks to do their work. A brand new recon scope helps me keep tabs on everything during an encounter, plus setting caltrops everywhere in advance or while relocating. Those take aluminum but it doesn't seem as scarce as it was in vanilla.

Even though I'd rather make the baseball grenades if I've got the parts, they're very useful during ghoul ambushes and the on-contact is helpful in several circumstances.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Even though I'd rather make the baseball grenades if I've got the parts, they're very useful during ghoul ambushes and the on-contact is helpful in several circumstances.
Wait, Baseball grenades are on-contact?

This changes everything.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I'm just not writing clearly while phoneposting, the molotovs are. Baseballs aren't. Although that would be an awesome change.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

Chronojam posted:

I'm just not writing clearly while phoneposting, the molotovs are. Baseballs aren't. Although that would be an awesome change.

Ahem.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Kiggles posted:

-MOST of the resources are ADHESIVE limited. Making things rare is one thing, but it can be a bit obnoxious when ONE resource becomes the bottleneck for virtually everything. It is an easy way to balance broadly, so as a mod, I can deal.
Wasteland Imports has some nice items from the old games, but I've been debating removing it for a long time because there are some overpowered items that throw things out of balance, ie: a recipe for "vegetable starch" that is way too easy to make and produces something like 3x adhesive. Now I might just leave it in the load order :v:. Thanks for the thorough responses everyone, I'll be starting my big modded playthrough with Horizon and as much of a Sim Settlements integration as I can get.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a more up to date version of Mod Organizer 2 than the one from last summer because I'm real sick of using NMM which is a piece of poo poo.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

cheesetriangles posted:

Is there a more up to date version of Mod Organizer 2 than the one from last summer because I'm real sick of using NMM which is a piece of poo poo.

What's wrong with the old MO version?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any mods like the old goon made armoury for New Vegas? Like ones that are big compilations of real-world weapon mods that also balances them so you get consistent levels of damage from similar weapons rather than being all over the map because each individual mod author had their own idea of what weapon balance is?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

turn off the TV posted:

What's wrong with the old MO version?

I'm using 2.0.7, and while most things work, any time I use LOOT all the dlc files get disabled and moved to the bottom of the order, and it will pull some mod created files from the overwrite folder but not others.

Edit: Also on that mesh scaling I was asking about, BSSubIndexTriShape is the only thing it has with a scale option, but I can't apply the changes to it. I did cut down another mesh in order to make a standalone jacket so maybe that has something to do with it.

For illustration:

From what I understand there should be an option now in the right click menu to apply the transformation, locking it to the 1.1 scale then setting the new size to be 1.0, but I'm not getting that.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 11, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Davoren posted:

I'm using 2.0.7, and while most things work, any time I use LOOT all the dlc files get disabled and moved to the bottom of the order, and it will pull some mod created files from the overwrite folder but not others.

Edit: Also on that mesh scaling I was asking about, BSSubIndexTriShape is the only thing it has with a scale option, but I can't apply the changes to it. I did cut down another mesh in order to make a standalone jacket so maybe that has something to do with it.

For illustration:

From what I understand there should be an option now in the right click menu to apply the transformation, locking it to the 1.1 scale then setting the new size to be 1.0, but I'm not getting that.

It changes the size of the mesh in game.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I know, but it's not happening for me.

I just want to enlarge this slightly as a quick way to take care of that clipping, but this image has the scale set to 3, with no change from if it were scale 1.

Everything I'm reading says the changes aren't actually enforced until you tell the program to apply them, but where everyone says the apply option should be I have nothing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kiggles posted:

Wait, Baseball grenades are on-contact?

This changes everything.

BEANO grenade

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That'll do.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Sintax posted:

Wasteland Imports has some nice items from the old games, but I've been debating removing it for a long time because there are some overpowered items that throw things out of balance, ie: a recipe for "vegetable starch" that is way too easy to make and produces something like 3x adhesive. Now I might just leave it in the load order :v:. Thanks for the thorough responses everyone, I'll be starting my big modded playthrough with Horizon and as much of a Sim Settlements integration as I can get.

Isn't vegetable starch in the base game?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Vegetable starch is base game, yes. Does wasteland imports add a new recipe, maybe? The original requires like 12 vegetables from tatos to corn.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vegetable Starch is kinda hidden away and seems like it was modded on because there's nothing else really like it. I feel like it was probably added at the last minute after playtesters kept complaining about adhesives.

