Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Soul Glo posted:

Good

It's better to recognize you've poo poo the bed and clean it up rather than to pretend you didn't imo

WotC on a two day streak of doing good things

Agreed. I'm definitely most excited about the "drafts will be large sets by themselves" change, since I pretty much always just lost interest once the subsequent small set(s) would come out and dilute the draft environment. It almost never felt as good as just 3x Large, so I'll probably be drafting a lot more online now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

quote:

Here, for example, is data compiling the last several weeks of Magic Online Competitive Standard Leagues (which is a sample size many times larger than a weekend of Grand Prix events).

drat lol

quote:

Finally, we're very aware the toll these bannings take on players and the game. We would not have made this move if we didn't believe it wasn't better for the long-term health of the game (Marvel would, after all, not rotate until late in 2018). Furthermore, when we moved to our new B&R schedule to allow us more flexibility, we oversaturated the game with these points where we may or may not ban things, leading to uncertainty in the community. But at some point—and we may have already gotten there—banning fatigue sets in.

As such, we're going to pull back on these announcements. We will not have another banned and restricted announcement until after Pro Tour Hour of Devastation. The next announcement will be on August 28.

"Death's Shadow is safe for most of the modern PPTQ season, have fun!"

e:

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Holy poo poo they actually did it.

So what's the field in Standard now?

Mardu
Temur energy
Ur emerge
BG variants
Zombies (?)

I really hope there's a Grixis deck that plays Kalitas because that is extremely my poo poo and also it gets a Bolas in a few weeks.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Sickening posted:

At least they are doing what is required to fix things. I hope all the people whose opinions got us into this mess are eating humble pie.

Sam Stoddard still has a job, so no.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Well, I don't think I'll be buying into whatever the top Standard deck is for the next couple of years at least.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Unironically a reasonable life choice imo.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

Is this what Type 2 was like in 2004? Bannings every month?

no, there were two bannings in mirrodin's time in standard. in the first, skullclamp got banned; there were actually multiple archetypes that could win(affinity, Elf&Nail, Goblins), but they were all clamp decks. Then they nuked affinity from orbit when Saviors came out, so like only 3 months before affinity was going to rotate anyway

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Agreed. I'm definitely most excited about the "drafts will be large sets by themselves" change, since I pretty much always just lost interest once the subsequent small set(s) would come out and dilute the draft environment. It almost never felt as good as just 3x Large, so I'll probably be drafting a lot more online now.

:same: , but if people here didn't trust their ability to not overlook screw-ups with only a couple large sets a year, I don't know how they wouldn't overlook more things like cat-twin more often.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So that Magic Digital Next article they were talking about? Literally nothing.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/magic-digital-next-update-2017-06-13

"Wait until Hascon to find out about the new program with a playable demo!"
"Oh also Magic Duels isn't being updated anymore"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GonSmithe posted:

So that Magic Digital Next article they were talking about? Literally nothing.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/magic-digital-next-update-2017-06-13

"Wait until Hascon to find out about the new program with a playable demo!"
"Oh also Magic Duels isn't being updated anymore"

If marvel wasn't banned today their announcements for the day would have been a wet fart. I was not let down by the digital next article though. Its just what I expected. (Nothing)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Magic Duels is 20x the digital platform that MTGO is currently

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

DariusLikewise posted:

They've got another duels like product in the wings, it just won't be named duels.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Aww I was hoping to see what happened to modern with stone forge unbanned but ah well

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

DariusLikewise posted:

:agreed:

Cactrot posted:

They've got another duels like product in the wings, it just won't be named duels.

It's so far out that they can't tell us anything at all about it, so killing the current program effective immediately is pretty bad.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Ya'll didn't play during Urza's Block, but combo winter actually almost killed magic. If you didn't play Academy, or run maindeck artifact hate (my fave was Meltdown), it was actual hell on earth to play magic. The only saving grace was that cards weren't as available, so only a few people had the full on decks (and those nerds were netdecking Dojo dorks).

I think this year in Standard is actually worse because the hivemind tuning decks and the availability of cards in general.

Hot Take: Play kitchen table magic, forsake tournaments, build a bunker and praise Emrakul.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Maybe I imagined this, but I thought digital next was more of an initiative for magic's digital products than one single code name for a specific product.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I just want a modern version of Shandalar that I can play multiplayer with.

Allstone posted:

Aww I was hoping to see what happened to modern with stone forge unbanned but ah well

It should happen but never will. Same for Jace.

Screw Bloodbraid.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Allstone posted:

They weren't gonna make big changes to modern right before GP Vegas.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Cactrot posted:

Maybe I imagined this, but I thought digital next was more of an initiative for magic's digital products than one single code name for a specific product.

It is, but they have also referred to their new program as Digital Next, so it caused some confusion.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Holy poo poo they actually did it.

