Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

Did Lewis gently caress up a weight cut or something vs Hunto? He seemed way more shy about eating shots than normal (even more than I would expect someone to be against Hunt). I only remember him shooting for a very sleepy takedown around R3/4, which Hunt just stepped around. Strikes me as strange that he'd be so timid having called Hunt out in the first place.

I haven't watched the fight (ha ha typical amirite) but Jack Slack said that hunto was working the body which will suck the gas out of even the best conditioned fighter

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

I agree that old school kickboxing rules would be best for a competitive fight. That said, allowing leg kicks against boxers is also always fun to watch.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I'm super torn. On the one hand seeing overpaid playboy boxer divas eat poo poo is good for the soul but on the other I really want to see Conor's face explode.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Southpaugh posted:

Did Lewis gently caress up a weight cut or something vs Hunto? He seemed way more shy about eating shots than normal (even more than I would expect someone to be against Hunt). I only remember him shooting for a very sleepy takedown around R3/4, which Hunt just stepped around. Strikes me as strange that he'd be so timid having called Hunt out in the first place.

I think he was wore out because he spent the entire fight running from Hunt because Hunt hits very loving hard and was surprisingly fast for coming in at 265. Hunt's cardio was on point. Lewis got outworked by one of the best heavyweight kickboxers of all time.

I don't think it's that he was timid, but rather playing smart. At the beginning he was tagging Hunt pretty well with this strategy and he won the first round. Hunt was relentless, though, and just flat wore him out.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Also there is no photographic evidence of Hunt sneaking a rack of ribs into his face right before the fight.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think Lewis underestimated how hard Hunt can hit and started to shell up. This is based off of the patented Eye Ball Test.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The Dave posted:

I think Lewis underestimated how hard Hunt can hit and started to shell up. This is based off of the patented Eye Ball Test.

I don't think he underestimated his punching power because there's highlight reel knockouts in abundance when it comes to Hunt. He probably just has never been hit that hard before.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JaySB posted:

I don't think he underestimated his punching power because there's highlight reel knockouts in abundance when it comes to Hunt. He probably just has never been hit that hard before.

This. Lewis was cautious from the start and it helped win him round 1. He just wasn't expecting the short little pudgy guy to be as fast as he was nor hit quite as hard as he did.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I think he was probably retiring after the fight and eating a plate of ribs directly before the fight and didn't give a poo poo about the fight but probably he was just scared of getting hit by the best sub .500 kickboxer of all time or whatever.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Cyber Dog posted:

I agree that old school kickboxing rules would be best for a competitive fight. That said, allowing leg kicks against boxers is also always fun to watch.

berbicktakada.gif

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Lewis also threw a surprising number of high kicks in the first half of the fight.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEwD8_2C9bw

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

old.flv posted:

Lewis also threw a surprising number of high kicks in the first half of the fight.

This too, he was doing jump switch kicks and poo poo.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I hope he doesn't retire either way

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Bellator picked up Goldberg for commentary. Michael Goldberg that is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nierbo posted:

Bellator picked up Goldberg for commentary. Michael Goldberg that is.

Bellator has finally become the premier MMA league.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
tmz saying jon jones mom died

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Floyd signed

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Horney posted:

Floyd signed

post a link

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

LobsterMobster posted:

tmz saying jon jones mom died

https://twitter.com/Artj97/status/874705248895590404

Seems to be true. That sucks.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

It's a statement from the boxing commission in Ghana but I'm pretty sure it's true

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Horney posted:

It's a statement from the boxing commission in Ghana but I'm pretty sure it's true

lol

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Hold that poo poo in Ghana. Let's get a rumble in the jungle throwback. I want the fighters to have to have to be airlifted out when people bust out AK's in the streets after they're disappointed in the match.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

LobsterMobster posted:

gently caress that, struve should get a title shot next

Struve is now Stipe's only unavenged loss.

Also, when Struve gets knocked out it is normally hilarious.

I do not see a down side to this fight happening.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

attackmole posted:

Hold that poo poo in Ghana. Let's get a rumble in the jungle throwback. I want the fighters to have to have to be airlifted out when people bust out AK's in the streets after they're disappointed in the match.

Surely we need an excuse for Conor to be more racist in his prefight promotion.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Shoulda cut out the gritz

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Nierbo posted:

ehhhh

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I don't get it

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
He's implying that Jon Jones mother died because, and this is the funny part so get ready, she was eating stereotypical black personal food.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Oh...

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Nierbo posted:

attackmole posted:

At least she doesn't have to deal with this kind of poo poo anymore.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Aldo's trainer is saying he was injured and that's why he didn't/couldn't throw kicks.
http://www.mmamania.com/2017/6/13/15792388/coach-jose-aldo-fought-injured-couldnt-throw-leg-kicks-ufc-212-mma

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I am now hoping for Bones to pull out of the fight because 1) he should focus on his family at this tough time and 2) I don't want to feel bad when DC beats him.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Work Friend Keven posted:

He's implying that Jon Jones mother died because, and this is the funny part so get ready, she was eating stereotypical black personal food.

Actually grits are a stereotypically southern food. racist spotted

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I am now hoping for Bones to pull out of the fight because 1) he should focus on his family at this tough time and 2) I don't want to feel bad when DC beats him.

I hate Jones but DC cannot defeat him.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
DC can beat the Jon Jones that fought OSP.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

tesilential posted:

Actually grits are a stereotypically southern food. racist spotted

jon jones was born in new york.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

JaySB posted:

Aldo's trainer is saying he was injured and that's why he didn't/couldn't throw kicks.
http://www.mmamania.com/2017/6/13/15792388/coach-jose-aldo-fought-injured-couldnt-throw-leg-kicks-ufc-212-mma

Always an excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

Always an excuse

He's probably been asked that question 600 times since the fight.

• Locked thread