Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spiritus Nox posted:

A huge part of the reason things are as hosed as they are is people insisting that you can only care about one thing at a time

HEALTHCARE/RUSSIA IS JUST A DISTRACTION FROM RUSSIA/HEALTHCARE

the media focus on russia is problematic in that there's a limited amount of front page space and a limited amount of tv news time

but really the problem is mcconnell has smothered any stories the media could do on health care by blocking any information about the actual bill from leaking in solid enough form, so the only story that can be done is process stories that the media and the public just don't find that interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

yes, because you will believe what you want to believe no matter what

the number of people who thought democrats were fighting this up until the point they thought one specific tactic wasn't useful and now don't is

uh

well, maybe five people

like they've been as vehement on the issue as possible but sometimes you can't make the media focus on what they should focus on or you want them to focus on

evilweasel, tell me more about how people who think that the GOP will succeed in repealing the ACA are brokebrained idiots.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

evilweasel, tell me more about how people who think that the GOP will succeed in repealing the ACA are brokebrained idiots.

tell me more about completely different subject than the one being discussed, man with soup for brains

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Guys just quietly roll over on the healthcare poor people genocide bill, it's way more important to focus on more nebulous Russia poo poo that absolutely has more of an effect on everyday Americans than their soon to be gone healthcare.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

tell me more about completely different subject than the one being discussed, man with soup for brains

Pardon me for thinking that your serial record of making dead wrong predictions is germane when you're making predictions, I guess?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

Pardon me for thinking that your serial record of making dead wrong predictions is germane when you're making predictions, I guess?

yeah ok idiot

if you can actually support any of the dumb things you say by all means try but if all you have is brokebrains poo poo why the hell are you posting

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nothus posted:

Guys just quietly roll over on the healthcare poor people genocide bill, it's way more important to focus on more nebulous Russia poo poo that absolutely has more of an effect on everyday Americans than their soon to be gone healthcare.

It isn't rolling over. There's nothing they can do about it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It isn't rolling over. There's nothing they can do about it.

Make a stink so that Republican voters who depend on it notice it is happening?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BarbarianElephant posted:

Make a stink so that Republican voters who depend on it notice it is happening?

They are. There's still nothing they can do in the senate to stop or delay it in any way whatsoever.

Like that's how we change things for 2018 but there ain't a drat thing that can be done any earlier than that.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
https://twitter.com/rossbaird/status/874454133700427777

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nothus posted:

What, specifically, should Democrats do that they're not already doing? I'm seeing and hearing all of my elected officials speaking out, and a whole bunch of others, but that's obviously not enough to stop McConnell.

So, I put to you, what specific things do the Democrats have in their bag of tricks to stop the GOP healthcare bill?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Azathoth posted:

What, specifically, should Democrats do that they're not already doing? I'm seeing and hearing all of my elected officials speaking out, and a whole bunch of others, but that's obviously not enough to stop McConnell.

So, I put to you, what specific things do the Democrats have in their bag of tricks to stop the GOP healthcare bill?

this, apparently:

https://twitter.com/alexwagner/status/874729182235959302

oh wait, trump just did that himself

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Please god let everything pass smoothly and then have Trump veto the bill.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
christ you guys gave me a heart attack when i saw 70 new posts but it was just a retarded slap fight.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

this, apparently:

https://twitter.com/alexwagner/status/874729182235959302

oh wait, trump just did that himself

Could still be a Dem gambit! A President so easily manipulated isn't JUST a tool for the forces of evil.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

baquerd posted:

Please god let everything pass smoothly and then have Trump veto the bill.

The moment Trump vetoes a massive tax cut masquerading as a healthcare bill for being "too mean" is the moment you'll see some congressional Rs stroke their chins about this whole Russia thing.

Pence will do as he's told.

no, I don't actually believe this will happen

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's Politico, so take it with a grain of salt, but I just ran across this: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/13/senate-democrats-save-obamacare-239493

Edited to fix link.

Azathoth fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 14, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Azathoth posted:

It's Politico, so take it with a grain of salt, but I just ran across this: http://www.politico.com/stop/2017/06/13/senate-democrats-save-obamacare-239493

Uh, removed already?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

baquerd posted:

Uh, removed already?

