Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

docbeard posted:

So, you know, not to shove a pin into the ol' outrage balloon, but is there anything at the root of this other than some rando on twitter claiming to have seen some aide's mutterings about what "the Democrats" are doing?

The only way for them to block a reconciliation bill is to totally shut down process in the Senate by denying a quorum. Which they're not doing.

Here's an article about the deal on Russia sanctions.

Also, the "rando on twitter" is a congressional reporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Joementum posted:

Also, the "rando on twitter" is a congressional reporter.

Everyone on twitter, up to and including the so-called "President", is a rando.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
dems
dems never learn
:911:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
As Jeff also noted, even if the Democrats do attempt to shut down process in the Senate, they can only delay the passage of the bill, they can't prevent it. The question is whether going to this extreme option to delay the bill until after the July 4 recess is a good tactical decision. It would show Democratic activists that their leadership is willing to fight on this and would give them extra time over that break to stage protests against passage. Plus we'd get more details of the bill through leaks that can be used to pressure weak Republicans.

On the other hand, it would shut down all other business in the Senate, so no Russia sanctions, no Sessions testimony, etc.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Like nothing really stops the dems from going nuclear on what is literally the least popular republican policy position, except possibly that they fear this might kill the legislative filibuster which senate dems need to keep a potentially progressive house from passing poo poo that goes too far left (but the senate GOP is unlikely to kill it because it would mean dealing with the aftermath of the house GOP passing the "enabling the fifth monarchy and eternal republican dictatorship act").

I'm not entirely certain the rest of the order of the day is worth letting AHCA pass.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This is probably a really dumb question, but are bills that are up for vote in the Senate subject to the Freedom of Information Act?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

the Russian sanctions are even dumber than you all think. the republicans are currently pushing through sanctions on Iran. this would violate our nuclear agreement with Iran. in order to get Democratic support for this,
Mike Crapo introduced an amendment to the Iran sanctions bill adding... Russian sanctions. that's what the aide is talking about.

they're going to blow up Obamacare and Obama's signal foreign policy win just to... force trump to sign Russia sanctions.

(I think they expect he'll veto it and then they can claim he's being paid by Putin. he will not veto it.)

lol it owns that the democrats are undoing obama's entire legacy just to assuage hillary's ego

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
are americans paying attention at all

does it matter when the opposition party is composed of democrats

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

docbeard posted:

So, you know, not to shove a pin into the ol' outrage balloon, but is there anything at the root of this other than some rando on twitter claiming to have seen some aide's mutterings about what "the Democrats" are doing?

lol

you should know by now that Democratic politicians don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, especially when it comes to foreign policy.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

Obama's signal foreign policy win
lol what

e oh, you meant single. i was confused

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
americans are loving retarded for continuing to vote for these malevolent assholes

quote:

Obviously, there haven’t been any hearings, and there won’t be.

It’s not just that Republicans don’t want to litigate the bill through the press. They’re also not planning to allow for a lengthy public comment period once they’ve completed the draft.

Axios reported Monday that Senate Republicans, even as they expect to finish drafting the bill soon, “have no plans to publicly release the bill, according to two senior Senate GOP aides.”

“We aren’t stupid,” one of the aides told Axios.

Indeed, Mitch McConnell is not stupid enough to show the public what sort of health insurance system the Senate Republican caucus has planned for them or to let this hang in the wind. The public doesn’t even know how close the Senate is to completing this, and releasing a bill might complicate that. If they were so stupid as to let the public in on their progress, people might begin to jam Senate switchboards, just like they did with the House. There might be protests, or condemnatory letters from the American Medical Association or the American Hospital Association. The bill might dominate the news, and there might be a robust debate over it. How stupid would that be?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Frijolero posted:

lol

you should know by now that Democratic politicians don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, especially when it comes to foreign policy.

There's a difference between extending the benefit of the doubt (which I'm not) and just not going all fainting goat at the merest rumor (for all that it would be in character for them).

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
this thread is particularly frothy with indignation today

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ex post facho posted:

americans are loving retarded for continuing to vote for these malevolent assholes

Senate Democrats are going to let them get away with this lmao

rushing a bill through without letting anyone look at it is exactly what the GOP screamed about when the ACA was passed, even though it was a complete fabrication, and now that they're planning on doing the same thing themselves the Dems still think they can negotiate in good faith with the fuckers

the bitcoin of weed has issued a correction as of 15:08 on Jun 13, 2017

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

yeah a bunch of people who are nominally "our guys" sitting by and jacking off to the thought of maybe starving a few Russians while 23 million people lose healthcare access to a secret bill will do that

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol what

e oh, you meant single. i was confused

no, the adjective form of signal

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

docbeard posted:

There's a difference between extending the benefit of the doubt (which I'm not) and just not going all fainting goat at the merest rumor (for all that it would be in character for them).

