Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MechaCrash posted:

Ah, so that's it. I know you might as well Royal Road the shittier cards, but I thought that there might be some advantage to getting rid of the buff instead of just tossing it on someone. I don't have Royal Road yet, though, and given a choice between "throw Ewer in the trash" and "gently caress it use it on myself," may as well use it.

Right now you might as well toss 'em on whoever will get a bit of a benefit, yeah. Once you get royal road and spread things change a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The death of the White Mage is extremely exaggerated, and while they're going to be "suboptimal" for savage raid progression, they look like they're going to be a fine for literally everything else. Most of their weaknesses from Heavensward have been addressed, they're going to have the highest personal dps of the healers, and their healing throughput is still amazing. Their post 60 lilies and confession mechanics are bad, sure, but they're still a perfectly serviceable job. I'd wager that taking into consideration everything that we know now, they're better than 3.0 ASTs.

If you feel like playing White Mage, play White Mage.

Yeah now that I've actually read up on how the lilies mechanic works I can see why people are mad about it but it sounds like you can just like...completely ignore it and still have as much fun being a whm as you were having in 3.x. I think I'll probably do that, I like WHM.

They'll probably fix it and make it better anyway, if the reaction to it is so universally negative.

Cu Chulainn
Apr 27, 2011

It's great to get out of the lab

And now for my PS4 alt!

Mileena Denma
Voted Most Likely to trade in her fists for bullets
"It's like I can punch them from 30 yalms away!"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah now that I've actually read up on how the lilies mechanic works I can see why people are mad about it but it sounds like you can just like...completely ignore it and still have as much fun being a whm as you were having in 3.x. I think I'll probably do that, I like WHM.

They'll probably fix it and make it better anyway, if the reaction to it is so universally negative.

Thin Air by itself is going to make white mages dungeon monsters regardless of anything else.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Ainsley McTree posted:

It feels like a lot of whinging. WHM has always been the best straight healer, and people expecting that to change are out of their gourds; if you want to ignore healing and focus on DPS for fast clears, play SCH. Stormblood WHM is a progression of what they do now, and honestly, was anyone who actually enjoys playing WHM clamoring for a change? As far as I can tell, people who found it mechanically shallow moved on to the other healers, and everyone else appreciated how straightforward it is to play.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't really expect SE to legit fix lillies during 4.X - the fact that they thought cooldown reduction was useful at all, particularly when you can't control it, demonstrates that they don't really understand the issue. I'm sure we'll see some "fix by math" solutions thrown at us over the patch cycle like an increased reduction per lilly like we did with AST though.

That said you're still right, whm is mostly still great, just with a boring, bad mechanic tacked on and a shittier stoneskin for some reason. Their new MP cooldown is insanely strong, reduced cooldown on Assize is obviously great (particularly now that it always does full damage and healing), their personal dps is the best of the healers, and Holy is Holy. WHM is like, by far the best dungeon healer based off what we know now.

I certainly won't try to stop someone from playing AST though, that job looks loving bananas in SB. I have no idea how they got buffed so much AND got to keep 20% Balance. I have a feeling that the job will be a no brainer for any raiding group trying to progress.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CeallaSo posted:

It feels like a lot of whinging. WHM has always been the best straight healer, and people expecting that to change are out of their gourds; if you want to ignore healing and focus on DPS for fast clears, play SCH. Stormblood WHM is a progression of what they do now, and honestly, was anyone who actually enjoys playing WHM clamoring for a change? As far as I can tell, people who found it mechanically shallow moved on to the other healers, and everyone else appreciated how straightforward it is to play.

This is a super weird post

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CeallaSo posted:

if you want to ignore healing and focus on DPS for fast clears, play SCH

Good news! This is getting "fixed" too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

lillies should make it so assize always crits and those crits do 15,000,000 damage

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

CeallaSo posted:

Part of the problem is that this isn't really true. AST currently heals as well or better than WHM, spends less MP doing it, and also has better MP regen. The media event tool tips, even the presumably more correct famitsu ones, suggest that AST walks up and down WHM's face on healing power.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What's changing for sch? I did try googling but all I could find were videos which I don't want to watch at work

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

I'll play.

Kettle Pip

Voted most likely to: Not be paying attention.
"Uh, what?"

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Klades posted:

Part of the problem is that this isn't really true. AST currently heals as well or better than WHM, spends less MP doing it, and also has better MP regen. The media event tool tips, even the presumably more correct famitsu ones, suggest that AST walks up and down WHM's face on healing power.

Proper use of Cure III still tips the scale in WHM's favor for healing throughput. Add on top of that Assize, Asylum, Tetra, Bene, and WHM stomps on AST.

The real question though, is whether all that extra healing power is ever needed for the toughest content.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

What's changing for sch? I did try googling but all I could find were videos which I don't want to watch at work

Bane is super-nerfed, Bio/Bio II are being merged with the new auto-upgrade system so you can't keep both running at once, Blizzard 2 and Aero aren't in the new cross-role system so you're losing access to those, and Shadow Flare is now an OGCD that can't hit 100% uptime.

