Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Tigren posted:

That's a cool condescending tone you've taken there. Does American Gods have commercials where you watch it? If the tiger needs multiple posts for discussion, maybe it's better suited for the Hannibal thread and not the thread for American Gods, the show from the same guy as another show. Or maybe you can find some bad tigers in American Gods and talk about it here.

cool meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Is this more bookshit? :thunk:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

mallratcal posted:

Is this more bookshit? :thunk:

That's what I was looking for. Thanks.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Now you're all fighting for the sheer, loving thrill of it!! Do you feel the blood coursing in your veins??

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

"Give me back my two minutes. I wasted two minutes reading your off-topic posts, and now I want them back."

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

spudsbuckley posted:

As an Irish guy, the accents bugged the gently caress out of me in this one.

The accents were a bit variable alright, but I never thought I'd hear someone being called a (one eyed) gabhal on an american tv show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Guys, the tiger doesn't show up until way after Mohamed and Sweeney fight on top of Millennium Tower, Jeez keep it in the spoiler thread

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tigren posted:

That's a cool condescending tone you've taken there. Does American Gods have commercials where you watch it? If the tiger needs multiple posts for discussion, maybe it's better suited for the Hannibal thread and not the thread for American Gods, the show from the same guy as another show. Or maybe you can find some bad tigers in American Gods and talk about it here.

E/N is that way

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Any idea what does Mad S actually yell in his tongue on the road? The subs here were just transliteration.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
According to a highly reputable academic source aka reddit, he's roughly saying "What is it that has brought this poo poo to me? Is it not enough that I have suffered? It is enough indeed, I’m not evil! I’m not!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tigren posted:

Is there not a Hannibal thread?

The guy who made one show made the other show so we talk about both :v:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I did two 10 hour shifts, motherfuckers still hangry bout Hannibal stuff?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Q: What'd Hannibal say to Laura Moon?
A: Eat a dick.

:rimshot:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also Hannibal is no longer on the air and I'm pretty sure the thread went with it. People who like this show would also like Hannibal.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Hannibal fans should start talking about the Hannibal books to really get the crybabies going.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I watched the new episode last night and the rote recitation of "and then she met this dude and they banged and then something bad happened to her and then she met this other dude and they banged" for an hour was not entertaining

I don't doubt that it pays off later in some form or another but oh wow this episode was slowly putting a foot on the brakes before the season finale

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Hannibal fans should start talking about the Hannibal books to really get the crybabies going.

I don't think anyone wants to talk about how Clarice falls in love with Hannibal and they end up becoming lovers when in the TV show that's Will Graham's job

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
To bring this back around: I love that Fuller brought his composer with him. The "Hannibal-drums" and trumpet noises are much appreciated in AG and perfectly fit the aesthetic!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I thought the latest episode was fine until the end. We're supposed to just buy off that a "god" that has lived for at least a couple hundred years with a memory (history?) stretching back far further and with a mythos of screwing over people (up to and including killing them) is going to be guilt tripped into giving up the item that he has to get back at all costs after it was just handed to him on a silver platter? I get the symbolism but that whole scene was just stupid and contradictory to the entire theme of the show.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

To bring this back around: I love that Fuller brought his composer with him. The "Hannibal-drums" and trumpet noises are much appreciated in AG and perfectly fit the aesthetic!

The Hannibal drums really are amazing, all of the musical stings really

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Capntastic posted:

I watched the new episode last night and the rote recitation of "and then she met this dude and they banged and then something bad happened to her and then she met this other dude and they banged" for an hour was not entertaining

I don't doubt that it pays off later in some form or another but oh wow this episode was slowly putting a foot on the brakes before the season finale

I mean, it kind of gives context to her relationship with Shadow, even though she's like, a different person.

Edit: I was a big fan of, while the ice cream truck was flipping, the bomb pops falling out of the freezer being shot like bay doors opening and bombs falling out.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Capntastic posted:

"and then she met this dude and they banged and then something bad happened to her and then she met this other dude and they banged"

That's pretty much how I section off the milestones of my life

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

On top of that, Brian Reitzell has a golden ear for picking out the perfect song for any occasion, he's almost on Quentin Tarantino's level. During Hannibal he demonstrated an amazing knowledge of classical music that you'd never heard of, and made great judgement calls on whether or not they needed to be tweaked and adjusted to fit the scene. Got love-making scenes with a blind woman? Use piano solos to emphasize how she's using her hands to explore her lover's body. Brilliant!

This past episode of AG, I love how he decided every song in a story set the 1700's would be 1950's doo-wop. It's weird, its anachronistic, I have no idea if it makes any thematic sense, but man it just feels so right for some reason.

