Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Now he's not even a driver!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Remember the time Casey Mears was a open wheel driver? Neither does anybody else.

DNQ'd twice at indy. with Galles, and Hemelgarn. (two solid IRL programs)

Struggled in CART with two decent teams. (Rahal, Mo Nunn). Just couldn't make it work here. Ah well. Got that World 600 victory at least.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Robin Miller lays into the usual suspects in his opinion piece on the aftermath of Texas:
http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/141385-miller-terrible-trio-of-decisions-show-at-texas

"One team insider says DCR’s repair bill since Phoenix, six weeks ago, is around $1.3m. " :eyepop:
https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/coyne-race-engineer-laments-string-of-destruction-918007/

Bentai fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 13, 2017

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I like Robin Miller, but I'm not sure where he's going with the purse thing, unless he thinks that complaining about it often enough means that some brand new sponsor is going to magically show up and shower money at the series.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Lord Crapulus posted:

I like Robin Miller, but I'm not sure where he's going with the purse thing, unless he thinks that complaining about it often enough means that some brand new sponsor is going to magically show up and shower money at the series.

The $30k is on top of the leader's circle money that all the teams are getting anyway. Miller is half-implying that Indycar should get rid of the guaranteed money and increase the size of the purses. (Really bad idea.) That money isn't going to appear out of thin air.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Miller argues whatever is convenient, he's a professional spoilsport.

If they don't do what they used to do in the past, then IndyCar is stamping out the legacy of ol Pea-Dick McGillicutty who once built a race winner out of cereal box tops in an abandoned termite mound, boy-i-tell-you-what.

But if they don't do something high tech or new, IndyCar is stuck in the past and has to change to get new fans and live in the now not go back to the old redneck IRL days, and where is the technological innovation and the stars and cars.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Don't doxx Viking.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

If they don't do what they used to do in the past, then IndyCar is stamping out the legacy of ol Pea-Dick McGillicutty who once built a race winner out of cereal box tops in an abandoned termite mound, boy-i-tell-you-what.

But if they don't do something high tech or new, IndyCar is stuck in the past and has to change to get new fans and live in the now not go back to the old redneck IRL days, and where is the technological innovation and the stars and cars.

I think the biggest issue with this Texas race was the package. Also everybody forgetting how to drive. Hopefully the new car will fix this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think the biggest issue with this Texas race was the package. Also everybody forgetting how to drive. Hopefully the new car will fix this.

Nah, it wasn't the aeropackage, last year wasn't this bad apart from one :magical: crash.

It was the tires not wearing down. They'd blister sure, but given everyone's tires were strong till they started blistering, no one started losing speed and had to drop back.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

iospace posted:

Nah, it wasn't the aeropackage, last year wasn't this bad apart from one :magical: crash.

It was the tires not wearing down. They'd blister sure, but given everyone's tires were strong till they started blistering, no one started losing speed and had to drop back.

Nah, it was TK turning right when the corner was a left hander. Newgarden running 3 wide through oil dry. Takuma Sato trying to qualify at Eldora...

Bad decision by drivers and Penske's magic tire set up caused the problems.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Whatever the cause, the entire car's aero and the tires will be different next year, for better or worse depending on what you thought of Saturday.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Genocide Tendency posted:

Nah, it was TK turning right when the corner was a left hander. Newgarden running 3 wide through oil dry. Takuma Sato trying to qualify at Eldora...

Bad decision by drivers and Penske's magic tire set up caused the problems.

Penske wasn't the only one having tire issues this time (Rahal comes to mind), but yes they do have a history of running tire-abusive setups. This was on Firestone for bringing a tire that gets dangerous before it gets slow, and on ICS for not sticking with what they told drivers during the driver's meeting.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

Whatever the cause, the entire car's aero and the tires will be different next year, for better or worse depending on what you thought of Saturday.

it will hopefully be a good thing because gently caress pack racing

i want every oval race to be like california 2013, aka the greatest oval race in history

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Why aren't we racing at Fontana anymore?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

Scheduling issues, mostly. The most ideal date for Fontana would be October or otherwise as the season finale, but Indycar wants the series to be done before football season starts up or something. The only other date that Indycar could agree to was in the middle of the summer, when it is a billion degrees outside and gently caress that poo poo.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

iospace posted:

Approximately seven people showed up to watch race cars in the middle of California summer because everyone involved is an idiot

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Approximately seven people showed up to watch race cars in the middle of California summer because everyone involved is an idiot

Indycar.txt

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's a shame nobody liked the Michigan 500 because it produced good racing. Fontana too. Certainly better than loving Nazareth.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's a shame nobody liked the Michigan 500 because it produced good racing. Fontana too. Certainly better than loving Nazareth.

Yeah but theres about 10 other tracks in the US that deserved what happened to Nazareth instead

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Short ovals do nothing for me, sorry.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Human Grand Prix posted:

Short ovals do nothing for me, sorry.