Is there a mod to fix robots killing your settlement happiness with their permanent 50%?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 11, 2017

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
Regarding Horizon and adhesives, I think once you put like three levels in Hunter you start getting adhesive drops off animals, like Deathclaw tendons and other sticky bits. I assume Technologist does the same the deeper you invest in it. Really helps to throw in some points from your first VANS milestone if you're having problems with adhesive supply.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Davoren posted:

For illustration:

Just lock the dlc in MO, they'll keep their load order position so you just have to retick them. Not ideal but better than the alternative.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Oh cool thanks, for some reason I just assumed that meant to lock the entire load order?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Okay, so you've probably already seen this if you're following E3 news, but Bethesda just announced the "Creation Club" for Fallout 4 and Skyrim. It's sort of a halfway point between DLC and paid mods. You can get small one-off packs that might have a new weapon or some new settlement decorations, but it comes straight from the Fallout 4 team or outside developers stated to be working closely with the F4 team. Also you buy it with freemium gems for some reason??????

The announcement trailer I saw featured Prototype Gauss Rifle, Modern Furniture Set, Horse Armor (for PA, might be Skyrim inspired), and Modular Backpacks.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
and so horse armor comes full circle

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HitTheTargets posted:

Okay, so you've probably already seen this if you're following E3 news, but Bethesda just announced the "Creation Club" for Fallout 4 and Skyrim. It's sort of a halfway point between DLC and paid mods. You can get small one-off packs that might have a new weapon or some new settlement decorations, but it comes straight from the Fallout 4 team or outside developers stated to be working closely with the F4 team. Also you buy it with freemium gems for some reason??????

The announcement trailer I saw featured Prototype Gauss Rifle, Modern Furniture Set, Horse Armor (for PA, might be Skyrim inspired), and Modular Backpacks.

That sounds like the announcement trailer featured "stuff there are already mods for except for the horse armor joke."

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
Anyone have CTD issues with Armorsmith Extended? Whenever I try to use an armor workbench, it immediately CTD's. I've narrowed it down to Armorsmith Extended, and as far as I can tell it isn't caused by a conflict - it crashes even with only AWKCR, Armorsmith, and the Armorsmith DLC patch. Tried reinstalling the mod too.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's funny, I can already see the Stealth Armor screenshots that Bethesda have made/contracted, and they're significantly worse-looking than the modded one that has been out for a while.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Oxhorn did a good video about the whole situation. Lot's of knee jerk reactions going on. They explicitly state that they are not stopping people from modding and that they are not going to allow any exisitng mods to be repackaged onto the Creator Club. If you want to make something for it you have to pitch it to Bethesda and they will start paying you to create it from the point of the pitch being accepted. It is actually kind of cool because content creators will be paid all the way through the process, not just when they release.
It is also going to have localisation and q&a, with a guarantee of compatibility with existing mods and other Creator Club content if at all possible. If there is going to be any more story content for the game it will be through here as well.

Think about it this way. If Bethesda want to release another dlc addon for the game, they need to sell it through steam, xboxlive marketplace and the ps store. If they use this in game system, then they don't need to give a cut to three 3rd parties to do it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, it sounds more like a way for Bethesda to distribute development of pay-for-hats content, given how much resources they would otherwise have to invest into curating the mods.

Else, it could be a legit option for somewhat uncertain developers to make use of Bethesda games as a platform of sorts.

This is looking WAY better than the previous incarnation of paid mods. I also don't expect a huge wealth of content to end up on the Creator's Club by virtue of how much resources Bethesda will have to dedicate to them, so sure, it'll be Bethesda Q&A, but it's still a far cry from the cluster gently caress from before.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If you look at Paradox's attempts at monetizing Cities Skylines and Hearts of Iron mods then it's pretty clear that paid hat packs and other simple content is just not going to be able to compete with the mod scene, so I imagine that Bethesda will find out pretty quickly that this platform will be best used for helping more complicated and more time consuming content that isn't really feasible for most modders at the moment. Things like Autumn Leaves, Project Brazil and The Frontier.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

This is me really hoping Bethesda laughs in the faces of most of the mod creators I dealt with a few months back in the Nexus mod author forums who were hoping for paid mods to come back. I'm a petty, petty person, but I really do think those folks could stand a cold dose of reality. At least it sounds like Beth is going to require some sort of standards from the authors they take on, which I'm going to assume will include a level of customer relations that the people I'm thinking of reacted like scalded cats to the very idea of providing.

