Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It's really cool that big swarms are good, and it's funny that throwing a bunch of Fearless babybugs into a big fight before the bigbugs show up to murder everything is a workable strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

For those who've read some of the 40k books, how is Guy Haley? He's writing the first Dark Imperium book about Mortarion and Guilliman at Ultramar and filling out the fluff for the Primaris marines, could be interesting.

He's not great. The book itself is interesting in the "Filling out what the gently caress's been going on" and he hits some interesting concepts (Emps being as big a bastard as he was in MoM, Girlyman's distain for the Primaris) but Haley isn't a good enough author to explore them as much as they should have been.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

panascope posted:

It's really cool that big swarms are good, and it's funny that throwing a bunch of Fearless babybugs into a big fight before the bigbugs show up to murder everything is a workable strategy.

I agree, I like the idea of swarms doing well. I think the dedicated anti-swarm guns should do more. poo poo like frag missiles and artillery are barely better than throwing rocks.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Consider the following text a warning on the dangers of plastic crack.

I spent Sunday evening refitting my Warriors, swapping weapons around and upgrading things from my bits box to make better use of the 8E upgrade options now that it's no longer a choice between scything talons or 50pt model. This ended with the conclusion that I could use at least one more venom cannon and a few more bonesword & rending claw arms to square everything off. Unfortunately ebay wasn't much use, so I thought why not add a box of Warriors to my 8E rulebook order for this weekend? Well apparently it's now £26 for a box of 3 models even after the store discount. Then I remember that the starter set contains Warriors, and for £18 more I'm basically getting a free Hive Tyrant and taking the order over £80 for free shipping too.

So 7 years and probably ~20,000pts into a Tyranid army I find myself buying Start Collecting: Tyranids. Help.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

Consider the following text a warning on the dangers of plastic crack.

I spent Sunday evening refitting my Warriors, swapping weapons around and upgrading things from my bits box to make better use of the 8E upgrade options now that it's no longer a choice between scything talons or 50pt model. This ended with the conclusion that I could use at least one more venom cannon and a few more bonesword & rending claw arms to square everything off. Unfortunately ebay wasn't much use, so I thought why not add a box of Warriors to my 8E rulebook order for this weekend? Well apparently it's now £26 for a box of 3 models even after the store discount. Then I remember that the starter set contains Warriors, and for £18 more I'm basically getting a free Hive Tyrant and taking the order over £80 for free shipping too.

So 7 years and probably ~20,000pts into a Tyranid army I find myself buying Start Collecting: Tyranids. Help.

So you must have at *least* fifteen gaunts? Congratulations on your unbeatable army.

Seriously though, I'm most excited that my Swarmlord is seeing the table these days. My flying shooty Tyrant has stayed on the shelf as well. It's a funny thing...

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Hixson posted:

Do you ever wonder why every thread you post in ends up with you arguing with 10 people simultaneously? Do you ever think maybe it's you, and not everybody else that's wrong? Take a cupola minutes to cool off dude

I think you might be presuming a little too much in regards to how emotionally invested the people are in the conversation at hand.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TKIY posted:

So you must have at *least* fifteen gaunts? Congratulations on your unbeatable army.

Seriously though, I'm most excited that my Swarmlord is seeing the table these days. My flying shooty Tyrant has stayed on the shelf as well. It's a funny thing...

Yeah all I want is to have a decent list that includes a swarmlord and a trygon prime. They're my favorite models.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

For those who've read some of the 40k books, how is Guy Haley? He's writing the first Dark Imperium book about Mortarion and Guilliman at Ultramar and filling out the fluff for the Primaris marines, could be interesting.

I've read it, it's actually decent by 40k novel standards. He's no Dan Abnett, but he's no C S Goto.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DiHK posted:

Flamer and Heavy Flamer for Marines please.

