Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Greater Than Alexander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
How many monarchs were assassinated by foreign powers in the period? I honestly don't know but I'm guessing next to none?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

skasion posted:

You can't literally form Carthage, but there is an achievement for holding Sicily, Sardinia, the Baleares, Algiers, and the Mediterranean coast of Spain as Tunis. Don't know if it works if you didn't start as Tunis though.

Have to start as Tunis, unfortunately.

Also obviously the silliest thing you can do as Venice is to do a WC but remaining as a Merchant Republic the entire time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Peas and Rice posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised there isn't an achievement for recreating Alexander the Great's empire.

We need a mechanic for that empire to immediately fall apart upon ruler death first.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fintilgin posted:

How many monarchs were assassinated by foreign powers in the period? I honestly don't know but I'm guessing next to none?

A number were assassinated, but more commonly by domestic enemies than foreign. A couple of French kings got killed by various zealots during the wars of religion, and I know a couple of Ottomans were done in by their immediate successors. But as far as European monarchs killed by foreign conspiracy during the game's period: Michael II of Wallachia and Moldavia was put to death on the orders of the Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf, and that's about the only one I can think of.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Ming as a nation are so overpowered that it's almost unfun to play. Get the few achievements and then?

The great -> golden horde was pretty fun, balls to the wall, action but then I accidentally reformed and that grain achievement has gone into the ether

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

skasion posted:

A number were assassinated, but more commonly by domestic enemies than foreign. A couple of French kings got killed by various zealots during the wars of religion, and I know a couple of Ottomans were done in by their immediate successors. But as far as European monarchs killed by foreign conspiracy during the game's period: Michael II of Wallachia and Moldavia was put to death on the orders of the Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf, and that's about the only one I can think of.

William of Orange, leader of the Dutch revolt against Spain, was assassinated. The Spanish king had put a 25k crown bounty on his head.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Sounds like this kind of thing is better handled through event than through a menu with "Assassinate king y/n" on it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gort posted:

Sounds like this kind of thing is better handled through event than through a menu with "Assassinate king y/n" on it.

True, but for the record no one was suggesting anything even close to the latter

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is the HRE hardcoded to have only monarchs be eligible for emperors, or can theocracies or republics be modded to work as well? Can succession IA be modded too? Wondering if I can mod the HRE mechanics to work a little differently for the CK2 game I'll be converting soonish

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

QuarkJets posted:

True, but for the record no one was suggesting anything even close to the latter

QuarkJets posted:

Assassination attempts seem like a thing this game should have but doesn't for some reason. I guess it would be annoying dealing with the AI constantly attempting to kill your rulers

I mean, you kinda did when you suggested assassination was something the AI could choose to do.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gort posted:

I mean, you kinda did when you suggested assassination was something the AI could choose to do.

Yeah, if you ignore the rest of my posts then that might seem true. But I pretty quickly revised that from "here's a downside of the most simplistic version of this idea" to "here's how it could work without that downside"

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
If it's a feature that is only going to pop maybe once a game it's not even worth the time to code it; if it pops as often as diplo sabotage then gently caress playing eu4 ever again. Move on already.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-13th-of-june-2017.1028783/

dev diary with the patch notes.

I didn't look super thoroughly but I didn't see anything about changes to Ming. On the other hand, England is getting a huge buff with 20%+ goods produced as one of its ideas.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-13th-of-june-2017.1028783/

dev diary with the patch notes.

I didn't look super thoroughly but I didn't see anything about changes to Ming. On the other hand, England is getting a huge buff with 20%+ goods produced as one of its ideas.
Constantinople and Cairo now produce Cloth. Interesting.
Manchu provinces start with Feudalism.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

quote:

Added more polynesian names.
There are polynesian names?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

quote:

- AI no longer cares about potential allies/marriages being above diplomatic relations limit.

I hope this means the end of the diplomatic relations problems introduced by the 1.21 patch.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

interesting to me

- Colonies get 1% Liberty Desire per every 1% tariffs rate.
- Colonies to not get LD from relative power.
- AI subjects can no longer refuse to take land that their overlord gives them in peace deals. This excludes Tributaries (based on is_voluntary).
- The first AI wave of sending diplomatic actions is now spread out over five days, instead of all on the first.
- AI Call to Arms acceptance from "Attitude towards enemies" now adds one fifth of, instead of twice the, Aggressive Expansion relation penalty.
- Harsh treatment cost modifiers are now shown in the tooltip for the button.
- Alert for Make State now lists development of the state in the tooltip.
- Improved the can create state alert tooltip with icons.

- Fixed being able to play past 1821 in Ironman games.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

oddium posted:

- AI subjects can no longer refuse to take land that their overlord gives them in peace deals. This excludes Tributaries (based on is_voluntary).

Best change, so sick of needing extra wars because a vassal won't take land that they should want and won't transfer occupation back to you.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Best change, so sick of needing extra wars because a vassal won't take land that they should want and won't transfer occupation back to you.

I'm pretty sure they already switched it so you can transfer occupation away from your subjects. At least that's how it has been working for me.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

AnoHito posted:

I'm pretty sure they already switched it so you can transfer occupation away from your subjects. At least that's how it has been working for me.

Huh, didn't know they did that. Still annoying when you don't want to core the land yourself though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AnoHito posted:

For months, maybe years.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Tsyni posted:

For months, maybe years.

