Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's a holdover from earlier versions of DF where getting alcohol wasn't piss easy, so a back up drinking source was actually important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's a holdover from earlier versions of DF where getting alcohol wasn't piss easy, so a back up drinking source was actually important.

When was that? I've been playing since the game was 2d and never once have any of my non-injured dwarves drunk water.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If you run out of alcohol they drink water.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

counterfeitsaint posted:

If you run out of alcohol they drink water.

right but why would you

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Addamere posted:

right but why would you

Because you are terrible at keeping farming going

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But... how? :psyduck:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

KillHour posted:

If i knew i probably wouldn't fail so much at farming.

Nowadays i just work around it by having a large variety and buying seeds/ crops from every caravan.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

10X10 field, plump helmets all year round. You'll be drowning in food and booze.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

KillHour posted:

You can sort of screw yourself by cooking all your seeds

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Starting with a civilization without plump helmets can make it harder to get the alcohol industry started. That's my excuse.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I think it's usually the barrel industry that people have trouble with more than the farming itself. It's pretty easy to accidentally fill all your barrels with food and run out of barrels for booze if you don't know what you're doing. Especially back before multi-tile trees and before rock pots and pottery when barrels were the only option and wood was comparatively scarce.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My loss of booze is when I get fed up "Urist cancels brew, no materials/no container" over and over when I set it to repeat and suspend it then forget about it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Got this mixed up with the military history thread.:beerpal:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Just spam out barrels constantly. If you are not deforresting the planet you are doing it wrong anyway.

Alternatively large stone pots.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I get going with stone pots ASAP as they hold twice as much and gently caress the surface.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Farming was originally a little harder to set up, you had to irrigate with mud and I don't think the UI allowed for automation. There were guides for it even.

Nowadays it's basically impossible to screw up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Once you get the hang of it, setting up several separate small stockpiles for cooking is actually pretty easy, and necessary if you want your lazy-rear end dwarves to use different ingredients rather than just making plump helmet roasts consisting of plump helmets, plump helmets, plump helmets and plump helmets.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I see no issue with this, however.

e. How long until nutrion will be in the game?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I kind of want to pretend I'm going to play this again, what's the current state of the art for just getting it going with some nice pictures and whatever sort of external dwarf management mechanism is considered good these days? Is therapist still a thing? I'm on OS X.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Vengarr posted:

Farming was originally a little harder to set up, you had to irrigate with mud and I don't think the UI allowed for automation. There were guides for it even.

Nowadays it's basically impossible to screw up.

If there was only one feature that I could have back from the 2D days, it's Nile-style farming. :(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Bad Munki posted:

I kind of want to pretend I'm going to play this again, what's the current state of the art for just getting it going with some nice pictures and whatever sort of external dwarf management mechanism is considered good these days? Is therapist still a thing? I'm on OS X.

dfhack got its 43.05-r1 release a few weeks ago with a pinch of new features and whatnot, twbt also has caught up and is advancing in the area of rendering the tiles beneath things

therapist is apparently still a bit unstable and supported only up to version 43.03 on Mac, but the text-based dwarf manipulator works fine

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there an OS X appropriate lazy newb pack type kit available these days?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Bad Munki posted:

Is there an OS X appropriate lazy newb pack type kit available these days?

there's something called the Lazy Mac Pack, but that seems to be lagging behind (43.03) on the DFHack-havery front

the individual pieces should all be up to snuff, it's just the final assembly that's lacking right now

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Why use therapist when autolabor and labormanager exist?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

scamtank posted:

dfhack got its 43.05-r1 release a few weeks ago with a pinch of new features and whatnot, twbt also has caught up and is advancing in the area of rendering the tiles beneath things

therapist is apparently still a bit unstable and supported only up to version 43.03 on Mac, but the text-based dwarf manipulator works fine

I've been meaning to ask, scamtank, are you at all involved with work on dfhack?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Neurion posted:

I've been meaning to ask, scamtank, are you at all involved with work on dfhack?

somebody stuck my name on the credits, yeah, but it's for tiny stuff like identifying a few memory array pattern field things, commenting the item description index with formatting guidelines and swatting a bug or two

the most significant thing was probably when I unfucked the item description plugin's displaying of potential products in plants

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RFC2324 posted:

Why use therapist when autolabor and labormanager exist?

I dunno about labormanager but autolabor doesn't seem very precise. I want my dwarves to specialize and get good at what they do, and I want the ones with difficult-to-train skills to stay in safety, and so on. Handpicking their job sets is important for that.

My typical fort is also capped at 40 dwarves max, sometimes less if I feel especially efficient.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I haven't played with autolabor but I enjoy hand picking things for each Dwarf on my own.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I never used autolabor, is it possible to tell it which dwarves it should automanage? I think I'd like to directly control a couple of guys and leave all of the farmers and stuff to the manager.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I think autolabor handles things just fine for almost all purposes. I think you can still assign workshops to specific dwarves, and if you have a workshop that only that dwarf can use autolabor makes him use it? I'm not sure though.