Here you go!

pre:
Unit					Cost		Guants/100	Marine/100	Land Raider/100
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Space Marine (Flamer)			22		8.84		2.65		0.03
Company Veteran (Flamer)		25		7.78		2.33		0.02
Bike Veteran (Flamer + 2x Boltguns)	45		7.61		2.28		0.02
Terminator (Heavy Flamer)		45		5.19		2.59		0.05
Razorback (TL Heavy Flamer)		99		4.71		2.36		0.05
Land Raider Redeemer (Everything)	304		4.11		1.90		0.07
Inceptor (Assault Bolter)		60		2.22		1.11		0.02
Turns out Marines with Flamers are extremely efficient. The efficiency of the Flamer helps even if you focus on squads that can take multiples such as Company Veterans and even Biker Veterans (the added pair of rapid-firing boltguns helps offset the price of the bike).

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Mulitple flamers being good against hordes is pretty awesome.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I always get excited when I see a ton of posts in this thread, but then I realize half of them are from that chutche guy, who I have on ignore so :shrug:

DC area hams:
I'm on vacation when 8th drops. I know, I'm an idiot. I'm back Monday and am taking off an extra day (Tuesday). If anyone's got time, I'd love to get a game of 8th edition in. Hit me up!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I read that book. It was a big disappointment. The prose is very poor and characterization is weak. It gives a glimpse of the new Imperium and hints at a few interesting things, but the plot isn't actually that interesting. There's a few cool scenes - Inceptors hot drop, massive bigmar assaults and so on - but I didn't enjoy it much overall.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

HardCoil posted:

Mulitple flamers being good against hordes is pretty awesome.

Pretty stoked about Blood Angels finally being able to run a heavy flamer devastator squad, not gonna lie. If only it was viable to drop pod them in...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Edit wrong thread 😃

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Hey Beer4TheBeerGod, can you hook me up with data on a double heavy flamer Land Speeder per 100 pts?

Thanks for posting the math, BTW.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Regardless of whatever else is going on with gaunt hordes in this thread lately, I'm super happy for Tyranid players 8E seems to have rescued them from trap army status. I'm really looking forward to watching my bigmars doing starship troopers reenactments

Also good call on ignoring Cupola man, imma do that as well

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Hey Beer4TheBeerGod, can you hook me up with data on a double heavy flamer Land Speeder per 100 pts?

Heavy flamers will be murder against most things under T5, and their overwatch abilities just make them that much better.

Antihorde seems to have options. Snipers to remove character buffs, other hordes, flamer and flamer overwatch are all good. Blast weapons seem to be the biggest letdown for both anti-horde and anti-armour duties.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here you go!

pre:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turns out Marines with Flamers are extremely efficient. The efficiency of the Flamer helps even if you focus on squads that can take multiples such as Company Veterans and even Biker Veterans (the added pair of rapid-firing boltguns helps offset the price of the bike).

If you're taking requests how do the space marine flyers work out? They seem like they might be a good option since gaunts and genestealers literally have no way of attacking them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

I always get excited when I see a ton of posts in this thread, but then I realize half of them are from that chutche guy, who I have on ignore so :shrug:

DC area hams:
I'm on vacation when 8th drops. I know, I'm an idiot. I'm back Monday and am taking off an extra day (Tuesday). If anyone's got time, I'd love to get a game of 8th edition in. Hit me up!

I might be able to do something in the evening.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here you go!

pre:

Checking your math here, I think you halved the result for Inceptors--they have 2 assault bolters each, so they fire 6 shots per turn, not 3. That ups their gaunt score to 4.44

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone who's ordering books directly from GW; are they all being delivered on Saturday? Has anyone gotten a date that's before Saturday? What about third party vendors?

I'm pissed as hell at the local Games Workshop. The store owner is a great guy, but corporate has some idiotic policies and it's pissing me off that I'm basically paying more money for less service.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Sure, let me put it together.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pendent posted:

Pretty stoked about Blood Angels finally being able to run a heavy flamer devastator squad, not gonna lie. If only it was viable to drop pod them in...

deploy your pods on the board, at the line of scrimmage, instead of using the drop pod assault rule. Your devs will be inside the pod if the other guy gets first turn, taking shelter; on your turn the flamer squad can disembark 3 inches, move 6 inches (into cover hopefully), and flame away

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I do need to work on my positioning some. But so last game, I had some guardsmen come out of a chimera and open up on some hormagaunts, killing several. Was a special weapon squad with 3 flamers, killed 10 including the chimera's weapons (There was another squad inside I hadn't disembarked yet firing the lasguns). But they weren't able to overwatch because they just charged into the chimera and piled in.

