Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Oh Snapple! posted:

people are right to call out a game made by a piece of poo poo who harasses people

like that's some loving lol-worthy BUT BOTH SIDES poo poo

some video games are fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The dude seems less abusive and more just an idiot, and he's apologizing over and over. Kotaku has a good rundown if you really care.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

an actual dog posted:

The dude seems less abusive and more just an idiot, and he's apologizing over and over. Kotaku has a good rundown if you really care.
thanks for this, gonna go back to my original stance of "don't buy his game if you don't like him"

i'd say that i wish video games weren't the subject of such moral panic, but there's never been a period of time where this hasn't been the case

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's why I never care about "cultural critiques" of video games. If the game is good, I couldn't care less about the time one of the creator's "said a thing." I also don't care if people think the game is "bad" or "problematic," if I enjoy it, I'll play it. If I don't I won't. Ez, peezy.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

It's a pixel art indie throwback. Good chance it was going to be lovely regardless of its political content.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
a dumb and bad person called dumb and bad ???????

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
if we make our video games more egalitarian then it will stimulate systemic change.i call it trickle down social justice

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the video game industry is a good future look at the squeezing out of the middle class. you have a few giant video game companies, bloated off of the acquisition of smaller studios and the IPs that came with them, producing the same crap every year. then you have the indie developers who crap out one game, which usually has pixel art and capitalizes on nostalgia, and then never make another one because constantly making games is very time and money consuming

this is what happens when all the mid-sized studios are either bought out or dead. someone in the gbs bad video games opinion thread called for Full Video Game Communism and i agree

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

get that OUT of my face posted:

the video game industry is a good future look at the squeezing out of the middle class. you have a few giant video game companies, bloated off of the acquisition of smaller studios and the IPs that came with them, producing the same crap every year. then you have the indie developers who crap out one game, which usually has pixel art and capitalizes on nostalgia, and then never make another one because constantly making games is very time and money consuming

this is what happens when all the mid-sized studios are either bought out or dead. someone in the gbs bad video games opinion thread called for Full Video Game Communism and i agree

You have a collective of secretly communicating media and commentariat types discussing who should and shouldn't be allowed to exist in the space based on their own predilections too, who then organise mass efforts to cause the target to fail and be run out.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Byolante posted:

You have a collective of secretly communicating media and commentariat types discussing who should and shouldn't be allowed to exist in the space based on their own predilections too, who then organise mass efforts to cause the target to fail and be run out.
that's not exclusive to the video game industry, but that's true too

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

the trump tutelage posted:

if we make our video games more egalitarian then it will stimulate systemic change.i call it trickle down social justice

I just want to shoot a lot of Nazis, Klansmen, and Dominionists without going to jail or committing murder.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I just want to shoot a lot of Nazis, Klansmen, and Dominionists without going to jail or committing murder.

I mean as long as you realize it a fantasy and not actually changing anything in the real world or effecting any one online.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Does that mean its ok to play mr brokebrain's bladerunner knockoff and shoot a lot of feminists and racial equality people then? Horizon was pretty good with this because male and female enemies were totally interchangeable in combat so you could have some equal opportunity murdering.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

BexGu posted:

I mean as long as you realize it a fantasy and not actually changing anything in the real world or effecting any one online.

It clearly makes neo-Nazis and alt-right dudes (but I repeat myself) angry as heck online?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Relevant Tangent posted:

It clearly makes neo-Nazis and alt-right dudes (but I repeat myself) angry as heck online?

I actually really don't think it does that much. Sure the internet is so big now you can find any fringe opinion but it always looks like the "this will make X so mad" people jerking themselves off wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out number people actually angry. It like someone buying the Hatred game to piss off the SJW/Tumbler folks.

Spending money to on something to make a vague group angry is just consumerism as activism with a side order of jerking yourself off.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Byolante posted:

Does that mean its ok to play mr brokebrain's bladerunner knockoff and shoot a lot of feminists and racial equality people then? Horizon was pretty good with this because male and female enemies were totally interchangeable in combat so you could have some equal opportunity murdering.

shut up you personification of hot chocolate high velocity

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Byolante posted:

yes, it is ok to play video games. also just imagine how mad people will be that you like different games then they do.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Byolante posted:

lol nobody would have even heard about your retarded little game without idiots like you being so predictably controlled by pavlovian reflexes and compulsively screaming about it with foam dribbling down your chins

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

yes, it is ok to play video games. also just imagine how mad people will be that you like different games then they do.

We need to gas anyone who doesn't like the stuff I like.

