Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Why not just have the ISPs provide transcripts of all communication. It is at least as dumb as what Trampballs is proposing and as likely to work in the actual world of IT. For example: Apple can't decrypt users imessages so it doesn't matter how much you hold your breath and go blue asking them to do it for you they actually can not. I suppose it's the thought that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Do they like being in opposition or something?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zenithe posted:

Labor did better in the 2016 election than expected and their polling has only improved since then. From their perspective there is no reason to change tacks.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Labor did better in the 2016 election than expected and their polling has only improved since then. From their perspective there is no reason to change tacks.

Passively watching the LNP implode is working for them, yes.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Zenithe posted:

They're pretty loving poo poo at it, but I guess so

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They shouldn't have been able to lose that election. Unless you're going to swallow the thick ropey narrative peddled by the Australian media, they were the shittest performing govt in 50 years, and Even Crean/Beasley would have steamrolled them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian Politics live blog posted:

Pauline Hanson is arguing the case to introduce a debt ceiling on how much the Australian government could borrow.

:lol:

:suicide:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Compulsory voting. Corbyn irrelevant.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

https://twitter.com/abcsydney/status/874508482489196544

:shepspends:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

JBP posted:

Compulsory voting. Corbyn irrelevant.

I mean he's not irrelevant, because good policy is good policy, there's just no reason for the ALP to want good policy at the moment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean he's not irrelevant, because good policy is good policy, there's just no reason for the ALP to want good policy at the moment.

They will always govern Australians so I can't ever see good policy being on the agenda.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Channel 9 Perth doubling down on Poor Punching today:

It's a good job Perth people are socially conscious and know better than to buy this tired bullshit - but wait better check the comments,

Well holy poo poo, they actually were.

Hot drat.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Help I'm feeling something positive towards my state.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Meanwhile in Queensland...

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

that's just the meth kicking in

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

I kept scrolling and it kept going too!

The general theme being "Look, I live here, there's gently caress all work here, and the public transport is useless, what the gently caress do you expect to happen? Stop punching the poor and focus on graft and corruption"

Now if only we could get them to vote for the party that doesn't hold job seekers down while the media punch them in the groin.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anidav posted:

The comments for Seven News Brisbane for this article are about the same. See? Even QLD knows this article is BS.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Maybe there's hope after all.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

Maybe there's hope after all.

There were some people blaming Muslims though, but come on, this is are state.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Zenithe posted:

The comments for Seven News Brisbane for this article are about the same. See? Even QLD knows this article is BS.

Ch9 has zero comments.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Channel 9 Perth doubling down on Poor Punching today:

It's a good job Perth people are socially conscious and know better than to buy this tired bullshit - but wait better check the comments,

Well holy poo poo, they actually were.

Hot drat.

Yeah a lot of people struggling in WA, the worm is turning.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Yeah a lot of people struggling in WA, the worm is turning.

With housing costs what they are in Melbourne and Sydney, and losses in manufacturing and reduced investment in resources, I doubt there's anywhere in Aus that's doing particularly well.

But you know, firefighters or something.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Yeah this is UKPol but AusPol is garbage fires being thrown on top of garbage fires so have a little something to get excited about. Sinn Fein looking like taking their seats for the first time just to wreck Tory poo poo [Sun].

https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/870088738650505216

https://twitter.com/machiavellino/status/873021593043206144

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

We hate our environment!

*Bulldozes down the Daintree and blows up the Great Barrier Reef*

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Bogan King posted:

Yeah this is UKPol but AusPol is garbage fires being thrown on top of garbage fires so have a little something to get excited about. Sinn Fein looking like taking their seats for the first time just to wreck Tory poo poo [Sun].

Not going to happen, Sun's making poo poo up.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

So when Labor was helping pass the metadata legislation everyone told them it was useless at combating terrorism since anyone can use Facebook chat. 2 years later they realise this and push for facebook to help decrypt their own poo poo. It isn't going to be a backdoor though, they actually think they can straight up decrypt it like it's a loving enigma machine or something :psyduck:

I'm looking forward to Labor supporting the LNP's new policy of stopping global warming by shrinking the sun.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not going to happen, Sun's making poo poo up.

Counterpoint: Maybe dreams really can come true.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Sparticle posted:

I'm looking forward to Labor supporting the LNP's new policy of stopping global warming by shrinking the sun.

