Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Gunjin posted:

You need a better mount:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/612490-REG/Chief_LTMU_FUSION_Micro_Adjustable_Tilt_Wall.html

I know they are a bit pricey, but they're so easy to work with, and there is plenty of space to route cables. Chief mounts are all we'll use at work now. They are also good and solid, and don't have any lovely sharp edges.

I hate cheap mounts.

150 for that mount is a terrible waste of money and you can find similar for about 30-35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

KKKLIP ART posted:

150 for that mount is a terrible waste of money and you can find similar for about 30-35.

Keep thinking that, there's a reason the cheap mounts are cheap, they're never as well constructed or user friendly. We hang a few hundred monitors a year, and i wouldn't use anything else.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I can't argue the quality but all the cheap mounts I've used couldn't be easier to install.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I'm probably more sensitive than most just because we do so many, and I've wasted too much time on lovely no name mounts in the past.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Mount talk a bit late, I bought two of these last week:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012S4APK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Today I get to replace all the smoke detectors in my old house. Upgrading the battery units to wireless and tying them into the other half of the house that has hard-wired units.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

This is the best TV mount I've ever used, and it's still relatively cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CTV060/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

I watched their mounting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmyz478Li6Q

I bought a cheap mount from monoprice when I mounted my TV and it worked fine, but that level of adjustment is certainly tempting. Especially the ability to easily level the mount after bolting it to the wall.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Gunjin posted:

Keep thinking that, there's a reason the cheap mounts are cheap, they're never as well constructed or user friendly. We hang a few hundred monitors a year, and i wouldn't use anything else.

Jesus I hope your work didn't pay $150 for mounts and you just randomly linked the product. Y'all received distributor pricing right!?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Gunjin posted:

I get that, but I've hung about 7 or 8 TVs over the last couple of years with Monoprice mounts. Sure, some of them aren't as adjustable, but we can be honest that most people who hang their TV hang it and never think about it again.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Jesus I hope your work didn't pay $150 for mounts and you just randomly linked the product. Y'all received distributor pricing right!?

Yeah, we don't pay retail. I just picked a B&H link because it was the first one that popped up, and they're a reliable online retailer.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I watched their mounting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmyz478Li6Q

I bought a cheap mount from monoprice when I mounted my TV and it worked fine, but that level of adjustment is certainly tempting. Especially the ability to easily level the mount after bolting it to the wall.

The adjustability is great, we've got a few buildings where for various reasons (unions) the facilities people have to hang the bracket, then we come behind and hang the TV, and let's just say they aren't the best at making things level. The ability to offset it on the rods is nice too, it's relevant more often than one would think.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
As of yesterday. No lawn. No driveway. No final inspections.

New furniture delivery Wednesday. Movers on Thursday. Good thing we planned a week buffer.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm super happy for you -- I've been following this thread off and on since the beginning, since I would have loved to build my own house but simply would have gone crazy in the process.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Just sent off an email to the builder with the list of stuff to finish, for your enjoyment:

The left AC condenser doesn't turn on.

Kitchen sink isn't working (maybe there's a valve I didn't see?)

There's a hole in the wall in the playroom behind the door. Looks like the light switch got moved and never patched.

Are the kitchen outlets supposed to have green instead of red lights? (maybe that's normal?)

I got the new faucet in to replace the leaking one upstairs

Would it be possible to put some shelves in the upstairs bathroom next to the shower in that weird space? There is no way I'd get those angles right.

The master shower only has 2 shelves instead of the three. That's fine the way it is, but let's make sure we only pay for two.

There is a missing outlet behind the wood stove (there are box/wires there, just not an outlet)

Microwave outlet - Let's go ahead and drill a hole towards the middle, we won't have the unit soon.

Looks like the painter was still working since there were a bunch of places being patched, here's a list of a few things besides those:

The threshold to the studio isn't stained.

The baseboards are pulling away from the wall in a few spots, probably just caulk it up?

Paint the attic hatch

The boards under the hearth need to be stained.