Was this the article?

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
You are but the grease for the wheels of his rule.

A big flaming stink posted:

christ you guys gave me a heart attack when i saw 70 new posts but it was just a retarded slap fight.

When is it not?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tiax Rules All posted:

When is it not?

Sometimes its a slapfight over something that happened.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

it's not even this, this is not what's being discussed, what is being discussed is a tiny tactical issue

what is being discussed is basically if they should gum up the works of the senate by denying unanimous consent in a way that'll block the russia sanctions bill and the sessions hearing in the hopes it gets more media coverage

it won't block the ahca or delay it at all

it's not about should they cooperate with republicans or fight: they're fighting, it's if the very minor additional chance of getting attention by blocking the sessions hearing and the russia bill will be worth it even if it wrecks both those things

that's it, period

Those things are much much much much less important than healthcare​ so maybe making headlines by delaying a pointless hearing with a guy who won't answer questions and a vote on sanctions that Republicans want anyway would be worth it to have the media talk about Republicans' secret kill the poor bill.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/FoxReports/status/874740147836911616

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, that's the one, thanks for finding it. I'll edit my post.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
It'd be much more effective to have any Dem doing a TV or Radio hit pivot halfway through the point they were brought on to discuss.

"Thank you, Don. I agree that the situation in Qatar is very unusual, and the President needs to tread carefully with the number of strategic.... pardon me. Speaking of unusual situations, can you believe that Republicans are hiding the bill that their own analysis projects will markedly increase premiums, cause uninsured rates to spike, reduce the coverage for those on employer plans, and kill loads of their constituents?"

It seems like the ask is that Democrats engage in (technically) unprecedented obstruction in order to draw media attention to the horrific bill. Which is a fine strategy, except where it relies on the corporate and right wing media prioritizing the object awfulness of the bill rather than the Democratic obstruction. If y'all want to trust Lucy to hold the football this time, that's fine... but I've seen no indication that the Media has stopped fetishizing BothSides narratives.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Azathoth posted:

Make a spectacle of it. That followup Politico story is what I'm talking about. I know it's a lost cause, but the theater of this matters for 2018- you want to be portrayed as going down fighting rather than just meekly surrendering because people are going to loving hate this bill. You want to make sure every GOP shitbag owns their vote for this horror show.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nothus posted:

Make a spectacle of it. That followup Politico story is what I'm talking about. I know it's a lost cause, but the theater of this matters for 2018- you want to be portrayed as going down fighting rather than just meekly surrendering because people are going to loving hate this bill. You want to make sure every GOP shitbag owns their vote for this horror show.

I'd say they're doing exactly that, if my email, RSS reader, radio, and TV are any indication, and I am in a light red swing district (MN-1) which has no incumbent in 2018 because our Democrat rep is running for governor, so we're gonna be a battleground once 2018 campaigning heats up.

I see them making as much noise as possible, but I think anyone who thinks that they're surrendering on this needs to take a deep, bullshit-cleansing breath and come to grips with just how little power Democrats have right now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The senate democrats could all just stay home and not show up and the same bills are going to pass regardless.

It'd be more honest.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It would be a bad move, not only because it would give Republicans a seemingly-legit gripe about Democrats not participating when they totes want to bring them into the process, but also because it would prevent them from doing all the minor procedural fuckery they have been doing to slow poo poo down like requiring full votes on stuff that used to be done by unanimous consent.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The good news is Trump has been trying to torpedo the bill today so who knows what the gently caress will happen.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Can someone explain to me why the original ACA senate vote didn't follow the 51 senators reconciliation rules at the outset in order to sidestep bad Democrats back in 2009/2010? We would have gotten a more robust law that would have been a hell of a lot harder politically to dismantle. I realize reconciliation was used when Scott Brown won, but I've never understood the blame Lieberman gets when the GOP is using reconciliation votes right out of the gate. What was it about the original ACA that required 60 votes?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MooselanderII posted:

Can someone explain to me why the original ACA senate vote didn't follow the 51 senators reconciliation rules at the outset in order to sidestep bad Democrats back in 2009/2010? We would have gotten a more robust law that would have been a hell of a lot harder politically to dismantle. I realize reconciliation was used when Scott Brown won, but I've never understood the blame Lieberman gets when the GOP is using reconciliation votes right out of the gate. What was it about the original ACA that required 60 votes?

