Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

InterrupterJones posted:

How can you say you want more quotes like this:

and less quotes like this:

I love that anguished unmaking grid with all the fake flavor texts that are hard to tell from the real one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

They can argue all they want that they need a stupid lovely core set for babbies in order for "needed reprints," but its WOTC's own fault they were too stupid to print cards like Pithing Needle or Duress.

Pithing Needle was in Kaladesh. Check your facts. :smug:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Pithing Needle was in Kaladesh. Check your facts. :smug:

The actual reason they don't reprint that card is pretty obvious: they're hugely up their own rear end in a top hat about Planeswalkers and took out anything that would effectively deal with them other than combat damage.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

The actual reason they don't reprint that card is pretty obvious: they're hugely up their own rear end in a top hat about Planeswalkers and took out anything that would effectively deal with them other than combat damage.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

reprint hex parasite

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Changes seem fine but the past few fixes seem to be "Throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks."
I think it will be the blind squirrel situation.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
With Core Sets coming back and having a certain amount of reprints, do you think that having a small set of cards that are always Standard-legal (by being printed in every Core Set) would benefit the game? Like a few cards in each color and a couple of artifacts and lands you can always count on being available, like Cancel in blue and Shock in red. Maybe upgrades are available in certain story sets that obsolete these for a time (like Bolt getting a reprint and then rotating back out) but you'll know you can always fall back on these in Standard. Do you think that would that restrict deckbuilding too much, or would it help make each color a little more viable if a player can say "at least I can fall back on X, Y, and Z for my red deck, sure they're not amazing cards but they're of average power and indicative of what this color wants to do"?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

C-Euro posted:

With Core Sets coming back and having a certain amount of reprints, do you think that having a small set of cards that are always Standard-legal (by being printed in every Core Set) would benefit the game? Like a few cards in each color and a couple of artifacts and lands you can always count on being available, like Cancel in blue and Shock in red. Maybe upgrades are available in certain story sets that obsolete these for a time (like Bolt getting a reprint and then rotating back out) but you'll know you can always fall back on these in Standard. Do you think that would that restrict deckbuilding too much, or would it help make each color a little more viable if a player can say "at least I can fall back on X, Y, and Z for my red deck, sure they're not amazing cards but they're of average power and indicative of what this color wants to do"?

I think there should always be a few types of staples, but they don't necessarily need to always be the same. Sometimes you can have Shock, and maybe if we're lucky we'll get Lightning Bolt sometimes.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

The actual reason they don't reprint that card

But they did please stop lying.

Actual answer: They made Never to Return, To The Slaughter, and Ruinous Path. The issue is those don't really work in practice, being sorceries or sac effects. Though I don't know when in the process they should've realized hey dummies, Hero's Downfall should be instant and also in the format. Maybe metamorphosis 2 is that.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
To the Slaughter could have been pretty decent, if not for the fact that the top deck has had tons of incidental weenies in it for the entire time the card has been in standard. Thraben inspector in particular.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

They can argue all they want that they need a stupid lovely core set for babbies in order for "needed reprints," but its WOTC's own fault they were too stupid to print cards like Pithing Needle or Duress.

They could reprint outside of flavor concerns and never did, core sets simply weren't needed for that, but they obviously want them back for other reasons. It's a tutorial draft format, it's presumable easy to design, and with the new changes they have a weird gap that can't be a new set so they're coming back to a formula that worked.

I personally hate core sets because they tend to get under drafted due to depth, and any chase mythic that aren't reprints yet explode in value. Baneslayer Angel, and then the titan cycle were great examples, or more recently JVP.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

Changes seem fine but the past few fixes seem to be "Throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks."
I think it will be the blind squirrel situation.

Yeah if I had to levy any criticism about all this it would be that I don't like how quickly they keep changing things around. Going to the two-set block structure was fine after years of the same three-set stuff, but then they plugged the plug on the 18-month rotation too quickly to see if it was any good, and then dumped the two-set block thing after two years. But at the same time, good on them for listening to and responding to customer feedback.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think there should always be a few types of staples, but they don't necessarily need to always be the same. Sometimes you can have Shock, and maybe if we're lucky we'll get Lightning Bolt sometimes.

Well yeah, but what I'm saying is that a small set of color-representative cards gets reprinted in every Core Set so that they're always in Standard, but sometimes the regular course of reprints brings something better that fills the same purpose. So for example Duress is printed in every Core Set so you always have a baseline for discard, but maybe in a couple years Thoughtseize gets a reprint so that becomes the go-to discard spell. Then TS rotates back out and you're back to using Duress.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

C-Euro posted:

Well yeah, but what I'm saying is that a small set of color-representative cards gets reprinted in every Core Set so that they're always in Standard, but sometimes the regular course of reprints brings something better that fills the same purpose. So for example Duress is printed in every Core Set so you always have a baseline for discard, but maybe in a couple years Thoughtseize gets a reprint so that becomes the go-to discard spell. Then TS rotates back out and you're back to using Duress.

