Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

It will change to a tune of intimidation and voter suppression and violence.

They tried this in 2012 and the response was minority communities turning out to vote in record numbers. Basically, their attitude was "Suppress my vote? Well, gently caress you, I'm gonna vote anyway".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Spiritus Nox posted:

It will change to a tune of intimidation and voter suppression and violence.

Change?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

They tried this in 2012 and the response was minority communities turning out to vote in record numbers. Basically, their attitude was "Suppress my vote? Well, gently caress you, I'm gonna vote anyway".

We didn't have fascists in the white house and DOJ in 2012.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Night10194 posted:

The thing is, how did 'Oh, it was just Martha Coakley' end up working out for the dems?

Not well.

Elizabeth Warren has that seat now, right?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

evilweasel posted:

Pence definitely will if given the chance, but he needs the 50 people to back up his ruling. There's no indication he has that.

Why wouldn't they? If 50 Republicans back up the bill, in what works do they not back up the VP saying they can vote on it?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Night10194 posted:

The thing is, how did 'Oh, it was just Martha Coakley' end up working out for the dems?

Not well.

Wait, what? Coakley lost both her elections--2010 for Senate and 2014 for Governor.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why wouldn't they? If 50 Republicans back up the bill, in what works do they not back up the VP saying they can vote on it?

The Byrd Rule isn't just a rule of the Senate. It's law. They'd need to be willing to break the law, and a lot of them have said on the record they're not willing to go there.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, Rosenstein made it pretty clear he'll resign rather than follow the order. Well, not so much that he'll resign, he'll just ignore the order and if Trump doesn't like it he can fire Rosenstein. At that point he would have to start going down the list of career people rather than political appointees, I think, so he might have to go real far down before he gets someone who will follow the order.
Nah, Associate AG is 4th in line and a Trump appointee. He'd lose Rosenstein and some rando Acting Solicitor

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

evilweasel posted:

The Byrd Rule isn't just a rule of the Senate. It's law. They'd need to be willing to break the law, and a lot of them have said on the record they're not willing to go there.

Isn't it the law that the VP can overrule the parliamentarian?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
For what it's worth, Rosenstein is testifying right now: http://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-live-rod-rosenstein-speaks-with-senate-appropriations-committee-livestream/

I'm excited for Keebler Klansmen in Kongress later on!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

and then regressives tried harder in 2016 and were successful.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alter Ego posted:

Wait, what? Coakley lost both her elections--2010 for Senate and 2014 for Governor.

I'm saying 'telling ourselves it was just her being a bad candidate and losing to Scott Brown sure as hell didn't help us prepare for 2010 and won't help the GOP afford the reaming that is hopefully coming their way.'

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xes9wMLV-LI

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Can't Mike Pence just overrule the parliamentarian?

You can, but that bumps the Byrd Rule and you'd need 60 votes instead of 50.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Isn't it the law that the VP can overrule the parliamentarian?

Yes.

Another way to think of it might be it's not just breaking the law, but it's (in practice) abolishing the filibuster, which is something Republicans have not been willing to do. They'd rather pass nothing and keep the filibuster.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

evilweasel posted:

The goal would be to refocus national attention on what is going on. I think they should do it, but starting after the Sessions hearing/sanctions vote.

There is no public text and it is already very underwater. I disagree that this isn't already a major national story.... and doubt that toothless Dem Obstruction will make it a bigger story than the Nixon speedrun.

mcmagic posted:

I don't think process stories really break through to voters who aren't already plugged in. They should deny consent and shut down the senate to prevent bad things from being passed.

Alter Ego posted:

Yes. It's one thing to pointlessly hold out on a Cabinet or sub-Cabinet nominee that has widespread approval, but this is something that should be done on principle. This bill will kill people, plain and simple, and Democrats better do anything they can to stop it becoming law.

But... they can't? Like, if they could shut down the senate, that would be one thing. At most, they can gum up the works and delay things a short bit. I don't believe they can even delay until the recess-literally, you can annoy GOP senators who are not working on a tight timeline anyway.

So what's the endgame? Again, it's toothless obstruction.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They don't want to hand that tool back over to the Dems. And they're right to not want to-because they'd start ramming that down their throats in 2020. Dems will go nuclear and everything else, but they won't be the first across that bridge.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Blaming Democrats for every bad thing the Republicans do is the favorite pastime of the left.

e: Joementum has a take on this:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/874646655232028672

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 13, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paracaidas posted:

There is no public text and it is already very underwater. I disagree that this isn't already a major national story.... and doubt that toothless Dem Obstruction will make it a bigger story than the Nixon speedrun.

Not a single major newspaper had it on their front page. It's underwater, but fire isn't being directed at the weaker votes on the bill and Republicans are very, very open about the fact that public backlash may cost them the votes they need.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

Pence definitely will if given the chance, but he needs the 50 people to back up his ruling. There's no indication he has that.

You think Mitch McConnell gives a poo poo?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, Rosenstein made it pretty clear he'll resign rather than follow the order. Well, not so much that he'll resign, he'll just ignore the order and if Trump doesn't like it he can fire Rosenstein. At that point he would have to start going down the list of career people rather than political appointees, I think, so he might have to go real far down before he gets someone who will follow the order.

