Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Maarak posted:

There are many true life tales of people getting stranded in far off places from their home and losing use of their native tongue. Doug-e Cooper thinks in Red Room/Lodge ways(the symbolic logic based notes on the case files) for the most part now, and is slowly relearning how to exist in the world.

The problem with this is that Cooper was acting fine all the way up to being transferred through the electrical socket. I think the reason why Coop is acting strange might be because of his shoes that got left behind in the purple room, like he got hosed up in the transfer because only 95% of him made it through. It's worth noting that he left through the socket marked "3" in episode 3, and the telephone pole with the "6" appeared in episode 6. The other socket in the purple room was marked "15", so maybe Cooper has to go back through there in episode 15 to finally get back to normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KyloWinter posted:

This show is hot garbage.

After being called a scumbag for expressing my dislike of the pacing of one plotline of this show I can't wait to see the hot takes you're gonna get :allears:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Best thing on TV in years I'd say, like a new David Lynch movie every week, it's the best. Nothing in art/entertainment works for everybody, it's all good.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

HorseRenoir posted:

The problem with this is that Cooper was acting fine all the way up to being transferred through the electrical socket.

You think so? As far as I remember the only scene where he seemed lucid was the black and white scene with the giant, when he said "I understand".

regulargonzalez posted:

That shuts down my theory pretty definitively.

There are still mysteries no matter how they try and resolve it. How long ago was Dougie created? How can someone that was clearly marginally competent / aware and apparently only nominally functional get Naomi Watts to marry him? Has she never wondered why he has literally no family? Is she a creation too? And the kid?

The waking world of Twin Peaks also operates by dream logic. Remember the Phillip Jeffries scene in FWWM? "We live... inside a dream."

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 13, 2017

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Lord Krangdar posted:

You think so? As far as I remember the only scene where he seemed lucid was the black and white scene with the giant, when he said "I understand".

At the very least, he seemed able to function independently instead of having to waddle around mimicking other people.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

HorseRenoir posted:

At the very least, he seemed able to function independently instead of having to waddle around mimicking other people.

You're right that he wasn't doing any mimicking, but he still seemed to have difficulty doing much besides sitting in that chair. Especially when he tried to talk (except, again, in that black and white scene) he seemed hesitant, like he couldn't quite get the words out.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

That shuts down my theory pretty definitively.

I don't think so, I really like the idea of dougie being inside of mr. C

Whos to say mr C didn't kill an IRL 'dougie' and absorbed him into himself and thus had a ring

oh that dwarf might be BOB, living inside of mr. C and cutting up people with a leather punch!

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLYE7bWAlas

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I don't understand why people keep calling him Joe Rogan or Vin Diesel when he is OBVIOUSLY Sergei from Delocated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBqgpXRX0T4
Also just gonna pipe up that the bystanders at the kid-run-over scene and how they acted and how it was shot just made the whole thing feel like I was watching Tim and Eric. The Spike didn't help, either. To me, this show was always a black comedy with paranormal activity and weird-yet-interesting characters; not much else. Actual-drama like the kid getting run over really doesn't hit me the same way it would in some prestige show like Fargo. Instead it's just darkly comical because it's shot in such a silly way and has such silly acting. The guy in the truck face-palming because he told the kid to go ahead is the best loving part. I laughed super hard! So reading here that people are taking it at face drama value is just weird to me.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 13, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I've been really feeling similarly to this- though I'm not sure its necessarily about getting Dale Cooper back as much as it is about wanting him back. If the murder mystery plotline was more just a vehicle for talking about how America covers up familial abuse, the abuse of women etc. in some ways this Cooper plotline feels like its also talking about something. I couldn't help but draw comparisons to how like, I dunno, Alzheimers patients and stuff like that are just kind of ignored by society. Like oh I just wish Cooper/grandpa was back to the cool charismatic version that took me out to eat cherry pie and taught me life lessons occasionally instead of this one that only seems to have moments of lucidity.

Like if anything this new season is about painful nostalgia can be...or at least that's my impression at the moment. It's a Lynch project that we haven't seen all of yet so who the hell knows.

With all the mention last night of the trauma of war (all two of them), and Dougie's recognizing the boxer on the poster behind his boss as his now-old and weak boss, I think a big theme of this season is the fact that after a big trauma or long enough time, you can't ever really go back to the way things used to be, even if everyone wants to pretend things never changed.

I'm pretty sure if we get full Coop back at all, at the end he's gonna die.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

The problem with this is that Cooper was acting fine all the way up to being transferred through the electrical socket.
He didn't really get back to being in the "real" world around "real" people until after that, though?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Franchescanado posted:

Also, the fact that she's nagging from a a delusion, in an attempt to have any type of control in her life, due to losing her son to suicide works for me. Of course it's over the top, she's suffering from mental issues.

Yeah I was kinda raggin' on her last week but that information made me retroactively sad and ashamed a little. Recontextualized her performance and choices for me. Lynch you gently caress! :argh:

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
So im going to talk a little about color motif's and characters clothing.

I think green symbolizes naivety; the only two characters i can remember seeing it on prominently are duggie and the nice pie highschooler. But its not a particularly prominent color.

The railway traffic light this episode seems super important. Blue, to Yellow, to Red. Blue has been strongly associated with the FBI, investigation, and general goodness. Red has been associated with the lodge, with danger, with being trapped.

Yellow is a harder color to pin down, but I think yellow symbolizes change. My reason for thinking this is because it is quite literally the difference between blue and red on the traffic light. but more importantly its being worn by characters moments before great change; real duggie, before he gets sucked in, is wearing a yellow jacket.

