Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

It would depend on the statue in question, if it's a generic 'for our boys' statue I don't see any harm, but if it's of a particularly objectionable person it's fine to remove it regardless of historical value.

There are no statues of people who are not particularly objectionable in the South, hope this helps :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

There are no statues of people who are not particularly objectionable in the South, hope this helps :tipshat:

hmm, czechs out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRFlNryaWw

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I LITERALLY CANNOT WAIT FOR SEPTEMBER 2018!!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Otherwise that's really lovely.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Maybe a symbolic statue of a hick that got roped into dying for the Confederacy while the aristocrats sat drinking mint julep tea on their plantations. But I assume that type of statue is outnumbered by Robert E. Lee statues 5,000 to one.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can work with this.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

Make it one of his iconic skyward yelp spaz poses to, make him froth at the mouth proper. Gargle that guano bitch

Base it off of one of the photos of himself he outlawed while we're at it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nigga so ugly he outlawed he own face

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Those statues are bad because they're not specifically monuments to the loss of life or to the fact there was a war, but are specifically statues commemorating how these noble men stood up against the norths vile oppression of "states rights" (to own slaves).

It would be like a bunch of statues of Hitler trampling on infants with a little plaque at the bottom stating "on this day in 1940, hitler finally cleared all the scum out of Warsaw, sieg hiel"

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

PittTheElder posted:

As said, those statues were nothing except an attempt to whitewash history in the first place.

Even that is important, that it's recorded that the whitewashing was done/attempted. Place them in a museum with a plaque reading "Histories greatest cunts" or something. Moving a statue or book elsewhere is okay, destroying them and pretending they never existed is what I don't like.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Well fugg mate :DDD

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

It was my understanding that they were going to museums.

Anyway here's this.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ak Gara posted:

Even that is important, that it's recorded that the whitewashing was done/attempted. Place them in a museum with a plaque reading "Histories greatest cunts" or something. Moving a statue or book elsewhere is okay, destroying them and pretending they never existed is what I don't like.

You're free to go see them at the local landfill where they belong. I mean, you do know that the servers for Robert E Lee's Wikipedia page is not stored in his statues, right? History is not being erased by taking down the things that were meant to scare black people into knowing their place.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Melt 'em down and re-cast them as commemorative toilet bowls, with plaques on 'em so everyone knows what they did.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hyperlynx posted:

Melt 'em down and re-cast them as commemorative toilet bowls, with plaques on 'em so everyone knows what they did.

Those poor janitors that would have to clean the literal shitstorms every night...

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Taking them down like this is a shame. They should be knocked or pulled down like the statue of an Eastern European dictator.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Melt General Bobbie Lee into the grates at the bottom of public urinals.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah this makes it like 8000% as good.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

How frighteningly erotic

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerry Cotton posted:

i am beginning to doubt these meme schedules are all that accurate, as i don't recall seeing anything in the way of celery memes this past month.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Be the change you want to see in the world.

E: that goes for all of you.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

This is the best meme. 2017 finally has a good meme.
And it wasn't even on the schedule!

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
while looking for celery memes, these simpson remixes were brought to my attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mpUlwZJfrg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhTcdB3mHVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVxqYw-dNwM

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mR7_VicLbE

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

soylon posted:

It was my understanding that they were going to museums.

Anyway here's this.

Karl looks reMARXably well preserved :q:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
https://zippy.gfycat.com/CautiousWeeBustard.webm

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I had never noticed Homer's face during the original scene even though it's so awkward.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i am beginning to doubt these meme schedules are all that accurate, as i don't recall seeing anything in the way of celery memes this past month.

Come to me ll sou.I wi

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ak Gara posted:

I'm not a nazi or a redneck but I see any statue removal the same as book removal or history washing.

The Germans will straight up arrest you for even suggesting that the holocaust maybe possibly didn't happen, but the Japanese would probably say "Nanking? Never heard of it!"

Yea, you're a nazi lmao get punched in the dick you pos.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

:mmmhmm:

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

you're jerry cotton, you should also be punched in the dick

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

not sure this meme is v good lol

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Dick punching juice

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

This, but ironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005