Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

grimcreaper posted:

Wrong on both accounts.

Morrowind was crap. Oblivion was pretty drat good. Mods made it even better.

People say Morrowind looks bad now, I dunno man, it never actually strained my eyes like Oblivion did at points with it's horrible bloom. That and everyone looked like they were made of play-doh, neat stuff simplified that didn't need to be, the last minute hero of the story just farts around for most of it while you're the one killing monsters and closing gates, horse armor, other bits and bobs. Also it was the most painfully generic setting they could drum up, when the actual concept of Cyrodiil before the game came was really cool and it made it harder to care about any of the world in it.

The Kins posted:

Morrowind's character models were pretty bad, even at launch. Didn't that Rhedd's Heads mod that was everywhere back in the day use the roughly the same number or less polygons than the official heads?

Oh yeah Morrowind wasn't ever a looker, but it feels like it's still visually stronger for me. Morrowind looks old and rough, but Oblivion for me isn't so much that it's that ugly, but it has a feel of a bad transitioning point between the previous style and what came later.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Morrowind's character models were pretty bad, even at launch. Didn't that Rhedd's Heads mod that was everywhere back in the day use the roughly the same number or less polygons than the official heads?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Also it was the most painfully generic setting they could drum up, when the actual concept of Cyrodiil before the game came was really cool and it made it harder to care about any of the world in it.

Witness the home of the Red King Once Interesting

It was probably beyond the technology of the time to make a setting like that at any kind of large scale, but even so I think there were ways they could have handled the transformation of the land better. Instead of the white stone and blue glowiness of the Ayleid ruins, they could look vaguely Southeast Asian or Mesoamerican, remnants of a time when Cyrodiil was a completely different climate. Mankar's Paradise could be an endless jungle instead, a vision of the great and terrible Cyrodiil of ages past.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

dont even fink about it posted:

I have an idea, maybe we could just handle mods like we did for the first 20 years or so and not constantly try to gently caress up the only thing that makes Elder Scrolls games actually good.

If you really want to improve the existing system, put mods on the Workshop with DRM or whatever and add a donate button that confers no extra features. loving done.

Here is my current favorite Day of Infamy mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U925CQ0jsGg

Day of Infamy was originally a modification for Insurgency, which in turn was a monitized version of the Insurgency: Modern Combat mod so uh

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Someone at bethesda is developing a real sense of humour.

https://twitter.com/Pentadact/status/874197935822688258

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

People say Morrowind looks bad now, I dunno man, it never actually strained my eyes like Oblivion did at points with it's horrible bloom. That and everyone looked like they were made of play-doh, neat stuff simplified that didn't need to be, the last minute hero of the story just farts around for most of it while you're the one killing monsters and closing gates, horse armor, other bits and bobs. Also it was the most painfully generic setting they could drum up, when the actual concept of Cyrodiil before the game came was really cool and it made it harder to care about any of the world in it.

Oh yeah Morrowind wasn't ever a looker, but it feels like it's still visually stronger for me. Morrowind looks old and rough, but Oblivion for me isn't so much that it's that ugly, but it has a feel of a bad transitioning point between the previous style and what came later.

A comparison of faces between Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim.

Despite being lower in polygon count, the faces in Morrowind look a lot more distinct, and have more of style to them the faces in Oblivion. The faces in Oblivion all look like they were crafted from the same mold. In Skyrim, though, it seems like they were able to achieve a unique look for each of the races again. The Khajiit and Argonians stand out in particular to me; in Morrowind, the Khajiit look like tigers and Argonians have really distinct horns and flourishes, whereas in Oblivion, it looks like they're dressed up in animal makeup.

That being said, I think there is some stuff that Oblivion does better then Skyrim, and I'm willing to defend it somewhat.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The Kins posted:

better bodies also kept the poly count GENERALLY the same (i think altmer bodies used like 15% more) and looked like actual bodies.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

The Kins posted:

Morrowind was a good game I can't get into, no matter how hard I try or how many gigs of mods I hurl at it.

Same here. I played Oblivion before it, and when I finally went back and tried to play Morrowind, it felt like there were so many things missing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

m2pt5 posted:

Same here. I played Oblivion before it, and when I finally went back and tried to play Morrowind, it felt like there were so many things missing.