So what's the field in Standard now?

Ur emerge

I've been playing this deck through two bans, come at me!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Cactrot posted:

It's both because it's a meaningless buzzword tossed around by the same out-of-touch people who think an MMORPG is the way to go in 2017.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

They weren't gonna make big changes to modern right before GP Vegas.

They wouldn't have gone into effect until Monday, but imagine having to hold your cards for one GP when you know they'd be worthless the day after.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i still can't believe they're trying to break into the MMO market, but who know maybe the sales in Korea justify it

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So what gets banned next when people get sick of losing to it? Heart of Kiran? Winding Constrictor? Flash Hulk?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Holy crap, what a terrible year for standard. It's really remarkable that they were able to have relatively good stretches of time where things didn't need to be banned, and now all of a sudden they poo poo the bed like 3 times in short succession.

Banning 5 distinct cards in standard is kind of insane.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

So what gets banned next when people get sick of losing to it? Heart of Kiran? Winding Constrictor? Flash Hulk?

none of those can win the game on turn 4 from any position so i think we're good now

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm concerned with the next B&R moving to August that confidence to buy into Grixis Shadow is going to be very high and thus even more prevalent.

I think the meta is decent now but I'm expecting even more of a surge in Shadow now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Good gently caress Marvel. Kaladesh was a stupid set that pushed every threat or enabled one but no real answers. SOI had somewhat the same problem.

If graveyard or artifacts or energy matters then you NEED a way to interact with it to disrupt it or it's not fun.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 13, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Temur Energy isn't T1 anymore if Marvel isn't in the field.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Tales of Woe posted:

none of those can win the game on turn 4 from any position so i think we're good now

I mean they got torched by cards that just do unfun poo poo for what turns out to be way too cheap.

Getting Mindslavered sucks.
Your opponent getting turn 4 Ulamog sucks.
Instant win combos suck.
Bouncing your dude for a whole turn cycle sucks.

Copter is the exception to that, but I suspect copter isn't a safe unban either.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
https://twitter.com/ChannelFireball/status/874644814788046848

CFB offering full refunds on Marvels purchased in the last 30 days.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Banning 5 distinct cards in standard is kind of insane.

Yeah, I remember playing during Affinity Standard and even with how bad that was, them banning the Artifact Lands, Disciple AND Ravager was absolutely mindblowing. Everyone only expected a Ravager/Disciple ban, banning that many cards in one Standard was unheard of.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tales of Woe posted:

So Snake and Heart, got it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Temur Energy isn't T1 anymore if Marvel isn't in the field.

i like how it was part of their justification for the ban lol, "hey this other deck is good and there def isn't any reason to think the environment might change with one of the top decks banned so just play that instead"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Temur Energy is probably going to turn back into Jund Energy and replace the blue cards with Snake and Green Gearhulk.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I really don't understand the people clamoring for a Death's Shadow ban already. It seems like with the recent bannings, people now just want to ban the best deck every B&R update, even if it's just 10% of the meta and not oppressive at all.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Bonus posted:

I really don't understand the people clamoring for a Death's Shadow ban already. It seems like with the recent bannings, people now just want to ban the best deck every B&R update, even if it's just 10% of the meta and not oppressive at all.

I play Grixis Death's Shadow and sometimes it does feel like you're getting away with something. I'm not fully on the ban train but it's definitely a deck with a powerful gameplan that you can't really disrupt or hate on with a few sideboard slots. The only deck that I ever feel like I'm an underdog against is Burn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
WotC's track record with artifact sets forcing multiple Standard bannings remains intact!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bonus posted:

The crowd has had a taste of blood, and now believes that if the complaints are loud enough, they can bend wotc to their whims.

Basically expect to see a lot of people saying "they should ban {thing I don't like playing against}" until wizards manages to make a Standard that doesn't suck and we get back to "no bans" being the norm.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bonus posted:

Some people will ask for a ban for anything. The last open results weren't anything egregious. The day two meta was still a thing of beauty. The sheer number of unique decks is still pretty unrivaled. A deck showing up with 13 copies day two and putting 4 of those in the top8 is not anywhere close to banworthy.

Hell, I think you give the majority of good players in the room skred red to play for the open and skred is making the loving top8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I have it built too, and it's certainly very powerful. Just like any deck, it might see a ban if it completely dominates the format, but that's nowhere near true right now. People just like to go online and shout to ban decks constantly. Just goes to show how ban happy people are recently. When pod was banned, it was completely dominating the format and people were surprised, but now people expect the top deck to be banned constantly, which is opposite of what is good for the format.

Also, I think Junk can be pretty hard to beat as GDS. I played against it yesterday and got my rear end handed to me; the combination of Path to Exile, Abrubt Decay, Lingering Souls and Liliana of the Veil is often too much for the deck to deal with.