Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/874482989387960321

MAD DOG doesn't like FnF huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

He doesn't want to be used as a political tool. I think it's pretty obvious that he doesn't like Trump very much, and wants to do the bare minimum to keep his department functioning while everything else turns to poo poo.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

https://twitter.com/JohnWDean/status/874480915774226432

Thunderdome USA. :ohdear:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Regardless of political affiliation this man is a true patriot.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Good for him. Mattis seems like the only decent person in that entire Cabinet.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
That the most decent person in his cabinet is an actual war criminal is loving insane.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Watching Mattis that that cabinet meeting where everyone was praising trump was also pretty hilarious. Mattis looks like he wants to get out of his chair to get away from Trump and he doesn't compliment the president like everyone else.

All he has to do to 'win' this administration is not say some dumb poo poo and resign if forced.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

"Retired Gen. James Mattis earned the nickname “Mad Dog” for leading U.S. Marines into battle in Fallujah, Iraq, in April 2004. In that assault, members of the Marine Corps, under Mattis’ command, shot at ambulances and aid workers. They cordoned off the city, preventing civilians from escaping. They posed for trophy photos with the people they killed.

In the years since, Mattis – called a “warrior monk” by his supporters – repeatedly has protected American service members who killed civilians, using his status as a division commander to wipe away criminal charges against Marines accused of massacring 24 Iraqi civilians in Haditha in 2005 and granting clemency to some of those convicted in connection with the 2006 murder of a 52-year-old disabled Iraqi, who was taken outside his home and shot in the face four times."

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What's the betting on when Trump will fire Muller, and how many levels of the Justice Department will he need go down to find someone to do it?

My non-money is next Tuesday, and Sessions will do the dirty work.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Comstar posted:

What's the betting on when Trump will fire Muller, and how many levels of the Justice Department will he need go down to find someone to do it?

My non-money is next Tuesday, and Sessions will do the dirty work.

If its being talked about now. Last time something similar happened it was before the end of the week.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Thursday night I'll guess. Friday's aren't good days for excitement.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

It actually may be why Trump is rumored to be angry at Sessions. Sessions won't just fire Mueller.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

It actually may be why Trump is rumored to be angry at Sessions. Sessions won't just fire Mueller.

Trump got mad when Sessions recused himself from the Russia investigation a few months back.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

If he fires both of them it will be a 1:1 repeat of the Saturday Night Massacre.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

If he fires both of them it will be a 1:1 repeat of the Saturday Night Massacre.

That sound you here is everyone in the thread popping a huge boner.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

glowing-fish posted:

The text of the amendment makes no mention of the CAUSE of the inability, just that the inability is there. The law doesn't give the power to diagnose that inability to a doctor, or make a medical cause necessary. It says that if over half of the cabinet and two-thirds of both houses of congress say that there is an inability, then there is.

If the President refused to leave his bed for weeks at a time, it wouldn't matter if he had severe pneumonia, early stage Alzheimer's, or was just in a bad mood. It isn't the cause, it is the manifestation that the amendment addresses.

Your statement about it being "inappropriate" seems to be based on the belief that the amendment was designed for medical disability. Where do you have evidence for that?

I excessively enjoy bringing this up, but by the wording of the 25th Pence doesn't technically need a legislative supermajority, he just needs a Cabinet majority to support him repeatedly transmitting a declaration of Trump's incapacity every time Congress clears Trump. :v:

It's not even a constitutional crisis, the Constitution is quite clear.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

pillsburysoldier posted:

MAD DOG doesn't like FnF huh?

He should have been the one to "interview" Alex Jones.
I don't think Mattis wants to repeat the disaster of 2003 when military officials were ordered to appear on the news to promote the war.

Rotacixe fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 13, 2017

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Ice Phisherman posted:

Firing Mueller isn't up to Sessions, it's up to Rosenstein.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if Sessions is trying to explain that, and Trump is getting angrier that he's not doing it? :3:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

I Am Not Spor posted:

I don't think *Trump* knows that. From his point of view the Boss tells the sub-boss who to fire, you don't ask the sub-sub-boss to do it.

Be that as it may, we're hearing accusations against Muller now. We'd hear about problems with Rosenstein if Trump was having problems telling him to do it. Have we heard anything on FoxNews about Rosenstein lately?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Sinteres posted:

It would probably be worse just because healthcare expenses have continued to climb dramatically, even though that's not Obamacare's fault. It's capitalism's fault. I'm generally pro capitalism (with a robust welfare state), but it clearly has no answers to healthcare.

Why are you pro capitalism if it is incapable of keeping people alive?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Life is cheap

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Ah you too are under the mistaken impression that people need medical care to not die.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Ah you too are under the mistaken impression that people need medical care to not die.

User name checks out.

Snark aside: there are 3mil people in this country with type 1 diabetes. If 1/10 of them lose access to healthcare that's 300k bodies reeking of acetone.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 13, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Capitalism can be made compatible with some things that aren't capitalism and can solve the problems that capitalism can't. We just need willingness to taint capitalism and reduce it to a small part of a hybrid.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Reality is truly strange when Charlie Sheen was the voice of reason about Trump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp6BIDCZRic&t=69s

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

User name checks out.

Snark aside: there are 3mil people in this country with type 1 diabetes. If 1/10 of them lose access to healthcare that's 300k bodies reeking of acetone.

Oh, but that's just 'some' dead people, no worries!