:thumbsup:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

On the other hand, it would shut down all other business in the Senate, so no Russia sanctions, no Sessions testimony, etc.

its utterly amazing that the democratic leadership either doesn't know the GOP leadership was complicit in trump's treason or don't care. all these hearings are meaningless unless the democrats take back congress in 2018 because the republicans aren't about to arrest themselves along with trump.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
actually yo joe whats the quorum rules for congress? could all the democrats just abscond for the next year and a half

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Joementum posted:

This would be pretty important

Too bad they couldn't do it after Sessions.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

actually yo joe whats the quorum rules for congress? could all the democrats just abscond for the next year and a half

Requires 51 Senators to be present, but I think there are rules about needing the minority leader around or that the Democrats can just have one member hang out and deny unanimous consent for all motions, which requires a roll call vote on everything. The majority leader can also instruct the Sergeant at Arms to compel the attendance of the Senators (requires a roll call vote), which once resulted in a Senator being physically carried into the chamber.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Thousands are going to die because of their actions

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Good news peasants! Last year, 8 people owned more than half the human race. Now that's nearly been cut in half and one of these soft-faced gently caress sleeves wants to become President so he can harvest your genome.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/five-richest-men-inequality

quote:

While Americans fixate on Trump, the super-rich are absconding with our wealth, and the plague of inequality continues to grow. An analysis of 2016 data found that the poorest five deciles of the world population own about $410 billion in total wealth. As of June 8, 2017, the world's richest five men owned over $400 billion in wealth. Thus, on average, each man owns nearly as much as 750 million people.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

docbeard posted:

yeah I can't find a loving thing about it anywhere except for one idiot on twitter so color me skeptical

I'll get indignant when someone important says or does something

john mccain doesn't count

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Business Gorillas posted:

🌹 THERES ANOTHER WAY 🌹

ive always been interested but im reserved mostly because of how I see democrats behave in general :shrug: party lines and loyalties tend to get messy and super bad because then your cup is not empty and you become a unwilling to learn smuglord who gets corncobbed on the reg because you're double downing instead of just humbly learning :ohdear:

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

got any sevens posted:

whats the girl version of uncle tom

Remember when John Lewis was an Uncle Tom for questioning Sanders' civil rights history?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

🌹 THERES ANOTHER WAY 🌹

Conveniently this way you don't have to deal with the stress of losing close elections

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

y'all gonna keep fuckin around with me
and turn me back to the old me

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

punk rebel ecks posted:

This always made me wonder. How do we spend more money on healthcare than any other country in the world, if we use private insurance? Does the government heavily subsidize the insurance industry?

Anybody?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
because we have a for profit healthcare system with massive administrative overhead, thats why

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My interpretation of that stat was that it was based on the spending of Americans in general, not the American government specifically

so the answer to the question is "because they are profit-incentivized to make us pay more"

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
hospital paymasters. lorbl

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/874635108891938816

When a wackadoo has better foreign policy than the "left" party. :allears:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yeah that's spending per capita, including both tax expenditures that go towards healthcare and personal payments. the lesson there is that taking the money people pay in premiums, copays, deductibles, etc would go much further if it was all put towards a single payer monolith that would cut out the overhead of for-profit systems

Serf
May 5, 2011

Frijolero posted:

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/874635108891938816

When a wackadoo has better foreign policy than the "left" party. :allears:

do nothing, leave it be, stop selling weapons to anyone and withdraw all military forces

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

zegermans posted:

y'all gonna keep fuckin around with me
and turn me back to the old me
DON'T DEAD
OPEN INSIDE

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Schumer cant whip for poo poo lmao cmon you old sleaze even Pelosi kept her herd of cats in line on this

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Serf posted:

do nothing, leave it be, stop selling weapons to anyone and withdraw all military forces
Sometimes it's literally better than getting involved and then destabilizing another area for 2 generations

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Tragically even if the US dropped all support I suspect May, Trudeau and Macron would still quite happily sell them the gear.

But without superlative amounts of western support, Saudi Arabia would basically not even be able to defeat the starving militias of the poorest arab state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Agnosticnixie posted:

Tragically even if the US dropped all support I suspect May, Trudeau and Macron would still quite happily sell them the gear.

or putin, for that matter.

• Locked thread