Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Skoll posted:

Bobbin Threadbear has an extremely valid point, but I guess it's just more constructive to GBS shitpost at him cause reasons.

Remember when you were trying to make fun of streamers and custom servers and goons trying to get one lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Remember when you were trying to make fun of streamers and custom servers and goons trying to get one lol

What do you mean "trying" ?

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
DONTs
Do not be a tryhard in this game. Play exclusively to have fun.
Don't ever watch streams, don't talk about streamers. What the gently caress.
Don't post how delicious a chicken dinner was, it's an unfun catchphrase and nobody cares about your score.
Maybe try not to have an average game length of 30+ minutes, try to have fun for once.

DOs
Post fun clips that involve vehicles.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I legit like hearing about peoples awesome chicken dinner wins. I don't care about their stats or any of that KDR bs, but who doesn't love a good war story?

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?

amotea posted:

DONTs
Maybe try not to have an average game length of 30+ minutes, try to have fun for once.

What about people who have fun by being competitive and trying to win? RIDDLE ME THAT, BATMAN

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zo posted:

yeah they couldn't fix the unintended effect of dying inside a house due to redzone explosions owning you through walls/windows, so as a bandaid fix they nerfed the poo poo out of the explosions to the point where they're a joke

which makes this conversation mostly pointless since they'll be buffing the explosions back once they make sure houses are safe

I don't think explosions through windows is necessarily a bad thing, especially if you're standing right next to one. It's happened to me recently and it scares me but honestly I probably should have been knocked out.

The original problem IIRC was explosions straight up happening inside of houses. I got blown the gently caress up from a living room bursting into flames once pre-patch.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

The red zone is bad rear end because you can use the bomb sound as cover to run up inside a guys house and sleep in his bed

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I think we need to address the real issue here: people get really triggered about others teaming up in solo.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Great Beer posted:

I think we need to address the real issue here: people get really triggered about others teaming up in solo.

People like the creator of the game who has said it's a bannable offense if they catch you doing it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Badfinger posted:

People like the creator of the game who has said it's a bannable offense if they catch you doing it.

That's really dumb imo.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Badfinger posted:

He's mad people are teaming up in free for all in a game heavily inspired by a movie about people teaming up in a free for all?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Skoll posted:

That's really dumb imo.

Why?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Great Beer posted:

He's mad people are teaming up in free for all in a game heavily inspired by a movie about people teaming up in a free for all?

It doesn't really work well for the gameplay, which is the most important thing. If you want to play duo or team, there's a separate que for that.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Skoll posted:

That's really dumb imo.

It's just one bad opinion after the next with you, isn't it?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Megasabin posted:

It doesn't really work well for the gameplay, which is the most important thing. If you want to play duo or team, there's a separate que for that.

Tricking people into teaming up with me so I can shotgun them doesn't work when they're afraid of getting banned.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

amotea posted:

DONTs
Don't ever watch streams, don't talk about streamers. What the gently caress.
Don't post how delicious a chicken dinner was, it's an unfun catchphrase and nobody cares about your score.

DOs
Post fun clips that involve vehicles.

I am down with this.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm kinda with Bobbin, I'm finding myself struggling with zeroing/bullet drop mostly because I just don't get enough time shooting at distance targets in this game.
I'd love a training/practice level similar to what Squad has. Doesn't even need any AI.
A bunch of guns and ammo, a kill house with targets to run about in, a firing range with targets and markers to gauge distance.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Which FPS do you think is the most similar to train aim for PUBG? Originally I thought that CS:GO was a good idea, but I've found that CS:GO is not a great deal since most of my friends who reached Global Elite, really suck in this game.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
It's definitely not CS, as it does not have any requirement to lead bullets.

Does have recoil though.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

The term "tryhard" is dumb because no one using it has ever not sounded like a circa-2005 internet edgelord trying to prove how nonchalant and cool they are because putting effort into anything is beneath them.

If you don't want to deal with people raging or whatever that's fair but that's not the same thing as playing to win.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

The term literally describes someone that is trying hard, and it's generally used by players who are outplayed to claim that they only got outplayed because they put in less effort than the enemy (insinuating that they are better than the enemy).

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

It's a loving sandbox game. Enemy of my enemy is my friend. Who gives a poo poo if players make a temporary alliance to work towards their own goals? That's the entire point of survival.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Skoll posted:

It's a loving sandbox game. Enemy of my enemy is my friend. Who gives a poo poo if players make a temporary alliance to work towards their own goals? That's the entire point of survival.

But MY IMMERSION

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Skoll posted:

It's more "one, two, three, queue" isn't allowed. If you can organically make alliances with strangers in solo more power to you but the primary issue is that you can hear people using in-game voice chat in the plane and coordinating their drops.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's more "one, two, three, queue" isn't allowed. If you can organically make alliances with strangers in solo more power to you but the primary issue is that you can hear people using in-game voice chat in the plane and coordinating their drops.

There is literally no way to police an organic alliance vs. coordinating one from the plane, though. You're guilty and not proven innocent right off the bat. poo poo like this is gonna happen in any game of this type and throwing out arbitrary bans because some people don't like it is horseshit, imo. Plus, it won't fix the problem because people will still do it.