Some eternal staples are also much safer for Standard than they would initially appear because of how wildly different the metagames are. A card like Inquisition would likely have the same troubles that Push does where it's still good, but it's limitations are much more relevant.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It's 11 PM EST, where's the rest of the news we were supposed to get today?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BJPaskoff posted:

It's 11 PM EST, where's the rest of the news we were supposed to get today?

I think thats it for today. Tomorrow is b&r with a splash of digital next. Expect sadness all around after the uplift that was today.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I think thats it for today. Tomorrow is b&r with a splash of digital next. Expect sadness all around after the uplift that was today.

quote:

After almost 22 years of making Magic, it's exciting to constantly find ways to keep improving it. I hope the new changes I announced in today's column excite all of you as much as they excite me and the rest of R&D. There's a lot of cool stuff coming your way (a bunch of which you'll hear about later this week).

Originally the article said "a bunch of which you'll hear about later today", which is why I've been waiting for more stuff to drop.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

BJPaskoff posted:

Originally the article said "a bunch of which you'll hear about later today", which is why I've been waiting for more stuff to drop.

I assume the decision to switch from an Announcement Day to an Announcement Week happened after Maro wrote his article. He writes them like 3 or 4 weeks in advance.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Is there even any reason to expect anything other than "no changes to all formats" tomorrow other than the recent "But death's shadow isn't fair :qq:" that's been going on?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mef989 posted:

Is there even any reason to expect anything other than "no changes to all formats" tomorrow other than the recent "But death's shadow isn't fair :qq:" that's been going on?

Marvel?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Fair enough. I don't play standard so that didn't even cross my mind.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Don't worry everyone, "No changes." is on the way!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mef989 posted:

Marvel/Ulamog in Standard is possible but unlikely, Death's Shadow or Street Wraith in Modern is substantially unlikely, Deathrite getting hit in Legacy is unlikely, and Delver getting banned in Pauper is possible but unlikely.

There might be some commander poo poo but they don't need to wait for tomorrow to announce those bans.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Hellsau posted:

Marvel/Ulamog in Standard is possible but unlikely, Death's Shadow or Street Wraith in Modern is substantially unlikely, Deathrite getting hit in Legacy is unlikely, and Delver getting banned in Pauper is possible but unlikely.

There might be some commander poo poo but they don't need to wait for tomorrow to announce those bans.

I hope they don't touch Delver, it deserves to be playable in at least one format imo

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is Delver even the top deck in Pauper? I thought it had been unseated by other stuff a while back.

And even if it is, Pauper is still the most diverse format by a country mile and pretty much always has been except when Peregrine Drake was around.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I hope they don't touch Delver, it deserves to be playable in at least one format imo

What.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think the implication is that it's not currently playable in Modern, Legacy, or Vintage

I haven't followed any of them in months so I don't know if that's correct, but it has felt like it's been slowly fading out

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Delver is still very real in both legacy and pauper.

And it's playable in modern.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

quote:

And even if it is, Pauper is still the most diverse format by a country mile and pretty much always has been except when Peregrine Drake was around.

Pauper is such a great format. I wish more people played it in paper. Mono black control and u/w acid trip all day

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Pauper is such a great format. I wish more people played it in paper. Mono black control and u/w acid trip all day

Yeaaaaah. It's the only format where proper Affinity is playable, and I love it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

I think the implication is that it's not currently playable in Modern, Legacy, or Vintage

I haven't followed any of them in months so I don't know if that's correct, but it has felt like it's been slowly fading out

Delver/DRS midrange is the pretty clear best deck in legacy and I still feel pretty strongly that it would be tier 1 or close to it in vintage in some kind of a Null Rod deck. The whole format loses to Null Rod so hard right now. It's also still the best deck in pauper from what I've seen.

It's a joke in modern obviously but whatever.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mezzanon posted:

Wizards has started doing a weekly mtgo pauper challenge and it's fantastic. http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/pauper-challenge-2017-06-12#decklists

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The only concern I have w/ yesterday's announcement is that it could overload Creative.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Yeah, lol at them arriving at the conclusion that Theros just didn't have enough umph for three sets. The "world" was fine, they just botched the set design and story

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

The only concern I have w/ yesterday's announcement is that it could overload Creative.

Flavor text will be 25% worse

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

90% of their job is rearranging syllables on real world things so they're copyright-able terms, so I think they'll be fine.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

And contracting two words into one and calling it a day with regards to coming up with names for cards. See: Bloodrage Brawler, Bitterblade Warrior, Bloodlust Inciter, etc. And those are just from the first 20 creatures in amonkhet alphabetically.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I got Bloodblood Blooder :(

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

And so, the block structure is basically removed, the Gatewatch reduced as importance, the core set reintroduced, as many wanted, to have less restrictions with reprints, and the masterpieces are not in all the set anymore.
Will the magic players now stop to complain? I'm pretty sure they will not!

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Jabor posted:

I got Bloodblood Blooder :(

You probably want to copyright that asap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

YggdrasilTM posted:

And so, the block structure is basically removed, the Gatewatch reduced as importance, the core set reintroduced, as many wanted, to have less restrictions with reprints, and the masterpieces are not in all the set anymore.
Will the magic players now stop to complain? I'm pretty sure they will not!

Shut up, you tedious knob.