Behind master shower needs painting

There's a bunch of paint splatter under the front and back doors.

And you know about these already:

Grass seeding
Shower Door
Driveway Paving
Broken basement window (I didn't look, maybe it was done)
Broken front hall light
Master bedroom TV conduit

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

All our light switches have green indicator lights to help find them at night (no green indicator when it's on). The fans switches are off when off and red when on.

Green is nicer at night, like fireflies.

Top - Light On
Middle - Light Off
Bottom - Fan On

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was just in Tokyo and the tap water was amazing.

Also the water pressure at the hotel was amazing. I enjoyed the toilet seat that sprayed my brown eye as well.

A++++ would poop again

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

peanut posted:

All our light switches have green indicator lights to help find them at night (no green indicator when it's on). The fans switches are off when off and red when on.

These are the outlets.

I'm used to seeing green lights for "all is good" on these things, but maybe it just differs depending on model.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: nevermind, misread what I was replying to

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Did you try pressing in the test button and seeing what it does?

All my gfci outlets are green but that's just anecdotal.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I think it depends on the brand. Current ones are no lights until they trip, then it's red. Last ones were green when on.

Edit: I've also seen red lights on as non tripped.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

MrEnigma posted:

I think it depends on the brand. Current ones are no lights until they trip, then it's red. Last ones were green when on.

Edit: I've also seen red lights on as non tripped.

Playing with the buttons was off on tripped red on reset. I'm guessing it's normal. Overall, this was one of the smaller concerns in the list, just posted again to show Peanut what I meant.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cool, that's probably very helpful for people with switched outlets for floor lamps (gently caress you every rental unit I ever lived in!)

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Gounads posted:

Playing with the buttons was off on tripped red on reset. I'm guessing it's normal. Overall, this was one of the smaller concerns in the list, just posted again to show Peanut what I meant.

Can you pull a brand/model off of them? I just replaced one this weekend and it goes:

Green = on and OK
Off = tripped
Red = wiring/GFI fault

Then of course the old one was:

Off = on and OK (or no power)
Red = tripped

Who needs indicator standards on an electrical safety device?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Or you just fit residual current devices into the switchboard and cover every circuit in your home like we do here in AU. Only wire in my house that doesnt have protection is the underground run to the shed, then from that point every single circuit breaker is an RCD breaker and every wall socket and light fitting is protected.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Ferremit posted:

Or you just fit residual current devices into the switchboard and cover every circuit in your home like we do here in AU. Only wire in my house that doesnt have protection is the underground run to the shed, then from that point every single circuit breaker is an RCD breaker and every wall socket and light fitting is protected.
If I'm understanding you through the different terminology, gfi breakers are becoming more common in newer homes here.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

If I'm understanding you through the different terminology, gfi breakers are becoming more common in newer homes here.

They're still noticeably more expensive than using standard breakers plus a GFCI outlet, though.

But I personally like breakers better than outlets, because there's only one place to go when an outlet stops working, and you don't have to know where the first receptacle is in the circuit to ensure that everything's protected.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They're still noticeably more expensive than using standard breakers plus a GFCI outlet, though.

But I personally like breakers better than outlets, because there's only one place to go when an outlet stops working, and you don't have to know where the first receptacle is in the circuit to ensure that everything's protected.

I think a lot of that depends on the layout. In my barn/shop? Hell yeah breakers. The panel is right by the door.

In the bathroom or kitchen? Hell no, that means I need to go into the basement to reset them.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

I think a lot of that depends on the layout. In my barn/shop? Hell yeah breakers. The panel is right by the door.

In the bathroom or kitchen? Hell no, that means I need to go into the basement to reset them.

We don't do basements in Australia, generally.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Got a driveway.

Still need a curb, but that's going in tomorrow.

Building inspector gave his final sign-off, so we can move in on Thursday.

A lot of that punch list from the other day is still to do.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Got a driveway.