Edit: It's been a while, but even if that's not the case it's easy enough to just 'autolabor disable' which will leave everyone in their current labors at the time of disabling, find the dwarf you want to do the thing, and make him do the thing, and then turn it back on.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I dunno about labormanager but autolabor doesn't seem very precise. I want my dwarves to specialize and get good at what they do.

Why? I mean, I know their products will be of a better quality but is there any reason for caring? As far as I can tell, quality is pretty meaningless. It effects mood, but it's already too easy to keep everyone ecstatic. And it effects trade value but it's already too easy to get ridiculously rich.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

markus_cz posted:

Why? I mean, I know their products will be of a better quality but is there any reason for caring? As far as I can tell, quality is pretty meaningless. It effects mood, but it's already too easy to keep everyone ecstatic. And it effects trade value but it's already too easy to get ridiculously rich.

Quality makes a big difference in the case of weapons and armor, and secondarily with jobs that produce stacks higher skill = more compact stacks.

Also highly skilled dwarves work faster which is important if you're running a microfort and don't have the numbers to achieve speed via parallelization / redundancy.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
It's also another layer of the game that some enjoy. I go through my dwarves preferences and try to put them in jobs that they would like, even if it really doesn't matter.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
autolabor-artisans has it choose the highest skilled dwarves to do jobs. Quality does matter for weapons/armor. But if you're running a military in steel you're probably good even if your Weaponsmith is basically turning out blades with blunt edges.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I hope some future update, getting skilled workers would require actual effort instead of grabbing some dwarf cheesemaker and going "yyeeeeah you're making armor now, good luck".

Making things and such should improve your skill, but there's sort of a baseline point where if you don't know a thing about making cups, then its going to be quite a while before you make anything halfway serviceable.

I suppose the knowledge system is working towards that ends, a bit, in that discoveries/technology/whatever has to be shared, so even a dude who is an expert self taught armormaker is going to put out poo poo in comparison to someone who actually had access to a book on the subject of purifying ores or some such thing.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I hope some future update, getting skilled workers would require actual effort instead of grabbing some dwarf cheesemaker and going "yyeeeeah you're making armor now, good luck".

Making things and such should improve your skill, but there's sort of a baseline point where if you don't know a thing about making cups, then its going to be quite a while before you make anything halfway serviceable.

my whole problem with it is that everyone gets to be the eternal legend 100 years of masterpieces guy

a thing I just thought of would be like separate skill levels that average into the total level of performance. super-high book learning but nothing else expands the spectrum of potential end results really wide, but the process is very slow and the end result could as easily be something worth a personal brand as intern-level garbage. folks with zero formal knowledge but years of training their hands to make pots make the products pile up at a stellar rate and at a consistently okay quality, but their improvement quickly stagnates to just an above-average grade, potentially leaving the guy fed up with the trade and regressing as a result of their unhappiness

and reaching consistently magical quality would demand additional +++ modifiers from individual attributes or other effects. letting the savant goldsmith smoke dimple cup stems for a week straight so he goes into a creative fugue, pulling gold wire thinner and thinner until it's wispier than a spider's web with the sort of sleepy meticulousness that would make a Zen monk scream, so when he emerges from his locked chambers 22 days later wearing nothing but grime and what probably used to be a shirt he's literally created a bale of gold wool. like, a fiber at a time

I guess what I'm getting at is that moods should also be more organically linked to the system instead of being power-ups sprinkled in from above according to arbitrary standards of fortress development

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That sounds completely awful from a gameplay perspective.

e: I mean I guess it all depends on implementation but when you start talking about skills and happiness regressing if you aren't simulating practice and creative satisfaction huge loving red flags go up. Skill rust is bad enough.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 15, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah I generally don't like it when things that I've achieved in games regress if I don't micromanage to keep them up. I wish masterpieces were a bit more rare though, and it'd be nice if strange moods were linked to specific events, like if a dwarf experiences something traumatic he can make an item about it to get it out of his system.

Then of course you can make nonlethal trauma chambers for your dwarves to get inspired.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 15, 2017

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I generally don't like it when things that I've achieved in games regress if I don't micromanage to keep them up. I wish masterpieces were a bit more rare though, and it'd be nice if strange moods were linked to specific events, like if a dwarf experiences something traumatic he can make an item about it to get it out of his system.

Then of course you can make nonlethal trauma chambers for your dwarves to get inspired.

It is a right of passage, remarks Urist Attenborough, for the children of this tribe to be locked in a room and pelted with socks, coins, strawberry leaves, and the occasional serving of cat vomit, by the siege operators who fire catapults at all hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Having a dude make lovely pots because he's bored of it all can be annoying, but it can also be cool, if it interplays with various systems and weaves a narrative.

In terms of game design, I think there's something to be said for not accommodating what players "like". Players don't really know what they want in lieu of reflexively liking winning and hating losing, and 9 times out of 10 and cannot be trusted to have an opinion, myself included. Anyone would say they like stepping on feathers as opposed to nails, but stepping on a nail sure as gently caress makes a more interesting story for later. And its those dumb weird stories that DF produces that makes it stand out compared to other sim games that worry about stuff like "playability".