Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I just watched an "honest trailer" for Automata where they refer to Pascal as Rockem Sockem Feelbot and now I'm not going to bed because I'm laughing too hard.

also, Nier characters just got announced to get added into Final Fantasy Brave Exvius (the mobile game)! 2B is the rare and probably good one, 9S is uncommon, and the common unit is for some reason Operator 21O?

That's the operator you fight as a boss on the soul box, iirc.

So when do we get Nier Automata Theatrhythm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

existence is still worth fighting and dying for.

i've been to earth and i'm pretty sure this is wrong.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i've been to earth and i'm pretty sure this is wrong.

Well duh the humanity that makes it worthwhile is on the moon :yokotaro:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Turns out, the humanity on the moon was the friends we made along the way.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have only one word to say the moon to be quite honest with you

and it's "hello"

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/874092883535593472

https://twitter.com/Reddo_Demon/status/874093612077854720/photo/1

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I enjoyed Route B more than Route A and never got the complaints that it was 'playing through the same thing'. You get new plot-critical scenes, new sidequests, a new playstyle, and different context for the storyline of Route A. It's only the same on the surface.

Persona 5 disappointed me honestly. Really good game but the writing was uneven and kind of bad at times.

Automata lived up to the frankly unrealistic expectations Nier 1 set for it, and I still find that shocking. I haven't played Breath of the Wild yet but that's the only thing that could possibly top Automata for my GotY right now.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
You could strip out all the additions in Route B prior to the split after Grun and it would still be worth it for being told about how much we want to **** 2B

Also the whole factory sequence as 9S was great.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I was kind of annoyed that there were sidequests that didn't show up on the map, so I ended up talking to most NPCs after every single plot point by the time I got started on the B route. It was annoying that not a whole lot changed during that time, and I kinda wish they had abridge the stuff that wasn't any different.

Still haven't been able to sit down and get ending E, but in general I feel like the game's highs aren't as high as the first Nier's, but its lows aren't nearly as low. The big plot twist with the Shadowlord with Devola, Popola and Noir is just straight up Bad Writing and ruins a large chunk of that game's plot, while Automata doesn't really have a twist like that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My main problem with the twist in the first NIER was once you get "Oh, the Shades have feelings", that's kinda it. All the added scenes with the Shades were pretty much the same thing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, that too. The shades being the real people is fine as a twist, but they got pretty on the nose with it a lot. At one point someone says "You guys are the real monsters!" like, I get it game. There's also some nonsense scenes with that too, like the apparent giant pile of babies right outside the ballroom lategame.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

KamikazePotato posted:

I enjoyed Route B more than Route A and never got the complaints that it was 'playing through the same thing'. You get new plot-critical scenes, new sidequests, a new playstyle, and different context for the storyline of Route A. It's only the same on the surface.

Persona 5 disappointed me honestly. Really good game but the writing was uneven and kind of bad at times.

Automata lived up to the frankly unrealistic expectations Nier 1 set for it, and I still find that shocking. I haven't played Breath of the Wild yet but that's the only thing that could possibly top Automata for my GotY right now.

Its more playing through the same story beats from a different perspective which doesn't really change until the back half. On top of the introduction to hacking, which is pretty fun as far as hacking minigames go, but constantly breaks combat flow compared to 2B. While you can get through combat encounters without having to hack, especially if you set 2B to blend, it isn't as fun as doing it yourself.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

My main problem with the twist in the first NIER was once you get "Oh, the Shades have feelings", that's kinda it. All the added scenes with the Shades were pretty much the same thing.

The real meat it adds to the story though is Tyrann and recontextualizing Kainé's character development

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok I just finished the part where the space bunker blows up and you find out you're the only two left or w/e

Then I think credits rolled but I can't keep track because that keeps happening. I just want to do the main play throughs. Don't care about any others, and don't care about side quests or 100% any of that in the least.

How far along am I say percentage wise?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok I just finished the part where the space bunker blows up and you find out you're the only two left or w/e

Then I think credits rolled but I can't keep track because that keeps happening. I just want to do the main play throughs. Don't care about any others, and don't care about side quests or 100% any of that in the least.

About two thirdsish?

The last part's a downhill rush, though, especially if you ignore sidequests.

