Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Really I just can't deny that Odyssey looks like the most joyous video game to come out in a long time, and I say that as someone who likes many many current video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm still sitting here amazed at two future Metroid games.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
"I wish it was a sequel to Other M"
-a very small yet vocal minority

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

Sakamoto will find someway to ruin the 3ds one

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Sakamoto will find someway to ruin the 3ds one

He was okay working on Super Metroid and he doesn't have to write anything, it'll be fine.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Instead of getting a power after every Metroid fight, she breaks down into tears and calls Adam who unlocks a new powerup to cheer her up.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Her suit gradually gets shot off a la The 3rd Birthday

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

yeah at least Other M didn't force you to kill Samus

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Prime 4 is not being made by Retro Studios. Doesn't mean it won't be amazing but makes that slightly iffier

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

Prime 4 is not being made by Retro Studios. Doesn't mean it won't be amazing but makes that slightly iffier

There better not be a glut of pointless npcs like mp3. I much prefer the isolated vibe of prime 1 and previous

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's fine, Retro is not really Retro anymore anyway, but then part of the people that left formed Armature and made that bad 2.5D Batman metroidvania and that mock-up for a third person shooter mega man so maybe they purged the bad devs.

They at least got rid of the scumbag that made The Guy Game.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The 3DS metroid looks so good and I love that they're doing stuff with it that you could only do on the 3DS.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Phantasium posted:

That's fine, Retro is not really Retro anymore anyway, but then part of the people that left formed Armature and made that bad 2.5D Batman metroidvania and that mock-up for a third person shooter mega man so maybe they purged the bad devs.

They at least got rid of the scumbag that made The Guy Game.

Wow how the hell did he end up working under Nintendo?

Saint Freak posted:

Her suit gradually gets shot off a la The 3rd Birthday

If they did this in a non fanservice way, like Arkham Batman, it would own

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 13, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Retro was a trash fire when Nintendo first contracted them, wasting their money on expensive cars and poo poo like that.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

haveblue posted:

I wouldn't call it a manga, Neil Gaiman is English and the series was drawn for DC by western artists.

That's a widespread misconception.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phantasium posted:

He was okay working on Super Metroid and he doesn't have to write anything, it'll be fine.

The writing was far from the only thing he ruined on Other M.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

No Nintendo, I'm not going to have hope just so you can rip it away again.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Spencer wants to bring the Xbox Emulation and Play Anywhere to PC

Just a wish for now, but it could be something they actually work in given that Microsoft now bridges the Xbone and Win10 on almost everything.

Spencer says a lot of poo poo and never delivers, or it's done in an extremely half-assed and broken way like everything Microsoft has done with their gaming division and arguably everything else.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

The writing was far from the only thing he ruined on Other M.

I'm not seeing the version of the 3DS with two buttons that it has to be made on, either.

If you can mash the d-pad to dodge enemies I'll be worried.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

i'd still like something set after fusion, where samus has directly disobeyed the federation and destroyed their secret research outpost

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't own a Switch but I thought Nintendo put on a good show. Mario Odyssey looks fun. I'll be happy with HZD and Uncharted DLC to close out 2017. On the indie side, I hope Hellblade and Tacoma end up being good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Looper posted:

i'd still like something set after fusion, where samus has directly disobeyed the federation and destroyed their secret research outpost

"The federation is secretly evil" is an angle I never cared for in the Metroid series and it seemed to me to miss the point of what the games should be about. Plus even the ending of Fusion almost directly says that the federation will get over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFKusOerZDA&t=10027s

God, the writing is so lovely even in Fusion.

What I'd like is a sequel to Fusion where Samus' weird part-metroid body keeps morphing into weird new power-ups.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Looper posted:

Oh yeah me too. I really liked the fusion redesign and I though that it looked great in 3D.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Some dude just transitioned into a break in the treehouse stream by announcing a game that hadn't been announced yet lol

It's a Superstar Saga remake with a new mode where you play as goombas. It looks really good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

an actual dog posted:

Some dude just transitioned into a break in the treehouse stream by announcing a game that hadn't been announced yet lol

It's a Superstar Saga remake with a new mode where you play as goombas. It looks really good.

Captain Goomba? Where's Captain Toad??

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Looper posted:

Captain Goomba? Where's Captain Toad??

CT is a lover not a fighter

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

an actual dog posted:

superstar saga but now every five minutes theres a tutorial

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

corn in the bible posted:

superstar saga but now every five minutes theres a tutorial

So, nothing is different

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dunky sums up my e3 feelings pretty well in this review https://youtu.be/7o8IcA66K9A

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

tap my mountain posted:

Wow how the hell did he end up working under Nintendo?

If they did this in a non fanservice way, like Arkham Batman, it would own

Jeff Spangenberg was the founder of Iguana Entertainment (Turok, South Park, etc), and had a very close relationship with Nintendo. When he was fired from Acclaim (who acquired Iguana), he worked with Nintendo to continue the same relationship they had with the Nintendo 64 through Retro Studios. However, Retro was heavily mismanaged with a revolving door of employees. Nintendo acquired Retro to save their investment.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Sunning posted:

Jeff Spangenberg was the founder of Iguana Entertainment (Turok, South Park, etc), and had a very close relationship with Nintendo. When he was fired from Acclaim (who acquired Iguana), he worked with Nintendo to continue the same relationship they had with the Nintendo 64 through Retro Studios. However, Retro was heavily mismanaged with a revolving door of employees. Nintendo acquired Retro to save their investment.

I remember seeing a review for The Guy Game. It got like a 8 or 9 out of 10 and I was like how the hell.

Then I saw that it was a review by Tommy Tallarico.

And that's when I first learned about collusion

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ah, The Guy Game. A game so bad that it's technically illegal to own

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I remember seeing a review for The Guy Game. It got like a 8 or 9 out of 10 and I was like how the hell.

Then I saw that it was a review by Tommy Tallarico.

And that's when I first learned about collusion

With knowledge like that, you may be more qualified to become the next Attorney General of the United States.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Looper posted:

i want something set stylistically after fusion, where the horror elements are brought more closely into the scenario/monster design

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

"The federation is secretly evil" is an angle I never cared for in the Metroid series and it seemed to me to miss the point of what the games should be about. Plus even the ending of Fusion almost directly says that the federation will get over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFKusOerZDA&t=10027s

God, the writing is so lovely even in Fusion.

What I'd like is a sequel to Fusion where Samus' weird part-metroid body keeps morphing into weird new power-ups.

The reason it's a lovely angle is because the series is at its best when it's channeling Alien with that feeling of isolation and just killing incomprehensible strange aliens in an even stranger world.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To be fair "the people your working for are secretly evil" is a pretty big part of Alien

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Metroid games should not have more words beyond "Morph Ball Acquired"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
True, but it wasn't the focus of the narrative. The Federation wanting to capture a Metrod for their own use could work but I'd still stand by the assertion that "less is more" when it comes to capturing that feeling of isolation, hence why the new Alien movies have been less compelling.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
oh god drat they're going to make me buy two more amiibos.

At least the metroid one is actually squishy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

metroid fusion is my favorite 2d one but zero mission is good too

• Locked thread