In episode 6 duggies son's pajama's are covered in cars, both upside down and right side up, and the cars are all red and blue. Duggies old car has had explosives planted on it, and a kid has been run over in a hit and run. That kid's wearing some seriously dangerous foreshadowing.

What do you all think these colors are representing?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

mary had a little clam posted:

Yeah I was kinda raggin' on her last week but that information made me retroactively sad and ashamed a little. Recontextualized her performance and choices for me. Lynch you gently caress! :argh:

Would you say you're ashamed of your words and deeds?

E:

Lord Krangdar posted:

His body language, mannerisms, and general demeanor change considerably between being in the Lodge places and being sucked into the real world. I think the transfer affected him more than anything.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 13, 2017

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

mary had a little clam posted:

the more i think about it, the more i'm coming around to this. i was really rubbed wrong by the character the first time we met her. i'm glad they're giving her some depth

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KyloWinter posted:

Please tell us more.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't be surprised if some loose numerology is being incorperated in the series.

Man is 5, episode 5 was mostly human dramas, human suffering (threatenjng sexual assault, drug use, failure, etc.)

The Devil is 6, in which a child was killed, a woman was stabbed to death, a man who's life keeps having trauma sees a child die, Dougie is in danger, several mentions of suicide and grief

And God is 7, so maybe some good stuff?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Franchescanado posted:

And God is 7, so maybe some good stuff?

Yeah but 7 8 9

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah but 7 8 9

Cannibalism

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Confounding Factor posted:

Please tell us more.

The biggest complaint I've heard is that there's no room for any characters to grow because each episode introduces 6 more and two more plot lines. Personally, I love it because I know not everything is going to be tied up or together and I'm interested in seeing how this all plays out. We're a third of the way through and Lynch is still setting the table. I'm assuming the last few episodes are gonna be jaw dropping.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

KyloWinter posted:

"This show is hot!" - Garbage.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The worst thing about this show is people trying to use their autistic STEM brains to try to "understand" it on a mechanical level like you might a Star War or other "nerd" pop culture item

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

The worst thing about this show is people trying to use their autistic STEM pattern-seeking, human brains to try to "understand" it on a mechanical level like you might a Star War or other "nerd" pop culture item

FTFY

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Robotnik Nudes posted:

The worst thing about this show is people trying to use their autistic STEM brains to try to "understand" it on a mechanical level like you might a Star War or other "nerd" pop culture item

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEqhiC4zcGA

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

https://youtu.be/0la5DBtOVNI

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Yep.

But I guess people can keep posting numerological interpretations (hint: David Lynch just likes the number 7) or trying to figure out the mechanics of how the Lodge's work if they enjoy the INTENSE OMINOUS WHOOSHING sound art makes when it flies over their heads.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
One one nine! One one nine!

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Remember that Mark Frost is also involved. He seems to be totally into that kind of pattern making.
Numerology would be super boring for Twin Peaks though IMO.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

drygear posted:

Remember that Mark Frost is also involved. He seems to be totally into that kind of pattern making.
Numerology would be super boring for Twin Peaks though IMO.

Even if he's using numerology it probably wouldn't end up as part of the plot, just a background numbering scheme based on the writer's particular interests.

There's no code to crack for Twin Peaks. It's about the mystery. That's what it started as. It's not about solving the mystery. For all you know the writers don't even know what the solution to the mystery is, unless the suits suddenly demand they come up with one. Twin Peaks is about highlighting mystery, a sense of mystery. Not a detective story where clever viewers can put the pices together and pat themselves on the back. It's about the essence, highlighting the experience of being inside the mystery. Answers just serve to sully the purity of the mystery.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, remember how we never found out who killed Laura Palmer or what that weird red room was? Twin Peaks never answers any of the core mysteries it sets up.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Well we weren't supposed to find out who killed Laura Palmer, that was executives forcing that hand.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

For all you know the writers don't even know what the solution to the mystery is
All 18 episodes are fully filmed, edited, and 100% finished. You still might be right though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
so i'm having fun spotting cameos and such this season, the crime boss "hope you never have a man in your life like that" guy was bugging me until i remembered he was in la noire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6dti1Ou6E0

which made me think how awesome a twin peaks game in the syle of la noire would be

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
He's also the Winkie's guy in Mulholland Drive.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

boner confessor posted:

so i'm having fun spotting cameos and such this season, the crime boss "hope you never have a man in your life like that" guy was bugging me until i remembered he was in la noire

which made me think how awesome a twin peaks game in the syle of la noire would be

Coop: "You killed her! You couldn't stand that she was moving out and you killed her to stop her! ADMIT IT!!!"
Bobby: "What?! That's not how it happened!"
Coop: "Thank you for your time, sir. Have a good day."

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

KyloWinter posted:

You are Chad.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

boner confessor posted:

That game is called Deadly Premonition. Don't play it though, watch this LP instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpYKx9m3NU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

eSporks posted:

Well we weren't supposed to find out who killed Laura Palmer, that was executives forcing that hand.

Good. The reveal was perfect and it led to Lynch making an amazingly good movie.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Good. The reveal was perfect and it led to Lynch making an amazingly good movie.

Yeah, I was talking with a friend about this and honestly I think I'd rather have things as they've played out now than whatever Lynch and Frost's original vision was running for additional seasons back in the day.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
This season is losing a lot of steam

The Dougie poo poo needs to end. And can we please stay in Twin Peaks with the originals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
dougie is the core of season 3!