It's from 1.19, I think, so a bit over half a year.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

In glad to see the development added to the state alert. That will make my life a little easier. I still wish that you could click on a state name from the ledger and go to that state. It would make it easier to un-state lovely places once you've conquered juicy land.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Arcturas posted:

In glad to see the development added to the state alert. That will make my life a little easier. I still wish that you could click on a state name from the ledger and go to that state. It would make it easier to un-state lovely places once you've conquered juicy land.

Wait, you can un-state stuff? Does it cost anything?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skasion posted:

Wait, you can un-state stuff? Does it cost anything?

You lose any state cores that you had there, so the autonomy goes up to 75%, and you don't get a refund for those lost cores. But that's it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

You lose any state cores that you had there, so the autonomy goes up to 75%, and you don't get a refund for those lost cores. But that's it.

The more you know! I had absolutely no idea that was even possible. Time to ditch my Mughals' lovely steppe and mountain land and state the hell out of India.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
- Mandate penalty from neighbouring non-tributaries is now calculated from all owned areas instead of just the home area.

So long, Taiwan.

EDIT: Also, the improvements to Aristocratic ideas make it look a lot more viable.

- Military Traditions moved to Second place in Aristocratic Ideas.
- The Aristocratic Idea Local Nobility now gives global autonomy and yearly absolutism.
- The Aristocratic Idea Serfdom increased to 33% Manpower.
- The Aristocratic Idea international Diplomacy now also gives +1 free leaders.
- The Aristocratic Idea noble Noble Resilience replaced with Noble Connections (+20% mercenary pool).
- Aristocratic Finisher is now +1 leader siege.

Noble Resilience is a wash, of course. International Diplomacy giving an extra leader slot in addition to the free diplomat isn't bad. Local Nobility sounds like (depending on how much it gives) may be worth it on its own for the yearly Absolutism/autonomy tick.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 13, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

- [Mare Nostrum] New Subject Interaction called 'press sailors' which allows you to take sailors from your colonial nations.

lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

aristocratic still has to contend with offensive, quality, and defensive

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

QuarkJets posted:

- [Mare Nostrum] New Subject Interaction called 'press sailors' which allows you to take sailors from your colonial nations.

lol

Can we just remove sailors instead? The only time I've ever cared about how many sailors I have is the first 10 years of a ryukyu game.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
sailors are poo poo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fear not, once you found a colonial nation then you'll be able to draft plenty of sailors

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

oddium posted:

aristocratic still has to contend with offensive, quality, and defensive

Yeah but now it's at least a proper choice. Now pretty much all military ideas are worthwhile (except naval lol) and there's actually a lot of utility into aristocratic with the extra diplomat (since they added the macro diplomacy thing I can't ever have enough diplomats) and free leader slot, extra manpower is always good, and +1 leader siege as finisher is great.

If you also take innovative and offensive for the policy you can have +30% siege ability and guaranteed 2 siege pips generals starting around mid game which is loving awesome since I rarely manage to even get 1 in late game...

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I've had games where I take Innovative early just to have the +1 leader siege policy in the late game so being able to get that from a tree that gives other bonuses I might actually want is great

gently caress level 8 forts

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I've had games where I take Innovative early just to have the +1 leader siege policy in the late game so being able to get that from a tree that gives other bonuses I might actually want is great

gently caress level 8 forts
In my Commonwealth game that I posted about a few pages ago I took Innovative as my first Admin idea / second idea overall because I knew I would be taking Quality and Offensive - the 20% Infantry Combat is hella good and the siege stuff is top shelf. I feel like it really paid off - my conquests were limited by AE a truces, not coring cost, so having Innovative really paid off.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I've been in a bunch of games where I wound up taking innovative later on and getting so much benefit out of it that I've been like "gently caress why didn't I take this earlier". Most of the ideas in there range from pretty good to excellent and it enables the best policy in the game

In my Ethiopia game I took Innovative first and did not regret it; those tech reductions added up, my manpower was terrible so the merc maintenance reduction gave me a ton of flexibility, and having an extra adviser slot meant always being able to pick the adviser that I needed when I needed it.

I'm currently playing as Byzantium and tried taking Humanist as my first admin idea. I think it's worked out really well so far; saved a ton of monarch points with the idea cost reduction, almost never had to fight rebels, tons of economic benefits from the extra culture slots and religious tolerance... it seems kind of insane. And outraged countries tend to get over AE very fast when you have +30% Improve Relations from Humanist, +25% Improve Relations from Diplomatic, and the +Improve Relations adviser simultaneously. My bottlenecks so far have been truce timers and manpower (which soon went away when my first mil idea was Quantity)

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I'm looking forward to trying a Hungary game because:
- Hungarian Black Army modifiers improved significantly and no longer increase mercenary maintenance.
- Black army now lasts until Age of Absolutism at the latest rather than age of reformation.
- Added more dynamic province names for Hungary.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mr. Fowl posted:

- Mandate penalty from neighbouring non-tributaries is now calculated from all owned areas instead of just the home area.

So long, Taiwan.

Can't believe they bowed to Chinese pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Okay, so I invade one of the Aztec nations, march an army from my colony and lay siege to their capital. I win the siege and occupation goes to Denmark, who is also at war with them. However they were not involved in the siege in anyway, I won the whole thing by myself. Why do they get occupation?

• Locked thread