In a game where survival is literally the objective, it would be dumb to ban player alliances in Solo. If anything, it would just make things more tense because betrayal can and will come at any second.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

Which FPS do you think is the most similar to train aim for PUBG? Originally I thought that CS:GO was a good idea, but I've found that CS:GO is not a great deal since most of my friends who reached Global Elite, really suck in this game.

ARMA, the ballistics aren't 100% identical but are similar enough, ARMA also has a mission-editor\sandbox mode where you can just place enemy soldiers wherever you want on the huge map and give them movement instructions so you can get to practice tons of poo poo relevant for PUBG.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

ARMA, the ballistics aren't 100% identical but are similar enough, ARMA also has a mission-editor\sandbox mode where you can just place enemy soldiers wherever you want on the huge map and give them movement instructions so you can get to practice tons of poo poo relevant for PUBG.

Thanks for being the one helpful goon

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Croccers posted:

I'm kinda with Bobbin, I'm finding myself struggling with zeroing/bullet drop mostly because I just don't get enough time shooting at distance targets in this game.
I'd love a training/practice level similar to what Squad has. Doesn't even need any AI.
A bunch of guns and ammo, a kill house with targets to run about in, a firing range with targets and markers to gauge distance.

"Targeting range" is a good idea.

Conflating that with "streamers have an unfair advantage because they can run custom servers to practice" is a stupid idea because the people who have access to that are the people with the 10-20% win rate before they implemented custom servers anyway, or people who wouldn't do that because they don't think there's some kind of magic skill boost unlocked by being able to shoutcast custom games.

quote:

The people who run the game and make the rules care. You can random queue into duos and squads as much as you want.

quote:

If they catch you teaming outside of the set squads it's bannable there aren't caveats! I'm sorry this doesn't conform to your nightmare hellscape battle royale world view!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Skoll posted:

There is literally no way to police an organic alliance vs. coordinating one from the plane, though. You're guilty and not proven innocent right off the bat. poo poo like this is gonna happen in any game of this type and throwing out arbitrary bans because some people don't like it is horseshit, imo. Plus, it won't fix the problem because people will still do it.

In a game where survival is literally the objective, it would be dumb to ban player alliances in Solo. If anything, it would just make things more tense because betrayal can and will come at any second.

I mean sure but this fairy tale scenario where you meet a stranger who doesn't immediately try to kill you, has voice unmuted, and has a mic is really loving rare and the actual problem that they're trying to solve is that 99.99% of people grouping in solo are friends who queued at the same time. I'm pretty sure they aren't just straight up banning people who get reported once because they stood next to eachother in a solo game and didn't kill each other immediately.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I honestly hate the "but thats not the way the game is intended to be played!" mindset when you're not even doing something like glitching or modifying files, etc.

Just my hot take. Games supposed to be fun and all but fun is subjective. If I want to team up with a dude in Solo for a circle or two, there's no mechanic in the game preventing that and no game rules are being broken or exploited imo.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I would like to be able to play custom games and hope they find success when they launch to a wider userbase. Running in-house deathmatches in the school and sunken city and such (with respawns!) would be a nice lighthearted way to practice the fightin'

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

practice the fightin'

Im calling the police

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Skoll posted:

I honestly hate the "but thats not the way the game is intended to be played!" mindset when you're not even doing something like glitching or modifying files, etc.

Just my hot take. Games supposed to be fun and all but fun is subjective. If I want to team up with a dude in Solo for a circle or two, there's no mechanic in the game preventing that and no game rules are being broken or exploited imo.

Alright. The developers disagree with you though and making it clear that if you do this you'll be out thirty bucks.

Just wondering: have you ever actually done this?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Space Hamlet posted:

I would like to be able to play custom games and hope they find success when they launch to a wider userbase. Running in-house deathmatches in the school and sunken city and such (with respawns!) would be a nice lighthearted way to practice the fightin'

I have an idea for a custom deathmatch game where the playing area is just a circle of open field with no loot and everyone starts with 5 smokes, a pan, and a ghillie suit. I have no idea if this would be fun or not.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rex-Goliath posted:

Alright. The developers disagree with you though and making it clear that if you do this you'll be out thirty bucks.

Just wondering: have you ever actually done this?

I have not, to be perfectly honest. I actually prefer Duo drops to everything else.

I just don't think it should be a bannable thing because it's a perfectly natural thing to do that is going to be insanely hard, and imo, pointless to police.

E: Just to be perfectly clear, I'm not advocating people trying to syncdrop while in third party comms to game the system.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 13, 2017

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Does playing a female model give an advantage? Like smaller shoulders and thinner body, making you harder to see in some situations and harder to hit?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

Does playing a female model give an advantage? Like smaller shoulders and thinner body, making you harder to see in some situations and harder to hit?

It makes you hornier, higher testosterone, quicker reflexes

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It makes you hornier, higher testosterone, quicker reflexes

I don't get it? Changing your sex makes you horny? Are you transgender or something?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Skoll posted:

E: Just to be perfectly clear, I'm not advocating people trying to syncdrop while in third party comms to game the system.

Alright this is what people are taking issue with as I'm pretty sure making ad-hoc alliances in the field is basically impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rex-Goliath posted:

Alright this is what people are taking issue with as I'm pretty sure making ad-hoc alliances in the field is basically impossible.

Someone literally said people are plotting alliances while in the plane over open coms.

• Locked thread