Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AAAAaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh :cripes:

Horror set aside, that article is only about fetuses that are delivered early though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Puppy Time posted:

Unless this leads to Spoony returning to criticism, I don't think anyone here gives a poo poo.

Well surely seeing the goodwill of his fans in the face of adversity he'll finally get around to making a video, right?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Spoony did nothing wrong.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Spoony did nothing

A more accurate description.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Spoony was a mistake.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I've always been more of a fork girl.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Leal posted:

Well surely seeing the goodwill of his fans in the face of adversity he'll finally get around to making a video, right?

So gently caress off until that becomes a reality. There is nothing interesting to be gained from Spoonywatch. I'd rather have more dumb BotL derails, because at least those cover different subjects.

Here, I'll have the conversation for you:

"Spoony is receiving money from people! He is not doing any appreciable output!"

"That is bad. Spoony is bad."

"Spoony has the depressio, which is why he does not do output."

"Nobody cares please stop."

"But Spoony is bad!"

There I have saved you every future instance of the most boring topic on this hell thread.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Puppy Time posted:

So gently caress off

Nah

E: I appreciate you trying to save me the effort of future posting, but unlike spoony I actually put in effort.

Leal fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 13, 2017

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hey guis let's continue to talk about a has been who has been largely forgotten by the general public and no longer makes content.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

So gently caress off until that becomes a reality. There is nothing interesting to be gained from Spoonywatch. I'd rather have more dumb BotL derails, because at least those cover different subjects.

Here, I'll have the conversation for you:

"Spoony is receiving money from people! He is not doing any appreciable output!"

"That is bad. Spoony is bad."

"Spoony has the depressio, which is why he does not do output."

"Nobody cares please stop."

"But Spoony is bad!"

There I have saved you every future instance of the most boring topic on this hell thread.

You forgot the five paragraph "Dear Mr. I'm-Too-Good-to-Call-or-Write-my-Fans" rant.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

In other news, Movies with Mikey is up for a Emmy

https://twitter.com/mikeyface/status/874627467180376064

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BigRed0427 posted:

Nice!

I hope he gets around to doing a video on Wonder Woman soon. :munch:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, all this talk about Spoony makes me think I should go watch his videos again.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Libluini posted:

Man, all this talk about Spoony makes me think I should go watch his videos again.

:yeah:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Libluini posted:

Most of them are gone on his site blip.tv stuff. But you can find almost all of them on youtube. Some random Russian translator did a better job of archiving his stuff than he did.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Most of them are gone on his site blip.tv stuff. But you can find almost all of them on youtube. Some random Russian translator did a better job of archiving his stuff than he did.

Random russian and spanish translators are the unsung heroes of our time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

Random russian and spanish translators are the unsung heroes of our time.

They really are. They're archiving the internet one video at a time!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I really like the shlock movies that people like Brad and RLM like so I tend to listen to Radiodrome from time to time because they often focus on those type of movies. I'm currently listening to the episode Women in Danger redux and they're very angry that Siskel and Ebert don't like the way women are treated in horror movies. And my god the level of analysis is so beyond basic that it's really laughable, one of them accused S&E of being fat nerd losers who were white knighting women so maybe they could sleep with them. I like them when they just talk about the movies but when they try to take it further they end up so far out of their depth that you could randomly choose someone liked in this thread and they'd rip them apart.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bessantj posted:

I really like the shlock movies that people like Brad and RLM like so I tend to listen to Radiodrome from time to time because they often focus on those type of movies. I'm currently listening to the episode Women in Danger redux and they're very angry that Siskel and Ebert don't like the way women are treated in horror movies. And my god the level of analysis is so beyond basic that it's really laughable, one of them accused S&E of being fat nerd losers who were white knighting women so maybe they could sleep with them. I like them when they just talk about the movies but when they try to take it further they end up so far out of their depth that you could randomly choose someone liked in this thread and they'd rip them apart.

Do they specifically enjoy the parts where women get cut apart, or are they of the "you're reading too much into things" school?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

business hammocks posted:

Do they specifically enjoy the parts where women get cut apart, or are they of the "you're reading too much into things" school?

It's like "well a woman kills the bad guy so these films are actually amazing feminist films."

EDIT: But yeah there is a bit of "You're reading too much into this." and Ebert accuses these type of films of being a reaction to woman's sexual liberation, their replay is something like "Michael Myers didn't have an erection when he kills people."

bessantj fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 13, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

bessantj posted:

Josh Hadley is hot garbage.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bessantj posted:

It's like "well a woman kills the bad guy so these films are actually amazing feminist films."