Outside of the actual DPS skills, Aetherflow restores less MP, and with the auto-upgrade you're basically forced into using the MP-expensive skills more often.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Countblanc posted:

I don't really expect SE to legit fix lilies during 4.X - the fact that they thought cooldown reduction was useful at all, particularly when you can't control it, demonstrates that they don't really understand the issue. I'm sure we'll see some "fix by math" solutions thrown at us over the patch cycle like an increased reduction per lily like we did with AST though.

Cure 2 has a 100% chance of granting a lily. The build they had at the media thing was a month out of date and they'd already fixed the fact that lilies were completely unreliable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Scholar AOE in general is getting nerfed into the ground. Bane is -20% damage for each target after the first with a floor of 20%. This effectively halves the damage of Bane. Shadowflare is now an ogcd with only 50% uptime. They're also losing Miasma 2, as well as Blizzard 2, so now they have no AOE direct damage abilities.

Scholar AOE is basically going from the best sustainable AOE to utter garbage.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Looking forward to playing whm in stormblood

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MechaCrash posted:

Cure 2 has a 100% chance of granting a lily. The build they had at the media thing was a month out of date and they'd already fixed the fact that lilies were completely unreliable.

Sorry I was probably unclear, I don't mean generating them, I mean not being able to effectively choose how to spend them. Fights in FFXIV are heavily telegraphed and you know when you're going to be using each cooldown during fights, so getting 7-25 seconds shaved off Benediction's 3 minute cooldown won't actually change anything. But more importantly, even if it DID change things, your lilies are immediately consumed the second you cast one of the appropriate abilities and it may not be the one you want or have enough charges to really matter. Cooldown reduction is just not very useful for healers (or really anyone but especially healers), doubly so when you have so little control over it.

This isn't even touching on how little you want to be casting Cure/Cure2 if you can help it.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah, Lillies should be able to generate on crit regen ticks as well, since regen is what you lean on most as a white mage.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They should generate on Aero and Stone :evilbuddy:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Klades posted:

Looking at only potencies largely ignores the fact that WHM has/had a large selection of heals suited for mostly any situation that means it's probably the best straight healer.

The fact you have Regen, both Medicas, Cure 1 to 3, Tetra, Assize and Benny should really have been a sign that maybe giving them more buttons to make people better isn't especially necessary. No one uses Cure III correctly so no players know to actually stack in a stack bit to get hit by it but that spell is the poo poo.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
What class has the most sleeveless glamour options? MNK? This will probably determine the class I play in SB, because nothing else is helping me decide.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
This man is a hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBLsjnqcXsI

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Can't have sleeves if you don't wear a shirt

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

lol that's gotta be the same guy from this reddit post this morning

Ran into a fully geared DRK using nothing but Flash through an entire Sohm Al Hard run. Didn't even autoattack.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
He's a martyr.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Honest tanking is extremely good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He almost makes me want to respec my PLD relic to all parry and meld out parry/piety wherever i can so i can be a flashpld.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the reddit thread is loving gold and tons of people are outing themselves as huge idiots

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr. Nice! posted:

He almost makes me want to respec my PLD relic to all parry and meld out parry/piety wherever i can so i can be a flashpld.

It's particularly ingenious as DRK since you have so much zero-dps mana recovery.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Flashadin, Ice Mage, Singing only Bard, Battle Priest who only uses physical attacks runs when?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
It's me, I'm the one that doesn't get the joke.

vv thanks, had a chuckle

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

It's me, I'm the one that doesn't get the joke.

if healers don't have to dps, why should tanks?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Countblanc posted:

It's particularly ingenious as DRK since you have so much zero-dps mana recovery.

good point. only recovery without DPS on PLD is shelltron or potions.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

CeallaSo posted:

The problem is that every HP healed past "enough healing for people not to die" is wasted, and every other healer can output vastly more than enough healing for people not to die, which makes WHM worse than every other healer.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Riftling posted:

What class has the most sleeveless glamour options? MNK? This will probably determine the class I play in SB, because nothing else is helping me decide.

Monkey Monk. Ninja comes in second since it shares some designs with monk.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if healers don't have to dps, why should tanks?

We won't have to worry about this in a few days as healers won't be able to DPS in the first place

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

strong bird posted:

We won't have to worry about this in a few days as healers won't be able to DPS in the first place

I am looking forward to monktanking every dungeon by default. The healer isn't dpsing anyway so he has the GCDs to keep me alive right?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

strong bird posted:

What are you basing this on exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

UHD posted:

What are you basing this on exactly?

The updated ToS makes casting damaging spells other than Assize a reportable offense. It's strange but I suppose it isn't my game.

• Locked thread