Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Drone posted:

So did congressional Republicans get high on their own supply to the degree that they do today? I can't help but shake the feeling that Trump could just play out the entire Watergate scandal step-for-step and walk away from it completely fine. Things were probably way different in Nixon's day, and I have the feeling today's GOP has drank their own kool-aid to an extent that was unimaginable forty years ago.

That's absolutely the case. Forty years ago, the parties were much more cross-pollinated: you had liberal Republicans (like Nelson Rockefeller, who was Ford's VP) and very conservative Democrats, so the parties were harder to get fully in line with anything. In addition, news was much more homogenous - everyone watched one more of three networks for news, and stewing in your own media bubble was both harder to do *and* marked you more as a weirdo.

Nowadays, the parties are much more unified in purpose, and it's much easier to wrap yourself in a media cocoon and never hear an opinion that challenges you or makes you question your party's leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mustached Demon posted:

Continuing on with my example of type 1: the insulin alone runs 400-500/mo. That's a loving car payment on an Acura or Lexus or something. For just the insulin so they can actually derive energy from food.

That's largely because Novo Nordisk and Eli Lily are in a war for market share, but are using barely-disguised kickbacks instead of lower prices to get the upper hand on each other. The scheme to make the kickbacks legal just happens to involve skyrocketing retail prices, but that's just a side effect to them because (now that everyone has insurance) the customers they are competing over are pharmacy benefit managers not the actual users of Novolog/Humalog.

Maybe we are approaching this from the wrong angle. Lots of people will die earlier than they would have otherwise, but we already know the GOP doesn't give a gently caress about that. Lots of businesses are making bank off the idea of everyone having access to insurance that must cover certain things with no preexisting condition exceptions, like the entire industry in Florida based around scamming northern insurance coverage for drug rehab. As a non-ghoul I see them as good evidence of the need for nationwide single payer, but maybe we can use the GOP's love for sleazy business practices to get them to do the right thing for the wrong reasons?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I can't believe Trump would be stupid enough to try to fire a special prosecutor. His lawyer has to be printing out the wiki article on the Saturday Night Massacre, rolling it up, and smacking him with it to get the point across, no?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kammat posted:

I can't believe Trump would be stupid enough to try to fire a special prosecutor. His lawyer has to be printing out the wiki article on the Saturday Night Massacre, rolling it up, and smacking him with it to get the point across, no?

That would just make him want to do it more. Trump isn't a contrarian, not really, he just will make up any reason internally to do what he wants once he makes up his mind. He seems like a contrarian because he usually makes bad decisions people advise him against, but he made those bad decisions before they advised him. It's exactly how a toddlers mind works.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Yes, Trump's attorneys are well known for their candor.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's exactly how a toddlers mind works.

GOVERNMENT IN CRISIS AS TERRORISTS SEIZE PRESIDENT'S NOSE

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 13, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Kammat posted:

This justy made me wonder if staffers have ever used articles from Simple Wikipedia to explain things to Trump

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kammat posted:

Always possible that he's getting to be enough of a liability to the people around him that he is getting bad advice with the object of getting him out cleanly and quickly, rather than have something inevitable drag on (and, for that matter, potentially implicate a lot more people).

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

skeleton warrior posted:

That's absolutely the case. Forty years ago, the parties were much more cross-pollinated: you had liberal Republicans (like Nelson Rockefeller, who was Ford's VP) and very conservative Democrats, so the parties were harder to get fully in line with anything. In addition, news was much more homogenous - everyone watched one more of three networks for news, and stewing in your own media bubble was both harder to do *and* marked you more as a weirdo.

Nowadays, the parties are much more unified in purpose, and it's much easier to wrap yourself in a media cocoon and never hear an opinion that challenges you or makes you question your party's leadership.

The whole concept used to be that both parties had liberal and conservative wings, and thus to get nominated you had to be a moderate, which was considered ideal because the country was considered moderate. The irony is that this all started under Nixon and now we are sitting here looking at Nixon 2.0.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I realize this is an optimistic outlook, but I'm betting Trump doesn't fire Mueller for the same reason he didn't try to stop Comey testifying--he is, at heart, a coward.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kammat posted:

I can't believe Trump would be stupid enough

Doesn't matter what you put after this statement, you should absolutely believe it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, I heard the audio last night, but watching the cabinet meeting this morning is something abhorrent. It's actually kind of revolting.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
how long until sessions testimony? thank u

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alter Ego posted:

I realize this is an optimistic outlook, but I'm betting Trump doesn't fire Mueller for the same reason he didn't try to stop Comey testifying--he is, at heart, a coward.

Yeah it would hardly be the first time he has floated a dumb idea and backed down on it.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

botany posted:

I believe it's at 2:30 pm est

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

botany posted:

2:30 EDT I believe

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's kind of nuts to realize that Fox News might literally be a significant contributing factor to the downfall of American Democracy.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Sessions testimony today is going to be such a waste of time. He is going out there to prove to Trump that he still has value, and the GOP Senators will be only too happy to enable him.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah it would hardly be the first time he has floated a dumb idea and backed down on it.

I swear we've heard a lot worse, but nothing's coming to mind right now. Stuff that was being floated by the administration, then they backed away from.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Only had time to read the headline and a few tweets from Olberman, but this seems big/worrying:

Bloomberg: 39 state's voting registry databases hacked by Russia

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Captain Invictus posted:

It's kind of nuts to realize that Fox News might literally be a significant contributing factor to the downfall of American Democracy.