:rolleyes: No, you loving idiot. You child. See, this is why people can't take you Global Warmists seriously. You have to strawman your opponents positions so much just to try and prove us wrong.

If we want to fight the completely natural warming of the Earth we just have to correct Jupiter's spin.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
stuff gets decrypted on law and order all the time, they just gotta get some computer nerd to hack it. totally a realistic and not impossible piece of legislation.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Counterpoint: if is not going to lead to any actual actions, do we really care? If it keeps them busy until 2018 when we can piss the libs off and start focusing on finding a way to get Shorten rolled or something productive, all the better.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Australia's next generation stealth fighter jets have been beset with yet more problems, with the US Air Force grounding a fleet of F-35s after the aircraft started starving their pilots of oxygen.

The US has ordered an indefinite flight ban at the Luke Air Force Base in Arizona - where Australians are among those training to fly the planes - while it investigates the cause of the potentially fatal problem.

The F35 jet program has had its share of troubles. Overpriced, too slow, too visible on radar, billions over budget and years behind schedule, critics are worried we are falling behind our adversaries.
There have been five such hypoxia, or oxygen deprivation, incidents since early May. The ban is expected to last at least a week.

A US Air Force spokesperson said the incidents were not considered serious and pilots used their training to land safely. Backup oxygen systems kicked in as designed when the problems emerged.

"In order to synchronise operations and maintenance efforts toward safe flying operations we have cancelled local F-35A flying," said Brigadier General Brook Leonard, commander of the base's 56th Fighter Wing.

"The Air Force takes these physiological incidents seriously, and our focus is on the safety and well-being of our pilots. We are taking the necessary steps to find the root cause of these incidents."

A team of pilots, maintainers, medical professionals, and military and industry experts will investigate the issue.

Comment was sought from Defence Minister Marise Payne.

Proponents of the Lockheed Martin-built planes tout their radar-dodging stealth technology, supersonic speeds, close air-support capabilities, agility and massive array of sensors that give pilots unparalleled information.

But this is another setback for the program, which has faced repeated delays, cost overruns and problems, including an engine fire in 2014 that led commanders to ground planes until the problem could be resolved. Other issues have included software bugs, technical glitches and even a faulty ejection system.

The aircraft made its debut at a showcase in Australia earlier this year, 15 years after the Howard government first announced Australia would participate in the weapons program.

The RAAF's first eight planes are expected to be delivered to Australia in 2018 and enter service in 2020. The remainder are expected to be delivered by 2023 and stay in service until 2070.

Under the original plan, the first planes were supposed to be in operation in 2012.

The government stands by the JSF purchase and says 2500 Australians are working on the F-35 now and this will grow to 5000 by 2023.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/PhillipCoorey/status/874555008020119552

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

:ese:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i don't like labor but god i loving hate the tories

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

2/3rd of the Coalition MPs are against the Finkel report. Cool.

Idiots thinking that coal fired power stations are a cheap solution.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"Clean coal"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Australia's next generation stealth fighter jets have been beset with yet more problems, with the US Air Force grounding a fleet of F-35s after the aircraft started starving their pilots of oxygen.

Not at all surprised seeing as they used the same oxygen generator as the F-22 which had exactly the same issues and pilots already complained about this as far back as 2012: https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/dotmil/2012/05/24/f-22s-oxygen-issues-raise-questions-about-f-35. The whole F-35 program is a train wreck and Australia seriously needs to cut its (significant) losses and pull out.

In other news, was catching up on my e-mails after being overseas and I got one from AWS advising that they're going to be charging me GST as of July 1st due to the updated legislation:

Didn't Amazon along with other big butt companies expressly oppose these GST changes? Obviously they've just said gently caress it and given in. Also as predicted I as an individual am getting owned with more tax because lol those corp cuts gotta be subsidised somehow right?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Bogan King posted:

Counterpoint: Maybe dreams really can come true.

Counterpoint: The Sun is a piece of propagandic trash that makes the Australian look good.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Bogan King posted:

Nah, they're going to collect entitlements and claim office space. They haven't budged on taking their seats.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Every time Labor finds a new way to disappoint me, the coalition is right there to drive me straight back into thinking they aren't so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

A literal idea from Rob Stitch's 2005 show, The Hollowmen

• Locked thread