When do we get a video of you attempting to take that Audi TT up this at speed? :getin:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

How much does the person driving the moving truck hate you?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Do you have reflectors on that wooden fence thingy at the turn?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

I'll paint it:
http://mymodernmet.com/vantablack-worlds-blackest-black/

We're planning on adding some of those solar post top lights to those. Reflectors probably wouldn't be a bad idea too.

Boogalo posted:

How much does the person driving the moving truck hate you?

Two Trucks!

Speaking of which, I'm really hoping the asphalt hardens up in time. Yesterday and today are hot, but the nights are going to get into the 50's so I'm thinking we're good.

H110Hawk posted:

When do we get a video of you attempting to take that Audi TT up this at speed? :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFwIlflmk2Y&t=60s

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Personally I think bolting a set of wheels to that side of the car would work better. Then you can do it at speed.

Edit: Does the house face towards the driveway, or back the other way? Are you going to try to put dirt on that giant pile of rocks, and somehow figure out how to mow it?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Gounads posted:

I'll paint it:
http://mymodernmet.com/vantablack-worlds-blackest-black/

We're planning on adding some of those solar post top lights to those. Reflectors probably wouldn't be a bad idea too.

Something like this all the way down the rail would get the point across nicely:

https://www.amazon.com/Kocome-Reflective-Conspicuity-Warning-Red-Fluorescent/dp/B01N9SBGBH/?th=1

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

And then you have my landlord, who apparently decided that slapping a GFCI outlet into every place possibly ever required, ever, was cheaper than, you know, just putting one at the beginning of the circuit and wiring the rest to the load terminals.

The place was built when the only GFCI required was in the bathroom. They came in last year and slammed them into every kitchen outlet, plus the bar outlet, and replaced the bathroom outlet (bathroom and bar are the same breaker, the kitchen outlets are split between 2 breakers, but the kitchen now has 5 GFCIs). No electrical upgrades whatsoever since it was built. :iiam:

There's 850 apartments on this property. They did this in every apartment. :stare:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So other than it being overkill, is there anything wrong with GFCI on literally every outlet?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

KKKLIP ART posted:

So other than it being overkill, is there anything wrong with GFCI on literally every outlet?

Back in the day you avoided putting them on refrigerator circuits so that you didn't spoil your food with a nuisance trip but that might not be current code.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

Back in the day you avoided putting them on refrigerator circuits so that you didn't spoil your food with a nuisance trip but that might not be current code.

I'm like, one or two code versions out of date on actually needing to know this poo poo professionally, but I believe it's still fine to not have them on a fridge outlet if it can be considered a "machine outlet" or whatever the term is.
Basically if it's just used for that appliance, and it's not generally positioned to be usable for other things, like if it's behind the fridge. Same deal used to go for washing machine outlets even in laundry rooms with a sink.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Motronic posted:

I'm like, one or two code versions out of date on actually needing to know this poo poo professionally, but I believe it's still fine to not have them on a fridge outlet if it can be considered a "machine outlet" or whatever the term is.
Basically if it's just used for that appliance, and it's not generally positioned to be usable for other things, like if it's behind the fridge. Same deal used to go for washing machine outlets even in laundry rooms with a sink.

"Dedicated Outlet" is the correct term I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

This is now the code standard in AU. Every circuit in the building must be protected by an Residual Current Device. The original setup when they first came out was a big 200A "Safety Switch" that sat between the meter and the fuses and tripped the entire house out now but these days they've gone to sub circuits so that if the kettle trips out the RCD you dont loose every single circuit in the property.

Its a good system because every single circuit in the property is protected by an RCD, including your lighting circuits in the roof so if you accidentally bang a nail or screw through the cable you dont get BBQ'd by it. The only circuit on my main board that doesnt have an RCD on it is the shed, because thats on its own sub board and every circuit there has an RCD breaker on it.

Havent really had an issue with nuisance trips, Im more likely to trip out that 63A meter isolator if im welding, the spa is heating, the hot water service is on and the AC fires up! Its the biggest single phase 220v supply you can get to a domestic property tho, if i want more i need to get my service upgraded to a 3 phase service which gives me 3x63A phases and 415v if you combine em.

• Locked thread