There's actually a very famous book half about that very thing from the 80s, except the other half is about how that phenomenon is conditioned by the incredible misogyny of movies that are 70% about lingering shots of women being terrorized and cut apart:

https://www.amazon.com/Men-Women-Chain-Saws-Princeton/dp/0691166293/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=806YM1G30T8NAWQH1J0T

I love the kind of sleaze Brad Jones digs up, but it's very hard to deny what it obviously is, which is why Brad's approach is perfect for it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

Yeah but he has a lot of passion for these type of garbage films that I like and has a huge knowledge of them. Anything outside of that hot garbage.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

His shittyness on this episode is comparatively mild and as one goes thru the backlog it just gets worse and worse. If there's a silver lining on this, he'll try to read and understand whatever mail you send him and he tries to answer. It just so happens that the podcast is a somewhat alright overview on production and vhs era stuff that tends to burst into this comic rather frequently. There's an episode where his usually chill cohost gets severe heart palpitations from sheer anger at screaming at him when he goes on a tirade on how artistic folk shouldn't get paid, to give you an idea of the stuff you can get when you go way, way back.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sarcopenia posted:

Josh Hadley's bitter resentment that his sacred cows are hilariously obsolete is what kept me listening to Radiodrome for longer than it otherwise would've.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Seems like an emotionally stable individual to me:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/30/twitter-troll-trump-josh-hadley-secret-service-press-freedom

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kunster posted:

His shittyness on this episode is comparatively mild and as one goes thru the backlog it just gets worse and worse. If there's a silver lining on this, he'll try to read and understand whatever mail you send him and he tries to answer. It just so happens that the podcast is a somewhat alright overview on production and vhs era stuff that tends to burst into this comic rather frequently. There's an episode where his usually chill cohost gets severe heart palpitations from sheer anger at screaming at him when he goes on a tirade on how artistic folk shouldn't get paid, to give you an idea of the stuff you can get when you go way, way back.

That's a great comic. I think I remember that podcast wasn't that the one where they comment on news stories? I remember listening to a couple of episodes before I couldn't be bothered to slog through it.

I don't know if it's funny or sad that you can take the guys in this podcast, give them more information, give them the book that business hammocks posted and it wouldn't change a thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BigRed0427 posted:

This should be Best of the Worst

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

bessantj posted:

That's a great comic. I think I remember that podcast wasn't that the one where they comment on news stories? I remember listening to a couple of episodes before I couldn't be bothered to slog through it.

I don't know if it's funny or sad that you can take the guys in this podcast, give them more information, give them the book that business hammocks posted and it wouldn't change a thing.

Josh ran 3 podcasts: Lost In The Static, which is a more general one where he had a cohost where they do one topic (and that's the one with the episode I described)
RadioDrome, the one that has Brad Jones
and WTF which is the news one where she did with Jillian.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

CelticPredator posted:

This should be Best of the Worst

I don't think chatting about lovely movies and whether or not they're entertaining would be considered "informational." BotW is great, but it's not really in the same category as Movies With Mikey.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TheMaestroso posted:

I don't think chatting about lovely movies and whether or not they're entertaining would be considered "informational." BotW is great, but it's not really in the same category as Movies With Mikey.

One day Rich is going to call one of the numbers flashed on an old VHS and do his executive voice and someone will answer and they'll get the interview of the century.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Botw is very informative. I learned all about aids and 9/11 from them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kunster posted:

Josh ran 3 podcasts: Lost In The Static, which is a more general one where he had a cohost where they do one topic (and that's the one with the episode I described)

Lost In The Static was the one I was thinking of. I remembered them taking quite nuanced topics and reducing them to black and white issues. Pretty much like the podcast I posted.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

bessantj posted:

"Michael Myers didn't have an erection when he kills people."

How would we know?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kunster posted:

Whatever happened to Jillian? I remember she started up a site (I think it was called GeekJuiceMedia or something), but she just sort of up and disappeared from Midnight Screenings.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Whatever happened to Jillian? I remember she started up a site (I think it was called GeekJuiceMedia or something), but she just sort of up and disappeared from Midnight Screenings.

She decided at some point like a year or two ago that she just didn't want to do on camera reviews any more unless it was for something she specifically wanted to see and review.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also if you guys aren't listening to it, the new podcast Ashens is on is real good:
https://soundcloud.com/sequelisers

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I feel like a lot more 'critics' in general need to read MEN, WOMEN AND CHAINSAWS.

But it's an age of literal criticism, so all that matters is what the heroine 'does'. Everything is reduced down to plot action until things like the male gaze don't really matter.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Ideal criticism is anything that lets me keep enjoying things I like without feeling bad at any point. Especially if it also lets me feel derision toward things I do not like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm watching Suicide Squad for some reason and by god it is exactly as stupid and baffling as Batman vs Superman, but in a completely different way. I'd love to know what it looked like before someone panicked and made it into this weird movie loaf.

• Locked thread