I really really appreciate his judgement even more after watching Handmaid's Tale. Whoever's picking out off the shelf songs there is so tone deaf by comparison.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 13, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

nessin posted:

I thought the latest episode was fine until the end. We're supposed to just buy off that a "god" that has lived for at least a couple hundred years with a memory (history?) stretching back far further and with a mythos of screwing over people (up to and including killing them) is going to be guilt tripped into giving up the item that he has to get back at all costs after it was just handed to him on a silver platter? I get the symbolism but that whole scene was just stupid and contradictory to the entire theme of the show.

That's exactly the point, though! While he did many bad things to Essie, as she said at the end "You did me many a good turn," to which he admits "more than a few bad, as well."

The guilt-trip is that he has been nothing but bad luck to Laura. He has taken and taken from her and given nothing back. It's that memory of Essie that reminds him that he isn't evil, just fickle. He gives her back the coin because he realizes that he needs to bring Laura some good luck to balance out the bad for him to "earn" his coin back.
:spergin:

edit: it's also a juxtaposition between the Old Gods and the New Gods...the Old Gods feel that they have to give something back to the people while the New Gods view them simply as a mana source.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

nessin posted:

Yes? The entire point of the backstory was to show how fickle leprechauns are. They're just as likely to do you a favor as they are to try and ruin you.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also wasn't the whole point of that coin that it had to be given of the current owner's free will? Laura hadn't willingly given the coin up, so it would have just found it's way back to her anyway.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Also wasn't the whole point of that coin that it had to be given of the current owner's free will? Laura hadn't willingly given the coin up, so it would have just found it's way back to her anyway.

:shrug:

Dead people can't own things, so it's a little ambiguous? I viewed the scene as Sweeney willingly gave it back to her until he felt like he deserved it back (cued by her willingly giving it up). Getting it back via another misfortune directed at Laura was wrong to him.

I couldn't tell, but was his Lucky Coin the one Essie gave him in the field?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How are you supposed to have enough bad luck to give away your lucky coin if your lucky coin is supposed to give you good luck? Check mate, Gaiman

Edit: loving autocorrect

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 13, 2017

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

How are you supposed to have enough bad luck to give away your lucky coin if you're lucky coin is supposed to give you good luck? Check mate, Gaiman

Honhonhon! Good luck is only there until you don't have it mon ami! :frenchmaninberetsmokinglongthincigarette:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Steve Yun posted:

How are you supposed to have enough bad luck to give away your lucky coin if you're lucky coin is supposed to give you good luck? Check mate, Gaiman

I'd have to rewatch, but I bet Wednesday hosed him somehow during his fight with Shadow in ep1.

:rolleye: Classic Rando Wednesday...

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Wednesday describes Shadow's new job as potentially leading to him becoming "King of America" sometime in the first couple episodes. When Sweeny is first trying to get his coin back from Laura he says "It's a coin you give a king."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

nessin posted:

I didn't read Sweeney as suffering an attack of pity for Laura, more that he was still on his "gently caress you, Wednesday" kick, and knew this is exactly what he wouldn't want.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Steve Yun posted:

This past episode of AG, I love how he decided every song in a story set the 1700's would be 1950's doo-wop. It's weird, its anachronistic, I have no idea if it makes any thematic sense, but man it just feels so right for some reason.
Maybe I'm stretching here but I thought it made sense, given how focused on materialism and wealth both Mad Sweeney and Essie are, that the music hearkened back to the 50s, America's near-mythical era of prosperity.

That said, the "Daddy's Home" song always grosses me out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Both, he caused her death. He's got a soft spot for her and gently caress Wednesday.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Rocksicles posted:

Both, he caused her death. He's got a soft spot for her and gently caress Wednesday.
And possibly it's related to the concept of debts. Sweeney seems to be a very tit-for-tat god. Leave out some cream and get good luck; forget the cream and you'll be arrested and sentenced to hang. He also mentions that he "owes" a battle.

Maybe in his mind he owes Laura because he got her killed in the first place and he wouldn't be true to his nature if he didn't try to repay somehow.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I got the impression that getting her killed once could be considered mischief, but the second time you kill someone in a car accident... it's not really bad luck.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

A leprechaun always pays his debts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Wednesday describes Shadow's new job as potentially leading to him becoming "King of America" sometime in the first couple episodes. When Sweeny is first trying to get his coin back from Laura he says "It's a coin you give a king."

Good catch.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

While this is true, we should also recall that Sweeny himself was apparently a king in the Old Country, and the coin was all the money Essie had when she gave it to him. So one could argue that it was given to a king, then given to Shadow who may be a king(?), and thence to Laura who may be a descendant or reincarnation or whatever of Essie, bringing the circle to a close.

Which means Sweeny really, really needs Laura to give it back to him willingly to start a new circle, methinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Might be true, but I much prefer leaning on the idea that Sweeney is doing it out of a sense of morals than out of an obligation to follow rules and laws

edit: it makes it funnier that she punches him for it

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 14, 2017