They wanted it to seem bi-partisan and was during the magical time where Obama and the Dems thought they could reach across the aisle to prevent any trouble down the line.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Paracaidas posted:

It'd be much more effective to have any Dem doing a TV or Radio hit pivot halfway through the point they were brought on to discuss.

"Thank you, Don. I agree that the situation in Qatar is very unusual, and the President needs to tread carefully with the number of strategic.... pardon me. Speaking of unusual situations, can you believe that Republicans are hiding the bill that their own analysis projects will markedly increase premiums, cause uninsured rates to spike, reduce the coverage for those on employer plans, and kill loads of their constituents?"

I would love to see Dems universally start doing this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MooselanderII posted:

They did use reconciliation for part of it though.

Go to the house section: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act#Healthcare_debate.2C_2008.E2.80.9310

quote:

House

House vote by congressional district.
Democratic yes (219)
Democratic no (34)
Republican no (178)
No representative seated (4)
Brown's election meant Democrats could no longer break a filibuster in the Senate. In response, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel argued that Democrats should scale back to a less ambitious bill; House Speaker Nancy Pelosi pushed back, dismissing Emanuel's scaled-down approach as "Kiddie Care".[182][183]

Obama remained insistent on comprehensive reform. The news that Anthem Blue Cross in California intended to raise premium rates for its patients by as much as 39% gave him new evidence of the need for reform.[182][183] On February 22, he laid out a "Senate-leaning" proposal to consolidate the bills.[184] He held a meeting with both parties' leaders on February 25. The Democrats decided that the House would pass the Senate's bill, to avoid another Senate vote.

House Democrats had expected to be able to negotiate changes in a House-Senate conference before passing a final bill. Since any bill that emerged from conference that differed from the Senate bill would have to pass the Senate over another Republican filibuster, most House Democrats agreed to pass the Senate bill on condition that it be amended by a subsequent bill.[181] They drafted the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act, which could be passed by the reconciliation process.[182][185][186]

As per the Congressional Budget Act of 1974, reconciliation cannot be subject to a filibuster. But reconciliation is limited to budget changes, which is why the procedure was not used to pass ACA in the first place; the bill had inherently non-budgetary regulations.[187][188] Although the already-passed Senate bill could not have been passed by reconciliation, most of House Democrats' demands were budgetary: "these changes—higher subsidy levels, different kinds of taxes to pay for them, nixing the Nebraska Medicaid deal—mainly involve taxes and spending. In other words, they're exactly the kinds of policies that are well-suited for reconciliation."[185]

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 14, 2017

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

MooselanderII posted:

The regulations on the insurance market and on private employers.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Zil posted:

They wanted it to seem bi-partisan and was during the magical time where Obama and the Dems thought they could reach across the aisle to prevent any trouble down the line.

I mean it became apparent by the vote that GOP support was a long dead pipe dream, while core components were being held up by a handful of Democrats and had to be scrapped. Did no one seriously think of doing that until Scott Brown won?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MooselanderII posted:

Ted Kennedy was still alive when they started. And nobody expected Massachusets to elect a Republican senator.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Gotcha. So how on earth is reconciliation appropriate for the AHCA? Is it just because it solely tinkers with funding mechanisms?

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Ted Kennedy was still alive when they started. And nobody expected Massachusets to elect a Republican senator.

From the above wiki article, 60 votes were required to create substantive laws governing the insurance industry in the first place, so I guess all of those votes really were necessary to get the ball rolling. I do wonder if a public option and expanded medicare coverage could have fallen within the scope of appropriate reconciliation, as the AHCA shows that reconciliation can potentially be used in somewhat broad and creative ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Zil posted:

This "Dems had 60 votes but pissed it away by being pussies" sentiment is false history. Lieberman had basically no fealty to the Dems at that point, and Ted Kennedy was already incapacitated by the time Al Franken was officially sworn in after his recount. They wanted it to be bipartisan because they thought they might need it to be. As it is they had basically a three-month window between the interim appointment and the special election and Lieberman required them to lose the public option which is the entire reason Republicans have been able to fearlessly cripple it for the last six years.