Also if someone likes stuff I like but likes it in a different way then gas them twice.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

lol nobody would have even heard about your retarded little game without idiots like you being so predictably controlled by pavlovian reflexes and compulsively screaming about it with foam dribbling down your chins

I only know about the person's political leanings because the E3 thread in games started melting down about the creator not the content. I don't like point and click games so unless it shows up in a humble bundle at some stage I will probably never even own it though. But its cool you think free speech absolutism is actually being a alt-right person :)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Byolante posted:

I only know about the person's political leanings because the E3 thread in games started melting down about the creator not the content. I don't like point and click games so unless it shows up in a humble bundle at some stage I will probably never even own it though. But its cool you think free speech absolutism is actually being a alt-right person :)

shut up you personification of hot chocolate high velocity

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'll give it a shot. I tried hatred and the actual game itsself is so terribly done and unfun to play everyone mostly forgot about it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
in simpler terms: if you don't want some obscure dork's half-assed "game" getting publicity, don't be its main source of publicity

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

in simpler terms: if you don't want some obscure dork's half-assed "game" getting publicity, don't be its main source of publicity

Pretty sure it's main source of publicity was being in the microsoft presentation.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf5_knrgeWk&

LET THEM EAT CAKE!

(Goddamn this country is broken...)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

once you get into elected office, you immediately lose any good ideas you were campaigning for. see also: the mayor of baltimore vetoing a $15 minimum wage that she talked about

i truly think that a labour-like shift to the left will never happen here. every political system is flawed, but not every one is broken. ours is

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

once you get into elected office, you immediately lose any good ideas you were campaigning for. see also: the mayor of baltimore vetoing a $15 minimum wage that she talked about

i truly think that a labour-like shift to the left will never happen here. every political system is flawed, but not every one is broken. ours is

i honestly think that US society and culture is to individualist/anti authority to ever get really good social network with labor or healthcare. doesnt help that right has poisoned generations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i honestly think that US society and culture is to individualist/anti authority to ever get really good social network with labor or healthcare. doesnt help that right has poisoned generations.
the problem isn't the voting public that already supports these things. it's our political institutions that are almost completely insulated from popular opinion. voters are only used to put a stamp on the process. political parties can and will ignore them for as long as it takes, and they'll be successful in running out the clock

on a related note, don't trust anyone around my age (30) who wants to run for congress. ossoff kinda sucks but there's a guy in Faso's NY district who is even more of a politically connected shill. he's 28

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Anyone who still cares or brings Gamergate poo poo in 2017 should be flayed alive

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also Hatred had flaws but it was wonderfully camp in its own way and entertained me. I'm still waiting for someoen to create the Serial Killer Roguelike though

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Anyone who still cares or brings Gamergate poo poo in 2017 should be flayed alive
when i started college, people kept telling us to watch what we post to social media. the belief was that companies and hiring people would look at us holding a red plastic cup and immediately reject us

turns out the people digging up old embarrassing things on social media aren't important at all. they're perpetually outraged weenies who have nothing better to do than to go through years-old tweets and share them with similarly fragile people

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Plutonis posted:

Gamergate was the turd caterpillar that turned into the majestic Pepefly.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Plutonis posted:

Also Hatred had flaws but it was wonderfully camp in its own way and entertained me. I'm still waiting for someoen to create the Serial Killer Roguelike though

I think this was the Hotline Miami games.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Someone linked me one of those articles about people mad about killing Nazis in Wolfenstein and how gamers were melting down, and, uh, gotta say the author of the piece really doesn't come across as particularly sane either.

http://www.dorkly.com/post/83711/nazi-pissboys-are-crying-over-a-new-game-where-you-murder-nazis

Before the internet and anonymous comments existed, did people like this guy just scream at random people on the street?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Plutonis posted:

its alright, amuslingly edgy and its weirdly fun with mods.

Not a Step posted:

Someone linked me one of those articles about people mad about killing Nazis in Wolfenstein and how gamers were melting down, and, uh, gotta say the author of the piece really doesn't come across as particularly sane either.

http://www.dorkly.com/post/83711/nazi-pissboys-are-crying-over-a-new-game-where-you-murder-nazis

Before the internet and anonymous comments existed, did people like this guy just scream at random people on the street?

some do. again its mostly from /pol/ and hard right reddit so who knows. most of these people are dumb fuckhead kids who want to be edgy and being raised on the internet. plus as much as it hurts to say, the alt right is a counter culture against established norms at least on a technical level. anyway the only lefty i saw complain/poo poo on about wolfenstein/and e3 games in general was full macintosh because shooting nazis doesnt help and sends bad messages.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

when i started college, people kept telling us to watch what we post to social media. the belief was that companies and hiring people would look at us holding a red plastic cup and immediately reject us

turns out the people digging up old embarrassing things on social media aren't important at all. they're perpetually outraged weenies who have nothing better to do than to go through years-old tweets and share them with similarly fragile people

thats what i have heard to. it seems HR/hiring people mostly look and flag stuff like nudes/drukeness/hate speech/drugs.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i like shooting germans in video games. and brazilians. and swedes. and koreans. and russians. and gorillas. and the british. and robots. and mexicans if anyone ever played her.

i really really really like shooting the japanese but i can never hit that ninja flipping fucker

e: i do not like shooting my australian countrymen, this is offensive to me

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Posting here to mock the DemSoc ~operatives~ at my work unironically discussing the political ~meaning~ of Harry Potter during lunch.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

post their conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Kingfish posted:

post their conversation.

No, because I am not goony enough to give a poo poo about some other people talking about loving harry potter beyond "lol".

• Locked thread