I'll tell ya what was missing: Your attacks cause your weapon skill was too low :haw:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Using weapons in morrowind was dumb. Gotta max out them magics and make use of the best enchantment and spell creation systems in the series.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Brainamp posted:

Using weapons in morrowind was dumb. Gotta max out them magics and make use of the best enchantment and spell creation systems in the series.

But in unmodded Morrowind your mana doesn't regenerate and your stamina depletes really quickly if you do anything more than a slow crawl so magic is basically 90% resting and finding places without enemies so you can rest. And then for extra fun the expansion added assassins that ambush you when you sleep and are strong enough to demolish low-level characters.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Max Wilco posted:

A comparison of faces between Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim.

I always made Khajiit in Morrowind because their faces look like 1000x better than the other faces. I use that exact one actually. Second place is Argonian but I never really liked lizards, Dark Elves also look pretty good.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I miss Morrowind's Khajiit because each of the face presets were actually quite different, whereas they're more or less the same in IV and V.

I also miss the way Khajiit and Argonians walked on their toes and had weird bodies in those games, made them look a lot more distinct than the other races and helped sort of differentiate them. Made a lot more sense why everyone was so racist against them compared to IV and V where they're just sort of humans with different faces. I don't miss not being able to wear boots and helmets though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

Day of Infamy was originally a modification for Insurgency, which in turn was a monitized version of the Insurgency: Modern Combat mod so uh

We put mods in your mods so you can pay while you pay

Honestly, outside of getting RNG-gibbed during bombing runs I am pretty impressed with Day of Infamy as an arcade-heavy World War II game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only way unmodded Morrowind was something I was capable of playing without dying of boredom while slowly walking everywhere was because I picked Breton and then lucked into finding the Boots of Blinding Speed early, which my Breton magic resistance let me retain vision through.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
anyone that says bethesda games are MORE buggy now has clearly never attempted to play daggerfall :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only way to play Morrowind is to drop 100 bottles of skooma at once and then fly across the map as you broke the rudimentary physics engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRTUReLBWHA

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Thefluffy posted:

anyone that says bethesda games are MORE buggy now has clearly never attempted to play daggerfall :colbert:

Man Daggerfall was the easiest to game of the elder scrolls series too. Beeline to buying horse with cart. Head to some shitheel crap town you never plan on seeing again. Start murdering guards and chucking their armor in the cart. About an hour of this will leave you with enough money to buy everything in the game.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I found a Daggerfall glitch that would basically let me take my cart's endless inventory into dungeons with me. I never had the guts to take guards on, but cleaning out entire dungeons worth of gear was a lot of fun.

Never got into... what did they call it, void ranging? When you'd glitch your way out of the dungeon geometry and climb around outside of it. Spooky looking poo poo, that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

The only way to play Morrowind is to drop 100 bottles of skooma at once and then fly across the map as you broke the rudimentary physics engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRTUReLBWHA

Working as intended imo

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I think it was Daggerfall that had a starting dungeon that potentially unwinnable because thanks to the game's randomization you could start the game with an iron weapon in a dungeon full of enemies that were immune to damage from iron weapons, or some permutation of that.

Really, as much poo poo as we give modern games for being broken or unbalanced its kind of mind-boggling how broken older games could be especially considering how comparatively simple they are. Like, Final Fantasy 6 has multiple stats and status effects that just straight-up do not work at all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

I think it was Daggerfall that had a starting dungeon that potentially unwinnable because thanks to the game's randomization you could start the game with an iron weapon in a dungeon full of enemies that were immune to damage from iron weapons, or some permutation of that.

Really, as much poo poo as we give modern games for being broken or unbalanced its kind of mind-boggling how broken older games could be especially considering how comparatively simple they are. Like, Final Fantasy 6 has multiple stats and status effects that just straight-up do not work at all.

It's also interesting how much horrendously unbalanced stuff there often was in games. It was on the level of "was this playtested at all?"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Yep. There was either one static spawn of an imp, or a strong likelihood of one spawning. Little, weak fuckers, but they were immune to anything weaker than steel and had a fireball attack that could gently caress you in a tick.

It was also possible to start the game with (I think) an obsidian dagger-- which was both a nasty little weapon and worth an absolutely stupid amount of money for a starting character.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

When Spa day let alone Outdoor Retreat was announced I was hoping there were plants I could grow to achieve enlightenment through incense. This is close enough

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bin Laden, safe in his mountain fortress, enjoys the spoils of war.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

There were some undead in the dungeon and the game had the old fantasy rule where you needed silver weapons to hurt undead and other magical creatures.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

There were some undead in the dungeon and the game had the old fantasy rule where you needed silver weapons to hurt undead and other magical creatures.