Why is it nuts that a propaganda machine that has been running at full steam for decades would eventually see some success?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Captain Invictus posted:

Why's that? Ever heard of Der Stürmer?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Captain Invictus posted:

true before trump

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Anora posted:

Only had time to read the headline and a few tweets from Olberman, but this seems big/worrying:

Bloomberg: 39 state's voting registry databases hacked by Russia

more and more of this needs to be the bludgeon used against gop members trying to downplay the importance of the investigation

notes useless motherfucker rand paul was out in the wild calling the investigation sour grapes just yesterday

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

There Bias Two posted:

Why is it nuts that a propaganda machine that has been running at full steam for decades would eventually see some success?

Drone posted:

Why's that? Ever heard of Der Stürmer?
More that it's been allowed to peddle its propaganda for so long without much stopping it.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

aware of dog posted:

I believe it's at 2:30 pm est

that's... six hours-ish from now? gently caress, probably won't be able to watch then :(

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Captain Invictus posted:

More that it's been allowed to peddle its propaganda for so long without much stopping it.

Under what mechanism could it reasonably be stopped? That is the risk of free speech.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

There Bias Two posted:

Under what mechanism could it reasonably be stopped? That is the risk of free speech.
That's the problem, isn't it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Captain Invictus posted:

Hard to say. I'd rather take that risk than have media censorship in place.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Why are you pro capitalism if it is incapable of keeping people alive?

I'm obviously not in the medical field, and think capitalism has proven to be compatible with socialized medicine in a way that humans haven't proven to be compatible with full communism.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shifty Pony posted:

That's largely because Novo Nordisk and Eli Lily are in a war for market share, but are using barely-disguised kickbacks instead of lower prices to get the upper hand on each other. The scheme to make the kickbacks legal just happens to involve skyrocketing retail prices, but that's just a side effect to them because (now that everyone has insurance) the customers they are competing over are pharmacy benefit managers not the actual users of Novolog/Humalog.

Maybe we are approaching this from the wrong angle. Lots of people will die earlier than they would have otherwise, but we already know the GOP doesn't give a gently caress about that. Lots of businesses are making bank off the idea of everyone having access to insurance that must cover certain things with no preexisting condition exceptions, like the entire industry in Florida based around scamming northern insurance coverage for drug rehab. As a non-ghoul I see them as good evidence of the need for nationwide single payer, but maybe we can use the GOP's love for sleazy business practices to get them to do the right thing for the wrong reasons?

Insulins a bit more complicated due to how its drug classification prohibits generics. Plus the drive towards increasing value per dose either through more potent doses or driving down costs. Having one almighty provider saying "gently caress you I'm paying this much" along with NIH helping with research might help.

Reading about it sort of makes insulin itself a tougher example, imo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean, it really could be argued that the entire environment isn't Fox News' fault, but CNN's. CNN was the first 24/7 news network and is directly responsible for the commodification and commercialization of the news. Fox just took the formula that CNN created and perfected it into a partisan machine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Honestly I really hope our election was hacked. Then we at least have a loving excuse and can maybe save face in the international community later. "Sorry about Trump, we didn't loving elect him. Our sincere apologies we were even in a position to be hacked, please accept a return to normalcy"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Drone posted:

I mean, it really could be argued that the entire environment isn't Fox News' fault, but CNN's. CNN was the first 24/7 news network and is directly responsible for the commodification and commercialization of the news. Fox just took the formula that CNN created and perfected it into a partisan machine.

ya just likes it's not trumps fault he doesn't pay taxes, just smart people taking advantage of the system bing bong

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Honestly I really hope our election was hacked. Then we at least have a loving excuse and can maybe save face in the international community later. "Sorry about Trump, we didn't loving elect him. Our sincere apologies we were even in a position to be hacked, please accept a return to normalcy"
That's a hard line to sell when a large part of the country brazenly admits that they do not care if that happened at all because it's all the better that the Russians would have helped them bring slavery back

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
If you are in Virginia please remember to vote (for Tom Perriello) today.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Drone posted:

Eh...If you really want to assign ultimate fault you have to look to fiscal conservatives leveraging the Southern Strategy to ply southern voters...which then spread to suburbanites all over the country. That was the priming of the pump. Then you have us entering into a post-industrial era where blue collar jobs are drying up or just not paying as well, leaving large swaths of the in-group in financial panic. Then you had the advent of the internet and the somewhat decentralization of media...Finally, you have the supreme court and the decision of Citizens United. This allowed dark money to leverage the previous situation to the eyeballs to attain its goals.

And here we are.

CNN as a concept...24 hour news...is just an aspect of it, not the driver or the cause.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Al Borland Corp. posted:

you didn't anyway, you voted for clinton by like 3 million.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

skylined! posted:

more and more of this needs to be the bludgeon used against gop members trying to downplay the importance of the investigation

notes useless motherfucker rand paul was out in the wild calling the investigation sour grapes just yesterday

With plenty of cover from the left too :shrug:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

quote:

U.S. Rep. Mike Quigley introduced the Communications Over Various Feeds Electronically for Engagement or COVFEFE act Monday. It would amend the Presidential Records Act to include the term social media.

I love this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

botany posted:

you didn't anyway, you voted for clinton by like 3 million.

She should have won by twenty in any sane country. Should have been Reagan Mondale levels. That it wasn't is a national shame.

• Locked thread