And by that I mean 'don't act like spoiled two year olds if someone finds a bug in your mod or offers the mildest of constructive criticisms or features your mod in a Youtube video where you don't get their ad revenue'.

Now I'm actually curious if the mod author forums are crowing or burning down. Maybe both?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I think monetising these smaller types of content creation/development jobs is going to be big in the future, they just need to find the right way to do it. There's plenty of talented people who like doing this stuff who can't get an official salaried game development job, and using the internet to contract content is a big untapped market. Bethesda knows this, but they don't seem to hire very smart people so who knows if they will do it right. Hopefully it brings about MORE content instead of the same content with a cost.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

aniviron posted:

It's funny, I can already see the Stealth Armor screenshots that Bethesda have made/contracted, and they're significantly worse-looking than the modded one that has been out for a while.

You mean the modded stealth armour that was "borrowed" from Operation Anchorage to begin with? :yum:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm just hoping the Paid Content Creators nag them into putting the SKSE functions into the base exe.

And maybe even get them to add a mod options area in the menu. Maybe, just maybe, even let loving levelled lists auto-merge. Nah, that's a step too far.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 13, 2017

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Jan posted:

You mean the modded stealth armour that was "borrowed" from Operation Anchorage to begin with? :yum:

they made it from scratch though.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Diabetes Forecast posted:

they made it from scratch though.

Also not his, apparently.

https://twitter.com/DogtoothCG/status/874121341632368641

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I'm just hoping the Paid Content Creators nag them into putting the SKSE functions into the base exe.

And maybe even get them to add a mod options area in the menu. Maybe, just maybe, even let loving levelled lists auto-merge. Nah, that's a step too far.

Or support non-16:9 resolutions natively, or not run like poo poo, or just basically work on making the game... function instead of throwing up their hands and saying "MODS WILL FIX IT".

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

Or support non-16:9 resolutions natively, or not run like poo poo, or just basically work on making the game... function instead of throwing up their hands and saying "MODS WILL FIX IT".

This right here.

I've got an old-ish video card (nVidia GTX 750) and I've long since resigned myself to playing Fallout 4 at a lower-than-native resolution and low graphics settings. Pretty much everything set to low or turned off, and the game ran pretty smoothly at around 50 FPS (or lower, depending on activity in the game). Looked like poo poo, but it wasn't the laggy sideshow I got right out of the box.

Today I on a whim I decided to look up what settings other people use with my same card, and found a handful of posts on other forums that can be summed up as follows: Play at the highest res (1920x1080 in my case) you can, crank up everything to ultra, turn off ambient/rainfall occlusion and godrays, and set shadows to medium. Somehow I'm getting between 40 and 45 fps, the game looks better than I've ever seen it, and with a pretty small performance hit.

The game being rife with badly programmed and horribly optimized bits doesn't particularly surprise me at this point, especially since I've been following turn off the tv's posts in this thread, but such a small performance hit for a ridiculous jump in quality just baffles me :psyduck:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

If you look at Paradox's attempts at monetizing Cities Skylines and Hearts of Iron mods then it's pretty clear that paid hat packs and other simple content is just not going to be able to compete with the mod scene, so I imagine that Bethesda will find out pretty quickly that this platform will be best used for helping more complicated and more time consuming content that isn't really feasible for most modders at the moment. Things like Autumn Leaves, Project Brazil and The Frontier.

Counterpoint: Valve has done the same thing with TF2, CSGO, and DOTA, and they have effectively killed off the mod communities for those games. Sure, they still exist to some degree, but they're miniscule compared to the games from the last two generations, and there are no more big mods, not many maps, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

aniviron posted:

Counterpoint: Valve has done the same thing with TF2, CSGO, and DOTA, and they have effectively killed off the mod communities for those games. Sure, they still exist to some degree, but they're miniscule compared to the games from the last two generations, and there are no more big mods, not many maps, etc.

Mods for singleplayer games and mods for competitive games are two very different things. How would unofficial mods for DOTA even work, for ex?