Buckle up. This is where things really get going.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

K thanks

Yeah that's what everyone keeps saying phew ready to finish this game

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding and you just hosed up, those weren't ending credits. Those were opening credits. As if the game itself is telling you this is where it really gets going.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I must be one of the few that wasn't particularly affected by the title screen. It really wasn't the beginning of anything, it was just the final act. Apparently people were totally blown away by it, but I'm just not seeing it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mean, I thought it was cool, but...

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Where's the best place to farm Pearls?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It was pretty drat cool actually.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The section itself was just super cool and the scene was well put together. The title drop is just cherry on top

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

SirPhoebos posted:

Buy them from the Amusement Park merchant.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If I died during one of the flight segments I lose all my chips right? I died twice during the flooded city one and don't want to to continue if that meant my chips are gone.

Edit: cool I do not. Good to know I don't have to do all this route b stuff again.

Len fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 13, 2017

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

For regular pearls you can buy them at the amusement park somewhere along route C. For black pearls, any you don't get from sidequests you'll have to scan for in the flooded city.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Somebody said black pearls are at the amusement park shop after you beat route C/D.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Tarezax posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding and you just hosed up, those weren't ending credits. Those were opening credits. As if the game itself is telling you this is where it really gets going.

Ah right yeah that makes sense!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wish this game were a little more generous with the rare enemy spawns and item spawns. Like I'm at 93% Unit Data but getting that last 2% just to complete the Reconnaissance Squad quest to get more Elaborate Gadgets while still also having to farm Simple Gadgets anyways just to upgrade Pod C feels like a bit much.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Just buy the cheevo, my dude.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Look Sir Droids posted:

Just buy the cheevo, my dude.
I might do that, but it's a bit annoying when most of the rest of the game is fairly reasonable about this kind of thing.

I was looking forward to my fully upgraded Pod army. :smith:

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Momomo posted:

I must be one of the few that wasn't particularly affected by the title screen. It really wasn't the beginning of anything, it was just the final act. Apparently people were totally blown away by it, but I'm just not seeing it.

Snak posted:

Yeah, I mean, I thought it was cool, but...

Route C Spoilers:
The end of the bunker segment directly into the "Designed by Platinum Games" opening credits is my favorite single moment in any game. Every character-building moment throughout Routes A&B leads up to that speech by the Commander. The normally calm 2B freaks out a little when she realizes that not even the Commander will survive the massacre. There is no backup, and no leadership remains to take control of YoRHa. YoRHa felt like they were about to win the war, and then they were almost entirely eliminated.

Meanwhile, 9S knows that none of this stuff really matters anyways and is precariously close to a meltdown if anything were to happen to his precious 2B.

It feels like there is about to be a break in the action, but then the flight unit section begins and stuff continues happening. It doesn't stop. No one stops....

Perhaps I hyped it up too much, but I think the pacing of the moment deserves the praise.

The title screen occurs after the white machine structure emerges from the ground. I'm not as fond of that moment, but I think it works well for giving players a breather after over an hour of everything going to poo poo.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I hope the 3rd Nier game will be about Hamelin and the Crusades against the Legion.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Surprised the concert reading by the actors who played 2B and 9S wasn't posted yet. It's pretty fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ08khNM1Fg

There's 4 more acts after that.

Major spoilers though, even in the very beginning. Don't listen until after you finished the game.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 14, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It was posted a few pages back. It is very worth listening to and pretty impressive that they did that with no reading beforehand - it was the first time they had read it so that they could be surprised as they did it. But yeah, spoilerific.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

"Oh I'll just finish route b and go to bed"

Then route c started. I knew things were going to go to poo poo but goddamn.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ya I'm about where you are. Taking it all in

Did they really have to include the cliche "character moves slowly here's a countdown" mission thing. Because gently caress that poo poo the when you're infected and moving slowly

Not as bad as the forest in Zelda BOTW tho

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ya I'm about where you are. Taking it all in

Did they really have to include the cliche "character moves slowly here's a countdown" mission thing. Because gently caress that poo poo the when you're infected and moving slowly

Not as bad as the forest in Zelda BOTW tho
That only bothered me when I somehow got knocked all the way down by the City Ruins: Cave Access Point and couldn't climb up the ladder there because of the infection.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lmao that same exact thing happened to me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think that happened to almost everyone.

In fact I bet it was intentional. Some tester probably brought it up and Yoko Taro was like "that's, great, keep that in"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

It didn't happen to me, because I realized what was happening and immediately mapped out a route that didn't require me to jump and avoided enemies as much as possible the whole way.