Out of all the oval tracks I've attended not named Indy, my favorite has to be Iowa. That's a track that does things right and produces great racing

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Yeah but theres about 10 other tracks in the US that deserved what happened to Nazareth instead

Kansas, Chicagoland, Las Vegas, and Kentucky (maybe).

WindyMan posted:

Scheduling issues, mostly. The most ideal date for Fontana would be October or otherwise as the season finale, but Indycar wants the series to be done before football season starts up or something. The only other date that Indycar could agree to was in the middle of the summer, when it is a billion degrees outside and gently caress that poo poo.

I will stay say it. You run the race at 4:15 or something? The lack of good NFL games wouldn't kill all that much. You're gonna get poo poo ratings regardless, so why care? Run it Halloween weekend like the old days. I'll watch it over cup racing one of those ovals I just mentioned or the Cowboys-Jaguars game that the NFL is forcing down the throat of the entire country.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Need a Marlboro type company to throw money at it to get it to work. That's what got it to really work in the first place.

Toyota too. Toyota towards the end of that race and the first go around with CART would throw money at sponsoring races at Homestead, Long Beach (duh), Nazareth, Michigan and Fontana.

I mean this in the nicest way, but Toyota in Cup kinda frustrates me. While I support the idea of getting idiots up in arms about the "JAPANESE ENGINE WINNING EVERYTHING!" ? It gets annoying that outside of the board rooms of Daytona and Charlotte? they're clearly not wanted by fans over there.

It feels like they could reach their demo better if they went to IMSA, SCORE and Indy. People still really think highly of their efforts there. (Eagle MkIII is one of the best GTP's ever made, The Celica in the GTO, Gurney's Ill-fated Eagle project, etc).

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

During some downtime today I decided to look up the headquarters of DCR, and goddamn it's a tiny operation:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6384855,-88.1560128,86m/data=!3m1!1e3

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Bentai posted:

During some downtime today I decided to look up the headquarters of DCR, and goddamn it's a tiny operation:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6384855,-88.1560128,86m/data=!3m1!1e3

You aren't kidding. Here's a comparison to Ganassi & Andretti, all at the same zoom level (100m)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I actually plan on doing some shop tours during the off-season, I'll be sure to ask if there's a correlation between shop size and team budget (I bet there is)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AA's shop is indeed quite large, though also quite full. Just for currently-live programs, you've got four ICS cars, four Lights cars, two GRC cars, two Formula E cars, and a couple of sprint cars for Jarett Andretti. Add to that the machine and paint shops, spare parts storage, old cars, and haulers.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

KingShibby posted:

I actually plan on doing some shop tours during the off-season, I'll be sure to ask if there's a correlation between shop size and team budget (I bet there is)

Nice! Gunna get lots of pictures I assume?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Pretty sure Ganassi's shop is also crammed, what with IndyCar, NASCAR and IMSA entries.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kilonum posted:

Pretty sure Ganassi's shop is also crammed, what with IndyCar, NASCAR and IMSA entries.

imsa is up where rahal, john force's NHRA team is.

NASCAR is in Charlotte.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What about Penske?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/injured-bourdais-happy-to-not-be-part-of-bullshit-texas-race-918349/
SeaBass is pretty pissed about the TMS race.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/rossi-has-a-different-perspective-now-on-texas-shunt-918014/
Rossi walks back his comments on his incident with TK and Dixie, discusses his opinion on how the race turned out.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/carpenter-drivers-not-cars-need-to-change-to-avoid-oval-carnage-917979/
Oval Master Spider Ed, "nah, this was fine, the drivers need to git gud."

Bentai fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 14, 2017

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Nazareth was great and you're dumb if you disagree.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

What about Penske?

All of Penske is in Charlotte, NC

Norns posted:

Nice! Gunna get lots of pictures I assume?

I'll be taking as many pictures as the teams will allow. My primary goal for the rest of this season and the off-season is to meet as many people as possible within the teams and the series itself.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
If DCR does shop tours, I should really go, that's not too far from me. I'll put it on the list with the IMS museum and the Air Force museum of places I'd like to go see but not enough to actually do it.

Ed is right here, there were some stupid moves that even the Sennas in iRacing would've been embarrassed by. Really hoping that with the new aero kit they start running lower downforce at the drat ovals already though.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
If Dale Coyne Racing can run out of a shop that small then what's to stop this thread from creating their own IndyCar team????

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Sometimes mom calls us out of her basement to vacuum and poo poo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

If Dale Coyne Racing can run out of a shop that small then what's to stop this thread from creating their own IndyCar team????

Incompetence

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wirth1000 posted:

Good idea, I'll make the wiki.

e: real talk though: that's one of the thing Indy is real big on: keeping costs low as possible. Part of why The Split happened was over ballooning costs. Aerokits are a prime example. They were a good idea on paper, but the reality was that they had to limit how much development could be done and how many changes were allowed per season, and even then, it cost more than they were hoping.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 14, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wirth1000 posted:

About $7m a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Cygni posted:

About $7m a year

That actually seems ridiculously low and affordable as far as running a top tier domestic team goes.

• Locked thread