Hey, remember how we had that derail a while back about mental healthcare? Guess what's often the first thing to get cut when healthcare budgets tighten? So on top of all of the people who will directly die from sudden loss of healthcare access, you will also have all the people who have mental healthcare needs who can no longer afford treatment (which is, of course, loving expensive, like everything else), be that counselling or medication, suddenly going without. And lemme tell you, it's super awesome fun times when you can't afford the medication that keeps you from wanting to drown yourself in a ditch, especially when you're going through withdrawal too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

kartikeya posted:

Oh, but that's just 'some' dead people, no worries!

Hey, remember how we had that derail a while back about mental healthcare? Guess what's often the first thing to get cut when healthcare budgets tighten? So on top of all of the people who will directly die from sudden loss of healthcare access, you will also have all the people who have mental healthcare needs who can no longer afford treatment (which is, of course, loving expensive, like everything else), be that counselling or medication, suddenly going without. And lemme tell you, it's super awesome fun times when you can't afford the medication that keeps you from wanting to drown yourself in a ditch, especially when you're going through withdrawal too.

Continuing on with my example of type 1: the insulin alone runs 400-500/mo. That's a loving car payment on an Acura or Lexus or something. For just the insulin so they can actually derive energy from food.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Orange Devil posted:

the problems are bad, but the causes... the causes are very good

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Continuing on with my example of type 1: the insulin alone runs 400-500/mo. That's a loving car payment on an Acura or Lexus or something. For just the insulin so they can actually derive energy from food.
Yes, but have you considered that many black poor people have refrigerators and color TVs, and that millennials often drink lattes and buy organic avocados?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

kartikeya posted:

Oh, but that's just 'some' dead people, no worries!.

Hey I don't think anyone in this thread has argued that the AHCA isn't very very bad. Nobody's argued that it won't kill a lot of people. Nobody's said that we shouldn't worry about the bill. Literally the only two points of contention have been "I'd like to reserve the word genocide for more specific types of atrocities" and "conflating the number of dead with the number of uninsured makes us unserious". After that it's just been people being defensive at each other back and forth. It's past time for everyone to lay off.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 13, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Inferior Third Season posted:

Yes, but have you considered that many black poor people have refrigerators and color TVs, and that millennials often drink lattes and buy organic avocados?

Sorry little Timmy but you can't have insulin today because some millennial went to Starbucks.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I Am Not Spor posted:

gently caress, you're right. I'm dumb.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Word of the day: ALIENILOQUENT – unable to keep to the point during a conversation.
Just learned this, seems like it will be useful for discussing the Big Boy

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Inferior Third Season posted:

And let me tell you about identity politics.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I excessively enjoy bringing this up, but by the wording of the 25th Pence doesn't technically need a legislative supermajority, he just needs a Cabinet majority to support him repeatedly transmitting a declaration of Trump's incapacity every time Congress clears Trump. :v:

It's not even a constitutional crisis, the Constitution is quite clear.

Invoking the 25th is difficult enough, especially since it's designed to work in cases of physical incapacitation or when a president knows they cannot exercise sound judgment and relinquishes authority willfully. Trump will never do that, so instead it would become a ping-pong game between the president and his supporters and the vice president and his. Invoking the 25th on a president who refuses to accept it would be the King loving Kong of constitutional crises...so of course it's going to happen since I think Bannon gave Trump a Clusterfuck Bingo card and that's the last square he needs.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Orange Devil posted:

And let me tell you about identity politics.

Okay, go.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So did congressional Republicans get high on their own supply to the degree that they do today? I can't help but shake the feeling that Trump could just play out the entire Watergate scandal step-for-step and walk away from it completely fine. Things were probably way different in Nixon's day, and I have the feeling today's GOP has drank their own kool-aid to an extent that was unimaginable forty years ago.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Invoking the 25th is difficult enough, especially since it's designed to work in cases of physical incapacitation or when a president knows they cannot exercise sound judgment and relinquishes authority willfully. Trump will never do that, so instead it would become a ping-pong game between the president and his supporters and the vice president and his. Invoking the 25th on a president who refuses to accept it would be the King loving Kong of constitutional crises...so of course it's going to happen since I think Bannon gave Trump a Clusterfuck Bingo card and that's the last square he needs.
At the end of a full first round of the 25th amendment process where Congress doesn't approve by 2/3 majority in both houses, Trump would at least temporarily have his presidential powers back, which would allow him to fire everyone in his cabinet that voted against him, leaving Pence without a majority of cabinet members to start the process again. Unless Congress approves of some other body other than the cabinet to give this power to which is outside of the President's authority to fire (which is unlikely to happen if they're unwilling to go through with a proper impeachment), that would be the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Drone posted:

So did congressional Republicans get high on their own supply to the degree that they do today? I can't help but shake the feeling that Trump could just play out the entire Watergate scandal step-for-step and walk away from it completely fine. Things were probably way different in Nixon's day, and I have the feeling today's GOP has drank their own kool-aid to an extent that was unimaginable forty years ago.

The Tea Party really broke the GOP. Like they were always chop full of poo poo fucks but they hid it well through the dog whistle. Then the tea party came along and forced everyone​ but the most stalwart of GOPers to drop the dog whistle for the fog horn. Else they would face a primary challenge and lose. Before they'd make deals with pork and such to at least function. Now it's 100% bend the knee or face a primary.

Plus a good number of blue dogs from 2006/08 were beat by people who actually believe the crazy. Raul Labrador, my esteemed sack of poo poo, literally ran a campaign based on telling Obama and Nancy pelosi no. That was his whole campaign: obstruction. He's also running for governor of Idaho and hopefully will lose to Brad Little. He's at least somewhat respectable as far as Republicans go.

• Locked thread