This is a big reason why I'm perfectly okay with the steps through Oblivion and onto Skyrim just saying "gently caress it, Hits are hits." and then "You know what else? Hits deal damage."

While I know specialty weapons for specialty enemies is a big part of fantasy, as a player it just reminds me too much of GMs who call you a greedy power gamer for wanting better equipment BEFORE they throw enemies immune to your old stuff at you (Or the ones who get mad because you took the option that lets you hurt werewolves or other regenerating enemies that's a waste of character sheet space 99% of the time).

I did appreciate that Oblivion at least modeled "Once you reach 50 Unarmed, you can punch ghosts to death". Being able to punch a ghost to death through raw manliness is an important baseline, compared to wringing your hand in worry until you stumble across a silver knife to slum it with because your steel greataxe does gently caress all.

EDIT: Which gets me to wondering. Has anybody come across mods that let you punch someone so hard, their ghost pops out. Then you punch their ghost to death?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 14, 2017

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Section Z posted:

EDIT: Which gets me to wondering. Has anybody come across mods that let you punch someone so hard, their ghost pops out. Then you punch their ghost to death?

I don't think so, and now I really want someone to.

Smokebite
May 18, 2017

Section Z posted:

I once used a mod in Oblivion to soul trap a bandit I smacked in with my fists, only to smash the soul gem onto the ground and kill their spirit again.

Man, Unnecessary Violence was a golden mod to use when playing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

I've tried to play Daggerfall a few times, and I know how broken the game can be; not just in terms of bugs and such, but issues with the game design as well.

Here's an interesting oversight/exploit regarding Daggerfall: During character creation, you're given an option to give your character special advantages or disadvantages that will slow or quicken the rate you level at respectively. For example, you can a bonus to hit against certain types of enemies (which will slow your XP gain), but you can choose to have steel armor as a forbidden material (which increases your XP gain.)

Here's the thing: certain traits will override others. You can make a High Elf character and give them Critical Weakness to Paralysis, but since one of the racial traits of the High Elf is immunity to paralysis, choosing the weakness affects nothing. There's another one where if you take Critical Weakness to, say, Shock or Fire (I can't remember what it is exactly), but then take Immunity to Magic, it cancels out all attacks of that type. Essentially, you can game the system by taking multiple disadvantage, but then counter them with a couple of specific advantage and still keep the bar towards faster XP gain.

Bieeardo posted:

Yep. There was either one static spawn of an imp, or a strong likelihood of one spawning. Little, weak fuckers, but they were immune to anything weaker than steel and had a fireball attack that could gently caress you in a tick.

It was also possible to start the game with (I think) an obsidian dagger-- which was both a nasty little weapon and worth an absolutely stupid amount of money for a starting character.
I'm probably wrong, but I don't think you're required to enter the room with the Imp in Privateer's Hold (the starting dungeon).

You are correct about the Ebony Dagger. The key to getting it is selecting it when choosing your background during character creation, though it's only available to certain classes.

Section Z posted:

I did appreciate that Oblivion at least modeled "Once you reach 50 Unarmed, you can punch ghosts to death". Being able to punch a ghost to death through raw manliness is an important baseline, compared to wringing your hand in worry until you stumble across a silver knife to slum it with because your steel greataxe does gently caress all.

On one hand, I like that Oblivion required you to carry a silver weapon in order to fight ghosts, since it helped put a little bit of emphasis on actual role-playing, where you have to consider what you might run into and prepare yourself accordingly.

On the other hand, the one thing I remember being a major pain in the rear end in Oblivion was repairing equipment, so it's a juggle of hoping your weapon lasts long enough, hoping you have enough Repair Hammers, and hoping that the hammers don't break right away. Throw in the the Will-o-the-Wisps and you've got a recipe for frustration.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Max Wilco posted:

I'm probably wrong, but I don't think you're required to enter the room with the Imp in Privateer's Hold (the starting dungeon).

You are not wrong, but it's still a pretty crazy gently caress-you to new players for the starting dungeon to have an enemy that's immune to 90-100% of your weaponry depending purely on character creation choices you've long since made in a vacuum; I'm pretty sure you can't pick up a weapon that hurts it anywhere in the dungeon.