After firing and him taking gaunts off the back, with the guardsmen about 8 inches from the gaunts and the chimera 5 or so inches behind, he had the gaunts move up to be 1.0001 inches from the guardsmen and declared a charge on the chimera, had a few go past the guardsmen to engage the chimera, then the rest piled into them so they couldn't use the flamers anymore. In all it wasn't that advantageous for him since it was about 180 points of guardsmen + chimera vs 150 pts of hormagaunts and he had to send his tyrant in to kill the chimera, just illustrating how I need to work on my positioning because it's so easy to deny over watches with these pile ins if I'm not careful. I hadn't considered how easy it'd be to just go past my lines to charge stuff behind them. Him committing to that flank let me deep strike my terminators there to kill the tyrant as it was fighting my chimera.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anyone who's ordering books directly from GW; are they all being delivered on Saturday? Has anyone gotten a date that's before Saturday? What about third party vendors?

I'm pissed as hell at the local Games Workshop. The store owner is a great guy, but corporate has some idiotic policies and it's pissing me off that I'm basically paying more money for less service.

My experience with GW preorders is that they ship them the day of release, so you won't get them for a few days unless you arranged to pick them up in-store

This is why I just go to my FLGS for stuff I want right away, cause I can get it on the Thurs/Fri before release. This isn't strictly allowed, so you need a cool store owner to let you do it. I think they just don't report the sales until the following Saturday

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

Checking your math here, I think you halved the result for Inceptors--they have 2 assault bolters each, so they fire 6 shots per turn, not 3. That ups their gaunt score to 4.44

Good catch.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
There's no way in the current index books to take a Contemptor Dreadnaught with two of those absurd assault cannon things, is there? That gun is savage.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

WhiteWolf123 posted:

There's no way in the current index books to take a Contemptor Dreadnaught with two of those absurd assault cannon things, is there? That gun is savage.

There might be something in the Forgeworld index for Contemptors.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

There might be something in the Forgeworld index for Contemptors.

The new forgeworld's table of contents has relic contemptors and mortis dreadnoughts.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
In theory, wouldn't turtling inside of vehicles for 3 turns lead to the Genestealers either having to come out and play or die? I'm not sure how easily gants can tear vehicles up, so that might buy some precious time.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

In theory, wouldn't turtling inside of vehicles for 3 turns lead to the Genestealers either having to come out and play or die? I'm not sure how easily gants can tear vehicles up, so that might buy some precious time.

It's something worth considering, but if gants surround your rhino you can't fall back and can't disembark, so you're pretty hosed unless it's a flyer. if I wanted to buy stormravens and valkyries it would work I think.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
GW gave me an email that they shipped my order.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here you go!

pre:
wooo salamanders!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Speaking of forgeworld stuff, you guys have any thoughts on tarantulas? I'm looking forward to seeing how they stack up against stuff like devastators for volume of fire.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MonsterEnvy posted:

GW gave me an email that they shipped my order.

When's the delivery date?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

I kind of like the first one the most, but I can work with these. Awesome!

Cool, thanks! I wish I had done a slightly better job, the Primaris marines this weekend will end up much smoother.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This turned out really great! Certainly not the mark of armor I was expecting, but you did pick the coolest mark. :cool:

:hfive:

I figured even after 10k years they still get forgotten about. I think the MkIII really suits them, even in a 40k setting.

For 8th I'm going to try and make custom grav bikes, unless GW beats me to it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

When's the delivery date?

Don't know it's not listed yet.

Edit Actually looking it appears they just got everything ready for the shipment but have not sent it yet.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They shipped mine, but it's going to the store. It'll be delivered by tomorrow, but I don't know if I'll be able to pick it up early or not.

I should be able to, right?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Zuul the Cat posted:

They shipped mine, but it's going to the store. It'll be delivered by tomorrow, but I don't know if I'll be able to pick it up early or not.

8th ed stuff? No.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

Nope. Just called earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It would depend on the store, generally speaking. I know my FLGS has given me some preorder stuff a few days early before but then I would imagine GW is probably pretty up-tight about the 8th ed launch.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Locked thread