I wonder which he'll find first: an order-follower or someone who plays along for long enough to get Trump to directly incriminate himself before finally saying nope.

Comedy option: someone who promises to remove Mueller from the Russia investigation and fulfills that promise only to immediately appoint him to investigate the White House's role in obstruction of justice.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

When will this madness END?

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/874646427091251201

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

But... they can't? Like, if they could shut down the senate, that would be one thing. At most, they can gum up the works and delay things a short bit. I don't believe they can even delay until the recess-literally, you can annoy GOP senators who are not working on a tight timeline anyway.

So what's the endgame? Again, it's toothless obstruction.

Then you gum up the works. You delay, you filibuster, you force roll call votes, I don't care if you get pizzas delivered on the floor. Every day this bill isn't law is another day it's not hurting people. You do WHATEVER YOU loving CAN. This right here? This is why you keep your goddamn powder dry.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

You think Mitch McConnell gives a poo poo?

Yes. They spent a lot of time shooting down this idea already. I think McConnell is completely fine with this bill going down in defeat and would rather that happen than the filibuster be effectively abolished.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Donald J Trump,

Tomorrow is June 14th, 2017. On this day, I will turn 35 years old.

I have one request for my birthday. Please loving fire Jeff Session when he refuses to end his recusal and terminate Robert Mueller. Then fire Rod Rosenstein and then fire Dana Buente when neither of them agree to fire Robert Mueller. Once you've laid the hat trick and found Robert Bork Jr to agree to fire him, I want you to go on TV and assure the nation that Russia is our friend, and that you did not collude, but even if you did it wouldn't be a big deal, because it's good to cooperate with your partners.

Do all of that on my loving birthday, please Donald Jayronymous Trumpletonsville III. Do it please. Do it.

do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

My boner would never go away.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

98% of it is because Donnie is pissed that his last name isn't King.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SK's humor has always been an underrated aspect of his work. I bet he'd be a fun conversation.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

I'm starting to think those people who say this sort of thing is unconstitutional have a point. Blocking someone from sending the President tweets is one thing, but blocking them from reading official White House statements sounds pretty loving dictatorial.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Chilichimp posted:

Donald J Trump,

Tomorrow is June 14th, 2017. On this day, I will turn 35 years old.

I have one request for my birthday. Please loving fire Jeff Session when he refuses to end his recusal and terminate Robert Mueller. Then fire Rod Rosenstein and then fire Dana Buente when neither of them agree to fire Robert Mueller. Once you've laid the hat trick and found Robert Bork Jr to agree to fire him, I want you to go on TV and assure the nation that Russia is our friend, and that you did not collude, but even if you did it wouldn't be a big deal, because it's good to cooperate with your partners.

Do all of that on my loving birthday, please Donald Jayronymous Trumpletonsville III. Do it please. Do is.

do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

My boner would never go away.

June 14 is also Donald Trump's birthday

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

I wonder which he'll find first: an order-follower or someone who plays along for long enough to get Trump to directly incriminate himself before finally saying nope.

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF TRUMP INCRIMINATES HIMSELF

HE HAS ALREADY INCRIMINATED HIMSELF REPEATEDLY, ON A LOT OF ISSUES

THE GOP DOES NOT AND WILL NEVER CARE

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The other reason for the Pence thing is if they do that, suddenly all of the "we can't do that, it can't pass reconciliation" arguments they used to get the HFC to drop various demands suddenly collapses. If they overrule the Parliamentarian on one thing, why not on all the things? It opens a huge can of worms, much more than you'd think.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

nachos posted:

Disturbingly yuge if true

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

nachos posted:

God Damnit!

I must be his loving horcrux. Neither can live until the other is impeached.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF TRUMP INCRIMINATES HIMSELF

HE HAS ALREADY INCRIMINATED HIMSELF REPEATEDLY, ON A LOT OF ISSUES

THE GOP DOES NOT AND WILL NEVER CARE

Still genuinely don't understand why the depressed nothing matters people even follow politics anymore instead of doomsday prepping or some poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How much time does Trump spend on twitter blocking people? Does it take extra effort to protect your tweets from someone?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
trump blocking everyone on twitter

https://twitter.com/votevets/status/874599756143755264

hes the loving president

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Still genuinely don't understand why the depressed nothing matters people even follow politics anymore instead of doomsday prepping or some poo poo.

Self-flagellation has been a thing for centuries, nay, millennia, comrade

Now let's hear how this is all the Democrats' fault :allears:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Chilichimp posted:

God Damnit!

I must be his loving horcrux. Neither can live until the other is impeached.
If it helps, me and my brother-in-law also have birthdays on June 14.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LaserShark posted:

I'm starting to think those people who say this sort of thing is unconstitutional have a point. Blocking someone from sending the President tweets is one thing, but blocking them from reading official White House statements sounds pretty loving dictatorial.

There's also the issue of Presidential statements being issued via a private corporation with no accountability or security requirements whatsoever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sinteres posted:

The same reason the Bad Dems thread exists, they're bored and addicted to performative outrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Cheesus posted:

If it helps, me and my brother-in-law also have birthdays on June 14.

Time for the June 14th babies to come together and sacrifice ourselves to bring about the immortal emperor to strike down the tangerine tyrant.

• Locked thread