On a completely different note, I just learned about Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3. It rebalances a lot of classes, skills, and items, and adds new battles, skills, and :siren:recruitable cactuars:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrdeR9rwElI&t=87s

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Weirdly reminds me of when Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul was a big thing.

Supposedly made the game more balanced and whatnot.

It also turned the traditional post-intro starter dungeon into an inescapable death trap filled with ghosts you probably couldn't harm at that point.

And more or less gave areas hard level ranges like that was a good idea for some reason?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
OOO was a mod that took me a ton of effort to install properly, so much so that I probably spent more time installing it than playing it before deciding it made the game actively unfun and uninstalling it

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

On one hand, I like that Oblivion required you to carry a silver weapon in order to fight ghosts, since it helped put a little bit of emphasis on actual role-playing, where you have to consider what you might run into and prepare yourself accordingly.

On the other hand, the one thing I remember being a major pain in the rear end in Oblivion was repairing equipment, so it's a juggle of hoping your weapon lasts long enough, hoping you have enough Repair Hammers, and hoping that the hammers don't break right away. Throw in the the Will-o-the-Wisps and you've got a recipe for frustration.
Exactly. When it's just a neat touch to be mindful of, it's cool. But when it's presented as just some awkward hurdle to juggle, not so much. Though admittedly I've got a dim view of Item Repair just being a timesink/"You found this too early for our liking, stop it" mechanic as well, though. Outside of stuff like Jagged Alliance, most of it is smashing two guns together like a caveman while paused ala New Vegas being treated as some kind of genius.

Cooler stuff is when you are almost certain to have some form of method that works on hand for such occasions, even if it's weaker than your normal stuff or a plentiful consumable. Where you are not going to be screwed over or barley have the resources for such a thing most of the time unless it's a gimmick area.

Reminds me of Resident Evil 4. I really like the Regenerators, not because of their infrared spotted weakspot gimmic. But because it is still possible to kill them through raw firepower... It's wildly impractical to empty out multiple boxes of shotgun ammo and a maybe couple grenades to luck into hitting the weakspots, but you still technically have the option. It makes a big mindset difference.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 14, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

OOO was a mod that took me a ton of effort to install properly, so much so that I probably spent more time installing it than playing it before deciding it made the game actively unfun and uninstalling it

I never tried OOO (and that description makes me sort of hesitant to try it), but I did like the concept behind it, since it made it sound like the game would be more challenging, and you couldn't just zip from city to city without issue; you would have to work your way through to other parts of the game, and you'd have to avoid certain area until you were stronger, which I feel like is something taken from older RPGs.

I know some people complain about it, but that was something I did admire about Fallout New Vegas compared to F3. You couldn't go straight to Vegas, since there were deathclaws and cazadores lurking throughout the most direct routes. You had to take the long way via the main roads. I've always thought of it as being a glimpse at the kind of things you'd be handling by the end-game, when you've gained the strength and ability to take on larger threats and handle smaller threats without effort.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
At least in New Vegas, if you knew what you were doing, you could sneak past the deathclaws and get to Vegas quickly. The long route was easier, but not the only way at level one. OOO, in comparison, just made a bunch of areas pretty much inaccessible early on and forced you to read the modder's mind over what direction you were meant to go at the start. I mean, what's the point of playing an open-world game if you have to do things in a specific order anyway?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Doc Hawkins posted:

You are not wrong, but it's still a pretty crazy gently caress-you to new players [...]

On a completely different note, I just learned about Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3.

These are not completely different notes. FFT 1.3 is designed by someone who expects, at the least, a complete knowledge of base game mechanics, and includes an unwinnable, randomly occurring boss battle (The boss can, every turn, permanently kill one of the characters in your party, amongst other things) that the creator patches every time someone figures out a way to kill.

Note that this may have changed since I payed attention to it, back when the 1.3 easy mode patch had just been released.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

cheetah7071 posted:

I just used Francesco's. Eased off the level scaling, but not to the point of making actual level requirements for areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
You guys clearly never used FCOM.
The final iteration wasn't even complete until the end of 2015. :psyduck:

I still can't believe I got it working properly, and it will probably be the greatest feat of mod installing I will ever partake in.
Here, have a 10 page guide to installing it. And that's just for the most basic of functional installs!